Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2012, 04:51   #31
BHPian

Re: Dealing with airport Customs: Carrying expensive electronics bought IN India

Hi Scorpiobharat,

I think custom guys have their own price lists , so even if you have a bill they will calculate duty as per their list only.
Old 1st May 2012, 07:04   #32
BHPian

Re: Dealing with airport Customs: Carrying expensive electronics bought IN India

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I have a query regarding Customs at airport.

If i buy a home theater from Craigslist where sometimes a bose Home Theater can be got for 800$. There are many people who sell as they got this as a thanksgiving / christmas / new year gift. It retails at 1500 outside but people are willing to sell at 800USD.

How will the customs officer calculate duties for the same? First hand product will have bill but one purchased off craigslist would not have and since its a cash transaction, how will it be conluded ?
How long were you abroad is also equally important. If I recall correct, the the exemption bracket is small for a short term trip.

Also based on my exprience, a home theatre system (unless its an in-your-face-flashy) generally doesn't elicit much of a response. This might vary on your port of entry in India too. Most of mine was via B'lore. So far, if you don't have too many expensive items, the customs have been reasonable and let me go free.

Considering that 2 check-in bags are allowed from US, might be prudent to split the system into 2 as well. Since bose setups aren't that bulky, this might be of advantage to you.

P.S.: You could still try to get one with a purchase bill. Might give you something to haggle about.
Old 4th September 2013, 14:45   #33
BHPian

Hi guys

Recently the Indian govt. has stopped allowing TV's to be brought through customs for free and now you have to pay 35% of amount as tax.Well my relative from Oman who was staying in Oman is in the process of settling back to India. He is coming to India to his house and intends to bring his old 42"LED TV with. I'd like to know is the 35% rule applicable on old tv's too which the person might have owned for a 1 year+ , and if its applicable then how do they charge tax, I mean on the old invoice amount or any other way. And if it is not applicable then what documentation does my relative require to get his tv back with him without paying tax?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks