Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would a regular IT Joe be able to purchase a BMW in his life time ?
Yes 135 53.78%
No 116 46.22%
Voters: 251. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 01:08   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Would a regular IT Joe be able to purchase a BMW in his life time ?

Normal IT Joe? Beg, fight, threaten , jump the queue etc., get a long term onsite assignment, get an international licence, save some good $£€, buy a pre-owned well maintained luxury car, drive it in roads that do justice to the cars, sell them off for a small loss when you return to India. Period.
kiku007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 07:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Of course it is possible to buy a Beemer (certainly a w124 or preowned ones). I can buy a BMW tomorrow. But I dont think I will be able to maintain it. The ORVMs cost 80000INR. Cost of the adaptive CC's IR camera is more than 5000$ in US. And this list goes on.

Maybe someone like noopster can answer this.
Dot,
Thanks for visiting this thread. Where is our PUNE IT Brigade ?
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:48   #33
BHPian

Should not be difficult in my opinion. The salary may be 30l per annum, but post tax it is only about 20l. That has to take care of EMIs, food, education, and other expense. As a self employed architect, we have a turnover of around 50l. But after consultant payments, salaries, office rent and running expense manage to just about make ends meet, a little comfortably. So everytime I think of buying a car, I cannot think of spending over 6-7l bracket. My first car was an ikon when I had no responsibilities. The second one was a baleno. And now I have moved down to figo titanium. So in real terms, I have downgraded. But that's the max I could afford considering other liabilities. Have booked a house thhough, which I will get in 2012.
Old 3rd August 2011, 08:59   #34
BHPian

I have been working in the IT industry for the last 10 years. I am an IIT madras and an IIM calcutta alumni. My starting salary ten years back was around 3 lakhs and not 12 like what the rest of the world thinks mbas get. Could I buy and maintain a 3 series now? Yes. Would I want to? Probably not. My priorities have changed over the years. Senior It managers make less people in the finance industry.
hajaar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:19   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Well I already have 3.5 yrs of exp and I think if all goes well i should be getting that some of money after 12 - 14 years. At that point I would be around 42 years. Well I guess yes one can buy but when he would be in a position to buy such a thing his age to enjoy that thing would have passed. Thats the irony...
Err..wait. I am 42, and you are saying I am no more capable of enjoying? Pass the walking stick please.

May be what I am doing these days is just suffering? Check out how I suffered this weekend: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...lthangady.html (4x4 Nature Riders OTR at Belthangady)

Just last week a 50+ DBHPian (suman) bought a BMW X1, I guess he was deluding himself.

Actually I came very close to leasing a BMW 328i back in 2000, but the service/parts/insurance cost bothered me a lot. So settled for a Acura 3.2TL instead. I was just 31 then, hopefully not too old in your books.

Check this guy's suffering at the age of 51: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...hours-iba.html

DBHPian HVK who goes all around the country all the time, is in his late 40s. Sudev, another DBHPian who does lot of rally organization, and does 50K kms in his GV every year is also in his 50s. I am sure I can come up with lot more, but this should suffice.

Truth is one can enjoy lot more in the 40s/50s compared to 20s because of better finance. You just have to be physical and mentally up to it, like lot of us are.
Samurai is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:00   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Would a regular IT Joe
It all depends on the family and other things one has to support. An average IT guy working in India will NOT be able to buy one.
A young IT couple will be able to buy provided they have all the basic necessities of life met.But again they wont fall in regular IT category.Just above that.
Maintenance will be a different story alltogther.
What is the point in buying an elephant if one cannot feed it.Eventually it will die or will be sold.

Last edited by bullboy : 3rd August 2011 at 10:14.
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:10   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Truth is one can enjoy lot more in the 40s/50s compared to 20s because of better finance. You just have to be physical and mentally up to it, like lot of us are.
We also need to keep in mind that a regular IT Joe would not be physically fit in his 40s/50s because of his unhealthy lifestyle - overdose of junk food, lack of exercise, irregular working hours and job stress.

On a lighter note, there is one way in which a regular IT Joe can afford a BMW. In typical David Dhavan-Govinda movie style - marry the daughter of a billionaire.

Rohan
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:28   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
We also need to keep in mind that a regular IT Joe would not be physically fit in his 40s/50s because of his unhealthy lifestyle - overdose of junk food, lack of exercise, irregular working hours and job stress.

On a lighter note, there is one way in which a regular IT Joe can afford a BMW. In typical David Dhavan-Govinda movie style - marry the daughter of a billionaire.

Rohan
Regular IT Joe, I cycle to work since mid June 2011.
This month not going to be cycling as Ramzan has started.

Last year had started up on Yoga (early morning) and before that did aerobics(In office campus, evenings).

The idea is to bring in a exercise regimen that works.
Find something that works around your lifestyle.

My exercise regimen is not targeted at weight loss. But strength and stamina. So I can keep riding my bike even when I am 80 or older.
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:37   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
That makes me an irregular IT Joe then!!! Am on the very wrong side of 40

But, I am healthier than I was 10 years ago
I exercise hard,
Junk food - that is a choice irrespective of age
Irregular working hours - You need to assert and strive for balance
Job stress - I find exercise helps offset this.

Oh, i bought my more fanicer cars only in my 40's!
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:39   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Dot,
Thanks for visiting this thread. Where is our PUNE IT Brigade ?
Right here sir.
My answer is : Probably not. Atleast for me. Because I hate EMIs.
I could buy my car last year only because I am single and had no other responsibilities as such.
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:49   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Here are my 2 cents as I am one of these IT Joes.

I did my MBA from Symbiosis Center for Info Tech. Got campus placed in American Express. Before you guys get excited I must tell you that I am in a dept which supports the Tech needs of Business teams. So majorely it is a support dept. So I would not consider myself very different from a regular IT Joe.

Now according to my calculations and assumptions for a person to buy a car which exceeds his 1 year of salary is very very difficult unless he gets some support from outside or he is using some savings. So what I will consider here is that at the max a person can buy a car whose price is equal to his 1 years salary (Even this is very difficult) and he takes a 5 year loan for it.

So the cheapest 3 series should completely cost around 32-34 lakhs. I am not considering here the corporate edition. So that means when one's annual salary is around 35 Lakhs then one can think of getting a beemer. Now if you would ask me when can I imagine me getting 35 lakhs per year. Well I already have 3.5 yrs of exp and I think if all goes well i should be getting that some of money after 12 - 14 years. At that point I would be around 42 years. Well I guess yes one can buy but when he would be in a position to buy such a thing his age to enjoy that thing would have passed. Thats the irony...
Agreed; only, one is his early 40s would have whole lot of family responbilities. While someone with a 35 Lacs pay packet can afford a 3 series, there are other things such as saving for children's education, house loan EMIs/repayment, medcal insurance for the family etc. take priority, and a BMW (or maybe even a Passat etc.) would surely take a backseat. Also, it is true that one may not feel the same in driving a BMW in mid forties as one would have in early 30s, though I do not generalize.

People having a pay packets of 30+ in early thirties are better equipped to buy a 3 series/C class. And for that, either one has to come from a pretty rich family, or must've come from some premier business school such as IIMs with a top notch MNC job. I must say that Premier B-school degree is possibly a necessary condition, though definitely not sufficient - it is also a factor of how fast one can rise as a professional.

So I feel the probability of too many regular IT people affording a BMW is much lower than the category of people I mentioned above.
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:53   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
You guys are exceptions, but the general trend in the IT industry is that of an unhealthy lifestyle.

Tell me, what would be the percentage of people in your company who live a healthy lifestyle (regular exercise + healthy diet + regular working hours) ?

Most people in the IT industry start exercising only to reduce their beer bellies slightly, so that they can fit back into their clothes.

Rohan
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:58   #43
Team-BHP Support

Somebody here said, you can get a 20 year loan for a 50 L house, but not for a 20L car.
All I ask is, do you even need to get a loan.
Many people here, including those in their 30s, have a house on EMIs appreciated to a large degree.
Sell the house, move in on rent, and buy a BMW, whats stopping you. Its all about priorities buddy. If your priority is to live life king size, you will do so.
Kids education sapping up funds? Do not make such silly excuses. Its sapping up funds because you want it to sap up funds. Put your kids in a govt/KV school and for less than 500 a month you can teach your kids.
Fire that 1000/hour tution teacher. If kids can't pass without tution, its their problem. not yours.

But then these are called priorities, right? So fix your priorities, and that BMW/Merc/Audi will come calling.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

If your support cast(wife) is as messy as you are when it comes to spending and saving, i guess you can get a BMW around 30-33. You will have a huge 15L loan but what the heck, you will drive a 3 series with envy all around your neighbourhood.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:07   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Last year had started up on Yoga (early morning) and before that did aerobics(In office campus, evenings).

The idea is to bring in a exercise regimen that works.
Find something that works around your lifestyle.

My exercise regimen is not targeted at weight loss. But strength and stamina. So I can keep riding my bike even when I am 80 or older.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

But, I am healthier than I was 10 years ago
I exercise hard,
Sorry to say but you two are not in the club of regular Joe.

The keyword is REGULAR.

And there will be 20 regular ones for 1 dynamic one.

You two Gentlemen tell me this.
How many of your colleagues of you follow a regimen similar to you? And how many don't? And then, which group is Bigger??

And please keep the background profile of a regular Joe also in mind. A REGULAR IT Joe most probably comes from a smaller town from a middle class family. And usually wants to buy a house in the Metro so that he settles there.

Again the Keyword is Regular.
If you live an average life then expect only an average life.
Its a tyranny of middle class that first and the only thing imprinted in the mind of a young kid is that "Getting a Job is the only and the best thing in this world. Business is risky.". They are told only stories of guy who tired to venture out on their own and failed. Not the success stories.

Reminds me of movie Matrix. The human capsules whose only purpose was to fuel the matrix. Middle class is also like that. We live in an imaginary world. And actually we are losing out on life.

Ok I went OT. Where was I?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks