Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 16:31   #16
BHPian

Re: Need help - An obscene caller stalking a friend

@Windride,
When i block a number in my handset (Samsung Wave), i dont get any call or indication that i am getting a call. It will just be in the call log as a missed call.
Old 17th August 2011, 16:38   #17
BHPian

Why don't you just set call forward if didn't answer to someone else number. May be police or yourself.
Old 17th August 2011, 16:38   #18
BHPian

Call 1096 and report it to Delhi Police. Ask your friend to give her office address rather than her residential address (as it is in Delhi), just to be on the safer side. No need to go anywhere, everything is done via telephone.
Old 17th August 2011, 16:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
If she approaches Delhi Police, will they act on her complaint. And what if the caller doesn't even fall in their jurisdiction?
As your friend is working in Delhi, it is a bonafide complaint.
Let me ask a question. Does your friend has any idea on who the caller is by any chance and is he calling from the same number?
Contact the cyber cell and try to locate the person after which it will be easier to solve the issue.
Old 17th August 2011, 16:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
@Windride,
When i block a number in my handset (Samsung Wave), i dont get any call or indication that i am getting a call. It will just be in the call log as a missed call.
Thats a feature of the handset (call manager), what it does is that it puts the ringer on silent as soon as the unwanted call comes or in some handsets it disconnects as soon as the number is recognized as an unwanted number.

The same is provided by the service provider (Airtel) as well. Dunno if others have this option.

They have an advance call manager which blocks the calls and sms's at the switch level (service provider level) and gives a "not reachable" mssg to the unwanted caller. Airtel charges Rs. 30/- per month for this service.

It comes in handy for such cases and also the pesky tele-marketing numbers, which can easily be fed into the system online (through your login ID and P/W) and altered as per your requirement.
Old 17th August 2011, 16:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Does your friend has any idea on who the caller is by any chance and is he calling from the same number?
No, she has no idea who he is. And he has called from 3-4 numbers in the past.
Old 17th August 2011, 17:22   #22
BHPian

I think the best option would be to call the Helpline number setup by the Delhi Police. Also, ask your friend to be careful. I know how bad the stalkers in Delhi-NCR can be. There have been many cases where the stalker turned violent after he received warnings or when the girl stopped receiving the calls.
Old 17th August 2011, 17:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Such callers rarely use numbers that are registered in their names. So complaining to police on a specific number is not possible. If there is one number from which multiple calls are made, I guess tracking down is not difficult, since the service providers have collected the identification data already.

Perhaps she could exchange her number with some guy close to her (family/friend) for a few days, and inform her contacts to contact on a different number temporarily.
The stalker might lose interest after a guy answers the call at multiple occasions.

On not so serious note, I remember these incidents: Here is something evil that a friend of mine did when his girlfriend was harrassed like this. He posted that troubler's number on some job site, saying that number is to be contacted for some urgent requirement for freshers. The situation was so bad for that guy that he probably had to change his number.

I am against victimising innocents (in this case, freshers). When I was being troubled by someone, I gave that number to a number of friends and asked to call up and ask for Rajesh who owes them 5000 Rs. After 3 days, I gave a call from a landline and said I am Rajesh and if I had any calls. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a good friend of mine who had recently changed her number :(.

Last edited by rohanjf : 17th August 2011 at 17:28.
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 17:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

ntomer, best thing to do is give his number to few of your friends and bombard him with calls the moment he calls, and ofcourse talk in the language which none like to hear. am sure this will treat his illness!

this is a tried and tested method
Old 17th August 2011, 17:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

My cousin sister who is in college used to get such calls from some guy. Once when she was at my place, she complained to me. The next few times this guy called over the weekend, I put the phone near our TV and told him that he is free to hang up when he pleases - he's paying for the call and it doesn't cost me a dime to make him listen to my TV He stopped calling after that weekend.

Most of the time, I think these guys target women who they think are alone. A stern male voice at the end of the line (maybe a few times) is enough for most guys to stop calling.

Usually these guys make it sound like they have reached the wrong number by mistake. And when you tell them that they have the wrong number, the usual question is something like "May I know who's speaking?" or "Where are you speaking from?". My usual answer to such questions is: "You have the wrong number and the rest doesn't concern you".

Last edited by StarrySky : 17th August 2011 at 18:07. Reason: Spelling
StarrySky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 18:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

Next time, change your voice/accent and tell him that you are a police officer from the local police station and you have received a complaint that someone from his number is troubling a lady. Warn him that if he doesn't stop, you(police) will track him down and beat the living daylights out of him and see that he is put behind bars for mental harassment.

Try talking to your friend's mobile operator helpline too. Try tracing out whom the number belongs to, i know its difficult and mobile co will not help unless you file an FIR, but nothing wrong in trying.
Old 17th August 2011, 20:06   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Hope this helps...
Need help - An obscene caller stalking a friend-obscene.jpg

Anti-obscene calls cell a hit, says Delhi police chief - Hindustan Times
SS-Traveller is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 20:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Next time, change your voice/accent and tell him that...
@ntomer Tell your friend to get a Chinese handset which has an option of different type of voices, male, aged and so on. Could fool the caller.
Old 17th August 2011, 20:56   #29
BHPian

Does she not have any clue about the caller? Does she suspect anyone? Are all the calls from one or a few numbers? Are they all mobile numbers? If called from landline is it a phone booth? Can she judge the age from the voice? is it the same person everytime? Is there a pattern? time of day, frequency of calls etc. Is it a prepaid no? where does she recharge? Ask her to log everything. Ask her to also record the voice.

In most cases it might be someone around her home or work place. It might even be someone educated and putting up a show. Cops have the tech to catch them in no time. Best bet would be to find a senior cop who is known to family and friends.

I think they have waited too long.
Old 17th August 2011, 22:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

In case you she is using android, download an app named "Mobile manager". It can block calls, even pick up and hang up (in case you want a sweet little revenge). Blocks SMS too.
And you will not even know about it unless you enter the application.

Well there are plethora of such types of app. All you need is Android.

Last edited by oxyzen : 17th August 2011 at 22:24.
oxyzen is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks