Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2014, 11:44   #31
BHPian

Re: The wallets thread - Which one do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Can anyone suggest me a good retail shop in Chennai to buy some quality leather goods? I might need a wallet and a belt. A google search resulted in wholesale stores, but is there a good retail one that I can take a look online and then later go to the shop for the purchase?
I would recommend HiDesign in any prominent mall in Chennai.

And to the thread -

I have a couple of Adidas wallets and currently use the one in the pic
Attached Thumbnails
The wallets thread - Which one do you own-item_xl_4783135_1422991.jpg  

Last edited by CliffHanger : 13th April 2014 at 11:49.
Old 3rd April 2016, 19:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Here's mine from Hidesign. Looking forward to picking up a Mont Blanc along with a Mont Blanc Fountain Pen.

BTW is there a "Pen Thread"?
Attached Thumbnails
The wallets thread - Which one do you own-wallet-1.jpg  

The wallets thread - Which one do you own-wallet-2.jpg  

Old 4th April 2016, 00:00   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing exotic but I like it. Just that it cannot hold coins. It's a Titan:
The wallets thread - Which one do you own-image.jpg
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 15:25   #34
BHPian

My secrid wallet of almost 6 years old (Bought on 2 Sep 2015) (which I documented in here (The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?)) did not work yesterday.
To give you an idea of what did not work, here is how it should normally work (probably you have to open the GIF below in a new window).

The wallets thread - Which one do you own-cardprotector.gif

It has a patented mechanism to push cards out in a step fashion, which makes it is easier to pick one card. And the aluminium enclosure protects contactless payment, Smart ID and Tesla key cards safe from skimming. It is a simple but useful thing. The push mechanism is a simple spring return lever with a wedge shape on the other end of the handle inside the case. This pushes each card to different heights. Since 2016, they improved this lever design as the some pre 2016 models seem to have more breakages. Luckily, mine survived for the last (almost) 6 years.

Not pressing the lever, you can look at the wedge design of the lever and the location of pivot:

The wallets thread - Which one do you own-screenshot-20210816-114533.png

After pressing the handler, the wedge lever is supposed to move 90degrees, but it did only few degrees as the plastic broke (you can see my finger slightly in the left). Also visible is the spring mechanism:

The wallets thread - Which one do you own-screenshot-20210816-114825.png

These wallets normally carry 2 years warranty and 1 additional year, if registered. So I mailed them last night what would be an option to repair this/replace this with the upgraded handle. To my surprise, they said I can send them by post for free (pre-paid by them) and they will also fix it for free and send it back to me within a week. I am quite happy with the product and their customer service proves that why they have grown to become one of the most popular Dutch brand of wallets.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 16th August 2021 at 15:33.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 23:34   #35

Essentially, I used to prefer using Steel money clips in the US, but given that India is still CASH dominant, I wanted a MINIMALIST/ SLIM cash CLIP + Few Cards pullable by an elastic tab.

Kinda like this
Old 20th August 2021, 00:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
These wallets normally carry 2 years warranty and 1 additional year, if registered. So I mailed them last night what would be an option to repair this/replace this with the upgraded handle. To my surprise, they said I can send them by post for free (pre-paid by them) and they will also fix it for free and send it back to me within a week.
Here is a follow up of my service experience of the Secrid wallet.

15-08-2021 - Handle broke and mailed customer service
16-08-2021 - Customer service sent return instructions. I sent the wallet for repair
17-08-2021 - Received and repaired by Secrid
18-08-2021 - Sent from Secrid to me
19-08-2021 - Received at home

For an almost 6 year old wallet, whose warranty ended 3 years ago, I got a free replacement of the faulty old handle/wedge for a new one with improved design. But the icing on the cake is they polished up the leather a bit and also replaced the felt lining (which holds the cards in place within the aluminium enclosure) and sent it back just like how they send every new wallet to customers. Also they attached a note with the name of who repaired the wallet and when. The wallet works like new now. Customer service at it's best! Kudos !

Here is the packaging in which I received with the repair authorization and the name of person who repaired it :

The wallets thread - Which one do you own-img_5149.jpg

New handle/wedge with improved handle design. Also note difference in the thickness of the wedge and a different size and location of spring (compared to old wedge as shown in my previous post)

The wallets thread - Which one do you own-img_5152.jpg

The wallets thread - Which one do you own-img_5154.jpg

And the perfectly working wallet of a happy customer!

The wallets thread - Which one do you own-img_5165.jpg

The wallets thread - Which one do you own-img_5166.jpg

Cheers,
Karthik

Last edited by carthick1000 : 20th August 2021 at 00:34.
carthick1000 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 02:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Here is a follow up of my service experience of the Secrid wallet.
Have been looking at a Secrid wallet for a while now. Also tempted with a Ridgewallet, but have a feeling that it is seriously overpriced for what it actually offers. Do you have any thoughts on a choice between the 2? Looking for as slim as they come, mostly cards and hardly carry cash, maybe just 2 or 3 notes tops. No coins.

Thanks.
Old 20th August 2021, 03:12   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Do you have any thoughts on a choice between the 2? Looking for as slim as they come, mostly cards and hardly carry cash, maybe just 2 or 3 notes tops. No coins.
Have not seen Ridge wallets before. But seeing from their website working and pricing (starting at 85EUR for the card holder with money band) it is really absurd. You can buy a secrid card protector for 25EUR and a money band for 10EUR. Instead of money band you can choose a cardslide for 15EUR. And if I see the working of ridgewallet, taking one card is cumbersome as you have to always push all cards out and spread them to find out which card you need. But with Secrid, the mechanism spreads the cards for you. You can just push the rest of the cards in and pull out the card you need. It is really an outstanding way to take one of the cards. Only problem with Secrid is the 6 card limitation per card protector. But I use a miniwallet (as in picture see post #36), where I keep the cards which need skimming protection/mostly used ones within the card protector and rest in the leather part. In total I keep 12 cards + some euros folded in like this:

Moneyband:

Cardslide:

When I compare this functional design of secrid with that of ridge wallet card taking out mechanism, I personally think Secrid is a clear winner. Herebelow, the ridgewallet, which is as good as keeping the cards held by a rubber band

Secrid has withstood pretty much any abuse I threw at it from all sorts of falling to sliding to flying out of my bicycle. It stood pretty well so far. And the quality of leather and the stitching is also very good, as I have yet to see a stitch come loose or wear off.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 20th August 2021 at 03:16.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 16:15   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Secrid has withstood pretty much any abuse I threw at it from all sorts of falling to sliding to flying out of my bicycle. It stood pretty well so far. And the quality of leather and the stitching is also very good, as I have yet to see a stitch come loose or wear off.
Thanks very much for your suggestion and comparison. I agree, ridgewallet does seem way too expensive for what if offers.

I am quite drawn to the Secrid Slimwallet Rango Blue-Titanium, similar to yours in a different colour, but without the button clasp. Do you think the clasp is necessary?

I have also seen the Ekster Parliament, which is quite similar in design, but has the leather wrapped around the aluminium enclosure as well as a money band. What has been your experience with the Secrid plastic money holder, a hassle or works ok for a few notes, as compared to a money band?

Thanks again for your help.
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 20:42   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Do you think the clasp is necessary?
I just liked the one with clasp and hence chosen for it. It is just a few
mm more and the metal button gives a nice touch with leather. But functionally, I don’t think you need it, unless maybe if you keep more currency bills folded than intended design.

Quote:
What has been your experience with the Secrid plastic money holder, a hassle or works ok for a few notes, as compared to a money band
You mean the Slide? I have not used it. Looking at the size, I guess it can take 8~10 bills maybe. Note that the slide is not plastic, but stainless steel. And the card protector is extruded aluminium. Given my experience with miniwallet, your choice of platinum with blue leather should cater to your requirements, better than the Slide or money band. And the leather looks classy too.

Cheers,
Karthik

Last edited by carthick1000 : 21st August 2021 at 20:45.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 20:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

I have a Swiss Military wallet since 2015 (currently on my second piece of same model).

Swiss Military Men's Leather Wallet (LW-19, Brown Color) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00ZDZ6KFQ/...77H6692T?psc=1

Surprised to see this selling for 751/- I have bought it twice for around 1200 or more.

It also has a small sub wallet (If i may call it this) which can carry two cards and some money. This is just perfect when you are wearing a suit.
Old 22nd August 2021, 02:53   #42
BHPian

Quote:
You mean the Slide? I have not used it.
Sorry I meant the plastic folded insert inside the leather part of the wallet designed to hold cash. A few reviews said it is fiddly and flimsy. What's your take on it? Would more than 4 notes add bulk to the wallet?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 22nd August 2021, 14:56   #43
BHPian

Quote:
A few reviews said it is fiddly and flimsy. What's your take on it? Would more than 4 notes add bulk to the wallet?
I didn’t feel it to be particularly flimsy or fiddly. It is just pre-folded plastic and accepts few bills in there. After your question, I unfolded it and saw if there is any damage or wear. Even after 6 years, the folded parts of plastic did not loose colour or look worn out. So it is subjective which review you saw. May be checkout one in person.

I normally carry 2 to 3 bills max. Yes 4+ would make the wallet a bit bulk. Then you might need to consider the model with clasp. I wouldn’t recommend if you want to carry 4+ bills always.

Cheers,
Karthik
Old 31st August 2021, 15:34   #44
BHPian

Quote:
My secrid wallet of almost 6 years old (Bought on 2 Sep 2015) (which I documented in here (The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?))
Thanks again for all your input.

Ordered the Secrid Slimwallet in Rango Blue Titanium and absolutely loving it! The finishing on the leather is immaculate and love the lizard skin look.

Ordered from Slim Wallet Junkie and got a super sweet deal, more than 30% off compared to the Secrid website, after combining a few coupon codes and a PayPal credit offer. I did email Secrid asking if they would price match but they said they couldn't and to go ahead and buy it from Slim Wallet Junkie as they are an official reseller here in the UK. Received it next day - recommend SWJ if anyone wants to buy Secrid here in the UK.

I normally carry about 6 cards (some embossed), a medical declaration card, a few contact cards and 2 notes. All fit perfectly inside the wallet with no bulk at all. Already have turned a few heads with the wallet with people intrigued about how it works. My wife hates that I think I am James Bond everytime I have to pay for something and flick out my cards!

A few pictures:

The wallets thread - Which one do you own-20210831_105117.jpeg

The wallets thread - Which one do you own-20210831_105134.jpeg
s4ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 15:52   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Ordered from Slim Wallet Junkie and got a super sweet deal, more than 30% off compared to the Secrid website, after combining a few coupon codes and a PayPal credit offer.

My wife hates that I think I am James Bond everytime I have to pay for something and flick out my cards!
Glad you like it and 30% sounds like a very good deal. Usually here in NL, there is not much deals going on for Secrid as it a quite popular choice when it comes to miniwallets.

It is only a matter of time your wife wants one too

Enjoy!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks