Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2011, 16:36   #1
BHPian

How do I receive Doordarshan, the 1980s way?

A few months back, our family got rid of our cable tv connection as it was taking away a lot of our time and wasn't adding anything much of value. Since then, we've not missed it much. Sure, we initially wandered about wondering what to do without flipping channels and turning off our minds to the senseless programming. With time, we found other pass times and as a bonus also got a lot of work done around the house. I bought a USB media player that can read off of USB drives and play movies, and that has kept our rare movie itch satisfied. For everything else, we have the Internet!

However, we're starting to think if getting Doordarshan reception would be a good idea so we could stay in touch with news and national sports. However, the all encompassing Internet didn't have any information about doing so the traditional 'antenna' way.

Sure, I could get DD Direct+ DTH and receive far more free-to-air channels but I don't need them and I'd hate to own more 'stuff'. The antenna, is much less prone to dying, behaving weirdly, or some such issue that would plague electronics. One channel would be sufficient.

So, is there anybody still here that watches TV the way they did in the '80s ? If so, can you shed some light on the setup, etcetera? I live bang in the city so I hope reception would be good.

As a final touch, is a video clipping from the 1976 movie "Network" that is as valid today as it was then.
Old 5th November 2011, 17:11   #2
BHPian

Re: How do I receive Doordarshan, the 1980s way?

You can definitely receive DD on the 1980 way. Trouble is to find a place that sells you the antenna. When i did go this way for a while, used a hanger connected to wire , which did receive but with a lot of noise.

on terrestrial you get DD news, DD National and DD Regional.

Alternatively if you own a LCD/LED/Plasma TV connect your laptop/computer for live cricket feed.

www.bcci.tv for matches in India.
Old 5th November 2011, 17:14   #3
BHPian

Tried the coat hanger thing, but it wasn't great with reception. Oh, so now they have three channels or is it two with DD National switching to Regional once in a while?

Oh, no I'm not crazy about cricket. I would just like to watch a game of any sport once in a while. Thanks for the link, though!
Old 5th November 2011, 20:20   #4
BHPian

Getting the Antenna will be a tough find. Even rural homes these days favour having a dth connection.
Old 5th November 2011, 20:26   #5
BHPian

I don't think the old antenna would be available anywhere. But you could get one fabricated out of aluminium pipes, and a GI pipe frame. There might be specs available on the net.

In some areas you might be needing a signal booster, though.
Old 5th November 2011, 21:45   #6
BHPian

Ohh, do you guys mean to say nobody is using the old free-to-air (FTA) reception these days? Why is doordarshan continuing to broadcast their programs FTA, then?
Old 5th November 2011, 23:23   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

We still have an old BPL colour TV of 1985 at home, with the 26 year old antenna at the roof top.The antenna is well connected to the TV and it still gives us the old time DD channels.The birds love to get perched on the antenna top. There are very few birds these days.... sadly as compared to their numbers in 1985.The antennas were like open air drawing rooms for birds to sit and tweeter!
The reason to keep this BPL TV going is that my parents still love the pre 1990 era of the DD and don't see any cable TV. So this TV is kept at the ground floor. The upper floor has seen many TV's changing with the cable to the dish now.
If you find it tough to get an antenna, try for a TV with the chrome, telescopic aerial like indoor antenna (older portable TV 's had this feature). These TV's too receive the DD channels.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 00:40   #8
BHPian

Hi Hellmet,

You get portable indoor antennas that are easy to setup and you cud watch DD, DD metro etc. I had one like this RCA make which worked pretty good : Tivax DT-01 Amplified Indoor Digital TV Antenna (Black) | eBay , this link is for example only pls dont buy it from the low rated seller !
Old 6th November 2011, 01:00   #9
BHPian

Hi everybody
Not many people watch door darshan
A few years back there was a cartoon by R.K.Laxman.Shows a kid with a remote in his hand and tells his dad that he has found a new channel-it is called door darshan
Regards
Old 6th November 2011, 03:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure whether all DD channels are available by the terrestrial (antenna) method. What I can say is that I still enjoy watching DD quite a lot (except the awful soaps and reality shows / contests). I especially enjoy watching DD Bharati and both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha TV apart from reruns like 'Byomkesh Bakshi' on DD National.

DD & AIR are a treasure-trove of old programmes, interviews, documentaries and concerts / recitals of both classical / 'sugam sangeet' / folk music and dance which no private channel can build up.
Old 6th November 2011, 09:53   #11
BHPian

I fashioned(10 yrsago) an antenna with some left over aluminium curtain rods & it worked fine it was a bit blurry yes but could have been sorted out by using bigger rods articulated in the right direction, ok y dont u try something from scraps of car antennas?
Old 6th November 2011, 10:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

I don't think that you would be able to revieve DD even with an antenna. In my dad's house in Bangalore, the antenna with all wiring is intact but when the cable was down for a few days I tried tuning into DD and the picture was very grainy with only static for sound.
I've heard that the transmission from TV towers is very low strenght and that only to keep the installation from going defunct. Also there is a lot of interference from FM radio, Mobile and DTH services.
Not sure about Hyd. though.
Get cable TV and manually store only DD on your TV.
Old 6th November 2011, 17:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
You can definitely receive DD on the 1980 way. Trouble is to find a place that sells you the antenna. When i did go this way for a while, used a hanger connected to wire , which did receive but with a lot of noise.

on terrestrial you get DD news, DD National and DD Regional.

Alternatively if you own a LCD/LED/Plasma TV connect your laptop/computer for live cricket feed.

www.bcci.tv for matches in India.
Yes hooking up a wire literally a wire the typical black and red one not a cable wire or anything with earthing ! It can be intertwined with a cable wire in the end which can be hooked to the tv plug will get you doordarshan and dd sports also.The reception quality will be weather dependent and your positioning of the aluminium hanger . With wind blowing it can be a disaster you need to tape up the joint s properly which can improve reception BUT all of this cannot be a permanent solution. We watched a few world cup matches this method .
Old 6th November 2011, 19:03   #14
BHPian

Well, it looks so far that receiving FTA programming is mostly dead in this country. I'll get off my behind and go to the old city (where all the electronic-trical stuff is found) and enquire. All I need is one free channel, no STBs, no dishes, no fees, no maintenance.

m-hawk, I've so far used external wiring (white color) that is used for electrical stuff such as fan/tubelight with the coat hanger and that gave me only a very noisy DD.
Old 6th November 2011, 19:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Its not dead, you can find a FTA Dish with STB and hook it up to the satellite, all DD channels are free and you will also get RT and other free channels broadcasted from that satellite + Great picture quality without paying a monthly charges.

Just talk to one of the local dealers who deals in the paid dish connections and he will have a free one too(Only one time cost of buying and installation).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks