Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2011, 21:50   #1
BHPian

RIP Dr. Bhupen Hazarika

The owner of the golden voice that had been my companion in various states of my mind since the time I can remember is no more. Bhupen Da, the void that your departure have left in our state, will perhaps never be filled but let your golden voice inspire us forever.

Rest in peace Dr. Bhupen Hazarika.

Bhupen Hazarika, master balladeer who touched millions of hearts - The Times of India
tortoiseNhare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 22:02   #2
BHPian

Re: RIP Dr. Bhupen Hazarika

An irreparable loss, beyond what words can describe. RIP
Old 5th November 2011, 22:08   #3
BHPian

Its a very sad day for the whole nation and for music lovers all over the world. May his soul rest in peace.
Old 5th November 2011, 22:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The jewel snatching since August 14, 2011 from showbiz goes on..Shammi Kapoor, Jagjit Singh and now its Dr Bhupen Hazarika. The great balladeer/ singer, music director and lyricist and even producer and director was very talented. His career spanned from 1939-2006 and he has brought folk music from the lush green NE India to the national mainstream.His PhD was from Columbia University.
Most of his melodies show an intricate tapestry of folk and popular and hence unique.His voice was one of a kind. His dulcet rendition of "ganga beheti ho kyon?"," aaj jibon khuje paabi aaye re chhutte aaye (Bengali)" and numerous other songs are quite haunting and can make any music lover fall in love at the first sight with his voice.
Rest in Peace Bhupenji.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 5th November 2011 at 22:47.
Old 5th November 2011, 22:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

RIP Maestro....
One of his gems(my fav)......

Last edited by agspins : 5th November 2011 at 23:01.
Old 5th November 2011, 22:56   #6
BHPian

Loved the fact that he sang the same song in different languages many a time...and one would be left wondering about which version was the best!! RIP Mr Bhupen Hazarika!!
Old 5th November 2011, 23:46   #7
BHPian

For more than half a century Bhupen da regaled the people with his melodies and ballads. The void created by his death will be near impossible to fill. There won't be another Bhupen da in another 100 years.

Rest in peace.
Old 5th November 2011, 23:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

It's the saddest day of my life. The nation lost another great soul today. We grew up listening to his songs as a child and can never forget the voice that has shaped our souls. Bhupen da, you'll be missed and the void created can never be filled. RIP Bhupen da..
Old 6th November 2011, 02:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Truly, an irreplaceable loss.

In Guwahati, as little ten year-olds, we would hang around his house located just three houses away in Nizarapar, Chandmari for a glimpse of him (early 90s) because he would spend most of his time in Kolkata or Mumbai.

Whenever anyone plays 'Dil Hum Hum' from Rudaali, my mind gets transported to the B&W scenes from the old Assamese movie (Moniram Dewan?) where he sang the original 'Buku Hum Hum Kare' in Assamese with shimmering waters of the Brahmaputra and a boat in the foreground.

I still listen to him quite often in the car. In Assamese, Bengali and Hindi. 'Ganga tumi baha kiyo?' is my personal favourite.
Old 6th November 2011, 03:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Truly, an irreplaceable loss.

In Guwahati, as little ten year-olds, we would hang around his house located just three houses away in Nizarapar, Chandmari for a glimpse of him (early 90s) because he would spend most of his time in Kolkata or Mumbai.

Whenever anyone plays 'Dil Hum Hum' from Rudaali, my mind gets transported to the B&W scenes from the old Assamese movie (Moniram Dewan?) where he sang the original 'Buku Hum Hum Kare' in Assamese with shimmering waters of the Brahmaputra and a boat in the foreground.
Yup, "Buku Hom hom kore" is from the movie Maniram Dewan and to me it's one of the best patriotic songs (yes, it was originally a patriotic song). There are many more songs by Dr. Bhupen Hazarika, which are my favourites but the one I love most is "Manuhe manuhor babe" (If a human can't think for another human) and somehow to me this is one song that can keep me sane no matter how insane the world become. There is a particular para which I like most and it goes like " If a human can not become a human, a demon can't become a human. And if a demon is to become a human then who is the one to be feel ashamed of". Pardon my crude translation but like this most of the songs written/sung by him has such deeper meanings that it really touch one's heart.
Old 6th November 2011, 12:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
There are many more songs by Dr. Bhupen Hazarika, which are my favourites but the one I love most is "Manuhe manuhor babe" (If a human can't think for another human) and somehow to me this is one song that can keep me sane no matter how insane the world become. There is a particular para which I like most and it goes like "
You are right, Kaushik. In fact, one factor that makes 'aadhunik' music so much more appealing is that dwells on themes like patriotism and humanism. Film music after the 60s has barely gone beyond the themes of love and seperation. You had 'Pyaasa' talking about social revolution in the 50s and Manoj Kumar songs in the 60s, nothing much after that.

Today, we get songs like: "Sada Haq, Aethe Rakh" which means "Give our rights to us in a platter". Nobody talks about the fact that every Right is associated with a corresponding Duty. We have become so absorbed in getting our Rights by Force, but we don't care about performing our 'Duties'. Not really humans anymore, are we?

As a sharp contrast, Bhupen-da would speak of humanism, about how we could change the world as aware individuals. His songs, 'Joy ba Parajoy' (Victory or Defeat), 'Moi Aahisu' (I have come) etc are so inspiring.

Kindly pardon my poor translations and English rendition of words, Assamese is not my first language, although I have studied it in school for five years. Now of course, having not spoken in Assamese for twenty years, its even worse.

Last edited by architect : 6th November 2011 at 12:06.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2011, 12:55   #12
Team-BHP Support

R.I.P Bhupen Da, you will be sorely missed.
Old 6th November 2011, 18:19   #13
BHPian

The end of an era. Rest in peace Bhupen Hazarika. You will be missed.
Old 8th November 2011, 11:33   #14
BHPian

Yesterday I took myself into the sea of humanity at the Guwahati airport witnessing Bhupenda's last homecoming. It was a humbling experience to see and feel the love and respect of the masses for the great man. While waiting for him people were singing his songs as if in a trance.

Dr. Hazarika was to have been cremated in Gauhati University campus today, but, the unprecedented flow of admirers coming to pay homage to the departed necessitated that the performing of the last rites be postponed till tomorrow morning.
Old 8th November 2011, 12:22   #15
BHPian

Perhaps he is recognized for his very special and different voice. A rare gem from eastern part of India. RIP dear Bhupen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks