Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2011, 21:11   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Driving licence can no longer be used as address proof

In my experience, the RTOs in Delhi have always steadfastly refused to accept my driving license as proof of address and identity. Arguing with them on the grounds that the DL was issued by them in the first place anyway, has never yielded results. Anywhere else, including for entry to airports or for other purposes of ID and address proof, such as getting a phone connection, it has always been accepted without protest.

Now this bit of news might mean we need to keep another proof of ID handy in our wallets for getting into airports!

Quote:

Driving licence can no longer be used as address proof

Chief Secretary issues a circular asking for the document to be removed as accepted proof of residence as several bogus licences were issued in the past

The next time you think you can whip out your driving licence when asked for proof of residence, think again. According to a new circular issued yesterday by Chief Secretary Ratnakar Gaikwad, the driving licence should no longer be accepted as valid proof of residence.

Gaikwad in the circular mentioned that the driving licence was increasingly being used as proof of residence to seek new telephone connections, mobile phone SIM cards and to claim a housing unit in MHADA or other SRA schemes.

However, in the circular he explained that while issuing a driving licence, the state transport department did not verify whether the applicant stayed in a legal or illegal accommodation, nor did it verify a change in address if ever done later and hence it should not be considered to be a proof of residence.
I suppose the Delhi RTOs are already aware of the number of bogus DLs floating round. Do you know anyone with a bogus DL?

So what do you propose to carry around additionally? Your passport? Voter ID card? Unique ID card (has anyone been issued with one yet)? PAN card?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 23rd November 2011 at 21:16.
Old 23rd November 2011, 21:46   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Driving licence can no longer be used as address proof

PAN card is an indisputable proof of id, not address.
only a DL can be carried around easily as a proof of address. half the world doesnt yet have a voters id card so what else is there really?
Old 23rd November 2011, 23:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the Delhi govt does not believe in itself or particularly in their transport dept. I am sure you do not need to carry around your address proof, the DL should be enough for a ID proof. But it is pathetic to see that the same dept that issued a DL is not willing to accept the credentials in it. Wonder why ?
Old 23rd November 2011, 23:52   #4
BHPian

This just goes to show how terrible the whole system is!

The same bogus DLs are acceptable to cops across the nation. Imagine how many such drivers are out there on the streets, making lives of road users unsafe. Oh dear, just when will we ever get a proper test before issuing even the proper DLs, let alone fake DLs.

Well, I am glad that atleast the UIDs are slowly going to phase out a lot of these documents. One question, before issuing any UID, wouldn't some people use their DLs as their ID/address proof? How would the authenticity of the DLs be verified then? Would there be any clarification to check those DLs? Or would the UIDs simply be issued based on the DLs (even bogus ones)?

Sam
Old 24th November 2011, 00:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia
One question, before issuing any UID, wouldn't some people use their DLs as their ID/address proof? How would the authenticity of the DLs be verified then? Would there be any clarification to check those DLs? Or would the UIDs simply be issued based on the DLs (even bogus ones)?

Sam
This is so valid point. What if later on govt says that even the UIDs are not authenticate proofs of address, as they never visited the home of applicants for reverification. Here also there is no mention of change of address. I am not sure of address is printed on UID as I have not yet recieved it. They took iris scan & full finger prints though, but that aint going to prove your residency..
Old 24th November 2011, 03:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Shouldn't the process to get the license be strengthened rather then rejecting the license itself? If you want to make it harder for the anti social elements make the process more stringent, don't let them have it in the first place. Why is it so hard for the authorities to realize?

Common sense is not that common after all.

About the UID, here are some reports. No idea whether it can or will replace/substitute current forms of id/add proofs.

State depts refuse to accept UID cards as proof - The Times of India
Uid not accepted as residential proof at passport office - Grahak Seva
Old 24th November 2011, 05:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

For address proof i use my BSNL Bill and for ID at airport i use either the license or the PAN card. Now i have never faced a situation wherein i had to produce a Address proof + Photo ID (Merged into one), in that scenario only DL or passport will be useful as it has both the address and Photo, but that has never happened to me before.

BTW my DL and passport both have older address so i also cannot use them as Address proof.
Old 24th November 2011, 11:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

I always carry my election card, which serves both as a photo identity & address proof.
Old 24th November 2011, 11:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think the ruling is correct. IMO a DL can be used as a valid photo Identification card in case of airports, but can not be used for a valid permanent proof of residence.

Like in my case, my DL still holds the old address and while renewing the license no one came to verify where I am staying now. So address can be wrong.

Regards
Old 24th November 2011, 12:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

'Address Proof' necessarily requires *someone* having verified your address physically. Neither DL nor PAN card qualify for that - it is only you who have vouched for whatever information given to those agencies. DL as a photo ID - yes, because it is assumed someone in the chain from inspector to issuer would have tallied the photo with the person (can't discard that institution if some DLs are fakes), but definitely not the address.

Passport is the best document for both photo id as well as address proof, since your identity & address is verified by the cops. Barring a few fakes here too, that process and institution is believable. Ditto for Telephone, Electricity and Water bill - they couldn't have given you a connection without verifying the address physically. Mobile connections no - because *they* ask for address proof. Credit cards should have been valid, but private sector financial institutions have still not built credibility, even though they DO verify addresses physically.
Old 24th November 2011, 14:31   #11
Team-BHP Support

This is good; the no. of fraud cases involving DLs will come down.

But here's the problem - a large population of Indians (esp. those in IT) are extremely mobile these days. Very few would have their own houses in the city they reside in. So, electricity/landline bills wouldn't work as they'd be in the landlord's name. PAN card doesn't have the address. 90% of the literate population in India doesn't have Voter IDs.

So, it all boils down to the rent agreement or the Passport.

Now the passport also has the "permanent" address of the holder. So, if the intention is to know the "current" address of a person, even the passport remains fuzzy.

As much as I appreciate the ruling, I feel we first make rules before making things simple for the public. This rule has been made but the Govt. doesn't talk about Voter IDs being issued to EVERY legal voter.
Old 24th November 2011, 14:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

To the best of my knowledge (based on first hand experience), the DL was never accepted as Address Proof, it was only accepted as a Proof of Identity.

Also, I'm not sure why we need to carry anything with us as an address proof, only Identity Proof is expected to be carried on person - either the DL or your PAN card should suffice.
Old 24th November 2011, 15:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Right from 2004, when i started earning, DL was never accepted as an address proof.

When i applied for license, i was asked for an address proof, where i presented to ration card. It was the same address on my ration card which is printed in my DL. When i applied for a citibank loan in b'lore in 2004, license was not accepted as a proof of residence, adding to the fact that they verify permanent address physically before processing the loan.

because of some cheater cocks with fake addresses, We honest people are having to face music.
Old 26th November 2011, 12:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

The post is about using DL as address proof. It is known for a fact that DL is not acceptable as proof for Passport, RTO work (adding another class of vehicle, vehicle transfer, address change).
I have a related incident to share. I already have a 4 wheeler license issued from Mumbai. Im in bangalore for 3 years and wanted to change address and get the card licence issued. I had to submit rent agreement copy, HR letter and affidavit as address proof. When I got the new card type licence issued from Bangalore, I applied for the learner's licence for a 2 wheeler. Here also, DL was not accepted as address proof. It has to be passport, ration card, BSNL bill, water bill, electricity bill etc. The agent has warned me that when I will go for the final test for permanent licence for 2 wheeler (addition of another class of vehicle to exisxting DL), I will have to resubmit address proofs as DL is not accepted . Can you believe this?

BTW, Kudos to the Karnataka government, they have made the process of applying for ration card and new gas connection online. I have applied for this . Let see how it goes.
For those from Mumbai, here is some old news on your white ration cards..
Govt plans to discontinue white ration cards soon - Times Of India .
So looks like passport or voters id is the way to go for address proofs.
Old 26th November 2011, 14:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Right from 2004, when i started earning, DL was never accepted as an address proof.

When i applied for license, i was asked for an address proof, where i presented to ration card. It was the same address on my ration card which is printed in my DL. When i applied for a citibank loan in b'lore in 2004, license was not accepted as a proof of residence, adding to the fact that they verify permanent address physically before processing the loan.

because of some cheater cocks with fake addresses, We honest people are having to face music.
The world is full of rules and limitations slapped on innocent people due to the misdeeds of a tiny fraction of the population.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks