Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2012, 12:45   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nostalgia : Reviving the memories of long gone brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
There was this 50p toffee called ravalgon, it was pretty big for a toffee of its class and used to taste great. Would love to see that back in stores.
Still get this in Pune in some stores, only it is a rupee each now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Some long gone brands that I remember from my youth - Erasmic (shaving cream), Ovaltine (malt drink), Loma (hair oil), Det (detergent). And of course those petro companies with their ubiquitous petrol pumps - Esso, Burmah Shell & Caltex... Fond memories all.
Sometimes I wish we had a family album full of such pics. unfortunately nothing like that at my end. Does anyone have any pics to share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Also I wish Peppy's Cheese balls and Picnik get re released. I loved them and they were so common in Mumbai but so rare to find in Delhi, also there was some Senor Peppito chips in Mumbai, which is also not possible to find in Delhi.

Does anyone know any place in Delhi where one can eat Dhabeli, Bombay style, Man Delhi has good food but they miss out on the really good stuff, no vada pav and no dhabeli, even the pav bhaji here is mediocre. I so miss Bombay
we get cheese balls and Piknik in Pune. in fact its very common, maybe you need to speak to the relevant distributor in Delhi.
oh, that is such a fantastic business idea. you could start a thela there in Delhi with pav bhaji, vada pav and dabheli. i am sure it will be a hit!
Old 28th April 2012, 13:00   #47
BHPian

In my childhood days when I learned to play cricket, we used to collect Bigfun cricket stickers. There stickers are normally inside the Bigfun bubble gum packing. I doubt if this is sold todate. A piece costs 50 Paise. I had an albun full of Bigfun stickers. Those were the days of Viv Richards, Kapil Dev, Sunil Gavaskar, Ravi Shastri and many such legends.

Last edited by joe1980 : 28th April 2012 at 13:02.
Old 28th April 2012, 13:33   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
In my childhood days when I learned to play cricket, we used to collect Bigfun cricket stickers.
I dont think Bigfun is sold anymore. it looks like a lot of the brands when we were kids were around to make a quick buck and then disappear :(

that reminds me of some bread in Pune which used to have a Mahabharata character sticker in each pack. I think there were 28 in all, and one of them was quite rare. Spent a lot of time and effort in getting as many as we could by exchanging.
these days I have seen kids playing with some cricket attax cards, but they have to be bought. so easy acquisition I guess.
Old 28th April 2012, 22:05   #49
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone remember the NP and BP chewing gums? A sticker of a cartoon character used to come in each pack. When we kept the sticker on our shirt, sprinkled a little water and applied the hot iron over it, the picture was transferred to the shirt!

And the little toys that came with the Binaca toothpaste packs!
Old 29th April 2012, 06:23   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Does anyone remember the NP and BP chewing gums? A sticker of a cartoon character used to come in each pack. When we kept the sticker on our shirt, sprinkled a little water and applied the hot iron over it, the picture was transferred to the shirt!

And the little toys that came with the Binaca toothpaste packs!
Oh yes - I remember NP chewing gum all right (green packs weren't they?). And I also remembering collecting those little toys (animals if my memory serves me right) that come with Binaca.
Old 29th April 2012, 08:02   #51
BHPian

This is nice thread
Talking about cricket I remember the flip books that they used to gift with "thumps up" bottle, when you flip through it you could see the entire stroke being played out by the batsman,
Most probably Sunil gavaskar.
Those were days of gold spot the zing thing, lemonade, double cola, I guess the only soft drink that has retained its market space may be limca, rest all frizzled out. (pun intended)
Those were the days when you had to return the empty bottle to buy the new soft drink bottle and that too of the same brand, you could not get limca by returning thumps up bottle, things changed when double cola entered the market. As I know the Parle group changed their strategy to get double cola bottles out of market and choke them out, which they did successfully.

when cibaca was binaca, konica was Sakura
Cibaca toothpaste used to carry miniature rubber animals. I had huge collection of same till recently now I have at least 2-3 lying around.

North star and ghola were sport shoes in vogue.

We used to get 5 mint drops in 5 paise, remember those reddish pinkish small mint drops called " paan ki goli"
Not to forget phantom cigarettes the white coloured candies.

Changing the track
I also remember that topaz shaving blade advertisement that used to get published in magazines or papers like a cartoon strip. I always thought that add was funny or inappropriate.
Truly nostalgia
Old 29th April 2012, 19:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

I was discussing this ad with friends yesterday, then checked with my wife. But we could not place this product. Everyone remembered the ad though.

some fan or cooler gets switched on, and the guy is literally flown off the floor and comments something about the fan/ blower speed.
can someone help remind us the product or even better provide a link to a video of this ad?
Old 29th April 2012, 23:57   #53
BHPian

Self drive
Hi
I do remember the had.
The actor who switched on was Parikshat Sahni and the one who held on for dear life was Rajendra Nath.
As far as I remember the ad was for Bajaj(I am sure about the actors)
Regards
Old 30th April 2012, 07:37   #54
BHPian

Anyone remembers LIFE Shoes?
Old 29th May 2012, 10:07   #55
BHPian

Anybody here remember BSA CHAMP introduced in 1983?
I just cant seem to google out a pic/ad of this cycle. It used to be beautiful in white and red. Lovely!!! I had to settle for some other brand cycle (Ridex?) and not Champ since it was way too expensive for us.
Old 29th May 2012, 13:15   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
The actor who switched on was Parikshat Sahni and the one who held on for dear life was Rajendra Nath.
As far as I remember the ad was for Bajaj(I am sure about the actors)
Regards
Thanks faustus77, I will try to dig out some video out for this.

Also have fond memories of the Hot & Sweet (its different) ad with Pankaj Kapur and Jaaved Jaffery.
And one more where the actor drinks some tonic (hamdard ka tonic cinkara?) and bursts through glass or something to that effect.
Old 29th May 2012, 14:50   #57
BHPian

Anyone remember, forhans-toothpaste, maltova and its mascot the cartoon elephant ads, nutrine-chocolates with the desi bugs bunny cartoon and not to forget chic,chic,chic,....chiclets chewing gums.

-Sajan
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgia : Reviving the memories of long gone brands-chiclets.jpg  

Old 29th May 2012, 15:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone had Keventer's Ghee? Or Chinaram Sindhi Halwai's Sweets?

Both came in tins. The CSH tin was square and squat. We used those for acetylene gas bombs. Spit on a piece of calcium carbide, cover it with the inverted tin with a hole in the base. Wait for a minute, and ignite it with a piece of burning folded paper. Kaboom, and then one would have neighborhood auntys running after you yelling "Aitthay aa oye, khottay da puttar ...". I bet most people haven't heard of such home chemistry.

Last edited by DerAlte : 29th May 2012 at 15:16.
Old 30th May 2012, 20:07   #59
BHPian

DerAlte
Hi
Love the line "aitthay aa oye"
Chainaram is very much there and doing very well.
Last february I had puri chole made in pure ghee.Very good.
Their paneer pakoda is superb.
Regards
Self drive
Hi
Javed and Pankaj ad for Maggi sauce.An excellent adline:it is different.
Have a hazy recollection of cinkara.Cant recall the details.
Sajands
Hi
Forhans and Macleans toothpastes were driven off the market by the aggressive markiting of the Indian brands.They were always in the shadow of Colgate
Regards
Old 31st May 2012, 11:41   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Love the line "aitthay aa oye" ...
We used to be a riotous bunch of kids during childhood!

Quote:
... Chainaram is very much there ... chole made in pure ghee ...
The last time I had Karachi Halwa from there (many years back), I got Delhi Belly!!!

Quote:
... Macleans toothpaste ...
THAT'S the name I was trying to recollect - used to like it better than Colgate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks