Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2006, 19:08   #1
Team-BHP Support

What is it with Ebay India!!!

Or should I say, what is the problem of the people who bid on items!

I mean, why bid if you don't intend on buying!?!?! An auction of mine just closed with 5 bidders. I called up the winning bidder. He sounds unsure about the bid. I knew straight away he was just wasting my time. He said he had bid on 2 other similar items and needs time to see which one wants! ***!! What part of the darn bidding procedure did he fail to understand?!?

Its simple, you bid on something, be prepared to pay up when the auction closes! This is not a game. Now I have to relist the item for the 5th time. Its such a waste of time!

Somehow, I've never had this problem on the international Ebay site. Overseas, people take this a lot more seriosuly! Looks like in India it is still considered a game where they are bidding with play money!!
Old 24th March 2006, 19:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Can't you complain to eBay and get his account closed for this violation?
Old 24th March 2006, 19:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

A long time back, some guy put up multiple Home Theatre Systems for auction. I bid at Rs. 100/- and the auction ended. I contacted him and he gave me crap that his ID was hacked and pleaded me not to give negative points against him. I didn't, instead I stopped bidding.
Old 24th March 2006, 19:43   #4
Team-BHP Support

Tried selling the Santro

One person offered half, another person rang me to bypass the auction. I let it lapse and sold privately for a mega price
Old 24th March 2006, 19:56   #5
BHPian

It's simple... leave -ve feedbacks for non-paying bidders, be carefull with new users with no feedback.

And follow this simple rule...
In your discription clearly mention that ppl with -ve feedback or 0 +ve feeed back should contact you before placing a bid "OR THE BID WILL BE CANCLED" (this way you can filter out loosers)

Ebay USA had similar problems when it first started... the feedback system eventually rectified the problem (remember rome was not built in one day ), and now its one of the best trading site.
Old 24th March 2006, 20:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is what user agreement of Ebay India Says

Quote:
All bids (under the Auction format) and all purchases (under the Buy It Now format) on the Site are a firm commitment to purchase. If you are the purchaser/highest bidder for any item and your purchase/ bid is accepted by the seller ("Winning buyer"), you are obligated to complete the transaction with the seller.
Full user agreement can be found by clicking on this link.
Look for point number 10.

Hey RTech contact Ebay India where there is an option to report Problems with Other Members
Old 24th March 2006, 21:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar issue - I bid successfully for a World space receiver put up by some famous store in Mumbai (forget the name now - was five years back)... I was in Banglaore then - and ended up spnding more money on the STD with the vendor than the money I would have saved. That was the first and the last time I ever bid for anything on any site!

OH BTW - the vendor never gave me the radio....
Old 24th March 2006, 21:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

>>Overseas, people take this a lot more seriosuly! Looks like in India it is still considered a game where they are bidding with play money!!

Too many crooks and criminals are using ebay overseas to undertake scams. Paypal do not help matters. There are lots of scams. I have seen people buying lots of things for really low value like 1pence for a ebook etc. Once they have good feedback then they bid on a high value item and screw the seller via paypal.

I wish google would set up a competitor. Ebay have grown too big and they do not show too much concern for customers.
Old 25th March 2006, 06:35   #9
BHPian

indian ebay really sucks, i listed my laptop thrice before selling it. it took me amost three months
Old 25th March 2006, 08:34   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Or should I say, what is the problem of the people who bid on items!

I mean, why bid if you don't intend on buying!?!?! An auction of mine just closed with 5 bidders. I called up the winning bidder. He sounds unsure about the bid. I knew straight away he was just wasting my time. He said he had bid on 2 other similar items and needs time to see which one wants! ***!! What part of the darn bidding procedure did he fail to understand?!?

Its simple, you bid on something, be prepared to pay up when the auction closes! This is not a game. Now I have to relist the item for the 5th time. Its such a waste of time!

Somehow, I've never had this problem on the international Ebay site. Overseas, people take this a lot more seriosuly! Looks like in India it is still considered a game where they are bidding with play money!!

Hey Robin,

Now you know why I wanted to put my cell for sale here and not on Ebay. I have had similar experiences with them.

Viper
Old 26th March 2006, 23:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Check out this product. Looks like someone may have bid over £250 for just an empty Xbox 360 box.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XBOX-360-PREMI...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 27th March 2006, 08:27   #12
BHPian

I have tried both ebay India and the US one and have never had a problem with either....or maybe I was plain lucky. But definitely eBay India has a long way to go before it can be compared to eBay USA.
Cheers,
Manoj
Old 27th March 2006, 10:01   #13
BHPian

RTech, Nowadays there is an SMS confirmation available on e-bay india. You can make use of this. The bidder has to enter his/her mobile number while bidding and a code number is sent to the modile number immediately and the process makes the bidder to enter this number before committing to bid. This atleast makes doubly sure that the bidder is interested in buying and is not just 'looking' around wasting other's time.
Old 27th March 2006, 11:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
>>Overseas, people take this a lot more seriosuly! Looks like in India it is still considered a game where they are bidding with play money!!

Too many crooks and criminals are using ebay overseas to undertake scams. Paypal do not help matters. There are lots of scams. I have seen people buying lots of things for really low value like 1pence for a ebook etc. Once they have good feedback then they bid on a high value item and screw the seller via paypal.
I bought my bike off ebay motors. Well when I was shopping around ebay motors I came across 2 scams and almost lost 3500dollars. Lots of crooks here too. (keep your eyes open). Paypal covers upto 1000$ only (atleast they say that). Above that you'll loose your money. Plus you'll receive legitimate looking emails from the sellers which are not actually sent by them. The two people I came across plainly asked for cheque's and said that they'll deliver the bikes at my door step since they were out of town or some sh** like that. I reported them to ebay by forwarding their emails and they lost their ebay accounts.
Finally I bought my bike 4 days after I won the bid, paid by cheque only after seeing the bike when I went to pick it up plus I also made sure that I verified that the guy who was there to make the deal was the guy who owned the bike by checking his foto id and stuff like that.
Good luck ebay'ing
Old 27th March 2006, 11:31   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can't you complain to eBay and get his account closed for this violation?
Ebay has a policy that you must wait 7 days or somehting before filing a non-payment complaint. I spoke to the buyer and he now says that he is "out of town" and hence cannot complete the transaction! This guy has been a membr of ebay since 2002, but has not made a single transaction nor does he have any ratings.

Quote:
And follow this simple rule...
In your discription clearly mention that ppl with -ve feedback or 0 +ve feeed back should contact you before placing a bid "OR THE BID WILL BE CANCLED" (this way you can filter out loosers)
I can't find this in the Indian ebay. Would really like to do this the next time i list anything for sale.

Quote:
Nowadays there is an SMS confirmation available on e-bay india. You can make use of this.
THis is only for a buyer to verify that the number given is actually correct. In my case, I already spoke to the guy and its pretty apparent that he doesn't give a damn about any "Ebay user agreement" or anything like that.

Most Viewed