Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2015, 12:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Marriage Registration - technical problem in getting the certificate

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduks View Post
You don't need a marriage certificate if you're the only one applying. I think application form merely asks if you are married and if both are applying together.
Thanks manduks.

This is in line with what the HR is saying. Hope this is true, since the client wouldn't wait for another month.

Adding on, suppose my wife wants to visit for a short duration (say, for a fortnight or so), would this trip require a dependent visa or visitor visa?. Am I safe to assume I would require marriage certificate in either case?

Cheers!
Old 7th May 2015, 13:31   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by minzanurag View Post
Thanks manduks.

This is in line with what the HR is saying. Hope this is true, since the client wouldn't wait for another month.

Adding on, suppose my wife wants to visit for a short duration (say, for a fortnight or so), would this trip require a dependent visa or visitor visa?. Am I safe to assume I would require marriage certificate in either case?

Cheers!
Dependent visas are if someone (spouse, kids, parents etc.) is going to live with you for an extended period without other known sources of income or authorized to work themselves (work permit, relevant visa etc.). Short vacations are covered by visitor visas, I don't believe proof of relationship is critical in the scenario, as long as the visitor can show they're visiting short-term, intend to return and can cover their costs. That's how it works in most of the West.
Old 7th May 2015, 14:15   #18
BHPian

Thanks Chetan. This clears my doubts !
Old 11th May 2015, 10:07   #19
BHPian

My wife and I are Christians and we had to register our marriage after some 14 years for our son's PIO card.

For anyone other than Hindus, there is a mandatory 30 day wait under the Special Marriage Act. Other than that, the process itself was relatively painless at the Koramangala sub-registrar's office and hardly cost anything. As far as I know, no agent will be able to reduce this mandatory 30 day wait.

In case someone is already married and needs a marriage registration certificate urgently for legal reasons, there is a workaround that I came to know about. Many non-Hindu couples make a beeline for the Arya Samaj, get a conversion certificate and register their marriage under the Hindu Marriage Act in which case they receive their marriage certificate that evening itself.
Old 11th May 2015, 10:49   #20
BANNED

It's hard to believe that it is still not mandatory to register marriages. In Goa the marriage has to be registered before the religious ceremony otherwise it's a crime. This is an old Portuguese Law which is applicable to all (Common Civil Code as you call it). Since there is no equivalent Indian Law, we still follow the old Portuguese Law.
Old 8th October 2015, 01:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
In case someone is already married and needs a marriage registration certificate urgently for legal reasons, there is a workaround that I came to know about. Many non-Hindu couples make a beeline for the Arya Samaj, get a conversion certificate and register their marriage under the Hindu Marriage Act in which case they receive their marriage certificate that evening itself.
Certificate issued by Arya Samaj is not legal in itself, its just another document that helps you get your marriage registered by Registrar of Marriages under Hindu Marriage Act. Arya Samaj Marriages were under scanner in lots of states as some people made it business to facilitate bypassing law. Please be cautious before taking Arya Samaj route.
Old 8th October 2015, 14:47   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
It's hard to believe that it is still not mandatory to register marriages. In Goa the marriage has to be registered before the religious ceremony otherwise it's a crime. This is an old Portuguese Law which is applicable to all (Common Civil Code as you call it). Since there is no equivalent Indian Law, we still follow the old Portuguese Law.
In UP and most other states marriages are registered post facto only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhare View Post
Certificate issued by Arya Samaj is not legal in itself, its just another document that helps you get your marriage registered by Registrar of Marriages under Hindu Marriage Act. Arya Samaj Marriages were under scanner in lots of states as some people made it business to facilitate bypassing law. Please be cautious before taking Arya Samaj route.
Agreed, Arya Samaj was Ok only until compulsory registration came in. Now they are only a stepping stone.
Old 8th October 2015, 14:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
BDA Complex in Koramangala has a number of Typists and Notaries sitting outside. Approach them for Annexure D and Marriage certificate and you should be able to get it done for about Rs 1000 odd. This is perfectly legal and used by the Passport authorities etc for Spouse name inclusion in passport and other similar services.
Sorry if i am asking the obvious.

My cousin's marriage was registered in Andhra but the idiots over there spelled the names wrong, effectively making it useless for Visa and other purposes. Going to hometown and running after these offices is going to be a big headache .

He approached a lawyer for legal advice and was suggested that he approach the sub-registrar office with witnesses and get the marriage registered. Cost 25k including lawyer's fees

Can it also be done the way suggested above?
Old 8th October 2015, 15:30   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
Sorry if i am asking the obvious.

My cousin's marriage was registered in Andhra but the idiots over there spelled the names wrong, effectively making it useless for Visa and other purposes. Going to hometown and running after these offices is going to be a big headache .

He approached a lawyer for legal advice and was suggested that he approach the sub-registrar office with witnesses and get the marriage registered. Cost 25k including lawyer's fees

Can it also be done the way suggested above?

My marriage was not registered as it was done at ancestral house. When we wanted a marriage certificate, we got it registered at the local office of the Registrar. The only problem is that it takes time. The steps were as follows (in Kerala):
1. First you have to apply for registering for marriage (Application in the prescribed format with photos of both, identity proof).
2. The registrar puts the photo on their display board asking if anyone has any objection (its for a period of 1 month - don't remember the exact time frame).
3. After the stipulated time is over, you need to go to the Registrar office with witness (who knows you - i took my neighbors). Had some proof that we are living together and that we had got married at our residence (copy of old invitation card, marriage album etc were also carried with us). Actual registration is done on the same day with signatures in the official book (thumb print too of husband, wife and witness)
4. After couple of days (i think it took 2+ weeks) you get the actual marriage certificate.
5. The fees is not much as far as i remember (we went directly to the registrar office and asked about the procedures so service of lawyers were not involved).
Old 8th October 2015, 16:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

I dont remember clearly but when I had to register my marriage I gave the marriage invitation letter also. It was registered an hour before marriage (since the time of marriage was around 12 noon) ! Got the certificate in a couple of hours.
Old 8th October 2015, 16:11   #26
Team-BHP Support

What happens if someone only wants a 'registered' marriage? As in no other ceremony except signing the register at the Sub-Registrar's office? When my better half & I got married a few years ago, we only wanted a simple registration but were told we can't register our marriage unless we furnish proof of the wedding proper, which sounded absurd to me. Not everyone wants a 'ceremony'. We certainly didn't, but had no choice but to oblige if a certificate was to be had.
Old 8th October 2015, 16:28   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

@Chetan you can do this. Under special marriage act (iirc) such registered marriage is allowed following due procedure. I think the requirement for one month can be waived if both side's parents are present.
Old 8th October 2015, 17:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
My cousin's marriage was registered in Andhra but the idiots over there spelled the names wrong, effectively making it useless for Visa and other purposes. Going to hometown and running after these offices is going to be a big headache.
This case is not so straightforward. The mistake also lies on your cousin's part as well, who didn't verify the certificate at the time of issue.

Approaching the hometown registrar office would be the first thing that needs to be done, possibly pulling strings as well. This would be the first thing to do before you look at other options.

Another option is an 'one and same certificate' from the nearby tahsildar office. This is a certificate to prove that the person name on the marraige certificate and the one in the passport are the same. This is an official document which consulates do accept. Some cases a notarized certificate is also accepted. This however varies between one consulate and other.
Old 17th April 2017, 16:10   #29
BHPian

Hi,

I got married in November last year and I am looking for an agent (in Mumbai) which can help me with getting a marriage certificate. If people here know of or have personally dealt with an agent (from Mumbai, Goregaon west area) who can help me with this, it will be greatly appreciated!

Apologies in case this is the wrong thread.

Last edited by Saanil : 17th April 2017 at 16:15.
Old 17th January 2023, 17:30   #30
BHPian

Does anyone have experience with registration of marriages in NCR? The couple is from Gurgaon and Ghaziabad but got married in Delhi. Not sure how and where to go about this from...

Most Viewed