Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2012, 11:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Marriage Registration - technical problem in getting the certificate

Since my fiancee is from Goa, we decided to have our wedding there and we fixed the date for April 24th. The Goan state law mandates that a marriage has to be registered before the wedding. Since we both are in Bangalore, we decided to register our marriage near my house, in Sarjapur Sub-registrar's Office.

As we belong to different religions, we had to go for special marriages act, that needs a 30 day notice period. So we submitted all the applications on March 8th, and 3 of our friends signed as witnesses.

I went to the office on April 7th, Saturday, to check there were any objections. As expected, there were none and we were told to come on Monday. On Monday, they said the concerned person is on vacation and will return on Thursday. So all 5 of us (we 2 and our 3 witnesses) went on Thursday, only to find that their BSNL internet line was down. They said they have to upload our information again to get the certificate. Ever since, I have been going there every two hours to check if my work can be done.

And today morning, the clerk there dropped another bomb, saying BSNL workers are going on strike from Monday for 4 days. If the line is not fixed today, I have to wait till next Friday and hope that the striking workers get back to work. Tomorrow is 2nd Saturday, so it is a state government holiday.

So my questionis, in case we are not able to get the marriage registration certificate, will the Goan authorities accept the receipt of registration application submission?

This receipt will show the date as March 8th, but has no information on any objections raised. Is there any way to get this information on a paper from the sub-registrar's office?
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 21:16   #2
BHPian

Re: Marriage Registration - technical problem in getting the certificate

Hi Rohanjf!

I'm sorry, I am not of much help on this, but were you able to resolve this?

I have a related query - my wedding was in Gurgaon (Haryana) about an year back, but we have been residing in Bangalore (both of us) for the last 5 years. Is it possible at all to get our marriage registered here in Bangalore? It would be most convenient for us, and in the short term, the more doable option!!
Old 21st May 2012, 21:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

adroit,

I had been to the Koramangala BDA to get some notary certificate and saw "Marriage Certificate" as one of the service provided by the agents there. You can probably approach them for your work. There are large no. of notary/legal service providers in the Koramangala BDA complex. There might be similar services available in other BDAs as well.

@Rohan, did't see your thread before and hope you are happily married now. But if internet connection was the only issue, you could have loaned them a internet USB dongle to get a temporary connection and finish your work
Old 21st May 2012, 21:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91
I have a related query - my wedding was in Gurgaon (Haryana) about an year back, but we have been residing in Bangalore (both of us) for the last 5 years. Is it possible at all to get our marriage registered here in Bangalore? It would be most convenient for us, and in the short term, the more doable option!!
I don't think there will be any problem, since Marriage is an Union subject, the State do not have control over it. On the other hand it still depends on your local Sub Registrar Office who might innovate their own rules!
Old 21st May 2012, 23:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Now even municipality registers the marriage and it's also valid
Old 22nd May 2012, 00:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
I don't think there will be any problem, since Marriage is an Union subject, the State do not have control over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Now even municipality registers the marriage and it's also valid
Thanks guys! I'll see if I am able to get this done! It's long overdue now!

I'll post an update here if I find any useful information!
Old 25th July 2013, 18:00   #7
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Reviving an not much old thread. The problem is i am leaving soon for Germany for long term and need to be their with my wife and i dont have a marriage certificate.

Can anyone assist is getting me contacts for agents who can get it done for me in shortest possible time knowing i will have to pay ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th July 2013, 21:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

I had forgotten about this thread!

I still do not have a marriage certificate from the government. I just don't want to see those losers' faces again.

The church has issued a marriage certificate. The priest said the certificate is legally valid, but I have my own doubts.

However, I added my wife's name in the passport when I renewed my passport. For this, I needed to submit a legal document called Annexure D. The agent who helped me is Prakash Achar. His email id I have: sudhaservicesblr@gmail.com
Old 25th July 2013, 22:56   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Hey Guys,

Reviving an not much old thread. The problem is i am leaving soon for Germany for long term and need to be their with my wife and i dont have a marriage certificate.

Can anyone assist is getting me contacts for agents who can get it done for me in shortest possible time knowing i will have to pay ?

Thanks in advance.
BDA Complex in Koramangala has a number of Typists and Notaries sitting outside. Approach them for Annexure D and Marriage certificate and you should be able to get it done for about Rs 1000 odd. This is perfectly legal and used by the Passport authorities etc for Spouse name inclusion in passport and other similar services.
Old 26th July 2013, 12:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
BDA Complex in Koramangala has a number of Typists and Notaries sitting outside. Approach them for Annexure D and Marriage certificate and you should be able to get it done for about Rs 1000 odd. This is perfectly legal and used by the Passport authorities etc for Spouse name inclusion in passport and other similar services.

Thanks Shankar, any idea on how much time the process takes. I am in real hurry as I have to submit the passports now with the certificate .

Thanks again.
Old 26th July 2013, 23:03   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post

Thanks Shankar, any idea on how much time the process takes. I am in real hurry as I have to submit the passports now with the certificate .

Thanks again.
Mate. Max an hour and a half....sorry for late replies am on holiday far away...
Old 6th May 2015, 19:03   #12
BHPian

Hello,

This is my first post on T-BHP. Due to some pressing engagements, I have been unable to post an intro on the 'Introduce Yourself' thread, which I shall be doing soon.

So, here is my first post, a general query related to marriage certificates and processing dependent visa.

Now as my case stands, the facts/conditions are as follows
- I am applying for UK Tier 2 General visa (actually, the company is)
- My wife has a job in India which she does not intend to quit right now and hence would not need dependent visa
- I have a marriage certificate from the church, which I believe is not accepted as a legal document by UKBA immigration authorities
- The marriage certificate takes minimum of 30 days to be issued and since I might have to travel soon (approx 10-15 days), I will be unable to produce the same anyway.
- I have not found anything concrete which directly answers my query
- I have sought help from the HR and they mentioned it is possible but, you know.

Considering all these facts, could anyone advise,
- Would my Tier 2 visa be processed w/o the marriage certificate as I will not be applying for a dependent visa?
- In case, the visa gets rejected on some grounds related to the MC, would I be able to reapply when I have proper certificate, say, after a month or so?

Any help in this regard would be much appreciated.

TIA,
Minzo
Old 6th May 2015, 21:23   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Have you tried contacting the immigration authorities directly? They really ought to be able to help you.

I can'toffer much help, other then to my experience church of England marriage certificates are legal documents. My wife and I got married in Barbados, church of England and our marriage certificate has been accepted the world over, including when we lived in the UK. Even the Netherlands, who don't recognize any Dutch marriage certificate, (you need to formally register at the council before its a legal marriage) recognized our church of England certificate as legally binding.

Still, best to check with the authorities.

Jeroen
Old 6th May 2015, 22:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Have you tried contacting the immigration authorities directly? They really ought to be able to help you.
Thanks Jeroen.

Even otherwise, I have initiated the process for registration of marriage, if in the worst scenario, I have to produce the certificate.

In any case, I will post the outcome on the thread for future reference.

Cheers,
Minzo
Old 7th May 2015, 10:58   #15

You don't need a marriage certificate if you're the only one applying. I think application form merely asks if you are married and if both are applying together.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks