Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 16:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Low Voltage Problem in Chennai

I had the same problem outside chennai. My regular stabiliser was not able to push the 180 to 220, so got the double boost one from V-Guard (for 4k) which is excellent. Has a digital display for input and output and boosts up to 80V. Wonder if this could be done for the whole house.
Old 18th May 2012, 21:26   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wonder if this could be done for the whole house.
Absolutely possible. Three-phase servo stabilser

A big investment

Remember: the lower the voltage, the more current is drawn to do the same amount of work, and there is also an overhead in the machine itself, so the bills are going to go up. With higher-pwer stuff, there is also a risk of not only blowing the fuses, but burning out the supply cable itself.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th May 2012 at 21:29.
Old 19th May 2012, 12:30   #18
BHPian

As the chennai heat becomes unbearable, our V-guard double boost unable to cope up with 130V available at the mains. Also the stabilizer cant start the compressor when the voltage is below 160V but it manages to keep the AC alive till 130V is the compressor is running. Sometimes I used to run the fan in inverter mode to get some air from the fan. Enough is enough, I am in search of extra wide input range a.k.a triple boost stabilizer. I asked a local electrician and he recommended a brand called "Spark" which can run the A/C till 120V price is a big shocker 7.5K and for v-guard its Rs 9.5K . Also triple boost mean more loss of power which negates 5* efficiency of the A/C. Anyway I am least bothered on that now. On searching over the www I have found there are some automatic stabilizers come with Toroidal transformer with 110~120V boost range.

http://www.purevoltindia.com/automat...abilizers.html

http://www.toroidalurvi.in/products/stabilizers.php

http://www.servokonsystems.com/digit...r-conditioners

http://www.logicstat.com/automatic_v...izer_specs.htm

I have enquired 2 companies (servokon and purevolt) and purevolt said they will ship to chennai. Waiting for servokon reply to make the final decision else I am going with purevolt. The price they quoted is quite shocking compared to chennai rates

Regards,
Vijay

Last edited by vijaycool : 19th May 2012 at 12:35.
Old 19th May 2012, 13:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Vijay,
You can actually put two voltage stabilizers in series to overcome this problem. The first stabilizer needs to be at least 5kva rated and should not have low voltage autocut. The second stabilizer should be connected to the output of the first as input and the resultant output will be 200+ this is like a four step stabilizer. But be careful not to load the second stabilizer more than 2kva. In this condition the first stabilizer will be running at 2x the current as it getting half the voltage and thats why it needs to be of a higher rating. I have used this approach in my inlaws place in Bareilly where the mains voltage often often falls to 110 v level.
An alternate solution, but much more expenive is a servo controller variable transformer which is used in large installations and industries. Afaik the range starts from 7.5 kva onwards and costs upwards of 30k inr.
Regards,
Behemoth
Old 25th May 2012, 17:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
As the chennai heat becomes unbearable, our V-guard double boost unable to cope up with 130V available at the mains. Also the stabilizer cant start the compressor when the voltage is below 160V but it manages to keep the AC alive till 130V is the compressor is running. Sometimes I used to run the fan in inverter mode to get some air from the fan. Enough is enough, I am in search of extra wide input range a.k.a triple boost stabilizer. I asked a local electrician and he recommended a brand called "Spark" which can run the A/C till 120V price is a big shocker 7.5K and for v-guard its Rs 9.5K . Also triple boost mean more loss of power which negates 5* efficiency of the A/C. Anyway I am least bothered on that now. On searching over the www I have found there are some automatic stabilizers come with Toroidal transformer with 110~120V boost range.

AUTOMATIC VOLTAGE STABILIZER, AUTOMATIC POWER REGULATORS, AUTOMATIC POWER CONTROLLERS, MANUFACTURER, EXPORTER, SUPPLIER, INDIA

Stabilizers - Products - Toroidal Urvi.in (Urvi Transformers Pvt. Ltd.)

Domestic Voltage Stabilizers - Digital Servo Stabilizers For Domestic Purpose, Automatic Voltage Stabilizers and Digital Voltage Stabilizers For Air Conditioners Manufacturer & Exporter

Logicstat.com - Automatic Voltage Stabilizers: Specifications

I have enquired 2 companies (servokon and purevolt) and purevolt said they will ship to chennai. Waiting for servokon reply to make the final decision else I am going with purevolt. The price they quoted is quite shocking compared to chennai rates

Regards,
Vijay
Purevolts pricing is on the higher side as the quantity of oil is charged seperately. And the quantity they quote is a lot more than what is required. E.g a 45 KVA 140V-280V oil cooled stabilizer would require 150-200 lts of oil, but purevolt quoted the quantity as 300 lts.

Make sure you take an all inclusive price and the bargain like carzy as these products have really high margins.

Am in the process of getting one myself.
Old 25th May 2012, 17:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I stay in pallikaranai and the power issue is even more pathetic. I have put v-guard double booster 7 months ago but the voltage is as low as 120V and failed to start the compressor. Most of the time I turn on the inverter and use fan. Now looking for a triple boost expecting to start the compressor even the voltage goes as low as 100~ 110V. One bad thing about V-guard is if the voltage is below 155V it cannot able to start the compressor and simply cuts-off . If the compressor is in running state it can work till 128 V. In my entire chennai life I havent seen such low voltages ever as in pallikaranai.
Last year I installed a local brand 'SPARK' double booster (Made by a company in Kandanchavadi, Chennai). I got suggestion through a friend. As per the electrition, this one was custom made and will work better than standard brands like v-guard. So far, it is working fine. The working range is from 110V, though i never measured the input voltage.
Old 25th May 2012, 20:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Last year I installed a local brand 'SPARK' double booster (Made by a company in Kandanchavadi, Chennai). I got suggestion through a friend. As per the electrition, this one was custom made and will work better than standard brands like v-guard. So far, it is working fine. The working range is from 110V, though i never measured the input voltage.
Hey. I was also quoted the same brand name by the electrician. By the way whats the price you got ? I got the quote from purevolt around 4300 + tax + freight charges. Cant avail the warranty if I take purevolt so I am planning to do a search in ritchie street and enquire abt the pricing.

OT: I got a superb deal with 150 Ah tall tubular JC battery ultra low maintenance + 800 VA inverter in GP road 6 months back. The same combo in my local market price was around 22K and I got it for 17K. We use inverter mode every night for the fan as they barely turn at 130V and it manages superbly and not even a mm of liquid level went down. The inverter unit charges the battery as low as 130V and luckily no irritating hum and pure sine wave. This has made us to forget the bad power cut in chennai as it can easily handled 1 lcd tv, 3 fans, 5 tubes, 1 cfl, 1 AMD 550BE pc with 22 inch monitor in our load test.

Regards,
Vijay

Last edited by vijaycool : 25th May 2012 at 20:21.
Old 26th May 2012, 14:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hey. I was also quoted the same brand name by the electrician. By the way whats the price you got ? I got the quote from purevolt around 4300 + tax + freight charges. Cant avail the warranty if I take purevolt so I am planning to do a search in ritchie street and enquire abt the pricing.

Regards,
Vijay
I forgot the exact price, but it was round 6 or 7K (5 KVA, Double booster)
Old 27th May 2012, 09:58   #24
BHPian

I was like a mad man in chennai searching for stabilizer. Went to GP road and everyone seems to milk the customer. The artificial shortage can be felt easily and the price for the stabilizer is not justifiable. VEW-400 8.5~9K. VEW500 for 9.5K. Headed to Ritchie street enquired Shah's and no stock same with kundan electricals. Enquired for 5 KVA buck boost transformer and none available. When I enquired about the cost some said in the region of 4K. Certainly not a good investment. I continued by journey further to Flower bazaar, kasi chetty street and the prices are just same 8.5K for VEW400. Due to the family pressure and chennai heat, I cant just wait for the product to deliver from Delhi that too surface transport. They just want the damn A/C to run thats it. I bite the bullet and got VEW400 for 7.8K. The ideal price for this product should be 6~6.5K nothing more. The mrp printed on the box really means they are ready to milk the customer. This is the lowest I can bargain. Now I am thinking VEW500 could be the best buy due to 14 Amp head range compared to 12 amp in VEW400. But the shop keeper is telling higher rating stabilizer will damage the compressor. But I dont think so. The price difference is just 800 bucks and I will change on monday.

Regards,
Vijay
Old 30th May 2012, 23:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I was like a mad man in chennai searching for stabilizer. Went to GP road and everyone seems to milk the customer. The artificial shortage can be felt easily and the price for the stabilizer is not justifiable. VEW-400 8.5~9K. VEW500 for 9.5K. Headed to Ritchie street enquired Shah's and no stock same with kundan electricals. Enquired for 5 KVA buck boost transformer and none available. When I enquired about the cost some said in the region of 4K. Certainly not a good investment. I continued by journey further to Flower bazaar, kasi chetty street and the prices are just same 8.5K for VEW400. Due to the family pressure and chennai heat, I cant just wait for the product to deliver from Delhi that too surface transport. They just want the damn A/C to run thats it. I bite the bullet and got VEW400 for 7.8K. The ideal price for this product should be 6~6.5K nothing more. The mrp printed on the box really means they are ready to milk the customer. This is the lowest I can bargain. Now I am thinking VEW500 could be the best buy due to 14 Amp head range compared to 12 amp in VEW400. But the shop keeper is telling higher rating stabilizer will damage the compressor. But I dont think so. The price difference is just 800 bucks and I will change on monday.

Regards,
Vijay
VEW500 means double boost or triple boost, am planning to get one triple boost on Friday, as am facing the same issue as you. i stay in kottivakkam.
am clueless which brand to go for, can you advice which brand is best for triple boost
Old 30th May 2012, 23:41   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
am planning to get one triple boost on Friday, as am facing the same issue as you. i stay in kottivakkam.
We are not far away from you ...just down the road! Once again, I am simmering, with the single-boost stabiliser unable to run the 2-ton AC with voltages dropping as low as 160s.

Some time back, we got a double-boost through our AC mechanic, for the microwave oven. Just a local make, not branded. I asked him about a triple-boost, and he said, "It would be as big as your oven: where would you put it?"

I think we have to get one for this AC now.
Old 31st May 2012, 12:57   #27
BHPian

The price for PREMIER 4 KV with 5 yrs warranty Double booster is 3650/- & for triple booster is 6950/- at Mercy electonics in VADAPALANI, Chennai, twice i went there for computer spares i saw the double and triple where flying of the shelf and when i inquired with a prospective buyer he said only here its priced lowest in the City.

Yesterday i bought one Double booster for my 1.5 ton split AC and now it works fine even at low current. By the way the sales man said double booster can boost from 160v and triple from 110v as in my area it does not go below 160v i bought the Double booster.

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 31st May 2012 at 13:02.
Old 31st May 2012, 13:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
VEW500 means double boost or triple boost, am planning to get one triple boost on Friday, as am facing the same issue as you. i stay in kottivakkam.
am clueless which brand to go for, can you advice which brand is best for triple boost
VEW500 is tripleboost. Vijay also mentioned that its a torroid transformer and more efficent and doesn't heat up.

I am in Mylapore and at times the voltage drops to 150v and my double boost Premier has trouble coping and heats up a lot
Old 31st May 2012, 14:04   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Some time back, we got a double-boost through our AC mechanic, for the microwave oven...
Just looked at the label. It takes input voltage 140 to 270, and gives output 200 to 240. Anything below 140 is pretty much a power cut, I guess. Bulbs glowing slightly, maybe, so I don't think its worth looking for more than this.
Old 31st May 2012, 17:07   #30
BHPian

VEW500 is a triple boost. Yesterday it was just 90V and the A/C was running. VEW400 heats little bit because its rated at 12A whereas vew500 is rated 15A. There is a price difference of 1500 between both models.
I couldnt able to understand the logic behind 4KVA and 5KVA ratings.
Ideally 4KVA = 4000Watts
Considering power factor of 0.8 , the capacity of the stabilizer is
4000x0.8 = 3200Watts
As we know,
Power = V (voltage) x I (Current)
The stabilizer should handle 14.6 A of current taking nominal voltage as 220V but the stabilizers are rated just 12A which is not 4KVA

Considering nominal power consumption for 1.5 T A/C is 1750Watt and the line voltage is 170V
1750=170 X I
I= 10.3A which is close to 80% capacity of the stabilizer
But what happens if the voltage is 140
I= 12.5A , This is the point where the stabilizer gets heated up just most of the double booster stabilizer suffer the same.
On 120V
I= 14.6 A, this is where triple booster starts suffering

Hence for a 1.5T A/C at very low voltages you need 15A rated stabilizer to handle the load, thats why I chose 5KVA stabilizer.

In my home the voltage is around 100V during the peak time which means 17.5A of current is drawn from the supply, the stabilizer heats but very much manageable.

Regards,
Vijay

Last edited by vijaycool : 31st May 2012 at 17:29.

Most Viewed