Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2012, 01:13   #1
BHPian

Low Voltage Problem in Chennai

HI All,

Just thought of pouring out the frustration of every night caused due to the very low voltage that comes in the night. It is almost there for the last 1 month where the AC does not even seem to start and if it does can last only for few minutes. Same is the case for even the FANS. with the raising temperature it is becoming too stuffy inside the house and am having real sleepless nights.

Just would like to know for fellow tbhipans in chennai if they also face the same situation. I am literally frustrated and just want to bang the heads of all the TNEB sources responsible. Isn't this is a basic right? Isnt the EB board supposed to provide a minimum voltage of 220 Volts?

When we are expected to pay higher prices for using higher units is it wrong to expect them to provide proper service? Does this not qualify for deficiency in service?

Last edited by aravind84 : 5th May 2012 at 01:18.
Old 5th May 2012, 02:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84
HI All,

Just thought of pouring out the frustration of every night caused due to the very low voltage that comes in the night. It is almost there for the last 1 month where the AC does not even seem to start and if it does can last only for few minutes. Same is the case for even the FANS. with the raising temperature it is becoming too stuffy inside the house and am having real sleepless nights.

Just would like to know for fellow tbhipans in chennai if they also face the same situation. I am literally frustrated and just want to bang the heads of all the TNEB sources responsible. Isn't this is a basic right? Isnt the EB board supposed to provide a minimum voltage of 220 Volts?

When we are expected to pay higher prices for using higher units is it wrong to expect them to provide proper service? Does this not qualify for deficiency in service?
Where exactly are you located?

In Velachery- although voltage fluctuations are there, its not as severe as you have mentioned, till now. But, I just got stabiliser for fridge as well after seeing the fluctuating voltage.
Old 5th May 2012, 07:28   #3
BHPian

re: Low Voltage Problem in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

In Velachery- although voltage fluctuations are there, its not as severe as you have mentioned, till now. But, I just got stabiliser for fridge as well after seeing the fluctuating voltage.
I stay in West Mambalam and the fluctuations are severe. Imagine this, AC does not even switch on till 3 AM in the morning. TV's swtich on and off every 2 mins right from 5 PM all the way till 3 AM.

This is damn frustrating and despite raising this so many times with the TNEB no action seems to have been taken or no action would ever be taken. I am seriously losing respect for all these government employees who do not do their job. Last month we paid 35K to these useless people to fix the cable lines since they said that has not been properly laid. This problem is not just at my door but all neighbours also face the same problem.
Old 6th May 2012, 20:24   #4
BHPian

I went through the same issue on 2009 Summer, as you said since the voltage goes below your stabilizer can work it is switching off the A/C. I went to Ritchie Street Shah Store and bought 100v (I think 5KV) stabilizer and then it started working, still you can use only one A/C in your house. The usual stabilizer you get from retail stores will work only till 160-170v, anything below, it will stop working.
Old 6th May 2012, 20:49   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
HI All,

Quote:
I stay in West Mambalam and the fluctuations are severe. Imagine this, AC does not even switch on till 3 AM in the morning. TV's swtich on and off every 2 mins right from 5 PM all the way till 3 AM.

This is damn frustrating and despite raising this so many times with the TNEB no action seems to have been taken or no action would ever be taken. I am seriously losing respect for all these government employees who do not do their job. Last month we paid 35K to these useless people to fix the cable lines since they said that has not been properly laid. This problem is not just at my door but all neighbours also face the same problem.
I too had this problem Last year and thought there is no use complaining,so bought a double booster stabilizer for the AC and from then on no problem.You have double and triple booster stabilizers available in the market,but please buy branded ones.Sakthi/vguard ect are good

BTW i stay adyar

Recently ,say about 3 months back we complained and the EB guys came and found that the problem was due to loose connection at the my house line and the mail line.

So please check with the EB guys and if you need assistance call 155333-the EB call center and you will be given a complain no so that you can follow up.if this doesnt solve collect more people from your street and write a letter collectively ..it will definitely work

All the best !

Last edited by joshguy : 6th May 2012 at 20:54. Reason: added few points
Old 6th May 2012, 21:09   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

We bought triple-boost stabiliser for the microwave. One good thing about our Samsung ACs is that they do seem to cope with low voltage (standard stabilisers) really well.
Quote:
Isn't this is a basic right? Isnt the EB board supposed to provide a minimum voltage of 220 Volts?
They can't supply what they haven't got. At that point, I can't see any alternative to the discussion becoming political, and that may not be appropriate on T-BHP.
Old 6th May 2012, 23:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Me too from Velachery and agree with you. Out of 3 phases one is not working for past few days and other one also went out today evening. Now hope to survive the night.
Old 6th May 2012, 23:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

I used to have this problem in kerala. I solved it by getting myself a servo voltage stabilizer(works all the way down to 80V).

Took care of everything except the heavy duty items. You can get a sufficiently high capacity one made though, but was worried about the power bills, so didnt
Old 7th May 2012, 15:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
I too had this problem Last year and thought there is no use complaining,so bought a double booster stabilizer for the AC and from then on no problem.You have double and triple booster stabilizers available in the market,but please buy branded ones.Sakthi/vguard ect are good

BTW i stay adyar

Recently ,say about 3 months back we complained and the EB guys came and found that the problem was due to loose connection at the my house line and the mail line.

So please check with the EB guys and if you need assistance call 155333-the EB call center and you will be given a complain no so that you can follow up.if this doesnt solve collect more people from your street and write a letter collectively ..it will definitely work

All the best !
I got the triple booster installed almost a year back and still i am facing issues of low voltage. The supply coming in itself is low which is causing all the problems.

Also, there seems to be no response from the EB guys in 155333. I have almost made 10 complaints but to ill effect.
Old 7th May 2012, 17:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Just would like to know for fellow tbhipans in chennai if they also face the same situation.
Calling 155333 is useless. Find out where your local EB office is and go there.

I live in Adyar. We faced the same problem for couple of nights. Then all of us in our area registered separate complaints in our local EB office. So, there was 100 or so complaints with them. So they had to take action. So, they changed all the fuse wires in EB pillars and also serviced the area Transformer. Now, everything is back to normal.

On a positive note. There is less of loading shedding (scheduled power cut), thanks to increased wind power generation.
Old 7th May 2012, 18:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post

On a positive note. There is less of loading shedding (scheduled power cut), thanks to increased wind power generation.
Wouldn't that be the source of low voltage problems (no load shedding)? I am sure its a power management problem rather than lack of power.
Old 7th May 2012, 18:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

The low voltage and fluctuations are more in Mandaveli as well. I stay in Perungalathur and my in laws in Mandaveli. We tried staying overnight in Mandaveli and instead drove back to perungalathur where the voltage was far more stable and Hitachi does handle this fluctuations a little better than samsung as one said here.
Old 7th May 2012, 19:20   #13
BHPian

AFAIK, The issue is simple, the input is not sufficient, the Transformer in that particular area is not able to distribute the power to everybody as everybody wants more power. All they have to do is increase the KV of the Transformer in the area to meet the capacity. This never happens quickly, it takes years irrespective of multiple complaints, visiting politicians, ministers.. Unless somebody in that area can get it escalated, the only option is to get the 100v stabilizer.
Old 18th May 2012, 15:39   #14
BHPian

I stay in pallikaranai and the power issue is even more pathetic. I have put v-guard double booster 7 months ago but the voltage is as low as 120V and failed to start the compressor. Most of the time I turn on the inverter and use fan. Now looking for a triple boost expecting to start the compressor even the voltage goes as low as 100~ 110V. One bad thing about V-guard is if the voltage is below 155V it cannot able to start the compressor and simply cuts-off . If the compressor is in running state it can work till 128 V. In my entire chennai life I havent seen such low voltages ever as in pallikaranai.
Old 18th May 2012, 15:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

guys conventional stabilizers go down only to 150/180V or so. If you want a wider range, I think a servo stabilizer is the only way to go

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks