Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2012, 12:28   #61

Re: Low Voltage Problem in Chennai

Hello,
The VEW 400 (replaced one) works fine in running my 1.5T Carrier window. There have been no trips in the two new C32 MCBs. No fuse blown so far.
@Vijay @Thad
Strange that you report of outages/low voltage this week.
Last few days has been really good in my area in Kottivakkam. No power cut throughout the last few nights and the voltage situation has probably improved - I notice complete icing in my fridge freezer after a long time (which is a 180V+ only capable fridge, no servo input). All three phases have been working fine without any phase black out, which is quite something for Kottivakkam, compared to the annoying last few weeks this summer.
@Vijay - could not find any electical shops in ECR selling fuse wires, I created my own from a 4 mm sq copper wire/split into three fuse wires. Hope that is just about the right resistance needed in the fuse wire.
Old 9th June 2012, 14:06   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
It will work till 130V if the compressor is running. It cannot start the compressor if the voltage is less than 160V. Anyway it has the IP voltage reading you can monitor few days.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info
Voltage I have observed it is around 180-190V. Minimum has been 175 and it doesn't go below that.

How is the voltage situation in other parts of Chennai?

Cheers,
K
Old 10th June 2012, 00:30   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh9999 View Post
@Vijay @Thad
Strange that you report of outages/low voltage this week.
Last few days has been really good in my area in Kottivakkam. No power cut throughout the last few nights and the voltage situation has probably improved - I notice complete icing in my fridge freezer after a long time (which is a 180V+ only capable fridge, no servo input). All three phases have been working fine without any phase black out, which is quite something for Kottivakkam, compared to the annoying last few weeks this summer.
I'm deeply envious, especially as I live in the same general area! I wonder if Vijay lives anywhere near here!

Our 13-hour overnight outage was a blown transformer. Had seen the EB men (know one of them a little) splicing a burnt-out cable near to it early in the evening. After they fixed that, it seems the whole thing must have burnt out.

We get our power from the Perungudi side, though. At the moment, my computer UPS says it is receiving 182, and that is through a single-boost stabilizer. Last night was an improvement: we were able to have 1-ton AC in the bedroom all night.

Cooler weather is forecast. Maybe things will improve all round
Old 10th June 2012, 10:39   #64
BHPian

I stay in Pallikaranai area. Last 2 days it was much much better morning is around 200V and in the night around 180V. There used to be power cut in the night but I dont think its happening now. Windmill is the only saviour now.
Old 13th June 2012, 13:35   #65
BHPian

I thought "all is well" now but after the 10~11 PM power cut we are getting ultra low voltages. Before the power cut I used to get around 180~190V. Yesterday even vew500 tripped to save the A/C. It just runs at 90V which is not at all safe. Somehow in another phase around 130V and A/C used to work as usual. Phew.. Rest of our area was so silent and only my A/C is running. Little relieved I had spend 10K for this and felt happy

Last edited by vijaycool : 13th June 2012 at 13:36.
Old 13th November 2012, 10:46   #66
BHPian

Guys, i recently shifted to anna nagar east in chennai, in a prime location (if i may) from Kilpauk and have been plagued by high and low voltages. Within minutes it jumps from 190v to 275v and back. Never had this problem in Kilpauk.
Plan to call the EB but dont really know if it will help. Wiring is very good here in this house, wonder about loose contact at the mains, as someone mentioned in the thread.
Any idea how much a servo stabilizer for the whole house will cost? Will electrical bill go up due to this servo?
Old 23rd April 2013, 13:28   #67
BHPian

Hi,

Since, the summer started. We lost our proper sleep now-a-days due to the voltage fluctuations. Let me describe the problem clearly,

I live in Thoraipakkam ( Secretariat Colony area), a month back our AC did not cool the properly. So, I decided to service it for the summer. Local AC service guy came , he serviced it and told the me the gas is low , charged some 10pound gas as well. In the night, I tried to switch on the AC, that's it.. All the light,fan almost stopped and fuse blown in mainline. Though we;ve tripper switch with change over, we got fuse blown in mainline.

So, As i was advised by the forum and other technicians, bought the Premier 4KV Double booster from Mercy Electronics on the next day itself. So, was expecting a good sleep on that night. But the same thing happened. Once compressor started, first fuse gone, then tried the second, that also gone. So, left alone the 3rd for the backup. Sometimes, the AC is running and getting only hot air after that. These things happening only from 9:30 P.M to 1 P.M. After that AC is working fine very well.

I'm using 1.5 Samsung split AC. I'm not at all clear on why this happening as if the voltage is low only the stabilizer should cut-off otherwise, the tripper switch should go down. Instead of this the main fuse is blown.

Kindly share your suggestions/views to handle this issue in any otherway.
Old 28th April 2013, 01:02   #68
BHPian

My parents stay at Medavakkam and he recently moved to V guard Triple booster.

AC is running very fine now and but the cost is around Rs.8000/-.
Old 29th April 2013, 18:47   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi,

Since, the summer started. We lost our proper sleep now-a-days due to the voltage fluctuations. Let me describe the problem clearly,

I live in Thoraipakkam ( Secretariat Colony area), a month back our AC did not cool the properly. So, I decided to service it for the summer. Local AC service guy came , he serviced it and told the me the gas is low , charged some 10pound gas as well. In the night, I tried to switch on the AC, that's it.. All the light,fan almost stopped and fuse blown in mainline. Though we;ve tripper switch with change over, we got fuse blown in mainline.

So, As i was advised by the forum and other technicians, bought the Premier 4KV Double booster from Mercy Electronics on the next day itself. So, was expecting a good sleep on that night. But the same thing happened. Once compressor started, first fuse gone, then tried the second, that also gone. So, left alone the 3rd for the backup. Sometimes, the AC is running and getting only hot air after that. These things happening only from 9:30 P.M to 1 P.M. After that AC is working fine very well.

I'm using 1.5 Samsung split AC. I'm not at all clear on why this happening as if the voltage is low only the stabilizer should cut-off otherwise, the tripper switch should go down. Instead of this the main fuse is blown.

Are you using regular copper wire in your fuses? If yes, then check if you are using just a single strand of copper fiber. If yes then this is probably too thin to support your A/C load.

Idealy we should use "Tinned-Copper Fuse Wire" of SWG 28 or similar thickness. But I doubt that you can obtain this from any neighbouring shops.

Instead of this, we can twist together 2 or more strands of regular copper wire inside the fuse. You need around 0.4mm dia of copper to support 20A load that is required by 1.5 T AC's. Thats around 6-7 strands of twisted copper fiber. BTW this is advisable ONLY if you have got the correct rating of MCB for your A/C (for safety sake).
Old 22nd June 2013, 14:00   #70
BHPian

What is the cheapest and safest way to check line voltage?

I have recently shifted to Chennai and all these terms (double boost, triple boost is like greek to me). I stay in Palavakkam Anna Salai and have noticed low voltage from past 1 week and my 1 ton AC also seems to be coughing all night and not cooling enough. I think it is time i also join the brigade and do something after gathering knowledge in this forum.
Old 22nd June 2013, 18:58   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
What is the cheapest and safest way to check line voltage?

I have recently shifted to Chennai and all these terms (double boost, triple boost is like greek to me). I stay in Palavakkam Anna Salai and have noticed low voltage from past 1 week and my 1 ton AC also seems to be coughing all night and not cooling enough. I think it is time i also join the brigade and do something after gathering knowledge in this forum.
For approximate readings you can buy a cheap multimeter from Ritchie st, will cost you 250-300rs.
Old 22nd June 2013, 19:02   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi,

Did you sort this out? Was it the compressor? I think the service guy caused some problem during gas filling.
This used to happen to me when the MCB would trip as soon as the compressor came on. The Ac mechanic changed a capacitor on the ODU and all was fine.
Old 18th February 2015, 18:02   #73
Senior - BHPian

How much will a servo stabilizer for the whole house (leaving out Fridge, heater etc) cost? Mine is a 3 bhk apartment. Let us say the load will be 2 TVs, One computer, four fans, 2 tube lights and four CFL lamps. It should connect to my inverter. And how much would it cost if I want to include two 165 litre refrigerators as well?

I suppose I will have to take care of the ACs through separate boost stabilizers.

We are experiencing extreme fluctuations at night for the past few months. Especially three apartment blocks connected to one particular transformer. Power goes way down and the inverter kicks in; then after a while it goes way up so that the fans run like tornados! The transformer was replaced a few weeks ago, but the problem persists. The area is Chromepet.

The EB fellows at first told us to check our respective neutral lines. The electrician checked and said they are perfectly ok. Then they said the cables to our apartment blocks should be replaced. That is absurd, all three separate buildings can't have faulty cables at the same time. Our electrician says there must be a problem with neutral in the pillar box underneath the transformer, but the EB fellows are not listening. We are considering a road roko now!
Old 18th February 2015, 23:57   #74
BHPian

Oh boy!, the summer hasn't even started !

I tried to similar I was told that if you get below 140 to 160v (sometimes I get 110v in the night when everybody around me turn on the A/C), the Servo will not work.

I think they should install new transformer..
Old 19th February 2015, 01:07   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The EB fellows at first told us to check our respective neutral lines. The electrician checked and said they are perfectly ok. Then they said the cables to our apartment blocks should be replaced. That is absurd, all three separate buildings can't have faulty cables at the same time. Our electrician says there must be a problem with neutral in the pillar box underneath the transformer, but the EB fellows are not listening. We are considering a road roko now!
We had this issue in anna nagar east. It was a loose contact at a db box in our street. I was contemplating the same as you to protect my equipment. However it was fixed in a few weeks and luckily no damage. I think the inverter does provide certain protection in low voltage scenarios as well. Some days i would just switch over to the inverter though there was low voltage in the phases to avoid having to intervene when the inverter would get into fault mode due to extreme low voltage

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks