Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2012, 08:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Roaming charges to go, one-nation-one-number

Isn't this called big government? Meddle in everything, we are the geniuses. But we don't care about social issues.
I hope operators dont bid for 4G spectrum at all.
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:26   #32
Senior - BHPian

Team,

I am unable to comprehend the negativity about this new rule/law.

I am on Vodafone, I travel to Bangalore or Hyderabad and connect to Vodafone network in that particular state. Why should I pay roaming charges to Vodafone ?

Isn't the Vodafone network in Bangalore/Hyderabad and Maharashtra owned by the same entity Vodafone ?

Having said that, If I am connecting to some other operators network when on roaming, I wont mind paying roaming charges as the company has to pay the other operator.
Old 3rd June 2012, 11:42   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I am unable to comprehend the negativity about this new rule/law.
The negativity is about the entire thing and not just the no roaming charges.
Old 4th June 2012, 21:47   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Maybe that's the reason why Airtel reduced headcount by 6% in a single quarter last year? Or why so many telcos are bleeding? Let's not even get into the mess with Etisalat, Videocon, Uninor and MTS.
I am mainly referring to the QoS we get here compared to abroad. And the mess you are referring to with Etisalat, Videocon, Uninor et al relates mainly to licensing.

Telecom may have hit a rough patch now but there's no denying the fact that the top 3-4 telecom operators were doing pretty well inspite of the rock bottom rates we have all enjoyed for so many years. I make calls to the US @ Rs 2/min (under a special corp calling plan) and that's not using VOIP!

Head count reduction is a dynamic thing and is normally temporary corrective action to maintain or even increase profitability. Most organisations do that. That does not mean that our telecom companies are providing shoddy service. It's not just my customers in EU but my relatives, including my brother who is in SE Asia and others from US/EU, who when travelling to India on holiday are really impressed with the service we get versus the price we pay. I am generally horrified when I pay my prepaid mobile topup voucher in the UK. Local call rates (converted to Rs) are 10p (pence) i.e. >Rs 8/min. How does that sound to you?

Last edited by R2D2 : 4th June 2012 at 21:48.
Old 25th September 2012, 09:40   #35
BANNED

Now again haring some noise from Sibal. Maybe we actually see it next year, provided the govt (and telecom companies) last that long!!
Old 25th September 2012, 09:55   #36
BHPian

It's a good move. Airtime based usage regardless of location called. This is not unlike a fuel hike. Protest for a while but then the needs come out on top and all is forgiven.

What is the percentage of people who move out of their home circle so frequently that it will dent the roaming revenue? the increased volume of such calls might provide for the same revenue stream as today.
Old 25th September 2012, 10:19   #37
BHPian

Well all of the service providers have made enough money all these years and it is time they start thinking of the consumer. Hope this is implemented without any issues. For starters we will have to wait and watch on how it will be implemented and will there be any "hidden" costs attached to it!
Old 25th September 2012, 11:05   #38
BANNED

The charges are already headed north. They will be shelling out another neat pile for the 2G. Nothing is free, so we will ultimately pay.

I am all for no roaming and also All India Number Portability.
Old 25th September 2012, 11:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

This is a move to make sure the campaign financiers(aka telcos) get back their money really fast after the 2G auction. The first licenses were given away, which gave them the ability to cut call costs, now when they pay upfront for spectrum, they will pile on debt. Its so heartwarming that the government is concerned about their financials.

The next step should be to ensure some speed in mobile broadband, right now, all these operators can manage are speeds that are slower than dial up.
Old 25th September 2012, 11:22   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The next step should be to ensure some speed in mobile broadband, right now, all these operators can manage are speeds that are slower than dial up.
Depends a lot on location.

I get 1 Mbps+ on my Reliance CDMA wherever EVDO is there. On the other hand BSNL is pathetically slow.

My Photon+ gives me 1.8Mbps or more except in the evenings.
Old 24th January 2013, 22:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Any update on this - Feb is approaching? My friend who is residing in Noida right now willl be moving to Hydrabad in a couple of months. Will he be able to still use his Noida number without being considered roaming (with or without same operator) ?
Old 25th January 2013, 08:39   #42
J.Ravi

When recharging my Bangalore BSNL prepaid mobile, I was told that I had to select a new plan and I selected roam-free plan, costing Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 356
Size:  578 Bytes 199 valid for six months with a lot of talk-time, sms and others included. Now, I am in Chennai and not charged for roaming for incoming calls and sms.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 25th January 2013 at 08:43.

Old 25th January 2013, 09:38   #43
BANNED

Two things - Roaming will be free and national number portability will come - one India, One Zone, One Number.

Expect tariff to go up - after all they are losing the revenue from Roaming. Also,given out hyper efficient SEBs in many places they are running towers of Diesel for at least 12 hours. Even though I am rarely out of zone, still I am all for it.
Old 25th January 2013, 09:44   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Two things - Roaming will be free and national number portability will come - one India, One Zone, One Number.

Expect tariff to go up - after all they are losing the revenue from Roaming. Also,given out hyper efficient SEBs in many places they are running towers of Diesel for at least 12 hours. Even though I am rarely out of zone, still I am all for it.
Airtel and Idea have already doubled their Tariffs.
Old 1st July 2013, 19:39   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Free roaming comes into effect, Airtel leads charge.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/20858550.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks