Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2012, 14:16   #1
BHPian

Roaming charges to go, one-nation-one-number

MODS: Please merge if new thread not warranted. Thanks

New Telecom policy approved: Roaming charges to go, one-nation-one-number cleared

Quote:
The Cabinet on Thursday approved a new telecom policy that proposes to abolish roaming charges on mobile phones and allow users to retain the same number across the country.

The Cabinet approved the National Telecom Policy (NTP) 2012, a senior minister told reporters after the meeting of the Cabinet.
Source & Full Article

Rajan

Last edited by GTO : 31st May 2012 at 16:17. Reason: Keeping fair usage practices in mind, it is best to include an excerpt + link to full article
Old 31st May 2012, 14:25   #2
BANNED

Re: Roaming charges to go, one-nation-one-number

I am glad they are waking up. Reliance when they bid first said, Re.1 per minute flat! The babus and the rest were aghast.

Than was ages ago!! The moment you have a flat rate and no roaming there can be no charge for moving states. Then portability is but a small distance.
Old 31st May 2012, 14:31   #3
BHPian

Indeed a very good move by the cabinet providing some relief for the common man struggling to cope up with inflation.

Any news when will this be implemented?

BTW, This could mean huge loss of revenue to Telco companies. Hope they don't lobby and try to delay/reverse the decision.
Old 31st May 2012, 14:40   #4
BHPian

Sorry to say, but I don't understand the big words like inflation and all fully! But I am happy as a common man because it will come lite on my pocket while paying the mobile bills. On duty I travel to multiple states and my personal calls cannot be calimed as per my company policy and I am losing money with that. I am happy with this move and waiting for the execution of this rule across India.
Old 31st May 2012, 14:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome decision. Inspite of all it mis-givings and corruption scandals, this government has been making a few, but important policy changes.

I wonder what will happen to the differences in plans and pricing models, considering not all operators give the same plans across all states (for postpaid).

This is a completely pro-consumer move!

I can see one very important follow-through effect. No difference in local and STD calls rates for all operators. Pretty sure, the new operators would be cashing on this "value-add" asap. Guess we are about to get another set of boring ads of Ranbir & Abhishek showing how Tata/Idea have abolished concept of STD calls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
BTW, This could mean huge loss of revenue to Telco companies. Hope they don't lobby and try to delay/reverse the decision.
Huge loss! But mainly to the big three. But I believe this decision was in the offering since ages, but delayed due to lobbying!
Old 31st May 2012, 14:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

It is heartening to see at least some departments of the Govt. are maturing and formulating sensible policies. First, MNP and now abolishment of roaming charges.

This will bode well for a huge majority for people.

Next on the agenda should be, a guarantee of minimum speed on GPRS/3G and reduction of SMS charges.
Old 31st May 2012, 15:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is a good initiative. Glad to see roaming at no charge. Am sure many people migrating will not need to change their numbers too.

There was some talk some time back that the TRAI was also looking at regulating SMS charges and not allowing providers to charge above a certain rate. The prescribed rate for SMS was in the region of 20/ 30 ps each
It was also published then that the cost to the provider is 1ps per sms. And they charge anything ranging from 50 ps to 1 .5 Rs. per sms.
Old 31st May 2012, 15:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

Implementing inter-circle MNP is going to be a huge challenge for the telcos.
Old 31st May 2012, 15:09   #9
BANNED

There has to be a quid pro quo. Is this a deal in response to reduction of reserve prices in spectrum auction, and a unified license. Less power to the babus.
Old 31st May 2012, 15:19   #10
BHPian

But don't you think this might shoot up the local call rates and make those at par with present STD rates! Or maybe somewhere in between.

Not sure which way this might turn. We got to wait and watch. :-)
Old 31st May 2012, 16:06   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Laudable indeed. Its about time we started behaving like we are one country and not some un coordinated, dis jointed, confused entity. One Nation, One Number One Price is a good thing.
Old 31st May 2012, 16:24   #12
BHPian

Great move !!
I have changed 5 numbers in last 3 years. I hope the current one will remain as my permanent number

- What about the value added offers/schemes? Will it be applicable even on move ?

- Will the call rates/schemes/offers be same for all states (for a given network?)

- When on roaming mode, the network gets registered with the sim. Will there be any changes?
Old 31st May 2012, 16:24   #13
BANNED

This is fine.

But can you please bring "one nation one vehicle number" concept (i.e. no interstate vehicle transfer hassles)?
Old 31st May 2012, 16:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

1 idli: 1 rupee
1 minute outgoing call from mobile: 10 rupees

1 idli: 10 rupees
1 minute outgoing call from mobile: 1 rupee

India shining but hungry :|

Last edited by selfdrive : 31st May 2012 at 16:57. Reason: edited smiley
Old 31st May 2012, 18:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
This is fine.

But can you please bring "one nation one vehicle number" concept (i.e. no interstate vehicle transfer hassles)?
I second this opinion. In my opinion, the price of a vehicle should be same throughout India, else, the states will not allow that. As tax is a state affair and not central affair, getting common rate throughout country is not that easy. If there is a price difference and if people can register their cars anywhere in India, the states with higher tax rates will obviously see a huge loss in revenue. There should be a mid-way to break this stalemate. Also, the taxi segment may continue status-quo. At-least the private users should be given the freedom to take their car to any state they go to in whole of India. (I believe this freedom is one of the basic elements of Indian constitution).

To add to this, different states have different rules regarding the duration you can use another state registered vehicle. In Karnataka, I have had a KL registered car (my BIL's car) for a couple of days and when I was stopped by the cop, they did not get anything else to charge me and turned to the registration. I argued that the car is not even an year old and how can they ask me to pay local tax and also I showed the toll bills to prove my claim of "just driven in to Bangalore". They let me scot-free. My BIL uses this car in Salem and he was stopped once by MVI team he was asked to pay the fine. He argued with one year duration, but came to know that in TN it is just a month's time you can use another state registered car.

(That time he was let scot-free due to the sticker of a political party which was there on the wind shield of that car. This was not put by him intentionally, but by some party workers when he had parked near a mall the previous night - blessing in disguise !!! He was supposed to remove it that night, but now intentionally continuing with it).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks