Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2012, 00:29   #1
BHPian

Table Tennis anyone ?

Starting this thread for all Table Tennis fans in here.

After about a 8 year hiatus from the game, My interest in the game has resurfaced.Used to play it when I was in college almost obsessively - in the college games room.My earlier companies didn't have a TT Table.
But now since my new company has a TT Table,I have started playing again. Also joined a local TT club where I play on most weekends.

Today at the club I was told my racket was a 'Basic' one, It is a Butterfly purchased for the princely sum of Rs 750(Basic huh ?)
Not that the Basic comment hurt my ego lol. But now I am looking to purchase a new racket. Not a high end one, but the Blade and Rubber separate.
Any suggestions
Old 15th July 2012, 02:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Table Tennis anyone ?

Haven't been playing for a very long time but during those days the best for the money used to be Yashaka Mark V rubber and Butterfly wood (hope I'm remembering correctly). There was some other wood which also used to be popular but I'm now unable to recall. This combination should cost you around 2.5-3k I guess. Someone playing regularly at present can give more up to date advice on both price and combinations available. But this used to be an awesome combination those days. Also choosing a rubber is also based on one's playing style, so this might not be best if your playing doesn't match. I hope there are TT experts who can chip in here.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 15th July 2012 at 02:28.
Old 15th July 2012, 12:40   #3
BHPian

I used to play TT when in school. Played it more than cricket. I was enrolled in a club but not sure if it still exists. It was in Chennai, the YMCA. Awesome place where I had the opportunity as a kid to play with big guys. Later we moved to a different locality and I veered out of track and started playing cricket. But even now every often when I find time and a club near to where I stay, I'd love to play TT. I still have my Stag and Butterfly rackets well preserved than my Power cricket bat.
Old 16th July 2012, 09:22   #4
BHPian

Nostalgic thread! I used to represent my district while in school. I played at the sub-junior and junior levels and also got the chance to represent my state twice. Unfortunately, though, I wasn't allowed to participate in those due to exams. Thereafter, I won many tournaments during my college and university days. TT is the only sport that I played, apart from perhaps Badminton to a much lesser extent. It's been long since I held a TT racket now. Worse, there aren't many people who play 'proper' TT, so even if I get the opportunity to play, the experience isn't great.
Old 16th July 2012, 11:49   #5
BHPian

Good to see TT making its presence felt on team-bhp

I could relate to this thread as been away from TT for one or another reason for 8 years until last 6 months. My current employer has decent setup for TT. I have a friend in residential society, with whom playing TT at least 2-3 times/week. So the enjoyment is back.

I was checking in Pune, the Butterfly racquets has 3 variants priced as 750, 1100 and 2500. The 2500 was in stock, I did not buy as wanted to see the other 2 before spending my money.

As someone mentioned on the thread of Mark5 on butterfly ply used to be the benchmark for better players then, unfortunately not closely in touch to recommend better options today

--
PS : currently using Stag, shield and Donic racquets. The first 2 are 12-15 years old
Old 16th July 2012, 11:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

What kind of player are you?

I sometimes move to more spin and sometimes mostly attacking and have found different rubbers suiting me at different times. When i want to play more spin (Chop and Top spin) and Butterfly suits me more. There are times when i want to play high speed that is when i have found Yashaka Anti-Spin or the High-Speed rubber more suitable.

Pick and choose one, and change later on if needed. Will search for my bat this week and post pictures.
Old 16th July 2012, 15:26   #7
BHPian

Now this is a really interesting thread.

I started playing TT while I was in class 5th as those were the days of Aarakshan (VP Singh days) and schools were closed for endless days. Used to go with dad to the club.

The hobby continued and then went on to win the School championship in class 8th & 11th.

Again went on to win the college championship. After I started to work, taught a lot of my colleagues in Office and weekends were mostly spent in office games room as all of us were bachelors away from home.

Today too when I get time, I make it a point to have a game with my director, only to win it.

In school days, used to play with Kung-Fu or Belbot rackets which were in the range of Rs: 80-120. Currently I own a Stiga Carbotech 20 bat. Bought it for Rs: 2100.

Check for Stiga/Butterfly brands. There is a big range to suit every pocket and playing style.

Check this link as they have a lot of options and then can check in a shop: Buy GKI Kung-Fu Table Tennis Bat Online | PlayGroundOnline

Note: I am not associated with this website in anyway.
Old 16th July 2012, 17:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
What kind of player are you?
My game right now, could best be described as a chop chop game, with some aggressive shots to 'Open' from the chops. Sometimes I manage to 'Open' and other times it lands in the net.

I am looking for a racket which can help me 'Open'. i.e. convert the backspins into a aggressive shot(both backhand and forehand).

Are you referring to the Mark V when you say "Yashaka Anti-Spin" ?
I have heard only good things about this rubber, at the club and now here too.
Seems to be the value gold standard for non professional players.

Heading to Selection sports today to see what they have to say. Most probably won't buy it today though.
Old 16th July 2012, 17:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
Are you referring to the Mark V when you say "Yashaka Anti-Spin" ?
Mark V comes in Anti-Spin, Offensive Rubber, and High Speed Rubber. There might be more but this is what i have seen and used. I personally liked the High Speed one as it lets you chop-chop and then when one return lands on the forehand quickly move and to a top-spin smash or a plain flat power smash depending on the bounce.

Do look at KillerSpin and Donic, i have seen most defensive (Chop-Chop) players use Killer Spin.

You can look at all the brands and classifications here

Table Tennis Rubber - Megaspin.net
Old 16th July 2012, 23:17   #10
BHPian

This link is good mayank, Thanks. I am just going through it.

At Selection sports too I was told Mark V is 'evergreen'. And a Friendship rubber should be OK for the Back Hand.
I however need to do a little more research before I buy it. (Half the fun of buying something is doing the Research).

I can understand Rubbers being Aggressive/Defensive etc. But the Ply being classified as Aggressive or defensive is something I still don't understand, reading about now
Old 17th July 2012, 04:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

, Forget aggressive or defensive, you should read my badminton thread. In badminton the play is recognized as European, Asian etc.

To add to that, aggressive does not mean the guy will not defend, or defensive does not mean the guy will not attack. It just means that style of play is dominant in his play. When i started i was a very defensive player (Chop is a defensive stroke), later slowly with guidance and as i moved up i become an aggressive player (Top spin is a aggressive stroke). So i do both now, but whenever an opportunity presents itself i attempt to do a top spin.

Its been quiet a while since i played seriously, so-much-so that my bat is also difficult to find now
Old 17th July 2012, 14:33   #12
BHPian

Ah.. Nice thread. Stirred up lot of memories about the past (when I used to play regularly).

Rubbers, Blades(Plank/Bat) and even glue that is used to stick the rubbers to the ply,contribute to the style of play.

Rubbers meant for high speed play are generally firmer than the others. Ex: Yasaka Mark V, Sriver, Rapid Tibhar

Blades/Ply meant for speed are heavier than others. Ex: Carbon wood ply, Clipper wood (Butterfly and Donic were the famous ones)

Glue also plays a major part in achieving high speed play. Ex: Stiga Speed Glue, Yasaka and Donic

Among offensive players, rubbers like Friendship, Phantom etc are considered relatively defensive and are used for backhand strokes(Many people are weak in backhand strokes compared to forehand strokes)

Every player can either be offensive or defensive, not both.

By offensive in TT terms, it means the player who takes the initiative and attacks(top spin, flat shots etc) and he plays closer to the table.

By defensive in TT terms, it means the player who waits for the other player to attack and when attacked, tries to keep the ball in play (cuts, chops). He waits for the other player to make mistakes by keeping the ball in play. He generally plays away from the table.

When an offensive player doesnt attack, it doesnt mean that he is defensive but it means that he is NOT attacking. At the same time, defensive players seldom play attacking style.

PS: There are 2 different types of gripping the bat itself, namely Pen Hold and Shakehand. But that is a different topic altogether
Old 17th July 2012, 14:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, I was not very clear in my post. I was talking about Yashaka Mark V High Speed rubber. I liked playing with that (me too was a chop and attack and very bad at defense type player) although currently I don't have a bat (and not playing also these days, it's been years). Seems like you are from Mumbai and recently (around 2 years back) one of my friend got a new set of rubber and wood from Mumbai for a good price (if I remember correctly he got Mark V for forehand and Butterfly Sriver for backhand). Will ask him from where he got it and will post here.
Old 17th July 2012, 15:52   #14
BHPian

My cousin's and nephew's house walls are full of prizes and i love the game too. I played in school but received no training or encouragement. I seriously time and again toy with the idea of getting a table.
Old 11th August 2012, 23:49   #15
BHPian

Finally bought it.

Joola Carbon Ply - Rs 1400
Mark V Rubber for the Forehand - Rs 1000
RITC 729 Rubber for the Backhand - Rs 350. Will be changing this one I guess in some time.

Still not used to it - have trouble controlling the speed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks