Beach Volleyball 6 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2012, 19:36   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Olympics 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jai-uno-t View Post

Investment? Personally, i don't think so, for a country that still takes financial aid packages from around the world, has a space program, serious infrastructure issues, female feoticide and infanticide problems, poverty, housing and gawd knows what else, there are far more deserving and important things you should be spending your money on.
If you think all countries that have won their medals have solved all of their problems then I dont think there is nothing left to say. Achievement in any field spurs the country's ambitions, unity and morale in a positive manner - be it sports, science or economy. The comments makes slight of the achievement of the sports persons, most of whom have braved less privileged circumstances to achieve their ambition
Old 10th August 2012, 02:54   #62
BHPian

Not at all. However, on my drive from home to work, i don't pass endless slums and shanty towns. Open sewers, hordes sleeping in the street. Nor do i have mutilated beggars, street urchins begging for change at every junction.

Whilst poverty exists everywhere, when you drive past the gleaming towers of new India, and see the abject poverty in their shadow, makes you think how many meals, innoculations, books and roofs can be bought for the cost of a medal.

True quality and class, in whatever field will always rise to the top. But, it's a lot harder when you're wondering wether you will make it through the day, where your next meal is coming from, or if a drink of water is going to kill you.
Old 11th August 2012, 23:25   #63
BHPian

One more bronze for India in men's 60kg free style wrestling. Yogeshwar dutt wins back to back 3 repechage matches. Those 3 matches were worth watching.

Last edited by _chikku : 11th August 2012 at 23:31.
Old 13th August 2012, 16:29   #64
BHPian

Olympics is over. The question remains.

Read this critical write-up by Nirmal Shekar in Hindu

The Hindu : Columns / Nirmal Shekar : Let us accept the truth
Old 13th August 2012, 17:03   #65
Team-BHP Support

There is no mystery here. We don't win Olympic medals in large numbers because it is not a priority area for us.

To win in Olympics, you need talent, hard work, right training (coaches+facility), funding & finally luck. An individual can provide the first two. The next two depend on sponsors and government and that is severely lacking since nobody cares about Olympics in India except during the Olympics. I mean, before this Olympics how many of us knew Mary Kom is a five-time World Boxing champion, and the only woman boxer to have won a medal in each one of the six world championships? (Wiki source)

And luck... as somebody once said, Luck favours the ones who are prepared.
Old 13th August 2012, 17:46   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post

I completely agree with the author and his views. If other sports get even 10% of the money that is invested in cricket, I can guarantee we will have many more medal winners.
Old 13th August 2012, 17:59   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post

Well, that's what I was trying to say in my post. We Indians are not at all bothered about any other sport. Cricket runs in our vein and anything else is an aberration. There is nothing wrong with that but if the Govt./corporates can spend more money and groom our athletes then we surely can do better. One guy in his response to that article asking why the author is talking about a sportsperson worrying about gas cylinders. Come on, if a sportsperson has to worry about daily chores all the time then how can he/she can concentrate on their training. Normally they would be lagging behind from their competitors in other countries like China or US who probably don't have to worry so much. Although that sportsperson in question has made us proud year after year wining World Championships and again now by wining a Bronze while fighting in a higher weight category. And even her coach was not allowed to be part of the team (I'm not sure why and all but just for info). That's true heroism but would we remember them after a year? Probably we'll say, Mary Kom, who? Oh, the Lady who won a bronze in some international sports. That's how it is in India.

Regarding your previous post which I missed replying (sorry about that), if it was a tournament like IPL running then most of the Indians would've been glued to their seats watching IPL and not Olympics for sure. Recently I was in a restaurant and they were showing Cricket match instead of Olympics (though it was not Bangalore but Hassan). Half of my colleagues are not bothered about what's happening in Olympics but worried about T20 world cup. Sad but true. Even you'll see how the cricket thread will come alive when that thing starts .
Regards,

Last edited by kaushik_s : 13th August 2012 at 18:01.
Old 13th August 2012, 18:48   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Come on, if a sportsperson has to worry about daily chores all the time then how can he/she can concentrate on their training. Normally they would be lagging behind from their competitors in other countries like China or US who probably don't have to worry so much. ,
Reminded me of the movie 300. Goes like this ( wiki)

Daxos: I see I was wrong to expect Sparta's commitment to at least match our own.
Leonidas: Doesn't it? [points to Arcadian soldier behind Daxos] You there, what is your profession?
Potter: I am a potter... sir.
Leonidas: [points to another soldier] And you, Arcadian, what is your profession?
Sculptor: Sculptor, sir.
Leonidas: Sculptor. [turns to a third soldier] You?
Blacksmith: Blacksmith.
Leonidas: [turns back shouting] Spartans! What is your profession?
Spartans: HA-ROO! HA-ROO! HA-ROO!
Leonidas: [turning to Daxos] You see, old friend? I brought more soldiers than you did.

Old 4th December 2012, 23:06   #69
Senior - BHPian

Oh dear.
Look what they gone and done now:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/17481525.cms
Old 4th December 2012, 23:44   #70
Senior - BHPian

I am not surprised.
There is a limit to incompetence and corruption. Indian officials just breached it.
At the end of the day some compromise will be worked out.
But the scum will remain where it is now. Stuck hard and fast.
Old 8th August 2016, 15:43   #71
BHPian

Why don't we have a Olympics thread for Rio 2016
Old 9th August 2016, 10:53   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Why don't we have a Olympics thread for Rio 2016
Maybe, the mods could change the title of this thread so that we could continue the discussion here.

Some of the highlights of Indian performances in Rio so far.

1. India loses to Germany in hockey once again in the final moments. It is amazing how this team manages to just shut off in the last 5 minutes of every match that they play. Even in the game against Ireland, they were ultra-defensive in the last couple of minutes. So much so that the Irish goalkeeper confidently came out and played on the field as an extra striker. This team needs some kind of mental coaching. There is nothing wrong in their skill-sets. They look to be on par with the Australians and Europeans. It is their attitude that needs to be worked on.

2. Men's tennis doubles was a joke. Pity that a player like Paes has fallen prey to petty ego battles in the sunset of his career. What is the point in playing with someone who has openly expressed his dislike for you ? The tennis association itself needs a serious overhaul.

3. Shooters once again fell by the wayside with Bindra being the only saviour of pride. Shooting is a tough game at this level, and a solitary bad shot can take you from 1st place in the standings to somewhere in the 30s. Like the hockey team, the shooters probably too need some mental coaching.

4. Women's archers struggled with the wind and failed to qualify. Can't blame them, as, under windy conditions, it is pretty much a lottery.

5. Dipa Karmakar has done the unthinkable by qualifying in the final of the gymnastics routine. Pity she is still treated as a step-child by our media who gave more coverage to the tennis soap opera than to her. Our sports channels didn't even bother telecasting her performance.

Not really expecting the same haul of medals as London '12. At the moment, the mixed tennis doubles and wrestling seem to be the only medal prospects. Anything else will be a bonus. Pity, that we still have not taken up swimming as a serious sport as that is one discipline that has a smorgasbord of medals.
Old 9th August 2016, 16:33   #73
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_wheel View Post
Maybe, the mods could change the title of this thread so that we could continue the discussion here.

Some of the highlights of Indian performances in Rio so far.

5. Dipa Karmakar has done the unthinkable by qualifying in the final of the gymnastics routine. Pity she is still treated as a step-child by our media who gave more coverage to the tennis soap opera than to her. Our sports channels didn't even bother telecasting her performance.
I read in the newspaper today that she actually risked her life doing the move which took her to the final. That move has only been attempted by four other gymnasts till date, and the landing part is highly risky as there is a very high chance that you'd land hard on your back or neck, which can lead to instant death.

Last week one gymnast attempted it and ended up with a broken leg.
Old 9th August 2016, 17:15   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Olympics 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_wheel View Post
Done!

I watched Abhinav Bindra lose by an agonising 0.2 points after being tied for third in a field of 4. He'd actually fought his way up from 7th position to joint 3rd and had he made just one more great shot, would have been assured of a medal. Tough, very tough. Respect to India's only individual gold medalist.

Gymnast Dipa Karmakar's progress into the finals in vault has been the heartwarming event of this Games for me. How on earth does a girl from Tripura, of humble origins and with no particular access to resources, get to the Top 8 stage in the Olympics? Win or lose, she is already a hero for me. Slap in the face of those smug "sports officials" who flew business class while relegating the athletes to Economy.

India's loss to Germany in men's hockey with 3 seconds on the clock was heartbreaking to watch. Also caught Laxmi Manjhi go down in the round of 32 to a talented Slovakian archer.
Old 9th August 2016, 17:32   #75
Team-BHP Support

Re: Olympics 2016

Speaking of archery, the South Korean women's team are like a bunch of elite snipers. To watch them shoot (near) perfect scores set after set, absolutely amazing!

No wonder they've been Olympic champions of their discipline since team archery became an event.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th August 2016 at 17:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks