Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

My eyes are wet :( I don't drink and drive. I am proud of that.
Old 22nd August 2008, 13:01   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Things can change, but it requires leadership, and I don't see leadership in Indian politicians; just ego.

There used to be a saying in UK. To have one for the road; just one more drink before leaving the pub, or the party, and driving home.

Then came legislation, and cries of loss of liberty, loss of the right to drink and drive, but it was, and is, enforced. You probably won't go to jail, unless you do kill someone, but a ban of one year or more is probable and, ever after, your annual insurance bill is going to be huge.

The social mentality has changed. It is no longer the cry of freedom, and being laughed at by your mates for not drinking if you came by car. Now you will find many, many people who won't even drink the wine at a wedding. People actually realise. And remember, UK has a much bigger alcohol culture than India.

Of course there are still enough idiots to keep the police and the hospitals in work, but the majority attitude has changed over the space of just a few decades.

We can't generalise about 'the west'. I've heard that the French are still keen on their wine and their driving, but many other countries will be more in line with the brits on this --- and on the whole thing about road safety: seat belts, helmets, driving rules.

I think (no good at remembering numbers) that Chennai has more road deaths in a year than whole of UK. Alcohol is just a part of that.

Famously, Gandhi once replied, when asked what he thought of Western civilisation, "It would be a good idea". If he saw the driving on the roads of his India today, I think he might weep.
Old 22nd August 2008, 14:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Ive made one thing clear in my life that,the day i have the steering wheel or my bike handle in front of me I dont drink,no matter if someone forces me till his voice,my answer is simple "NO" I dont want to waste my life as well as risking anyone else's life,or giving pains to my family by causing any problems.If i cant give my parents happiness then i dont want to give pains either.

This has taught be a lesson,and now my drinking has reduced upto 90% of what i used to drink a year back.

Please "Don't Drink and Drive" love yourself and your family.
Old 6th September 2008, 03:29   #19
BHPian

Hey satish! how u doin buddy? long time!

thats a real good one! really touch!
Old 6th September 2008, 09:15   #20
BHPian

Hi!

It is not JUST drinking & driving. One may be perfectly sober & yet get killed while driving late at night. The world will not change...one must be a defensive driver so that one does not become a statistic!
Old 6th September 2008, 09:37   #21
BHPian

Recently, a friend of mine got pulled over for drunk driving. He was asked to pay a fine of Rs.1000. He did not have the cash. So the cops gave him 2 options:

1. Leave the car here and a take an auto; come to the PS tomorrow, pay the fine and collect the car

2. Leave the original documents here; drive down- yes DRIVE DOWN- to the nearest ATM, draw cash, come back, pay the fine and take your docs.

Obvoiusly my friend chose the 2nd option. Is this really about drunk driving, or collecting fine? The police are indirectly saying, pay the fine and you can drive, doesn't matter if you are drunk.

The only way this will change is a realisation from within. Each person has to vow not to drink and drive. Nothing else is possible.

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 30th December 2011, 23:10   #22
BHPian

Why am I the one to die? : DON'T drink & drive

Hi Guys,

There will be a lots of festivities and fun on the New Year's eve... so just wanted to share this with everyone..

Don't drink & drive-dont-drink-n-drive1.jpg
Don't drink & drive-dont-drink-n-drive2.jpg

Wishing everyone a weekend full of festivities and a Happy New Year.

Be responsible. Be safe... Don't Drink & Drive!
vikash49 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 00:57   #23
BHPian

re: Why am I the one to die? : DON'T drink & drive

I don't drink, but will spread the message anyway. Thank you for this.

It's almost like a norm that every body drinks like a fish first and then drives back home.

People just need a reason to drink and New Year parties top it all. Yesterday morning, I spotted five guys in a Honda merrily drinking beers or whatever on my to Mussorie from Dehradoon.

Simply disgusting was to see that driver couldn't control his own body actions so how would he control that of the cars!!! After 15-20 minutes of partying he decided to drive further up on the hills. He almost crashed on to a biker but before that the car luckily stalled. He then nearly rear-ended a parked Swift but somehow managed not too...

My brother thought it'd be a good idea to give them a lesson by a soft verbal bashing and ask the driver to not to drive further. I stopped him before he moved thinking he'd be shot at by the drinkers! I mean, who knows, people are so edgy these days.

There's nothing else you can do but to pray the lord for other road users' safety.

Last edited by Shivank : 31st December 2011 at 01:04.
Old 31st December 2011, 08:49   #24
SDP
Team-BHP Support

The probability of getting hurt for no fault of yours is quite high on new year eve.

After being blessed with kids, we are never out of home/hotel after 8-8:30PM on any 31st Dec.

The general plan is to have a early dinner at a hotel (start before 8pm, finish before 8:30pm) and come home or to the hotel room before the madness begins.

If because of some constraints, if early dining-out is not possible, then we just order food at home.

The stakes are just too high for risking for a single night-out of fun.
Old 31st December 2011, 12:20   #25
BHPian

If you were still wondering if you should take your vehicle while partying out tonight, THIS should serve to clear your doubts.

Hire a chauffeur or hail a cab. Do whatever you must but don't drink and drive!
Old 31st December 2011, 22:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why am I the one to die? : DON'T drink & drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The probability of getting hurt for no fault of yours is quite high on new year eve.

After being blessed with kids, we are never out of home/hotel after 8-8:30PM on any 31st Dec.

The general plan is to have a early dinner at a hotel (start before 8pm, finish before 8:30pm) and come home or to the hotel room before the madness begins.

If because of some constraints, if early dining-out is not possible, then we just order food at home.

The stakes are just too high for risking for a single night-out of fun.
100% to this. Couldn't have said it better.

If you go parting, irrespective of you drinking or not drinking, stay put at one place. I declined an invite from my friend today as I had to get back home and I didn't want to be on the road after 10pm.
sachinj12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 23:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

So on the eve of the new year 2012 take a new year resolution not to mix your drive with drink ever. Drive safe, obey traffic rules.
Old 1st January 2012, 13:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
If you go parting, irrespective of you drinking or not drinking, stay put at one place. I declined an invite from my friend today as I had to get back home and I didn't want to be on the road after 10pm.
That is the best thing to do man! Yesterday I was in at Bhavan's college, Andheri for a get together. After dinner and dancing (No drinks) some people in the group wanted to go to Bandstand for a drive. I was against it as I already know driving on 31st night is a big pain but had to go as everyone else wanted to go. My fears were proved correct when we reached Hill road, Bandra. Streets were filled with drunken idiots who were creating a ruckus on the road. People were doing all kinds of stunts on their bikes, drunkards were shouting at each and every car, shouting at girls who were walking out of a pub on hill road. The entire scene was very sad. I do not understand what is the logic in enjoying like this? I think it is better to stay at home on New Year’s Eve – Just order food at home and enjoy a movie or so. People behave as if 31st is such a special day which gives them the license to enjoy like idiots. I have no problems against drinking – If you want to drink please do it at your home or drink responsibly outside. But drinking above your capacity and behaving like rowdies on road is not acceptable.
Old 1st January 2012, 14:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

This letter made the rounds as chain mail some years back, apparently sponsored by MADD (Mothers against Drunk Driving), though MADD said they never sponsored any chain mail, or this piece.
Old 1st January 2012, 15:06   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Goodness knows where the poem originates*; it's been around for quite a while.

Chennai's East Coast Road is Party Street on 31st December, and there are usually deaths. I came home after 10.00pm, and took tiny back streets to avoid it completely. I usually avoid this in the late night, because it is almost literally driving through people's living spaces. If some of those people happen to be partying, then a different kind of problem is possible. Met nothing worse than some Whooping bikers. Whether they are safer there, where kids may stray from a front door, or out on the main roads, I wouldn't like to say.

*Goodness may not know, but Google probably does!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks