Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How are you handling compliance on the new garbage segregation rules?
I will separate at source and comply with BBMP directive. 21 77.78%
I live in an Apartment and my association needs to deal with this. 3 11.11%
I dont know how to handle it because Im not sure how BBMP themselves are handling it. 4 14.81%
I will continue as I do now. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2012, 12:28   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Garbage and Waste Segregation - the new reality

Hi Guys!

Come October 1st 2012 and we have a new reality with us - segregate waste responsibly!

Just thought I would start off a thread on this excellent new initiative of our Bangalore BBMP, in asking the public to segregate their waste at source.

We live in an independent house so I think it is certainly my responsibility to do my bit for this initiative.

I have therefore gone and procured a couple of excellent large sized industrial plastic drums.
1. The daily wet waste generated will be handed over to the collector as per schedule.
2. The dry stuff and general household debris will be placed in one of the drums for collection each week.
3. Hazardous waste like batteries etc will be kept aside, stored at home and given off as and when.
4. Recyclable stuff like plastic and glass bottles, newspapers, cardboard packaging materials etc etc will be handled separately, collected in a drum and mostly given off to the maid for re-selling.

While we all certainly can and should make a start in doing this, I wonder what plans and infrastructure is available at BBMP and other local authority for handling such segregation.

Any ideas? Lets start a discussion on this.

Cheers.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th September 2012 at 12:34.
Old 30th September 2012, 12:45   #2
BHPian

Re: Garbage and Waste Segregation - the new reality

Well no choice but to follow the directive for environment purpose. Indeed a good begining.
However there are options for handling wet waste - composting is alternative. see link
http://www.dailydump.org/all-products
Old 30th September 2012, 12:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

IIRC a similar initiative was launched some time back by MCD in Delhi. They had placed different bins at various points for different kinds of waste . But within some time,it was back to square one. People were plain lazy to do their part. If it clicks off its really wonderful and hope gets replicated across the nation.
Its a second nature for me to segregate waste while sailing. The habit stays for some days once I m back on land. But in a few days I too am back to square one. Hope this works out and gets replicated everywhere.
Old 30th September 2012, 12:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have no issues separating at source as chosen in my vote, but it remains to be seen as to how the authorities will convince people to do that successfully. I asked the garbage collector in my apartment block as to what they are doing, he says everyone is just giving him one bag with mixed garbage and they are expected to sort it out before disposing.
Old 30th September 2012, 13:57   #5
BHPian

I would say its a good start, that atleast now they are starting of with segregation at source. In our RWA we have worked hard on atleast segregating plastic and other garbage and have ensured the plastic stuff end up at the right place-the recyclers. Though this has been on for few years now, lately I am noticing a big reduction in the plastic garbage compartment. I am sincerely hoping its a reduction in plastic usage and not mixing up of garbage. I personally believe reduction is the first step in Ecofriendly way of life.

Like Vibbs said, it is second nature for Sailors like us to segregate everytime you dump something into a bin. Though it had to do with stringent legislation, but also feel it is also the facilitation that has helped. Every room or public space has 2-3 color-coded bins, which ensures even in a drunk state you don't mix it up!!
Old 30th September 2012, 14:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to play the spoil sport here, Chennai already has this system in place(let me find the official link for you soon, give me some time!), but, as you all know, without the support of the general public, this system, like every other, has failed miserably.

I happened to speak to my area counsellor, when I went to him to register a complaint about the garbage disposal in my street, he informed me casually that they are trying their best to keep the area clean, but people just don't seem to care. I have seen that everyday personally. The moment the sweeper trucks and the waste removal trucks empty the bin and the area around it, people just start throwing waste around and not in the dust bin meant for it!

They have been using public addressal systems and distributing pamplets on a door to door basis to educate the public, but, only in vain.

He was also, cribbing that public treat the waste management people like third grades, and don't even offer a glass of water to those poor souls.

I know we BHPians are very good citizens, but still a humble request to all.
My sincere request to all BHPians, its not only our cars which we love and live, but, its even our society! So, please make sure you throw your waste in the bin, segregate them and be friendly with the garbage removal people. Remember: They clean our waste! Afterall they are humans too.

Edit: In Europe,(Germany) it is mandatory for the general public to dispose the waste, already segregated! And its not the job of the waste removal guys to do it! If not adhered, the quarterly house/water/waste taxes will sky rocket for that particular house! Thats the fine one has to pay!

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 30th September 2012 at 14:24.
Old 1st October 2012, 10:38   #7
BHPian

I would happily comply if it was all black and white. My RWA hasn't set up any way to collect wet waste seperately.

Though I intend to follow up and push for this, there are huge gray areas. where do i throw the aluminium containers that my food came packaged in. Ideally i should wash/dry and put it in recyclable bin. I doubt many will be willing to do that. Same for, lets say, that ketchup bottle or plastic sachet ones.

If I recall correctly, one simple mistake of someone throwing some oily/greasy/food stuff into recycleable bin, and the entire batch should be thrown away. Or have lots of manual help in individually washing the whole batch. In todays world, recycling is not as economical to employ all the people to wash the recycleables. And I doubt the purakarmikas care enough about environment to make sure the recycleables are kept clean.
Old 1st October 2012, 11:02   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't live in Bangalore anymore but my apartment in Pune is already following this practice, possibly prompted by PMC's initiatives. So we do already give segregated wet and dry garbage at source.
Old 4th October 2012, 16:41   #9
BHPian

Main problem is the poornamika is not pro active. She doesnt maintain proper timings. And doesnt even announce while collecting garbage.

I think they should have just started it off simple, then introduced more segregations. Not that I have a problem.
Old 4th October 2012, 21:17   #10
BHPian

I've voted for option 1.

I was actually happy seeing how positively my parents reacted to this step, when many of the elders in the neighborhood kept complaining. Seriously, how hard is it to segregate.

We got another bin for the dry waste. Only the wet waste is collected daily. The dry waste goes into the main bin for the entire apartment, which is then collected at the end of the week. Frankly, I'm happy with this initiative. But the question arises, Is it enough?

What steps are being taken by the BBMP to dispose of the wet waste that is collected? Where is it being dumped? Is any recycling being done or composting etc? Segregation is the first step, but a single step isn't enough. Or is it just another way of taxing erring citizens?

Whatever it is, I'd be happy if segregation at source is strictly enforced for years to come and not just for a few days or months.
Old 4th October 2012, 23:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
I've voted for option 1.

---

What steps are being taken by the BBMP to dispose of the wet waste that is collected? Where is it being dumped? Is any recycling being done or composting etc? Segregation is the first step, but a single step isn't enough. ---.
I remember reading that BBMP is going to/ giving the wet waste to farmers, so that they can compost it and use in their fields. They apparently plan to pay Rs. 60/ tonne to the farmers.

not sure how they dispose the medical waste. They claim scientific disposal.

And the dry waste, I guess will find their way to the landfills. They could probably look at recycling some of the stuff. I have been to a landfill and have seen an entire community searching the waste for recyclable stuff and spending their lives near the landfills.

I stay in North Bangalore and the garbage collectors have been pretty firm in not accepting unsegregated garbage. Indeed a refreshing move forward.

cheers
Old 5th October 2012, 11:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Garbage collection in Bangalore (at least in RR Nagar) has been and will still be erratic in the coming days. We in our apartment, have been segregating garbage ever since the BBMP directive came up. But till date the pourakarmika has not turned up to collect it and they are supposed to collect wet waste daily. I am not sure how this works.

Other apartment residents, what are you guys doing for the composting unit which we have to install in our apartments?
Old 5th October 2012, 12:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
not sure how they dispose the medical waste. They claim scientific disposal.
cheers
Medical waste disposal is one big scam that happens in the country. Hospitals/Nursing homes are charged a bomb for disposing medical waste, but most often than not medical waste is dumped in land fills.
Ideally needles/syringes need to be incinerated if I am not wrong.

I live in HSR in blore. The BBMP collectors, alteast from appartments are not enforcing segregation. There is a big confusion as apartment complexes have been identified as bulk generators and need to manage waste on their own, even though the garbage cess is paid. The state government has a composting unit in Somsundarpalya. A couple of apartment complexes want to send their wet waste directly to them.
Old 5th October 2012, 12:13   #14
BHPian

Well a long awaited initiative waiting to be debated. Honestly BBMP is blaming the contractors who are holding them to ransom and also in today's TOI it is a good read on this topic. In my opinion this was a time bomb waiting to explode!

We in this country are extremely reactive and lack the foresight of issues such as this and plan well in advance. BBMP is also to be blamed for nurturing these contractors all these years (you need 2 hands to clap).

I am sure people with little preaching can start segregating however will BBMP be prepared to handle it from there on? Will the contractors again not initiate something new, time will tell...
Old 5th October 2012, 12:17   #15
BHPian

An excellent initiative and I voted for 1. As a responsible citizen, charity begins at home and the onus is one each one of us to support the vision.

"Wah beta! Well said", a pat on my own back.

Step out of the house, and a drive/ride past Koramangala 6th Block/Ejipura, and then my face looks almost like this....

What's the point segregating all this at source? They all go to the same destination, get mixed and mashed. And voila the corner is just another stinkbed I really would want to pass off like a bad dream.

Has the BBMP clearly laid out as to what their process will be to support the vision? I think NOT.

Nevertheless, I continue to do my part as I always have but end up being heart-broken that the rule maker themselves have no clue about the rule.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks