Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How are you handling compliance on the new garbage segregation rules?
I will separate at source and comply with BBMP directive. 21 77.78%
I live in an Apartment and my association needs to deal with this. 3 11.11%
I dont know how to handle it because Im not sure how BBMP themselves are handling it. 4 14.81%
I will continue as I do now. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2012, 12:21   #16
BHPian

Re: Garbage and Waste Segregation - the new reality

It looks like a nice plan on paper. But falls face first in execution. My society has provided separate bins for wet and dry waste, but residents continue to put mixed waste in poly bags even after signing the notice. And the contractors are still accepting the mixed garbage. I am doing my bit, but it frustrates me to see other "educated" people being deliberately ignorant.

Few reasons I could think, for this mess :
- lack of proper training to pourkarmikas
- lack of support from contractors as well, as their commission goes down, if garbage tonnage to be moved is reduced
- lack of awareness among residents
- lack of willingness to make a difference, among all. Total apathy.
Old 29th April 2015, 14:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

The process has started. One day we will hit where Sweden is today.
Sweden Runs Out Of Garbage: Only 1% Ends Up In Landfills
Quote:
Something incredible has been taking place in Sweden over the past several years, somewhat of a “recycling revolution,” if you will. Currently less than one percent of the garbage produced in Swedish homes ends up in the landfill today, with the other ninety-nine percent being recycled or composted.
Old 9th September 2016, 18:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, msdivy, I may have to disagree with you. And, hopefully, this article, which appeared some time last week in Financial Express, is a wake up call.....

Garbage.pdf

Bhpian mempheS.D has hit the nail on the head when he wrote that "the rule makers have no clue about the rules".

But the saddest part is that many educated / literate people, who can understand these implications, don't care a hoot about littering in public places, asking for plastic bags while shopping (it isn't difficult at all to carry a couple in your car / bike while going out) etc. PLASTIC WASTE IS REPORTED TO THE GROWING AT 2.5 TIMES OF GDP!!!

In fact, one of the popular items which is bought by people is the black bags used to line the garbage bins - at least unused shopping bags can be used for lining the bins, and can be changed when it starts to smell, rather than using a new one daily?

Besides, with shopping shifting towards 'super markets', almost every other item is packed in some kind of plastic wrapping, which ends up in the waste / litter..... are we going to leave earth a better place for our children or turn (our cities) into a stinking mess??

Last edited by vrprabhu : 9th September 2016 at 18:34. Reason: Left out a comment...
Old 9th September 2016, 19:44   #19
BHPian

Just saw this thread. Wish to thank shankar.balan for starting it - even though its 4 years old.
I live in an apartment in Bangalore. My family has been segregating waste since October-2012 and its been a wonderful journey and an eye-opener so far. We not only segregate our waste, we also compost our entire wet waste for use in our apartment garden. So far, we have been able to plant and nourish - 8 mango saplings, 2 jamun saplings, 1 neem sapling and 2 banana saplings. These have now grown into mini-trees which is very heartening to see. All these from the compost generated by (only) 1 family over 4 years. Makes me wonder what an entire apartment complex or a locality can achieve if they compost their entire wet waste!
Unfortunately, despite my and my wife's best attempts we have not been able to convince our apartment management or neighbors to compost.

Forget composting, most people in our apartment do not even segregate their waste

If any BHPians are interested in composting their wet waste, but wish to know more about it, they can PM me. I'll be more than happy to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hi Guys!

Come October 1st 2012 and we have a new reality with us - segregate waste responsibly!
While we all certainly can and should make a start in doing this, I wonder what plans and infrastructure is available at BBMP and other local authority for handling such segregation.

Any ideas? Lets start a discussion on this.

Cheers.
Old 10th September 2016, 19:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

We have been segregating our garbage since the early 2000s or so when a flyer were circulated by our area citizens group. In our society almost everyone started to do this including the few who complained until it was directed that their garbage would not be collected if it isnt segregated. Unfortunately the new society cleaner doesnt always put them in separate bins and even worse the BMC garbage guys just dump it all together in a single truck !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks