Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2012, 23:38   #1
BHPian

Counter guy at Cafe Coffee Day tries to cheat me

Today evening I was out with my family for coffee. We went to a nearby CCD, ordered 3 coffees, one cold coffee, and a couple of snacks. The guy at the counter told me that the bill comes to Rs.615. I handed him 620, and citing lack of change, he gave me a packet of Orbit chewing gum pellets worth Rs.5.

It took around 30 mins for the order to arrive, and we were pretty disappointed with the service, but that is not the main point of concern here. After we finished eating and drinking, I returned to the counter and asked the guy for a bill.

He said that he's thrown away the bill in the bin. I asked him to show me the same, or print a duplicate from his machine. He went to the bin, fished out lots of stuff, and came back with a crumpled bill. The amount on it said Rs.368. I noticed that it did not have two of the items that we had ordered. I asked him about it, and he made a sheepish face. He said that he hadn't billed the two remaining items. He started entering the details for those two items, produced a 2nd bill, and handed it to me along with a calculator. The 2nd bill said Rs.225. He wasn't looking at me when he did this. I figured later that he wasn't able to meet my eye.

I added the two amounts and they totaled up to Rs.593. I showed him the calculator and in a very stern voice asked him how come he charged me Rs.615. He was lost for words, with a sorry expression on his face. He handed Rs.20 back to me. I was pretty angry, but didn't know what to say. I didn't want to create a scene there. I just took the money and left.

I realized that it wasn't only the Rs.20 that he was pocketing. He hadn't made a bill for 2 items, amounting to Rs.225. This means that he was actually pocketing close to Rs.250. Going by the ease with which he was pulling it off, it makes me think that this is a regular practice for him.

Now my question is, what should I do about this whole issue? On first thought, probably the best solution would be to send a mail to CCD quoting this incident. I remember the name of the guy, and could mention the same in the mail. At least they would be made aware of the issue that is present in one of their outlets, and I hope they would take some action.

However, it struck me almost at the same time that maybe the guy isn't paid very well. Also, I have no idea what kind of background he hails from. It is quite possible that his family is dependent on him for financial resources.

This still doesn't justify this kind of stealing. But the thought just keeps nagging me that because of my complaint, CCD might take some stern action against the guy, or worse, fire him, and his family might suffer. I know I would feel extremely disturbed and bothered for a long time. This makes me feel that maybe I should just let it go. Then again, I cannot stand such stealing and malpractice happening in front of my eyes.

Hence my kind request to all members. In my position, what would you have done? I am just not able to decide what I should do about this. Hope you all understand my mental dilemma, and try and help me out a bit.

Thanks.

EDIT. Right after coming out of CCD, when this conflict was on in my mind, the first thing that struck me was that the best way to get an answer is to ask TBHP. Probably just goes on to show how attached I have become to this forum.

Last edited by swarnava.m : 29th November 2012 at 00:02.
Old 28th November 2012, 23:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Counter guy at Cafe Coffee Day tries to cheat me

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
However, it struck me almost at the same time that maybe the guy isn't paid very well. Also, I have no idea what kind of background he hails from. It is quite possible that his family is dependent on him for financial resources.

This still doesn't justify this kind of stealing. But the thought just keeps nagging me that because of my complaint, CCD might take some stern action against the guy, or worse, fire him, and his family might suffer. I know I would feel extremely disturbed and bothered for a long time. This makes me feel that maybe I should just let it go. Then again, I cannot stand such stealing and malpractice happening in front of my eyes.
I have to feed a family too, but I don't go stealing from my employer. Will you have the same argument if he murdered or raped?

This is how it starts, better to nip it in the bud. Complain with complete details please.
Old 28th November 2012, 23:49   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I have to feed a family too, but I don't go stealing from my employer. Will you have the same argument if he murdered or raped?

This is how it starts, better to nip it in the bud. Complain with complete details please.
Completely agree with what you are saying. I am in no way trying to justify his actions. Even though I know what he did is downright wrong, it's just that I know I can't help feeling sorry for him.

Ya but maybe you are right, I will forward a complain. He needs to be taught a lesson.
Old 28th November 2012, 23:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

In case it helps, punishments are designed to serve 4 main purposes.

1. Reform the criminal.
2. protect the society (so he can not harm more people)
3. deter others from doing the same(by example). I think this is most important, and this is why punishments are so different in different parts of the world. different people need different level of deterrents. Saudis have their own form.
4. retribution (basically revenge).

I am pretty sure this will serve 1 2 and 3. 4 is a small cause here.
Old 28th November 2012, 23:59   #5
BHPian

Hi swarnava

I agree with Vivek on this. I do retail audit for a living and have come across many such cases where low paid employees look at avenues to bolster their take home by dipping their hand into the till. It usually starts with small amounts and slowly emboldened by the fact that nobody has caught them, the takings and the greed grow bigger. This practice is best nipped in the bud with stern action. In your case it would be correct to tip off the higher ups at ccd about the goings on.
Old 29th November 2012, 00:34   #6
BHPian

It happens a lot with CCD guys, there must be a number mentioned on the counter, it is to complain in case you don't get your bill. You can always call that number.

These guys are so shameless that they openly offered me to not to get the bill for coffee we have ordered and in return we just need to pay 60% of the amount. They will always give you the bill for snacks as they have to record the quantity they have received but in case of coffee its opposite.
Old 29th November 2012, 00:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sir this is a very old thing with ccd and now also with costa coffee. Just 2 weeks ago I encountered the same issue. I asked for the bill (after the food was served) and I got 2 bills. The amounts tallied but only one bill showed as card payment and the other bill for cash whereas we had paid by card. Called the manager and asked the reason since there was also a time gap in the billing time on both bills. He gave some stupid reason which i didn't take and told him openly that this amounts to fraud and its a serious offense and that his job could be lost. I told him politely that I have seen this before at ccd and he should not be thinking of customers and just employers as fools. Since it was the first time, I am letting him go.

The look on his face was worth it. He was shocked and frightened and the entire staff was anxiously watching the entire thing. I think the entire team was in cahoots.
Old 29th November 2012, 02:40   #8
BHPian

One way to counter these sort of things is to always pay by card. First, this is convenient because you don't have change problems. Second, it helps to check these kind of malpractices.

I am not sure about this, but I also believe that doing card transactions also help keep the money "white" - what I mean to say is that the shop keeper is also forced to pay all the right taxes and cannot play around with the books and cheat the government.
Old 29th November 2012, 04:46   #9
Mik
BHPian

The "poor guy" argument simply doesn't work. This is a basic question of ethics and integrity. Considering that he wanted to rip off almost half the amount from you, think about the kind of loss he must be creating for his employer.
From first hand knowledge from a cafe owner, i know that many coffee shop employees are looking out for opportunities to loot the employer. Most of these guys are just trying to make a quick buck and making coffee is not a career for them.
Old 29th November 2012, 06:36   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m
Now my question is, what should I do about this whole issue? On first thought, probably the best solution would be to send a mail to CCD quoting this incident. I remember the name of the guy, and could mention the same in the mail. At least they would be made aware of the issue that is present in one of their outlets, and I hope they would take some action.
p

EDIT. Right after coming out of CCD, when this conflict was on in my mind, the first thing that struck me was that the best way to get an answer is to ask TBHP. Probably just goes on to show how attached I have become to this forum.
No harm being kind. Its a good thing to be empathetic and sympathetic. However,on no account should you condone rank dishonesty such as what you have described.
I would suggest you send an email straight away to Cafe Coffee Day.
I know some people there and would be happy to bring this to their attention if you wish.
Cheers.
Old 29th November 2012, 07:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

One simple way to avoid this in the future is to insist on the bill at the time you make the payment itself.
Old 29th November 2012, 08:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

When I look at it from the retailers point of view, this is a loss for them. This unreported sales may have been happening for a long time now. What if due to this fraud, a usually well frequented cafe turns out to become a loss making one in their books and they are forced to shut down that cafe? The other guys working in that cafe will lose their jobs or be moved to other outlets for no fault of their own.

When I used to work in a bank earlier, their policy was simple. "If not nipped in the bud, a small fraud today will become a big fraud tomorrow". Any small case of dishonesty or fraud meant a termination instantly.

All the cases of the famous US Indian hedgefund MD being punished, Enron, Barings and any financial institution fraud under the earth are all cases of small frauds not being caught in time which further emboldened them to go on to larger frauds.

The right thing I would do is to report this incident. The guy needs to be taught a lesson. Low income is no excuse for dishonest means. Lack of values should not be allowed to go scott free.

With the competition in retail, there are adequate jobs available for him elsewhere if he has still not learnt from this incident.

Last edited by hrman : 29th November 2012 at 08:16. Reason: Added quotes
Old 29th November 2012, 08:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

lol - this ideally is quite a common thing nowdays - just that you don't expect a franchise chain like CCD to experience this. Just send them a mail with the details and and it is in their interests to stop this practice (if it is occurring more frequently)

Btw OT point - soon we will start getting threads by bhpians - Damn - I am standing out XYZ station. My purse just got pick pocketed. What should I do next? Bhpians please advise!

(p.s. All in jest!)
Old 29th November 2012, 09:07   #14
BHPian

Keep this in mind: Look at the total on the register - it should read "Total: XXXX". Without the words "Total" he might as well have just typed in the numbers without registering them in. And ask for bill, always.
Old 29th November 2012, 09:17   #15
BHPian

I have a CCD outlet in my office cafeteria. There was a big board put up there that if you did not get a bill, please call up a number and they will reward you. So I think CCD Team has realized this problem and they seem to taking action about this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks