Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2015, 11:30   #931
Senior - BHPian

re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide, 4 others hanged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Meanwhile, 2 lynchings have taken the lives of 2 men, one of them declared innocent of the accused crime.
Looks like cows are much safer than men in this country. I suppose this irrational mob mentality is why the government wanted to ban the film - no, that can't be, the government doesn't care about men anyway.
HUSH!
Lest your words are construed as being supporter of rapists!
You know how in today's scenario it is a parliamentary blunder to oppose those who are voicing/acting against rapists. No matter how irrational their words or actions may be!

On the other hand, I would come back to the "fear or law" concept.
Someone here (Gansan)wrote about writing anything against judges or court can be construed as "contempt of court" - all right, but then what actions will be taken in such case? And by when???
Who cares? You just need to be involved in a court case in this great republic of India to realize the absolute futility of having police and courts.
It is nothing but a window dressing ...

Perhaps people realize this subconsciously, and therefore lynch mob incidents.

Meanwhile, I am not sure if anyone has posted about this: http://www.americanbazaaronline.com/...h-an-iron-rod/

Last edited by alpha1 : 16th March 2015 at 11:35.
Old 16th March 2015, 13:15   #932
Team-BHP Support

As this debate rages on anew, I'm beginning to wonder about the whole thing from a different perspective.

It's no secret that all issues everywhere have an expiry date, esp. in India where we have so many competing for the nation's attention.

All the over-the-top "we won't forget" exhortations notwithstanding, 'Nirbhaya' was becoming a rallying cry like most others, slowly forgotten after the initial indignation and posturing had died down. From that perspective, this documentary couldn't have come at a worse time for people (the govt. included) who just wanted to 'move on' from this sorry episode instead of facing up to the ever-present-and-getting-worse situation on our hands. The govt.was all too happy to move on to other petty bickering (as only govts. know how to), while letting the issue die its own natural death or hibernate its way out of our collective social consciousness. The media with its 'next sensation please' approach doesn't help either, while the issue itself has become an accepted footnote in the whole social conscience of "this won't change in my lifetime anyway so let me take offense at perceived insults instead of trying to change anything". More than TWO years after the incident, are women in India any safer? If that wasn't enough to shake us out of our nonchalance and unwillingness to do anything, will ANYTHING be?

Shameful on all accounts, and I'm part of this society so part of the problem by association.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
.......lynch mob incidents.......
Shameful & horrible in a supposedly civilized democracy, but it points at the abject failure of our justice system, as you commented earlier.

Quote:
Meanwhile, I am not sure if anyone has posted about this: http://www.americanbazaaronline.com/...h-an-iron-rod/
This was reported a few days ago, and the accused apparently has no justification other than saying "I felt like doing it"

In other news, a septuagenarian NUN has also been raped at a convent school near Kolkata a few days ago. What kind of 'humans' are we living amongst?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th March 2015 at 13:28.
Old 16th March 2015, 15:17   #933
RSR
Senior - BHPian

At risk of being grossly misunderstood here, I think the disgusting lynch mob incidents are a reflection of the same sick, twisted mentality.

There were four different reported recent incidents, I think, where murderous mobs brutally beat a man to death. Their crimes? They were accused of or suspected of being rapists, or even misbehaving with women. It did not matter if they were actually guilty of the the crimes they were accused of, or were innocent, or were being framed. The murderous mobs just had to kill them in a sadistic manner to satisfy their bloodlust.

To me, it's an indication that tinkering with the laws is going to be a futile step in preventing or even discouraging incidents of violent rapes. When there is absolutely no respect for the law or the justice system or the concept of due process and fair trial, changing the laws would be as futile as throwing a few buckets of water on a raging forest fire.

I guess I may shock quite a few by mentioning this, but bringing in harsh, one-sided laws may actually make things worse by creating new, unwanted problems while doing absolutely nothing to solve existing ones. There is already an example of this. And it's called 498A. It was aimed at curbing a big menace, but it has managed to do absolutely nothing of the sort, and has only created many more new victims than helping those victims it was meant to protect.

Moving on to the new cases of the 6-year old girl CHILD and the 72-year old NUN who were brutalised by demonically possessed vermin, I think these are a tight slap on the faces of those who utter rubbish like girls and women "are responsible for rapes by dressing and behaving like they do" or that they "brought it upon themselves" etc.

Good Lord, what a satanically possessed hellhole this country has become! Is there any hope at all?
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 15:52   #934
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
..........it's an indication that tinkering with the laws is going to be a futile step in preventing or even discouraging incidents of...........
While this is an extremely disturbing opinion (no fault of yours, to clarify myself), you are definitely not alone in thinking so.

While none of us can argue that our law & order system is sorely lacking both in preventing and punishing crime, it can also be argued that we seemingly lack the basic 'intent' to get better as a society. I'm not pointing to the relative minority that accepts there is an issue (e.g. the forum here) and wants to address it, I'm rather referring to the myriad of population outside that thinks (and acts) like it's acceptable (even preferable) to subjugate women, OK to hurt children, hand out vigilante mob justice without due process and such acts.

Until we as a society accept/condone any of these practices, no LAW is going to make a difference. We'll get better only when we intend to get better and the vast majority around me seems only too happy to maintain status quo. I'm not a father yet and I honestly dread bringing another child into this horrifying mess, much more so since I'd prefer a daughter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
.......This is no country for men.......
That's the inevitable fallout of trying to fix a social ill via well-intentioned but badly implemented legislation, where neither side benefits and both claim to be (and probably are) victimized.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th March 2015 at 16:08.
Old 16th March 2015, 16:00   #935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
the government doesn't care about men anyway.
I have 2 young sons, and I keep getting worried about their safety as they grow up. Probably it will be better for them not to remain in this country in the future - settle and marry in the US or Europe given the anti-men laws in this country.

Fake and false cases against men have become extremely common these days, used to extort money. A false case can ruin the life and career of the accused, while the accuser goes free.

I don't expect the laws to change anytime soon. This is no country for men.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 16:05   #936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is no country for men.
Correction: This is no country for DECENT MEN.

If one doesn't fit the definition of DECENT, then India is pretty much the place to be. You can get away with almost everything, especially when you are still a Juvenile!
Old 16th March 2015, 16:19   #937
BANNED

Some more facts on the documentary

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/1...the-facts.html
Old 25th August 2015, 21:36   #938
BHPian

People - any updates on the hanging sentence? It has been quite a while and there seems to be no news of this. Looks like the accused will spend their lifetime in jail and wither away naturally while this case file would be buried under heaps of dust and cobwebs by the time justice arrives.
Old 20th March 2020, 13:02   #939
BHPian

Finally this chapter seems to have some closure today link.

But the most brutal of that 'monster team' was the one who escaped with little punishment, being passed off as minor. There should be some lifelong restrictions on such a fellow so as to remind him the brutality he is associated with.
fordday is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 14:19   #940
AZT
BHPian

Re: The Delhi Bus Rape Case. UPDATE: Ram Singh Suicide, 4 others hanged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
But the most brutal of that 'monster team' was the one who escaped with little punishment, being passed off as minor. There should be some lifelong restrictions on such a fellow so as to remind him the brutality he is associated with.
Yes this was a brutal crime but we cannot make a general statement based on one or a few case. Minors or Juveniles should not be tried as elders. We need a registered sex offenders directory like they have in the US but as far as the law goes Kids below 18 should be treated as juveniles be it murder or any other crime.

Quote:
Fake and false cases against men have become extremely common these days, used to extort money.
This is because the outliers get blown out of proportion and we are led to believe such cases are more common than they actually are. This is not only true for this but in general a lot of propaganda out there - what is generally an abnormality gets mistaken for what is normal and sensationalist reporting blows this out of proportion. As someone who used to be a part of these Mens Rights Activist / Self improvement / Attraction forums, I have seen this first hand.

Your children have nothing to fear, our country has many problems ( eg hate speech, propaganda news etc) but what you mentioned is not one of them.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 15:10   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Finally this chapter seems to have some closure today link.

He got a sewing machine from Delhi state government post being let off. He must be enjoying life post being let off. What a sham our judiciary is?
Old 20th March 2020, 15:31   #942
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
He got a sewing machine from Delhi state government post being let off.
This is as per the Juvenile Justice Act of 2000. State Govt doesn't really have much of a choice - it that lays down rules and stresses upon the “care and protection” of the child offender and their rehabilitation irrespective of the nature of crime committed.
Old 20th March 2020, 15:48   #943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
This is as per the Juvenile Justice Act of 2000. State Govt doesn't really have much of a choice - it that lays down rules and stresses upon the “care and protection” of the child offender and their rehabilitation irrespective of the nature of crime committed.

If he was old enough to rape, he cant be juvenile. Our laws are flawed here, sadly.
Equus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 15:50   #944
Team-BHP Support

Let's not rake up the same arguments after 8 years about the one who got away.

Closing thread. - Support Team.
Samurai is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks