Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2013, 11:05   #16
M35
BHPian

Re: How to End Violence Against Women?

http://world.time.com/2013/03/11/ano...d=gs-main-lead

Not intended.But will take it.

Last edited by M35 : 12th March 2013 at 11:06.
Old 12th March 2013, 17:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I think we need to prevent rapes from happening. Not talk about police and judiciary who come in later. There is a bigger issue of our country's perception about girls (devalue) and how we treat them starting from when they are in the womb.
Even in places with stringent punishment and honest policing and justice, crimes happen (is rape just a crime?). Are we trying to reduce the numbers and fell good about it?
I completely agree with you. The basic issue is about the typical Indian mentality that females are inferior to males. So I think the change has to start straight from our homes. The so-called "Indian-culture" is to blame for, for this inferior treatment females get. Otherwise why do even educated men take dowry? I am pretty much sure that the dowry system is still very much prevalent in India. Straight from childhood, we "educate" our daughters and younger sisters about the threats around and help them feel so insecure all the time. I know I am getting into an egg-chicken situation here, but, I think this respect that the society needs to show towards women should be inculcated very early, from our homes itself.

PS: I do not intend to say that the Indian-culture is completely awkward, but only meant to say that there obviously are some negatives and of course, a lot of positives. There is no reason why we should be ashamed of accepting the mistakes we do and correcting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Women in India have the odds stacked against them the moment they are born .......... A country that doesn't respect half its population stands no chance of succeeding on the global stage. We may be among the highest GDP growers in the world and still end up morally bereft.
noopster! I wish I had not posted my earlier post! You spoke my mind and I could not have put it to words better...

Last edited by Zappo : 12th March 2013 at 19:22. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 12th March 2013, 18:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

There is no one single point of solution to this.

There is a saying that the change should begin from within. I agree. As a good citizen we should start from our own home. Ofcourse, no parents will groom their kid to do such un-humanly things. What I would like to highlight is, we should educate our kids, teach them respect, morale, human value etc. And a bit of sex education is also needed for them.

If we start to treat both gender of the kids equal at home, the next generation would probably be much better.

My 2 cents.
Old 15th March 2013, 22:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

I pray hope the new anti rape law won't be used like how 498A was misused.

Stalking(sustained stalking), voyeurism is now made a criminal offense, and no bail for sustained stalking.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/ne...sources-342462

Last edited by ramzsys : 15th March 2013 at 22:10.
Old 15th March 2013, 23:38   #20
BHPian

Attitudes have to change. And our mindsets.

Why don't we support this initiative? www.facebook.com/therealmard

Let's not ignore, look away or tolerate this degeneration of our culture and values.

Last edited by Automaton : 15th March 2013 at 23:40.
Old 29th March 2013, 15:40   #21
M35
BHPian

MSN's The Her Courage survey asked ‘Are women in charge of their own safety?’ Responses received from around 600 MSN users reveal that they are, using a mix of self-defence tactics and calling for help when needed. A minority still prefers to ignore threats and keeping quiet, revealing that age-old conditioning is still at work
How to End Violence Against Women?-msn.jpg
Read more
Old 29th March 2013, 16:24   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I pray hope the new anti rape law won't be used like how 498A was misused.
Ha Ha. Of course it will be misused. People should have thought of that before doing morchas and candlelight vigils and facebook pages asking for new laws. Police and Govt always love new laws, narrow laws, strict laws. Who benefits from these kind of laws - Police & Govt. Who loses - us. But who are the ones who ask for it everytime without thinking it through - us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton View Post
Why don't we support this initiative? www.facebook.com/therealmard
I don't get it - what it is - I see page where it asks us to be a catalyst for change. Of course I support this and other 1000 online facebook pages and online petitions. But I don't see how that helps me or anyone else. 21st century feel good stuff - click on a like button and feel you have done something meaningful for the week. Or make a post flaming it on an online forum and feel even better :-)

Last edited by carboy : 29th March 2013 at 16:28.
Old 29th March 2013, 21:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

I don't get it - what it is - I see page where it asks us to be a catalyst for change. Of course I support this and other 1000 online facebook pages and online petitions. But I don't see how that helps me or anyone else. 21st century feel good stuff - click on a like button and feel you have done something meaningful for the week. Or make a post flaming it on an online forum and feel even better :-)
Agree that a post, comment or like will not make an iota of difference on the street.

What's required is a rethink of what it means to be a man. Real MARD.

Some homes are not providing the input, not teaching their boys what gender equality means.

Similarly, schools are not either, assuming parents do this.

The next few months are all going to be about reaching out to colleges and schools. Involving corporate leaders to send a message out into their companies and make people aware about their thinking and actions.

A few more things are planned. This is not a feel good and be done with your duty kind of page. Hopefully we all can achieve a lot more. Because, unlike switching off a bulb for an hour, or other good habit forming movements, this involves a change in mindset. And that we all will agree will not be quick enough, nor will it be easy.

Sharing a poem written by Javed Akhtar.

"Jiski aankhon mein hai jagmagati hui jaise gehri sharaafat ki ik roshni
Jis ke andaz mein ek tehzeeb hai
Jis ke lehjay mein narmi hai
shabdon mein tameez hai
Jis ke dil mein bhi aur jis ki baton mein bhi
aurat ke vastay poori izzat bhi hai poora aadar bhi hai
Jis ko aurat ke tan man ka, jeevan ka sammaan hai
Aurat ke aatm-sammaan ka jisko har ek pal dhyaan hai
Jo kabhi ek pal bhi nahin bhoolta aurat insaan hai
Jis ko apni bhi pehchaan hai
Jis mein shakti bhi hai
Jis mein himmat bhi hai
Jismein Gaurav hai, aatm-Vishwas hai
Jo agar saath hai
Jo agar paas hai
Uske hone se aurat ko apni suraksha ka ehsaas hai
Wo jo aurat ka ek sacha saathi hai, Ik dost hai, Ek hamdard hai
Sach Toh ye hai
vohi mard hain"

A thousand conversations should arise, parallel movements are required and serious contemplation on what it means to be a man. The real 'purusharth'.

I feel every bit will help somewhere. It's a start for all those movements and good deeds.

Join in and let time not diminish the horrific events of the past few months.
www.facebook.com/therealmard

Cheers!

Last edited by Automaton : 29th March 2013 at 21:59.
Old 4th August 2014, 19:43   #24
BHPian

Incident of rape in a moving vehicle in Kolkata

I just saw this news report on Times of India.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/39608074.cms

TOI reported this last night also -- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/39548070.cms

The victim is in her 20s and was thrown out of the vehicle afterwards. The earlier report says the vehicle was an autorickshaw whereas the later report has corrected? this to a car. The crime is reported to have occurred between 6 pm and 9 pm. There were apparently four perpetrators who seem to have been arrested now.

Nonetheless no surprises for conclusions drawn on the law and order situation :(

Mods, please edit the thread title if it is not appropriate.
Old 4th August 2014, 21:36   #25
BHPian

Re: Incident of rape in a moving vehicle in Kolkata

Very sensitive subject. All I would say is your instinct is your best friend.
Old 30th November 2019, 12:53   #26
BHPian

The Hyderabad murders were very shocking! Prevention of crime is the most important thing in our society. I sincerely hope the parents/siblings of the girls recover from this and God gives them strength to recover from this tragedy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks