Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2013, 13:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Amazon India is now live @ www.amazon.in

Fantastic step by Amazon. I have always loved Amazon.com for its VFM deals - especially ones that I cannot find on eBay. My only grouse was that I had to have it shipped to a US address and then manage to get it to India, somehow. Now with their entry into the online Indian marketplace this seems much more convenient.

Waiting on Amazon to expand beyond books and movies.
Old 6th June 2013, 15:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I doubt. Flipkart's valuation is way too high. It would cost Amazon far lesser $$$ to build their own customer base in India. Remember, Amazon has already set up local logistics too. The company loves a fight and is unbeatable when it comes to managing costs (a sore point for Flipkart) & customer service.
Oh didn't know that Amazon had set up local logistics.

I have purchased so many items from Amazon US and shipped it to my sister there to bring me here. Love their service and the pricing. Would love to see them give a good fight to Flipkart.
Old 6th June 2013, 16:01   #18
BHPian

This is good news for me especially if the prices are very competitive. I hope they bring other stuff, mainly electronics, soon to Indian customers closer to prices what they sell at amazon.com.
Old 6th June 2013, 16:23   #19
BHPian

Have just placed an order for a couple of books with them just to test the waters. The UI is exactly like the .com and .co.uk. Now, lets see how and when they deliver.

But, I've got to say this. They still have a lot of catching up to do with Flipkart. The prices on most books are at par or higher than Flipkart. And mind you, Flipkart is not the cheapest anymore. Moreover, since Amazon.in is mostly depending on the market place model to start off with, some rogue sellers might give a bad reputation to the site. Case in point - checked out a book on amazon.in, MRP is Rs 399, available at Rs 239 at Flipkart. Most of the Amazon sellers list the book in the range of Rs 299 to Rs 399 with Rs 49 to 99 a shipping. But, for all fulfilled by amazon items, the prices are at par with Flipkart.

The point I'm trying to make is that since they are starting off, many people would visit the site expecting great prices only to find such crazy prices by the market place sellers and then go disappointed to tell all and sundry that "amazon is no good, it is too pricey".

Having said that, I'm superbly happy that at last amazon is here and hopefully we'd get some great deals and products in the coming days.
Old 6th June 2013, 20:40   #20
BHPian

Good news. thanks for sharing.

Amazon will probably be able to bring in new products and a good competition to flipkart.

In a fast changing world, if the UI is better, more user friendly and saves time, customer base will be tilted towards amazon. Not to say that flipkart is slow. Flipkart by itself has been a great change in Indian shopping experience.

I agree that flipkart is no more cheap. I recently purchase a vacuum cleaner from a local shop, the same product on flipkart was listed@150 bucks more. Compare this to one odd years back, where, products were actually cheaper on flipkart.
Old 6th June 2013, 21:36   #21
BHPian

Yes,flipkart brought trust in the mind of Indian consumers for online shopping where buyers were often fooled with faulty or substandard product and on the other side,flipkart's pricing is going up day by day. I purchased a D-Link wifi router from flipkart for 2100 a week before and now its listed for 2450.
Old 6th June 2013, 21:41   #22
BANNED

Competition is always good for the customers. After the Letsbuy integration to Flipkart they kept their prices upwards.
Old 7th June 2013, 07:29   #23
BHPian

Happy to see them here.

Placed an order for few Classic movies and was shocked to receive a wrong movie. When checked with them, I was informed that it was an error from the vendors side. They are ready to refund as the required movie is not available. I decided to keep the VCD .

Kiran
Old 7th June 2013, 09:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

I searched for few books and found some mistakes in Author, title, image and spelling mistakes in product description. Did not expect it from Amazon!
Old 7th June 2013, 11:15   #25
BHPian

Checked out the site yesterday and ordered a copy of Dan Brown's Inferno for INR 499. The order has already been shipped and expect to get it in 2 days. The same is listed for about 12 bucks less on Flipkart. I have earlier ordered books from the Amazon US site which was a really good experience. Hope Amazon can kind of replicate the kind of prices it offers in US.
With so many portals coming up these day, I sometimes wonder what would happen to the physical shops? I remember going to Starmark in Kolkata, when I was studying there, every single week to pick something up. I kind of feel sad for them, as I love to read a portion of the book and then buy it. And online purchases are simply not the same. But I guess it the sign of things to come.
Old 13th June 2013, 13:48   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

The whole Kindle Package in now live on Amazon.in. The E- Readers will be available in the next couple of days. Prices are higher than the US versions. The Kindle Book store lists books with cost in Rs and has a section on the home page for books from Indian Authors. But it links to Amazon.com for the actual purchase.
Old 25th June 2013, 10:26   #27
BHPian

AMAZON INDIA STARTS ELECTRONICS ITEMS SELL ALSO .

some really mouth watering discounts on mobile and camera phones.
on mobiles : 10% (iphone 5 16gb with manufacturer warranty come at 39800 rupees after discount, galaxy S4 16gb with manufacturer warranty comes at 34820 after discount and HTC One with manufacturer warranty comes at 38800 rupees).

on Cameras : 15% discount

Last edited by Nicky : 25th June 2013 at 10:47.
Old 25th June 2013, 10:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Placed an order for some books last Friday (prices were at par with others or less). Got the books delivered on Saturday. Great service and excellent packing as usual.
Old 25th June 2013, 12:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Amazon is going for a kill. Some great offers on Camera (15%) and Mobile phones (10%).
Old 25th June 2013, 18:39   #30
BHPian

Sometimes one may get a better price on Flipkart.

For example Panasonic HX-DC2 HD Camcorder:

Amazon price Rs.13990.
Flipkart price Rs.11490 ( after 18% discount).

It never hurts to check both before buying.

( I have bought a lot from Amazon.com while in U.S.A. and have nothing but good to say about it.)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed