Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2013, 11:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rush (Racing Movie). On TV this Sunday - 28th September 2014

Link to News Section

Rush is a movie based on the legendary F1 rivalry and friendship between champions James Hunt and Niki Lauda. The sports action flick is directed by Ron Howard, who has made movies such as "A Beautiful Mind" and "Grand Theft Auto". Rush stars Chris Hemsworth as James Hunt while Daniel Bruhl plays Niki Lauda. Olivia Wilde and Alexandra Marie Lara play supporting roles.

Rush (Racing Movie). On TV this Sunday - 28th September 2014-rush-2013-poster.jpg

The movie attempts to trace the lives and times of James Hunt and Niki Lauda, and their much famed on-track competition leading up to their 1976 world championship face-off at that year's Japanese Grand Prix at Fuji. After Niki Lauda suffered a horrific crash during the 1976 German Grand Prix at Nurburgring, the race car driver was all but written off from the championship given the serious nature of his injuries.

Lauda made a spectacular comeback just six weeks after his career threatening crash, which many expected would force him into injury-induced early retirement. With Lauda back in the racing seat, the competition between him and Hunt intensified, to only culminate at the Japanese Grand Prix, setting up the championship title fight between Lauda's Ferrari and Hunt's Mclaren.

Apart from the racing rivalry, the movie Rush seeks to explore the emotional backgrounds of both James Hunt and Niki Lauda, and their personal lives. The movie is expected to showcase James Hunt's playboy lifestyle while Niki Lauda's serious and methodical demeanor could be highlighted as the perfect foil. The movie is set on race tracks such as Snetterton, Brands Hatch as well as the legendary Nurburgring. Both actual vintage race cars and race replicas have been used during the filming.

The movie has opened to rave reviews globally with RottenTomatoes, a highly regarded crowd sourced movie review database giving the movie a 95 % positive rating. Rush opens in India on the 20th of September. Pre-bookings for the movie on BookMyShow, are open only in Urvashi, a standalone theater in Bangalore.

It remains unclear as to whether the movie would release in other locations across India. As of now, the buzz on the grapevine suggests that the movie would see a limited run in India in terms of the number of screens it is released in. Expect more screens to be added to online movie booking portals in the coming days.

Last edited by noopster : 24th September 2013 at 17:01. Reason: Removed spoilers
JayPrashanth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 11:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Rush (Racing Movie). On TV this Sunday - 28th September 2014

Been waiting for this one since April..
Old 17th September 2013, 12:30   #3
BHPian

Finally! Been waiting for this since it was announced! Lets hope this turns out to be a decent movie about motor sports. There has not been a good movie about cars for so long.

Here are some interesting reads from Jalopnik:

Everything You Need to Know about RUSH

Ten Best Car Movies Never Seen

Ten Worst Car Movies of All Time
Old 17th September 2013, 12:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

This one should be a good watch , fantastic rating of about 8.4 on IMDB. For all those who have not seen the trailer here you go

Old 17th September 2013, 19:40   #5
BHPian

Hoping that this movie will be an entertainer. Will surely watch the movie basing on the feedback.
Old 17th September 2013, 19:55   #6
BHPian

Waiting for this one for some time now, hope this comes out as enthrilling as it seems to be from the online promos.
Old 17th September 2013, 21:13   #7
BHPian

For a moment there, I almost thought why were everyone discussing about this?
Old 18th September 2013, 18:44   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Man, this is one movie I've been waiting for. James Hunt was quite the colourful character while Lauda was the opposite. A beautiful mind ranks as one of my all-time favourite flicks; online reviews seem to point toward a high quality production for Rush as well.

Road-trip this weekend, going for the movie next week!
Old 18th September 2013, 22:00   #9
BHPian

I saw the listing of this movie a few days ago in the newspaper.

Have been waiting a long time for this movie.

However, I searched quite a few websites of the local multiplexes, but no one is listing the movie

EDIT: Just found out the movie is rated 'A'. Now I can't go even if it releases. Wonderful.

Last edited by nipcarlover : 18th September 2013 at 22:25.
Old 19th September 2013, 15:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
I

EDIT: Just found out the movie is rated 'A'. Now I can't go even if it releases. Wonderful.
Just checked on bookmyshow.com. The movie is rated U/A. Normally for such movies (which are not large releases), the booking will show up on websites only by late night or tomorrow (in the newspapers).
Old 19th September 2013, 15:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Just checked on bookmyshow.com. The movie is rated U/A. Normally for such movies (which are not large releases), the booking will show up on websites only by late night or tomorrow (in the newspapers).
Weird. I checked it on bookmyshow yesterday and it was 'A'. I guess it got changed overnight . Good news for me, I guess, if it releases in a cinema near me obviously.

EDIT:
OK, just read today's newspapers movies section thingy, and it says there are shows for tomorrow in a cinema nearby!

Last edited by nipcarlover : 19th September 2013 at 15:47.
Old 19th September 2013, 20:43   #12
BHPian

Now, wonder if this will release in Mangalore.
I still remember when the movie "SENNA" was released in 2010. An Exotic Tale of a Truly Unfathomable Legend. Multiple Goosebumps during this movie was a normal thing. Waiting to see how this movie will turn out to be.
Old 20th September 2013, 14:13   #13
BHPian

My Review on RUSH

Just finished walking out of the theatre. A Rush of emotions, a blur. I do not remember ever finishing a movie and coming out buzzed with a range of emotions that I cannot fully take in.

But first things first.
Motor Racing has never been a successful genre in the movie world. Critically or Commercially, Motor Racing has been a fringe player even in the genre of sports movies. Movies have come that have been too focussed on the actual racing (Grand Prix, Le Mans), or some which have been too Hollywood-ish and ruined the entire movie (Sylvester Stallone's DRIVEN - God, I'm trying to forget that one).

SENNA (2010) was a documentary which crossed over successfully, finding favour with the Formula 1 fan and the general audience. Due to it's success, it was said, that this movie could finally be made, an ode to one of the craziest Formula 1 seasons (1976) ever.

Just a warning, for those who have seen SENNA or Le Mans, this movie is not fully about Racing and all its intricacies. It is a Hollywood Movie about Formula 1, and certain commercial requirements have dictated that it play down to some of the Hollywood cliches for making the movie popular.

What this movie is primarily about, is a rivalry, or two individuals, whose different outlooks on life, love and winning make for a fiery combination, like fire and water.

The movie primarily focuses on James Hunt (Chris Helmsworth - THOR) and Niki Lauda (Daniel Bruhl - Inglorious Basterds), from where their rivalry began in Formula 3, to their title fight in the 1976 season.

I guess I am rambling a lot and don't know how to carry on, so I shall shorten it down to the Pros and Cons.

PROS

- The Acting: If anyone deserves an Oscar this year for Best Actor, it has to be Daniel Bruhl, his portrayal of Niki Lauda is spot on and draws you in. Initially, you hate Niki for being a cold, calculating b*****d, but in the second half of the movie, you see his heart, his guts and determination, and you can't help cheer for him.

Chris Helmsworth as James Hunt. I was apprenehsive about this casting decision, and wondered if Helmsworth could carry of the complexities of Hunt well. In short, Yes. He Does. But then Hunt is also a more likeable character, and Chris plays him well enough. You do get to see some of Hunt's demons, and why he does what he does. But it is glossed over.

- The attention to detail: The production crew could of course not borrow and race classic Formula 1 Cars from the 1976 season, so they had to build them over current Formula 3 chassis for the movie. But my God, have they succeeded. You can clearly see the Ferrari 312T and McLaren M23 battle it out, both decked in Marlboro badging. The sounds and camera angles are spot on and convey a sense of the speed and challenge involved in driving the cars. Hunt's drive in the final race, is especially mesmerizing and dangerous.

- The characters - Ron Howard has wisely focused on the two main protagonist in the movie (Hunt and Lauda). True, that means that the other characters do not get much space, but then, this movie is defined by these two giants.

Hunt is a likeable chap, a guy whom most men would want to be and most women would want to be with. Yet, we see that his drive and lifestyle do extract a price, and his demons are below the surface, a side he never shows to others.

Niki Lauda is, as mentioned before turns from villain to hero across the movie. His ruthless Germanic efficiency (remind you of anyone), make you hate him, but then comes his tragic accident, and his fight to recover makes you admire him and love him. This movie makes me admire Niki Lauda even more in real life, and want to read up more about him.

Make no mistake, if the first half of the movie is Hunt's, the second Half is Lauda's...
But in the end, both men make us realise that there is no correct way or wrong, no heroes or villains. And in the end, the movie belong to them both equally.

CONS

I know that I would come across as an ungrateful wrench for pointing out flaws which most of us would not care about, but dammit, I am a fan and would just want to point out what could have been different.

- The Racing - There was just not enough racing, in my opinion. I know, it takes screen time to tell the story of the characters, but dammit, I wanted some more of the 1976 season, and especially some more on track action. Esp, the controversy around the British GP (played out brilliantly in the BBC documentary about Hunt and Lauda), which was not covered in enough detail for me. It would have added about 10 - 15 minutes more to the movie, but I would have liked it.

Also, in the wide angle shots, the cars just seem too slow. Thankfully, there is no Fast and Furious 10000 gear changes to make the cars go faster

- More focus on other characters - There are glorious Lotus (in John Players livery), six wheeled tyrell and other Formula 1 cars in the races, as are drivers (Mario Andretti). But we never see much of them, they are just given a cursory glance through the movie. But I guess, this movie is about Hunt and Lauda first and foremost.

Well, in the end, and also for my longest post on team-bhp, what do I have to say?

RUSH is a Brilliant film. A film more that just racing cars. It is a story that focuses on two great characters, and takes you though a roller coaster ride that ends on the right note, with a new found respect for Hunt and especially Lauda.

Is it the perfect movie for Motor Racing / Car fans?

Yes and No.

Mostly Yes, since it covers most of what we want in a motor racing film without the excessive bullshit.
No, since it is still Hollywood-ised to some extent. But I guess I would rather have it this way so that it gains commercial success and paves the way for more motor racing films.

In the end, I conclude; "RUSH is not the movie we deserved, but the one we need." 9.5/10

Last edited by avi550m : 20th September 2013 at 14:15. Reason: Certain details ommitted
Old 20th September 2013, 23:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
My Review on RUSH

Just finished walking out of the theatre. A Rush of emotions, a blur. I do not remember ever finishing a movie and coming out buzzed with a range of emotions that I cannot fully take in.
Couldn't have agreed with anything more than this statement. i could hardly breathe through the movie. I remember the last time such a thing happened. Senna.

After Senna and Prost rivalry, the best to come out of this genre.
Old 21st September 2013, 00:48   #15
BHPian

I just walked out. If engine note tingles you one bit, you CAN'T MISS THIS. Period. F1 from time of manual shifters, no traction control and long haired racers. It was mad and that made it good. Beyond racing, it's a really well put together script. This and Senna might just be turning point for Sports Racing movies, there are just too many stories to tell. 8.5/10 I would say.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks