Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2013, 09:36   #61
BHPian

Re: Why should I be the sucker?

Nobody is the sucker here. It is just the mind refusing to cope with problems of everyday life & the resultant depression suggesting rash & impractical solutions.

Is emigrating to a foreign land a guarantee of a safe, wholesome quality of life? Are you sure no one will hassle you in 'n' number of ways in a foreign land?

Hellmet, it is easy to dismiss India as an uninhabitable wasteland if you compare it to a foreign country like the US/UK (IIRC you had had a stint in the US after which you came back to India). These are everyday problems, for which we devise our own coping mechanisms throughout the course of life. Everyone has had an innumerable number of 'bad' days in life. Don't try to work around the problem, look for solutions to the problem.

I live in a housing complex which has one of the largest number of flats in Delhi. This means the common space is usually occupied for Jagran/Kirtans etc. My house is situated right next to that space, still my family sleeps well at night, thanks to Aluminium window and door fixtures which soundproof the rooms. I own a car that can be parked in a tight spot, so I don't have to hunt for a spot when our own dedicated parking is occupied by visitors.

My suggestion to you is to look for solutions. Talk to people around you, work out their solving mechanism. Keeping all this bottled up inside you may have even worse consequences.
Old 27th September 2013, 13:10   #62

I sympathise with you as you rise so many questions and knowing Hyderabad is not a nice place for driving. Still I would like to rise few points ..

I know the traffic-laws/roads are Not to your liking! But every country has its own sort of problem (and benefits). For ex: Even roads/traffic at USA are in poor conditions and fatal accidents are rising. If possible read this: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...aying/2594499/

Don't you sound parochial at times in your article: Like when you expect people to follow rules but saying police fine you because of "Driving non-state vehicle/tinted-vehicle/not-carrying pollution certificate"? Or when you say "your city" and NOT "my city" !

BTW Bangalore police won't stop you simply, unless you break (visible) traffic-rule.

Before blaming the Indian political system, have you heard this quote? "People get the government what they deserve". Unless people don't try to change/vote we deserve the same living conditions for coming years also.
Old 27th September 2013, 13:42   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajender View Post
We live in a country that has a totally crippled system, be it whatever walk of life that you see or experience. Be it roads, infrastructure, social security, public safety, real estate, maintaining your real estate after having acquired it or whatever you can think of. The only respite that one can get by being this "sucker" is, at least that we are not contributing to this pile of debris.

One of my friends once very rightly said that government is made by the people who vote and the people whom they elect are the ones whose thought process matches with their and whom they can relate themselves with. One would vote for and elect the people who support their way of life. We as middle class, slightly upper middle class, lower middle class or upper middle class work and we work like hell to make our ends meet and to improve our living standards and end up paying taxes which are the funds that this rest of the population thrives on. These Food for All schemes, education for all schemes, subsidized food grain schemes and others schemes which are launched by governments under variety of names are actually schemes to gulp down this tax money and nothing more. More so, any little benefit that they bring to society is brought to the section which does not care to pay any taxes and we anyways are at the end of the spectrum that suffers, no matter what. These schemes are not for us, the infrastructure that is built is not for us, the public transport systems are not built in places where the tax payer is residing, the roads are never built in areas where the tax payer has to travel, the vegetables, consumables and food grain is costly only to the tax payer because none of these benefits are meant for the tax payer. That is because the government is not made by the tax payer but is voted to power by either the people who vote for their religious pride or regional pride or the pride they feel by consuming the cheap alcohol that flows to their homes during elections.

The only way out of this is that we unanimously choose to vote and bring about the change that we want. Until we all do that, we will end up cribbing and of course keep on being that sucker. The other way, if you can afford, is
I have this argument with my friends who are back in India more often than not. I have honestly come to the conclusion that the only thing that can really save India is a do over; a dictatorship of some sort, whether by strongman or military. Throw all the corrupt idiots and bums out and lock them up (no trials neccessary, these people must be dealt with harshly). Put new, good people into power. People who want to change the country. I forsee this sort of thing taking oh maybe, 10-15 years. Then after that, if absolute power doesnt corrupt absolutely, have elections again.
Old 27th September 2013, 13:59   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

I have always found this thing about "choose your vote carefully" and " it is your fault since you voted this leader in" as laughable. In today's scenario whom does one vote for? 99% of these leaders are all fruit of the same tree. So your vote really does not matter. More so when the real election is decided at the rural level where the masses are either bought by false promises or more commonly some cash, food and alcohol.
Old 27th September 2013, 14:33   #65
BHPian

@ hellmet, your views are truly shared by many like minded people but then again you think of the many freedoms one enjoys in our country. For example one does not have to worry about social services meddling with your life, the freedom in using medical services and a lot of stuff like that. bottom line: life sucks but no regrets!
Old 27th September 2013, 14:35   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
This is a story of an average, slightly upper middle class citizen in current day India, and his experiences with the system.
This thread is nothing but just a bloated helpless middle class rant! Sorry there is no "upper" or "slightly upper" middle class.

So one becomes a "sucker" by doing certain things??

If someone thinks that breaking a signal makes one smart and the other suckers (who wait)

or

implying that we are suckers to wait till the lights go green while the whole world honks/ abuses.

I see no difference between the two mentalities.

The country is young and immature deal with it!! And corruption doesn't help us either.

But though i pay 85 bucks for petrol i live in better times than say what my father had lived through and I'm sure my kids will live in better times than i have lived.

The people you are pointing out to are your fellow country folk, all have their own respective problems that doesn't mean that they surrender and cry for mercy because some one brushed their precious car.

You live in crowded cities such things happen, fight it or forget it just don't cry publicly over it. You're not helping.

Note from Support: There are several grammatical errors in your posts. Please ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 27th September 2013 at 21:01. Reason: See note.
Old 27th September 2013, 14:47   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I have always found this thing about "choose your vote carefully" and " it is your fault since you voted this leader in" as laughable. In today's scenario whom does one vote for? 99% of these leaders are all fruit of the same tree. So your vote really does not matter. More so when the real election is decided at the rural level where the masses are either bought by false promises or more commonly some cash, food and alcohol.
drmohitg, You've hit the nail on the head.

In our country, we have all kinds of issues (in every walk of life) from petty ignorable ones to apparently threatening ones. It's difficult to come up with one standard solution for all of them or blame some one for all of them.
Old 27th September 2013, 15:01   #68
BHPian

Hey Hellmet,
Kudos to your article. Most of the views simply echoed my thoughts.
I am very happy to agree that as most of the fellow TBHPians (including yourself), I am also a strict follower of Traffic Rules. And I get very strange stares, glances, and gaali-garoch for that. But I try to be determined to follow.
I broke traffic rules twice and I paid the due fine. (Mind you, not a single paisa above the fine value).
One thing which I fear is most of the people just ignore and go away (as well put up by someone as very very selfish nature). We at Team BHP can continue to do this and persuade our near and dear ones to do the same.
Surely, this great country can be made THE BEST by joint efforts.
Once again thank you for your article.
Old 27th September 2013, 15:06   #69
Senior - BHPian

I have similar thoughts many times, and I can feel your anguish, helmet. But inspite of thinking long and hard on this topic, I have been unable to decide one way or another. The only feasible solution seems to be a military style takeover, as others before me have said, but then again, I think of how our neighbouring country has been through that, and they're much worse off. The one thing that scares me of an Anna Hazare type movement is the anarchy that such a movement could create.

Some people say that an alternative government could change things, but I'm not convinced about that either. I think its somewhat naive to expect changes to the poliitical system from the current lot, they have too much invested into the system to want to change the way things work.

So, with all those options ruled out, I then wonder despondently as to which country to migrate to, but I don't want to. I want to be in India. Maybe the back has'nt broken yet, maybe in a few months/years, I might change my mind. Till then, the confusion, anger, indignation persists.
Old 27th September 2013, 15:20   #70
BHPian

Every society has it's own share of positives and negatives. There is no heaven on entire Earth.

Leaving own country and going somewhere else is not the solution. Solution is pertinent and known to everyone, but we always wait for "someone else" to pick up the broom and clean the filth.

Tell me honestly, how many of us take care to go and vote in the elections? If you observe the trend, the winner in any election has hardly got above 20% of the total electorate. Because "we" educated, socially aware and righteous people "know" that there is no worthwhile candidate, we choose to abstain and the total voting percentage goes to max 50% and the one securing highest amongst the same becomes the winner. Think what difference could we have made, had we voted!

Don't give an excuse of having to choose between bad and worse - it's like blaming the dog to beat the dog If there is no worthy candidate, why can't you choose to be the candidate? Are you ready to forgo the comfort of your job and cozy home? Are you ready to take the risk? Or are you waiting for "someone else" to own that responsibility?

It's easy to crib and difficult to own up. Think what you want to be seen as.

Theory?? Yes, whatever I've stated is just theory. Now blast this post and be happy.
Old 27th September 2013, 19:25   #71

What a perfect description of our daily sufferings. There are times when I get frustrtaed & there are times when I go ahead & say "MAAF".
Keep doing the right thing & I am sure there will be a time soon when we will get to see a gradual change.
Till then lets face it !!!
Old 27th September 2013, 20:23   #72
BHPian

What a day...! The prince has spoken and the blind lady, well, has seen enough it seems! Historic judgement!

So here is this optimistic sucker a little more optimistic...!

What do you people think of the rejection button? Is it going to work? Or is it the latest Apple product the revolutionary " i-WASH " ?

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 27th September 2013 at 20:24.
Old 27th September 2013, 20:51   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Was I a sucker buying a new car
Life teaches humility, and it is up to us to put aside our egos, carry a smile, and go through life each day. Sure, it isn't fair, but we would rather toss away our pride and be happy rather than spend what would seem like an eternity if we kept sulking about what we don't have and how the world is out to get us.

BTW, last week, someone left a large scratch and minor dent on the side of my car (most likely when he/she was parking or leaving, and scraped the car with his/her front bumper). I had it painted this week, and barely 2 days later, somebody chips off the paint in the parking lot (when getting in/out, he/she probably slammed his/her door against my car). I'm planning to get a touch-up this time, but I know soon enough that someone would leave another large scratch and I'll have to go for another paint job next month.
Old 27th September 2013, 22:51   #74
BHPian

Been there done that.

Why? Stop asking that question to yourself.

Shhh an a t happens. But, it takes time to happen.

Since you are also a proud Indian like so many of us, s. it happens. All the time.

This evening, there was a drag race, between two women and i sort of got sandwitched in between. rider no1. some fat donkey lady with a kid on a scooty pep. rider no2 err I should perhaps refer to her as the defender, a thin burka clad lady with 2 brats on a activa.

they did have a few things in common.

they were riding flat out
no helmet
and a vacant head.

they jumped 3 signals with their brats. I must have looked like an idiot in their eyes.

This is how things happen out here. Most of us are pre historic, ( culure) or whatever. a hitler is what we need as a traffic cop. jump signal, i shoot you will work.

We know your feelings, like I said been there done that! In fact thats how one gets to be a senior even here! j/k. Chill out helmy

But always watch your back!
Old 28th September 2013, 00:37   #75
BANNED

This is such a disheartening thread. There are always two paths in life - the hard path that is right/ethical/moral and the easy shortcut that is wrong/immoral/unethical

Following the hard right path (paying taxes, following the laws, and treating other humans as equals, etc) does not make that person a sucker. In feeling like a sucker, what are you looking for? Camaraderie of people who are not suckers who take the shortcut? Feeling like a sucker for taking the long way is just one short step away from actually taking the shortcut.

I agree that our social fabric is divisive. Kids are never taught the power of a community at school, it is the responsibility of parents. With people traveling all around the world, there is so much awareness about the power of values based on social science. We should not hate other people we don't know by default. We cannot fall into the trap of hate based on class divide, religious/caste divide, language divide, etc. Frustration is understandable, but one should not feel like a sucker for staying on the right path.

Unfortunately, I see several teenagers celebrate posts of petty groupism on Facebook. The success of groupism is conditioned and programmed at all levels. This is done by the means of elections based on religion/caste, caste based school seats, laws based on religion, language based discrimination etc. Ask any child how highly he thinks of his language and lowly of the language of neighboring states. The hate is ignorant and baseless, it is not in the best interest of the society. People end up keeping their houses spotlessly clean and piss on the compound wall of a house on the next street. Or even worse piss on the compound of a government office. They own that office, because they paid some tax, how did they miss that lesson. Was it ever taught?

Last edited by prasadee : 28th September 2013 at 00:40.

Most Viewed