Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 28th July 2019, 19:42   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Has AR Rahman lost his Midas Touch?

Another great composition of AR Rahman is the 1994 film Duet. The saxophone tracks played by Kadri Gopinath are one of the best that I ever heard on a commercial movie ost. Till date I am searching for its CD.

The point is as they age their music's evolve, I saw Rahman in the Amazon prime program Harmony and I can vouch he is still utmost creative, still experimenting and finding ways to be not repeating.

In his recent composition of the Hritik Roshan starred movie mohenjodaro, the track Tu Hai is a classic example, first time I heard did not like it, but if you hear it again and again you start realising the growing affinity, the feeling of the floating people in air when time slows down, visuals make it more appropriate.

Last edited by haisaikat : 28th July 2019 at 19:47.
haisaikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2019, 09:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
But even he is not in the same league as great masters of yore where they could give multiple chartbusters in a single movie and keep doing it for decades.
ARR has spent 35 years in industry starting as a keyboard player, that itself is a big achievement. He probably has lost his touch in giving melodious compositions. He was supposed to make his debut with a Kannada movie in 1985 which was produced by Dwarakish. My favorite of his compositions are "En Kadhale En Kadhale" from Duet and "Premanjali Ide Nanna Bhasphanjali" both sung by SPB. The latter song was completely ARR's work unofficially in a Kannada movie Ondagi Balu.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2019, 09:44   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
and "Premanjali Ide Nanna Bhasphanjali" both sung by SPB. The latter song was completely ARR's work unofficially in a Kannada movie Ondagi Balu.
Interesting... the official credit for the music is given to Vijay Anand.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2019, 10:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Interesting... the official credit for the music is given to Vijay Anand.
jHe worked as an assistant to many music directors, ARR debut movie was supposed to be Dance Raja Dance, this information was shared in the program "Ede Tumbi Haduvenu" produced by ETV in 2001-02. This is just like how GK Venkatesh was behind the composition of Ilaya Raja. Orchestration is much important than composition.

Last edited by deehunk : 29th July 2019 at 10:07.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2019, 12:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
jHe worked as an assistant to many music directors, ARR debut movie was supposed to be Dance Raja Dance, this information was shared in the program "Ede Tumbi Haduvenu" produced by ETV in 2001-02. This is just like how GK Venkatesh was behind the composition of Ilaya Raja. Orchestration is much important than composition.
I have heard Dwarkish say that ARR used be a keyboard player. Even ARR has mentioned that he used to play for Vijay Anand during his initial days.
Regarding GKV and Raja, Raja was involved in writing the composed music and arranging where Vaidynathan was also involved in lot of movies ( to composers Rajan Nagendra also).

Orchestration is major plus of ARR music. I used buy almost all his movie albums because it made it so good to listen on a good audio system. I stopped that since he started using too many musical instruments. Earlier the recordings had a melody with fewer instruments sounding very neat.

I remember Nadeem-Shravan lamenting that only orchestration is good in ARR's music decades ago when ARR just had a couple of movies to his credit.

Last edited by srishiva : 29th July 2019 at 12:10.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote