Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2019, 19:42   #31
BHPian

Re: Has AR Rahman lost his Midas Touch?

Another great composition of AR Rahman is the 1994 film Duet. The saxophone tracks played by Kadri Gopinath are one of the best that I ever heard on a commercial movie ost. Till date I am searching for its CD.

The point is as they age their music's evolve, I saw Rahman in the Amazon prime program Harmony and I can vouch he is still utmost creative, still experimenting and finding ways to be not repeating.

In his recent composition of the Hritik Roshan starred movie mohenjodaro, the track Tu Hai is a classic example, first time I heard did not like it, but if you hear it again and again you start realising the growing affinity, the feeling of the floating people in air when time slows down, visuals make it more appropriate.

Last edited by haisaikat : 28th July 2019 at 19:47.
Old 29th July 2019, 09:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
But even he is not in the same league as great masters of yore where they could give multiple chartbusters in a single movie and keep doing it for decades.
ARR has spent 35 years in industry starting as a keyboard player, that itself is a big achievement. He probably has lost his touch in giving melodious compositions. He was supposed to make his debut with a Kannada movie in 1985 which was produced by Dwarakish. My favorite of his compositions are "En Kadhale En Kadhale" from Duet and "Premanjali Ide Nanna Bhasphanjali" both sung by SPB. The latter song was completely ARR's work unofficially in a Kannada movie Ondagi Balu.
Old 29th July 2019, 09:44   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
and "Premanjali Ide Nanna Bhasphanjali" both sung by SPB. The latter song was completely ARR's work unofficially in a Kannada movie Ondagi Balu.
Interesting... the official credit for the music is given to Vijay Anand.
Old 29th July 2019, 10:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Interesting... the official credit for the music is given to Vijay Anand.
jHe worked as an assistant to many music directors, ARR debut movie was supposed to be Dance Raja Dance, this information was shared in the program "Ede Tumbi Haduvenu" produced by ETV in 2001-02. This is just like how GK Venkatesh was behind the composition of Ilaya Raja. Orchestration is much important than composition.

Last edited by deehunk : 29th July 2019 at 10:07.
Old 29th July 2019, 12:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
jHe worked as an assistant to many music directors, ARR debut movie was supposed to be Dance Raja Dance, this information was shared in the program "Ede Tumbi Haduvenu" produced by ETV in 2001-02. This is just like how GK Venkatesh was behind the composition of Ilaya Raja. Orchestration is much important than composition.
I have heard Dwarkish say that ARR used be a keyboard player. Even ARR has mentioned that he used to play for Vijay Anand during his initial days.
Regarding GKV and Raja, Raja was involved in writing the composed music and arranging where Vaidynathan was also involved in lot of movies ( to composers Rajan Nagendra also).

Orchestration is major plus of ARR music. I used buy almost all his movie albums because it made it so good to listen on a good audio system. I stopped that since he started using too many musical instruments. Earlier the recordings had a melody with fewer instruments sounding very neat.

I remember Nadeem-Shravan lamenting that only orchestration is good in ARR's music decades ago when ARR just had a couple of movies to his credit.

Last edited by srishiva : 29th July 2019 at 12:10.
Old 6th July 2020, 10:02   #36
BHPian

After a long time the Mozart is back. As usual a slow poison. Orchestration is too good. Inclusion of Nadaswaram is the highlight.

saisree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 14:14   #37
BHPian

I think a lot has to do with the listener's taste in music changing. Just like in the English music scene the age of rock and metal gave up to give into the Beibers and multiple other fanboy groups, things have changed in India. Its not just about the music anymore. I feel it is a combination of music, picturization and the singer. ARR gave a new formula introducing singers by the dozen for each of his movies. And the trend continues. Somehow i feel that he is maturing as time progresses and some of his best numbers are still to come. It might no longer be the BGM but it will be about just songs.

Some of his songs in the last few years have been exemplary. A few of them here

Harmony is indeed vintage Rehman i would say. Lets hope he comes up with more like this.
subraiyr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 14:56   #38
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
After a long time the Mozart is back. As usual a slow poison. Orchestration is too good. Inclusion of Nadaswaram is the highlight.
Heard the song for the first time. Nadaswaram by Sheik Chinna Moulana - Simply out of park. AWESOME! Thanks for the post.

Last edited by KPR : 6th July 2020 at 14:58.
Old 6th July 2020, 15:19   #39
BHPian

He is way past his prime now. We used to remember and hum a lot of his songs earlier. Nowadays we rarely find 1 or 2 songs which are worthy of humming from his most recent albums. The favorite ARR melodies I reminisce today are mainly from the 90s and early 2000s. Some compositions in Tamil and Hindi are still classic and have not aged even today.

He used to have a lot of traditional instruments in his earlier recordings. Nowadays, it is more to do with use of presets and loops with advent of software mixing. One can notice a lot of available loops or presets and purchased loops in his compositions post the golden 90s. Maybe the current generation may prefer the tech mixing and software compositions. Having said that, he still comes up with some good numbers every now and then.

I would rate Roja, Indian, Kizhakku Cheemiyilae, Duet, Kadhalan, Bombay, Indira, Rangeela, Thiruda Thiruda, May Madham, Dil Se, Alaipayuthey, Lagaan, Swades, Ayutha Ezhuthu as his top albums and very hard to pick a favorite best among these. I had to leave a good deal of albums to narrow down to the above though they would be amazing to listen today as well. Almost every song would have been a hit and great to listen among the above albums and this holds true even today. I can't say the same for his recent albums.

He did produce some good albums like RDB, Jodha Akbar, Delhi 6, Raavan and Rockstar post the golden age.

If I have to pick a few albums which have atleast a track hum worthy from his recent ones, Katru Veliyidai, AYM, Tamasha and Highway. These may have just 1 or 2 tracks worth listening to and this shows a clear trend that he is past his prime now.

Among the new age music directors, Amit Trivedi has some very good albums and stand out compositions starting from Dev D. Looks to be seen how long can Amit Trivedi go on like this. In Tamil, I like Santhosh Narayanan compositions of late and he has a way with rustic melody and bringing out the local flavour.

Last edited by whencut86 : 6th July 2020 at 15:22. Reason: grammatical error
Old 6th July 2020, 15:23   #40
BHPian

^^

So that settles it then. Illayaraja is any day better.
Old 6th July 2020, 17:15   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
He is way past his prime now. We used to remember and hum a lot of his songs earlier. Nowadays we rarely find 1 or 2 songs which are worthy of humming from his most recent albums. The favorite ARR melodies I reminisce today are mainly from the 90s and early 2000s. Some compositions in Tamil and Hindi are still classic and have not aged even today.

If I have to pick a few albums which have atleast a track hum worthy from his recent ones, Katru Veliyidai, AYM, Tamasha and Highway. These may have just 1 or 2 tracks worth listening to and this shows a clear trend that he is past his prime now.
Agree ARR is past his prime, but it lasted a great 2+ decades and what a prolific output ! For a Tamilian like me who grew up in Hyderabad he was my introduction to Tamil film music. For that eternal gratitude

A 2019 ARR song I love:

ps - some spectacular cinematography in this song

Last edited by DigitalOne : 6th July 2020 at 17:18.
DigitalOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 17:32   #42
KPR
BANNED

Well there's no end or lost touch to ARR. All songs in his latest compositions say OK Kanmani, Chekka Chevantha Vaanam are too good to listen to. He's taking us to newer places even with his film music genre where all other music directors are giving us normal numbers in a fresh voice. I think Rockstar was the movie where the turn around of experimentation happened. I'm sure to reach this level it may require a decade for other music directors. Nothing wrong with them just that ARR is always ahead. There is no stopping of ARR's experiments when in the hands of directors like ManiRatnam, Imtiaz Ali. I'm loving these new music for sure.

Last edited by KPR : 6th July 2020 at 17:35.
Old 6th July 2020, 17:37   #43
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
^^

An apples to oranges comparison in my opinion. Both have different styles and ruled the industry in different generations
Old 6th July 2020, 19:54   #44
BHPian

I think we have to genius their credit. They have their own quirky ways of doing things. Might be ARR is experimenting with electronic devices and instruments a lot, or might be, he coming up with a different fusion kind of music where he wants to appeal to a more international audience. What he has produced in all these years is sheer genius. I mean, think of an artist who has been consistent in ALL these years? I doubt anyone even comes close to him. Also, the best of what he does is not in Hindi, but in Tamil. Barely a tiny % of the Non-Tamil or Non-Southern Indian state folks has even listened to his work in Tamil. I don't understand a word of it but my playlist consists of more Tamil songs, BGMs and vocals than the Hindi ones of ARR. That is his magic. His music these days is like an acquired taste. Those who love it, worship him, those who don't, find it frustrating on what is happening with this genius.

He is definitely experimenting a lot. Might be its a phase where he will re-invent himself and bring out stuff that we all wrote off. For me, to be from a generation of Roja, Bombay, Swades, Lagaan, it has all been a blessing.
Old 6th July 2020, 20:18   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
^^

You are comparing two different worlds here. No doubt Ilaiyaraaja is a great music director and he has his own template. But he ensured he is always in his comfort zone and most of the songs in his later part of the career were programmed mostly by ARR, which, he himself acknowledged in a recent live show. They both worked together for 500+ films.

ARR introduced a new experience which warranted most of the music lovers to get a stereo system. He mixes technology and live orchestra that gives that experience called goosebumps. A fresh feel of air and a raised heart beat. Javed Akhtar in one of his interviews says “ Indian film music can be divided into three. Pre Rahman, Rahman,l and Post Rahman”, which, is yet to come.

Just look into his way of composition here. Please use headphones.

PS: I was a Ilaiyaraaja fan boy. Took me time to accept ARR. Today ARR is matchless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Harmony is indeed vintage Rehman i would say. Lets hope he comes up with more like this.
It’s a unique experience. I like the 1st, 2nd and last episodes. That Rudra Veena piece is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Heard the song for the first time. Nadaswaram by Sheik Chinna Moulana - Simply out of park. AWESOME! Thanks for the post.
Some similarities here. Sheik Chinna Moulana is a legend himself.

Last edited by saisree : 6th July 2020 at 20:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks