Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2014, 14:43   #1
BHPian

Weekly car videos for enthusiasts : YouTube Channels worth subscribing to...

It's safe to say that we at team BHP are all car bores and we love to read and watch all the latest car reviews.

We sometimes wait all week for our favorite car show to come up on our T.V. But here is one thing I have learned, that is motoring journalism in India is still way behind our European and American counterparts.

Our motoring shows like Overdrive and Car and bike show simply don't have the budget, high tech equipments, the proper knowledge and the passion to make a car review exciting enough. I myself find that reading reviews here in Team BHP is way more satisfying than wasting half an hour watching these shows.

But help is at hand and it comes in the form of Youtube channels. Here I have made a list of some of the weekly Youtube car videos and their respective individual motoring journalists. I hope watching these will get the fix that some of us needs.

1) Chris Harris on cars @ DRIVE

Chris Harris on cars is actually a sub channel or a part of a larger channel called DRIVE. As you would have guessed by now the guy who is reviewing the cars is called Chris Harris.

In my opinion this seemingly short, slightly brown, British bloke is motoring journalism at it's best. This guy is so talented he can make a review of a lawn mower interesting and probably drift the wheels off one too.

Chris Harris is an incredibly talented driver and his power slides are a thing of beauty. In his reviews he drives all of his cars the way it is meant to be, that is he absolutely canes it and makes the rear tires light up like its diwali.

His reviews are also deeply informative and even more impressive is his attention to the details in his reviews. He leaves no stone untouched while doing a review.

Here is the link to his channel.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL239B84BD346EEEFA

And here is a pic

Attachment 1228589

2) EVO TV

You might have heard of EVO somewhere before. It is a motoring magazine based in U.K. Their magazines are a delight to read. It is entertaining and informative but it costs cash.

Fortunately EVO also does car reviews via their Youtube channel EVO TV.

The main guy at EVO used to be Harry Metcalfe. But he seems to have retired now. But his reviews are all still there in Youtube. An elderly , yet sporting gentleman he is quite different from Harris who is simply a hooligan behind the wheel.

His reviews range from classic cars to the latest models ranging from hot hatches all the way to exotics. His reviews are also very informative and you never get tired of listening to him. You wont see any drifting though.

Here is the link

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...harry+metcalfe

And a pic.

Attachment 1228602

Don't worry about the "no drifting part" though. Because Harry has left that to his young colleagues Henry Catchpole and Jethro Bovingdon.

Henry looks like skinny and nerdy version of Hugh Jackman in the "Wolverine" whereas Jethro Bovingdon who is seemingly calm and soft spoken is actually a baby faced lunatic behind the wheel.

Both are Incredibly good reviewers with their own style. Henry is quite the all rounder and is much closer to Harry Metcalfe in his style than Chris Harris whereas Jethro is eerily similar to Chris Harris in his reviews. Jethro's driving skills are exceptional and so is his hooning skills.

Here are the links.

Henry's

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+catchpole+Evo

A pic.

Attachment 1228603

Jethro's

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...+bovingdon+evo

A pic.

Attachment 1228604

3) MOTORTREND

Over to the U.S for the next one in the list. Motortrend like EVO is also primarily a motoring magazine which also happens to have a Youtube channel. Like Drive it too is consisted of many sub-channels. The ones to look out for are Ignition and Head To Head

Ignition is mainly hosted by Carlos Interlagos and Head to Head by Johnny Leiberman although either one of them can end up doing both of them too.

Ignition is mostly focused on the brand new cars on the market. The cars are subjected to different tests, a sprint on the drag strip, stopping distance, figure eight test and maybe a full on lap of the track. The cars are then reviewed on the public roads.

Head to Head as the name suggests pits two cars against each other and sees which one is the best. A ll the test in Igniton are also done in Head to Head, but this time with two cars.

Both Carlos and Johnny are hugely capable reviewers but their driving skills are not up there with their European counterparts, so that means less smokey stuff. Carlos looks like a character straight out of " the American Pie" series and Johnny looks like Alan from "The Hangover" series.

Both of them are similar in their style of reviewing. But Johnny's seems to be more funny and Carlo's seems to be more informative.

Here are the links

Ignition:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...trend+ignition

Pic

Attachment 1228621

Head to Head:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...d+head+to+head

Pic

Attachment 1228622

4) TUNED @ DRIVE

Next on the list is Tuned. It is also a sub channel like Chris Harris on cars under DRIVE. Unlike Chris Harris on cars though this one is based in U.S.

It is hosted by Matt Farah who is your typical American. Big, obnoxious, burger munching bloke with a bulgan beard. Tuned mainly focuses on modified cars and I mean heavily modified cars. I am talking about 800-900 horsepower on average. Aspirational tuners can learn a lot from tuned.

Matt doesn't look like your typical journalist but he is very entertaining and a really funny guy. He travels around America meeting people and many Tuner companies and reviews their prized creations. Matt has got good driving skills but it wont be like a Harris or Bovingdon video mainly because he is driving someone Else's loved and cared for car. But there are going to be lots of smokey burnouts though. He also does other channels like
"The Smoking Tire".

Here is the link

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...3719E30A9BDFBA

And of course a pic.

Attachment 1228620

These four are the best ones I currently know of. All of them are extremely competent and honest motoring journalists and like here in Team BHP if a car is crap, they will say it right to our face unlike our company sponsored T.V shows.

There are many other good channels too like Autocar, Carbuyer, Everyday driver..etc.

I hope this thread will be of use to some of you and hope you enjoy these videos.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 00:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Weekly car videos for enthusiasts : YouTube Channels worth subscribing to...

Thanks for the list. Also you've just gotta add Mighty Car Mods fairly simple to understand, humorous to the right amount and beautiful videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgJ...6XFxq9Ga8W2J3A
Old 5th January 2015, 12:09   #3
BHPian

YouTube Car Channels

As we all know, YouTube is a great platform where a plethora of channels exist that fuels our unnatural car-cravings.

The intention of starting this thread is to uncover all the great car channels that are on YouTube. It could be either Indian based or foreign based.

The channels could be of any category ; reviews, roadtrips, owners and their cas, car repairs, paintwork, etc. Basically anything related to cars !

Since YouTube is a global platform, i'm starting this thread on "The International Automotive Scene" chapter.

Mandatory content for new channel posts :

1. Name of the channel.
2. YouTuber(s) involved ; could be the names of the people or the company. ( If unknown, it's fine. )
3. Your personal reason for liking the channel ? ( Keep it simple )
4. 2 favourite video links from the channel. ( You might have many. Post 2 that you know for sure would get fellow Bhpians get interested)
5. Link to the channel page for subscription. ( The home section of the YouTube channel )
6. Screenshots of the page/video can be optional.
7. The side-headings must be in bold to ease navigation.

Any Bhpian that sees the need for another item on the list above can also pitch in his idea and it shall be taken seriously.

Now, i'd like to take the liberty of posting the first car channel on this thread.

Name of the channel :

Saabkyle04

YouTuber(s) involved :

Kyle Lindsey

Why do I like this channel ?

This guy specializes in "in-depth reviews" of cars. He covers each and every aspect of a car while reviewing the car. This guy covers things like the exhaust clips through the rev bands, the performance figures, what each button available in the car does, the seating adjustments, etc, just to name a few. His reviews are about 20 mins each on an average. And the variety of cars that he covers is immense. His car reviews range from Lamborghinis, Astons, Ferraris, AMGs, Porsches to even everyday cars like the Hyundais, Fords, etc. He's got it all. A really dedicated YouTuber and always provides quality content. Never misses the mark when it comes to his in-depth car reviews.

Two favourite videos :

Link to subscription page :

https://www.youtube.com/user/saabkyle04/featured

Screenshot(s) :

Look at the variety. We have cars ranging from the Chevy Avalanche to the Ferrari Enzo !

Weekly car videos for enthusiasts : YouTube Channels worth subscribing to...-screenshot-20150105-12.02.57.png

Weekly car videos for enthusiasts : YouTube Channels worth subscribing to...-screenshot-20150105-12.05.24.png
shoaib3030 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 13:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: YouTube Car Channels

Name of the channel :
PowerDrift

YouTuber(s) involved :
PowerDrift

Although not so in depth reviews, they give a neutral opinion on the reviews. The video edit and the music is something that keeps me glued to all their reviews and it's the best when it comes to the visual treat when compared to it's indian counterparts.

Two favorite videos :

Name of the channel :

Jay Leno's Garage

YouTuber(s) involved :
Jay Leno's Garage

One stop channel where you get to see all kinds of vehicles. Expert opinions from the automobile manufacturer for all reviews.

Two favorite videos :

Very hard to choose my favorite but here's one

naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 13:27   #5
BHPian

Re: YouTube Car Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Name of the channel :
PowerDrift

YouTuber(s) involved :
PowerDrift

Thanks for sharing ! Let's limit it to 1 channel per post though !
Old 5th January 2015, 14:59   #6
BHPian

Re: Weekly car videos for enthusiasts : YouTube Channels worth subscribing to...

The MH 48 S 1, was this from India? I recall somewhere in this forum this was mentioned...(found that on one of the videos in the above)

Last edited by sumathindra : 5th January 2015 at 15:12. Reason: edits
Old 5th January 2015, 15:06   #7
BHPian

Re: Weekly car videos for enthusiasts : YouTube Channels worth subscribing to...

I'm typing the post via my smartphone. So cannot post screenshots.

Name: Jafromobile

Youtuber: Jafromobile.

An expert of 4G63 DSM engines. Very informative engine build videos
Old 5th January 2015, 15:18   #8
BHPian

Not exactly a weekly video channel. Anyway, if first person POV driving is your thing, check this channel out

Winding Road Magazine:

https://www.youtube.com/user/windingroadmagazine

Here's a sample video:

Can't post screenshot ATM.
Old 5th January 2015, 23:27   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
The MH 48 S 1, was this from India? I recall somewhere in this forum this was mentioned...(found that on one of the videos in the above)
Yep, the car had participated in Gumball
Old 2nd April 2015, 23:50   #10
BHPian

Regular Car Reviews.

RCR reviews regular, everyday American cars that are mostly offered up to him by the people that follow him on Twitter.

All the videos have a vibe of parody around them, with most of them starting with the host singing a song in tribute to the car. They are peppered with innuendo, but the reviewer's knowledge and philosophical
analysis make up for that.

While they might start out sounding like parodies, most reviews are backed by a solid knowledge of the car being reviewed and the cultural impact of that car. They end up being a critique of not just the car and its manufacturer, but of Americana in general. The reviews are a great mix of humor, cynicism, philosophy, love for cars and a rather sublime analysis of consumerism in general.
They might not suit everyone's tastes, but are definitely worth checking out for a car enthusiast.

While it's not exactly a "regular car", this is one of my favorite reviews:
Regular Car Reviews: 2005 Lotus Elise:

Regular Car Reviews: 1996 Ford F-150 XL:
Regular Car Reviews 2007 Honda Accord:
Old 4th July 2016, 14:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: TV Schedules - Car Shows!!

If you're one of those completely disappointed with the 23rd Season of Top Gear, here are some videos on YouTube that I'd recommend by Alejandro Salomon (a film producer and a petrolhead). Do check 'em out:

Old 5th January 2017, 21:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Autogefuehl, a German channel with English reviews has some of the most detailed reviews, some around an hour long. The reviews include some 0-200 acceleration runs on the Autobahn. Really great channel.

Carfection, earlier known as XCAR, great videos and entertaining commentary. Its a good alternative to Carwow for entertainment value, Carwow still scores in terms of detailed reviews.
Old 5th March 2017, 19:23   #13
BHPian

I can't believe no one has mentioned Dough Demuro yet. Go check out his channel on youtube. It's definitely worth it (you'll know what I mean).

Link:-
Old 31st March 2017, 00:34   #14
BHPian

Meanwhile, my experiments !

Old 31st March 2017, 02:25   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I think every reviewer pales in comparison to the channel SavageGeese, not sponsored, self-filmed, very high detail and extremely neutral, he doesn't possess the hatred for any brand outside of American favourites and the quality of scripting and detail is on another level, much higher than the garbage television channels are churning out lately.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks