Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2014, 17:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Cop takes offence at my wearing shorts in a Police station

He probably had got some tongue lashing from a local politician and was angry when you got in. You just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Having said that, I wonder, if all the accused in the jail in that police station were dressed in formal shirts & trouser's, clean shaven, smelling of Hugo Boss!
Old 31st May 2014, 19:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cop takes offence at my wearing shorts in a Police station

I guess this is something peculiar to the government offices in TN. I know of a guy who went to BSNL office in 3/4's to get his MODEM programmed and received the same treatment meted out to you.

He kept calm and came back home, narrated the incident to his dad. His dad was a top honcho in BSNL and its anybody's guess to know what would have transpired next

The guy came home and apologized for crossing his line.

The cop has no business to talk about your upbringing and stuff. But it is always wise to understand these unwritten rules and abide by them to avoid such unprecedented confrontation in a conservative place like TN.

My two cents!
Old 31st May 2014, 20:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Dude, It was completely your mistake.
I know in this day and age, such things may seem stupid.
But in Police stations and courts, no matter what your business is, you have to follow the dress code. That is - Pant with shirt not tucked in, prescription glasses acceptable, slippers left at the door.
You can be anyone, but be prepared to get ragged if you try to dress or act smart (no pun). You have to behave humble.
I have had to go to court a few times for some paper work and to the police station too in the last 15 years. Always when I get out of my car, my shirt comes out and my shoes and socks are exchanged for a blue hawai slipper.
I may be an orthopedic surgeon with more money and education than the highest officer in the building, but I need the work done.
When they come to my clinic, they can see me in a tie and tapping away on my laptop.
Old 31st May 2014, 22:28   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
slippers left at the door.
Sorry sir, couldn't digest this. It is afterall an office where a common man works and not a temple. If they respect their work location in such a way, policemen them-self should leave their footwear outside.

It is we who create these non-sense rules, and make them feel like Lords. They always forget that they are paid to serve the public.
Old 31st May 2014, 23:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Sorry sir, couldn't digest this. It is afterall an office where a common man works and not a temple. If they respect their work location in such a way, policemen them-self should leave their footwear outside.

It is we who create these non-sense rules, and make them feel like Lords. They always forget that they are paid to serve the public.

I was asked to leave my shoes outside, once at a BSNL bill collection centre in thirivanmiyur and at a TATA showroom. I said ok and walked out. The Tata showroom is a shoe shop now, BSNL still exists I guess. Everytime i pass that side i see that same old man alone. If that is the case with BSNL,.. And I think we have this common man compelely off mark. A common man wouldnt have a passport in the first place.
Old 1st June 2014, 11:52   #36
BHPian

When I had gone for my license test several years ago (in shorts) I was told I was 'Not in full uniform' so had to come back the next day. Such is the madness. Oh and I'd not gone through an agent.
Old 1st June 2014, 12:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I agree to some extent being 'properly dressed', but since when shorts can be termed as improper attire during day time and that too for tropics? You can be decently dressed with shoes/ sandals wearing shorts and tee. But yes, for formal meetings, appointments in any office one must wear a more acceptable dress to look like you are there for a purpose and not merely for a stroll in the park. Even in forces shorts is an acceptable rig to be in on certain occasions. Plus we seem to be following the age old tradition of what is correct dress code from the Raj, not that I advocate visiting offices/ market in bikini shorts or Bermuda, but still.
Old 1st June 2014, 13:58   #38
Team-BHP Support

People in power often expect proper behavior from citizens, but don't return the favour.

I have two uncles who regularly visit a civil court over a long running property case. One of them is a 75 year old retired PWD officer himself. The other is a 62 year old retired GM of a nationalised bank. Both of them should be used to the culture, but are quite saddened by what they see.

They are often made to sit in the court for many hours on a bench without backrest. One has recurring hip pain, the other has back pain. If at any time they try to bend in any direction to relieve the numbness of sitting in that extremely uncomfortable bench, they get a rebuke from the judge or their own lawyer to sit properly and show respect. Both judge/lawyer are lot younger than my uncles.
Old 1st June 2014, 20:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
People in power often expect proper behavior from citizens, but don't return the favour.

I have two uncles who regularly visit a civil court over a long running property case. One of them is a 75 year old retired PWD officer himself. The other is a 62 year old retired GM of a nationalised bank. Both of them should be used to the culture, but are quite saddened by what they see.

They are often made to sit in the court for many hours on a bench without backrest. One has recurring hip pain, the other has back pain. If at any time they try to bend in any direction to relieve the numbness of sitting in that extremely uncomfortable bench, they get a rebuke from the judge or their own lawyer to sit properly and show respect. Both judge/lawyer are lot younger than my uncles.
That is the most absurd and oblivious behavior from a learned legal counsel. On a serious note their lawyer should actually apologize and appraise the judge. On a lighter vein ask your uncle to rebuke the lawyer whilst giving the fees.You know the law is blindfolded hence the judge too.
Old 1st June 2014, 21:36   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Today morning I had to go to my local Police Station to submit some documents related to my wife's passport background check.

Something seems to have miffed them. Dress, as though you are visiting your Visa interview. If that doesnt help, we do have a problem. Better luck next time.

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd June 2014 at 12:16. Reason: Please dont quote entire long post for a short reply. Next time will attract infraction. Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 09:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Dude, It was completely your mistake.
Before I experienced this, I never knew that PS' had such rules, hence it was totally unintentional. One thing which I could think of is - In a place where public are expected to visit, how can one impose such rules. As one fellow TBHPIAN pointed out, aren't the accused made to sit with their inners, where does this rule go then?
Old 2nd June 2014, 09:30   #42
Team-BHP Support

Remember, 20 years ago, you would not have even through of going to any government office in anything except formal clothing.

Remember - government offices are steeped in ancient protocol which has not changed,

First - in a situation of emergency/ urgency - the police will not bother as the breach of protocol is not intended

Second - I agree that personal remarks are unfounded, but remember you are attending a government office. Since we pay tax, one might consider them as servants of the people. Whatever you say, they do merit respect. It is not that we need to where a shirt or tie but a certain decorum is required

Three - The police already face a lot of disrespect and contempt from the powers above Why add to it

What does it take to slap on a pair of trousers ? Nothing!
Old 2nd June 2014, 12:00   #43
BHPian

I think this is one of those classic situations where you can debate all you want, till kingdom come, without reaching a consensus. One of those 'shades of grey' situations. He was not right and you were not wrong. Just treat it as an amusing experience and move on. Next time in a similar situation, you will be wiser to do the "appropriate" thing.
Old 3rd June 2014, 04:34   #44
BHPian

Came across this piece of news from Times of India...

Quote:
This time, the cops are taking down names and addresses of each person collecting the passes so that they can quickly zero in on troublemakers at Eden. Interestingly, they were also seen throwing out those not dressed properly.
For more information, please check the below link

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/35969487.cms
Old 3rd June 2014, 17:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Couple of months ago, 1-apr-14 (Tuesday) to be exact! - I walked into the local National Insurance branch to get the 3rd party policy of my car to be renewed. (Its a 1990 model and they dont do comprehensive on such old cars!)

It was the beginning of the Fiscal year and they were distributing sweets, etc and i walked upto a nincompoop and his 1st reaction was "where do you guys come from - 1st day of the fiscal year and a stupid 3rd party nuisance is the 1st customer of the year"!!

Had I had a choice I would have splat the milk peda (milk sweet) right across his face, but decided the policy was more important and walked out with the policy renewed!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks