Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2014, 12:15   #76
BHPian

Re: Cop takes offence at my wearing shorts in a Police station

Several decades ago, the policemen were wearing flaring half pants which can be seen in old movies.
The opening just above the knee is embarrassingly large.
Probably the new policemen should explain why this attire was abandoned.
Old 15th July 2014, 15:37   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
So then what is informal wear for women? Lingerie and nighties?
No, better let a woman describe that.
Old 15th July 2014, 15:43   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Chennai club denies entry to one of the sitting judges of the Madras High Court. Reason: He was wearing a dhoti.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/38225698.cms
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
This has happened in Bangalore Club a few times. A rule is a rule, and this is a private space
Actually, a private club cannot be racist. For example, you cannot form a private club and say only fair skinned people allowed.

Speaking of club rules.

Remember club is right to make a rule
Only FORMAL attire allowed
But they should not be allowed to make a rule
Only Western Formal attire allowed

I think that is the confusion. Most of these clubs are making rules about allowing only western formal attire, which is plain racist.
Old 15th July 2014, 16:52   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No, better let a woman describe that.
Any link like that for Indian female wear?
I am actually surprised at the "racist"ness of the widespread acceptance of only western wear as formal for men. But the same rule is bent to allow for women wearing indian wear!
Old 15th July 2014, 17:40   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Most of these clubs are making rules about allowing only western formal attire, which is plain racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I am actually surprised at the "racist"ness of the widespread acceptance of only western wear as formal for men. But the same rule is bent to allow for women wearing indian wear!
Gosh, which century are we living in? Pants/shirts/jackets are now universal wear, nothing western about it anymore. Do you guys have similar feelings about Cricket or Soccer?

I have never really worn the traditional Indian dress except for special occasion. For me pants and shirts are universal wear, because I can wear it almost anywhere in the world without feeling out of place. Japanese, who are most fanatic about preserving their culture, are extremely well dressed most of the time in pant/shirt/jacket. Naturally, they too think it is an universal dress.

Same goes for English. It is not a western language anymore. It is an universal language than works in most places. It is what I can use when I visit other states in India, or other countries in the world. It is the only common language we have India, that is why we use English on this forum. Nothing racist about it.
Old 15th July 2014, 21:20   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I think that is the confusion. Most of these clubs are making rules about allowing only western formal attire, which is plain racist.
Selective - yes, racist no, membership of the clubs are ope to all races, caste or religion!
Old 15th July 2014, 22:38   #82
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT

Once or twice a year, offices invite their employees to come in "ethnic" wear... Guess what?

All 3500 men come in kurta/pyjama with a dupatta - duh! If i got it right there was nothing called a designer shiny bling kurta before 100 years!!

Mallu boyz do it best by coming in mundu at every ethnic day.
Old 15th July 2014, 23:03   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, a private club cannot be racist. .
You have got to be kidding. So the KKK (Ku Klux Kan) is not racist?

Of course, a private club can be as racist as the next guy. Racism knows, unfortunately, no borders.

ON the matter of dress code; I'm really surprised to see such a large division between men and women here in India. It seems that Indian men, largely, go western style and the women, largely, go / remain Indian. At least if my office is anything to go by. All the guys were suits (and or jeans and western shirt) but still a fairly large of the female employees wear traditional dress.

Funnily, my (very western) wife nearly always wears Indian traditional dress 7 days of the week and gets complimented for it all the time. I'm a little bit more conformistic (is that a word?) as I have customers to content with, but in my free time I will not wear jeans because I find linnen pants and a kurta far more flattering and pleasant. Why are Indian men obsessed with western dress?

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 15th July 2014 at 23:10.
Old 15th July 2014, 23:08   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
You have got to be kidding. So the KKK (Ku Klux Kan) is not racist?

Of course, a private club can be as racist as the next guy. Racism knows, unfortunately, no borders.

Jeroen
I meant, that private clubs can set any rules, but they cannot make any rules which are racist as per law
Old 15th July 2014, 23:21   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I meant, that private clubs can set any rules, but they cannot make any rules which are racist as per law
In theory maybe not, but in practice they do it all the time. This is one of the big dilemma's of modern democracies.

And I do hope you would agree with me, that the KKK is a private club, and they are racist, and they are perfectly within the law these days!

In my home country, the Netherlands, there is a very successful politician by the name of Geert Wilders. He heads up a very successful political party. Many of his political opponents would call him an extremist and racist. ( I certainly would). But to prove that in a court of law is something different all together.

I would like to think, that whatever you wear, is your own preference. Whether I like or approve is a matter of personal preference of taste (or lack there of). Truth be told, in commercial relationships, you do need to be wary of what you wear. What you wear says something about the company that you represent, so you better get it right! So yes, I will dress for the occasion, business wise, socially or otherwise.

Jeroen
Old 16th July 2014, 11:42   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Gosh, which century are we living in? Pants/shirts/jackets are now universal wear, nothing western about it anymore. Do you guys have similar feelings about Cricket or Soccer?

I have never really worn the traditional Indian dress except for special occasion. For me pants and shirts are universal wear, because I can wear it almost anywhere in the world without feeling out of place. Japanese, who are most fanatic about preserving their culture, are extremely well dressed most of the time in pant/shirt/jacket. Naturally, they too think it is an universal dress.

Same goes for English. It is not a western language anymore. It is an universal language than works in most places. It is what I can use when I visit other states in India, or other countries in the world. It is the only common language we have India, that is why we use English on this forum. Nothing racist about it.
I am just bewildered (as much a Jeroen below) at the difference between what is considered as formal wear for a man compared to what is considered as a formal wear for a woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
ON the matter of dress code; I'm really surprised to see such a large division between men and women here in India. It seems that Indian men, largely, go western style and the women, largely, go / remain Indian. At least if my office is anything to go by. All the guys were suits (and or jeans and western shirt) but still a fairly large of the female employees wear traditional dress.

Funnily, my (very western) wife nearly always wears Indian traditional dress 7 days of the week and gets complimented for it all the time. I'm a little bit more conformistic (is that a word?) as I have customers to content with, but in my free time I will not wear jeans because I find linnen pants and a kurta far more flattering and pleasant. Why are Indian men obsessed with western dress?

Jeroen
Old 16th July 2014, 15:12   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
In lighter vein, OP should have told the police he was from the RSS, and this was their weekend attire

Sorry OP, sometimes I too get pissed by the sight of dudes wearing half pants in malls and on roads, as if whole world is their home and they have right to roam around in whatever they wish to wear. Still, it doesn't give me right to shout at them! You can either take up this matter with seniors at the station, or better you can forget about it and continue with your life.
Bwahahahaha, that seriously had me ROTFL. Would have been great to say that. Maybe OP should have gone back home, get on some kakhi shorts and white shirt on and come back. Cop would have saluted him.

But anyways - something to break the monotony of the day.
Old 14th August 2014, 09:31   #88
BHPian

As per the news article published in Marathi daily 'Lokmat', wearing shorts/bermudas have been officially banned by Mumbai Traffic Police in their headquarter.

There is a notice displayed at the entrance which instructs visitors to be dressed formally.

As per the Additional Commissioner of Police (Traffic): "This decision has been taken in the interest of maintaining office decorum and discipline. We do serious work here and some etiquette's should be followed while visiting this place. This is equally applicable for Policemen and their friends/relatives as well."

Source: http://www.lokmat.com/storypage.php?...newsid=1916904
Old 14th August 2014, 22:47   #89
Senior - BHPian

Folks, no offence to anyone here, but, I agree that shorts is way too casual or even borderline disgraceful to be in a place like police station, court, etc. They are not asking us to wear formals.

But yeah, the lecture about parents not teaching principles is not good.
Old 14th August 2014, 23:57   #90
Senior - BHPian

I like the way the police man said "He started saying "Do you go to your office in this kind of a dress? This is also an office why have you come like this?"

Its their office. My father had stopped me from going to police station in shorts saying, thats a little disrespectful. He is a govt servant and an ex service man.

Nothing to get offended here. Just understand a police work. It is actually so easy to comment on their job but its not rosy for them either. They need to handle so many nuisance that they actually respect the educated ones and one of the give aways for them is the dress. Dressed appropriate the treatment is quite different. They do have their own kids who are growing and they are struggling to make them one of us probably and they want to feel proud to say the kids grown up well.

He has no rights to bring in your upbringing. But there is now way he is getting into your nerves without bringing that up.

I am not saying police is good and great in our country. But they are there to help. I am sure many will support here that they are some of the best people when you go for help to resolve your issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks