Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2014, 15:42   #61
BHPian

Re: Cop takes offence at my wearing shorts in a Police station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Lots of police personnel come from rural background, and they may have similar thoughts about shorts. As a result, they might feel that the visitor to the police station is in his underwear.

How else can we interpret their disgust with shorts?
Talking about your point, there are so called educated people in Bangalore who dont know the difference between shorts and underwear.

Multiple times I have seen guys wearing "Boxers" or "Boxer Shorts" and going about getting groceries etc from supermarkets and even malls..
They don't understand the difference between shorts and underwear.

Old 16th June 2014, 15:56   #62
BHPian

Quote:
As soon as I went inside and met the PC who was supposed to recieve the documents, he had a look at me and started screaming at me. Any guesses why he screamed at me? I was wearing a knee length shorts and a T shirt. My dress was offending to him it seems. He started saying "Do you go to your office in this kind of a dress?
Seems like I was not the only one.

The exact same thing, word to word had happened to me two years ago. I was in my final year and gone along with my friend to get his police verification done for his project in HAL. I was wearing a shorts as well .

I actually planned on waiting outside, but my friend dragged me inside the station. The sub-inspector in-charge took one look at me and said:

SI: Enno chaddi ali bandhidiya ?. chaddi udirsi holage hakbidtini.
(You in shorts ?. I will strip you and put you in jail)

I was shocked and couldn't retort anything. When my friend's mom came to know of this, she was extremely angry.

Looks like all the police in India are tarred with the same brush.
Old 16th June 2014, 16:29   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How else can we interpret their disgust with shorts?
Not sure how they could be disgusted with shorts because until few decades back, TN police including the rank of inspector had to wear half pants (not pants) as their uniform.
It was done away with by TN's matinee idol and probably its most popular Chief Minister, MG Ramachandran during his reign and one who had to wear it uncomfortably during his acting days.

Last edited by DWind : 16th June 2014 at 16:34.
Old 16th June 2014, 18:05   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Multiple times I have seen guys wearing "Boxers" or "Boxer Shorts" and going about getting groceries etc from supermarkets and even malls..
They don't understand the difference between shorts and underwear.
Exactly! I have talked about this earlier here.

Underwear: http://www.jockeyindia.com/style/237...er-shorts.aspx
Bermuda: http://www.jockeyindia.com/style/181...s/bermuda.aspx
Shorts: http://www.jockeyindia.com/style/178...rt-shorts.aspx

Many people do wear Underwear instead of the other two in public.

Last edited by Samurai : 16th June 2014 at 18:07.
Old 16th June 2014, 23:49   #65
BHPian

went through almost all the posts in the thread.
Some makes sense and are absolutely right. We must be matured enough to dress according to place and occasion. that's basic manners.
and then I read few posts which does not make any sense at all. No hard feeling though: removing footwear outside police station and courts? They are public servants, not religious bodies and idols where we need to remove footwear and then enter. Also, some pointed out how some people go out in 3/4ths and bermudas. how does it matter to anyone as how someone is dressing up? and If a poor man has to go to such places and does not have the so called formal attire, what is he supposed to do? Rather than pointing out at cloths, people should be more concerned about their work quality. and how well and clean out police is, is no secret.
Old 17th June 2014, 15:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

This is another ridiculous incident that I never imagined could occur, but I'm not surprised it did.

If I was you, instead of keeping mum I might have even said sorry because the first priority is to get the job done and somebody trying to get off on my defeated ego is more than welcome, only I know how to not let such things affect my ego at all. They think that they are winning, I know I'm better than that loser, its a win-win situation for both!

If you were actually paying that guy for any service I'm sure he wouldn't care how you are dressed. Discotheques didn't have the 'shoes must' policy since the beginning but they realized that they wanted people to dress up (to ensure good crowd, or at least good looking by whatever margin it improves) and since there was no dearth of customers they decided to enforce it.

Even shopkeepers would turn away customers if they were obscenely dressed but if anybody is getting paid to service someone, they don't really care how improperly you are dressed till the time you don't look obscene. We all know how sincere our govt. officials are so expecting a polite response is really taking your hopes high. Not to mention that they are not getting paid (directly by you) so whatever they do is an obligation and not their duty, why don't we understand this, its pretty simply, ain't it?! Now while they are obliging us if they give us an earful its absolutely ok, why make a fuss about it. I think everybody gets the point so no point in elaborating this further.

To the OP, you did right by avoiding any argument. Who knows what it could've escalated in to and there are some people who are simply not worth your extra time or effort. While there are a lot of people who would've loved to teach that cop a lesson, regular folks can't afford that. If you wish to be another hero, be prepared to sacrifice a lot (or everything) in trying to get your fundamental rights as a citizen or consumer, your choice!
Old 12th July 2014, 04:09   #67
BHPian

Chennai club denies entry to one of the sitting judges of the Madras High Court. Reason: He was wearing a dhoti.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/38225698.cms
Old 12th July 2014, 10:18   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Chennai club denies entry to one of the sitting judges of the Madras High Court. Reason: He was wearing a dhoti.

This has happened in Bangalore Club a few times. A rule is a rule, and this is a private space
Old 12th July 2014, 10:49   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
This has happened in Bangalore Club a few times. A rule is a rule, and this is a private space
But these so called clubs in Chennai were started during pre-independence days and this no-dhoti rule was formed then to the prevent entry of people belonging to lower strata, probably to please British. White dhoti is part and parcel of the culture of people of Tamil Nadu and Kerala and I find continuing this ban even today, a bit surprising. But, as you said, rule is a rule, as long as it serves its purpose!
Old 15th July 2014, 05:27   #70
BHPian

Quote:

The Chennai club faces action for denying entry to the Judge.

Here is the link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/38387631.cms
Old 15th July 2014, 08:48   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

Quote:
The Chennai club faces action for denying entry to the Judge.

Here is the link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/38387631.cms
Yes Totally, Tomorrow someone will try wearing a dothi to work. How would the managers react ? A rule is a Rule.
Old 15th July 2014, 08:52   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Yes Totally, Tomorrow someone will try wearing a dothi to work. How would the managers react ? A rule is a Rule.
I work in a top sw development company. People can and do wear dhoti, shorts, sarees and skirts.
They work hard and THAT is all that matters.
Old 15th July 2014, 09:05   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I work in a top sw development company. People can and do wear dhoti, shorts, sarees and skirts.
In my work life so far, I have had the chance to work at 3 companies and know people from a lot more. There are instances where you are 'allowed' to wear the traditional attire to work but mostly Formals in the weekdays and Business Casuals in the weekends.

I have worked for a firm which allowed anything proper (not shorts) to work as long as it is professional and neat be it formals or business casuals. However in my humble opinion we Indians tend to stretch the idea of casuals a lot and everything passes off as casuals, hence more and more firms are almost defining what can be worn.

I wish that people and the management had the sense that its the work that matters the most but employees too need to understand that they need to look presentable.

As far as this case is concerned, I kind of believe he should have worn a proper attire in the first place but shouting on the person does not help either. A quiet word would have been enough. But hey, we are Indians, when did we ever so something in a subtle manner?

Last edited by pratyush6 : 15th July 2014 at 09:07.
Old 15th July 2014, 09:06   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Different organizations different rules
In some "other" sectors they are very strict about Dress code
Old 15th July 2014, 11:10   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
There are instances where you are 'allowed' to wear the traditional attire to work but mostly Formals in the weekdays and Business Casuals in the weekends.

Let me take an exception and highlight to you the sheer idiocy of the whole concept.

Formals for men = shirts, trousers, ties, blazer/coat (basically western wear only)
"Informals" for men = all traditional wear

Formals for women = ??? ... business suit? How many women you know who wear this or shirts and trousers?
Most organizations allow saris and salwar suit thing as a "formal wear".

So then what is informal wear for women? Lingerie and nighties?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks