Team-BHP - Life on a Razor Edge...Shaving the retro way
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Life on a Razor Edge...Shaving the retro way (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/152507-life-razor-edge-shaving-retro-way-7.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 (Post 4596658)
Still on look out for godrej shaving round. Please let know if anyone can help.

Have you checked with your local Chemist? I stay at Dadar and I have seen Godrej Shaving Rounds at a chemist called Swami Samarth on Ranade Road next to Sujata Restaurant.

As for me, after a 10 year hiatus with Merkur short handle and Feather Butterfly long handle, I have given up on DE shaving and moved to commercial disposable mach3 types.

Reasons: 1) Time taken for 3 passes with a DE blade against 2 passes on commercial variants.

I have tried most of the DE blades, right from a Topaz to imported Feather, Wilkinson sword, etc and after a while my skin starts rejecting the blade, thus resulting in cuts and a lousy shave thereafter. I shave daily and 3 passes would consume a lot of time + plus pre shave prepping + post shave cleaning of tools, would consume atleast 30 minutes total in completing my ablutions.

2) I have managed to get atleast 15-20 days on a single mach3 blade, so the cost doesn't pinch anymore. Ofcourse,nothing to beat the DE blade cost/shave, but then again considering time + convenience, I caved in.

I still moisturise my face and use a brush to lather up with my long handle Boar brush, so haven't gone completely modern with respect to the habits.

Another resource for Boar Brushes, Shaving Creams and Rounds, Razor stands and Bulk DE blades are 2-3 shops in Mumbai near Elphinstone Station Bridge. Once you come down on that Bridge walking towards Parel TT, there are a couple of shops on the left, that sell 'Beauty Parlour' and Saloon supplies. It is a shoppers haven for traditional shavers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 4593909)
I'd heard of it but finally got my hands on the 'Italian' Denim Shaving Cream. The lather is really rich and the shave, perfect! Look out for the MADE IN ITALY tubes

Was the defacto shaving cream and aftershave at my home when I grew up - my dad is a big fan of Denim cream and aftershaves. I really liked the Musk and Denim Black fragrances in the aftershave range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 (Post 4596658)
Hi,

Still on look out for godrej shaving round. Please let know if anyone can help.

Godrej shaving rounds are available in most supermarkets, but if you are looking for a block of good shaving soap, give Trigodon a try. Easily available in Amazon. I use the Trigodon Wild Seas and am a very satisfied customer.

--Anoop

I was using a Gillette Mach 3 Razor following which I'm using a Dorco Pace 4 shaving razor currently. I would like to switch to Single DE shaving razors. Could anyone kindly suggest any particular brand or model to start with?

Decent DE are no longer made in India, only company that comes to my mind is Parker, which is expensive. Most of them available are rebranded ones being sold. I use my grandpa’s.

To start you off, Buy the Gillette 7 O Clock Razor - Sterling, it is cheap and does the work. I use Wilkinson’s Blades, they are cheap and give a good shave. Once you have some experience, see if you can source old Gillete shavers, else Parker, an Indian company that makes pretty good DEs. Parker 24C is a good beginner DE. Not sure of the cost in India. You can later move on to more aggressive DE. I have also heard good things about BAILI BD176, this is available on AliExpress.
For Creams, you are spoiled for choice in India, my Fav Biotique Bio Palmyra. Please use the cup and brush method to build up the lager. The 15rs, Godrej, shaving soap is very very good, a bit dry, but I love it.

Brush- Boar bristle or Badger bristle are recommended, however, I use synthetic brush for Humane reasons

Look up the Bombay Shaving Company. They have beginners kits. The Feather ones are the 'starting range', but do the job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adi.mariner (Post 4604960)
suggest any particular brand or model to start with?

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorpsycho (Post 4605917)

To start you off, Buy the Gillette 7 O Clock Razor - Sterling, it is cheap and does the work. I use Wilkinson’s Blades, they are cheap and give a good shave. Once you have some experience,

All good recommendations, except I will recommend the green 7 O'clock Permasharps. they are excellent, easily available. For me they are better than the black 7 O'clock super platinums. All Indian Shaving creams are excellent. Old spice, Dettol, Park Avenue, Nivea, Godrej all are excellent.

Thank you motorpsycho, Sebring and archat68 for the suggestions. I have ordered the Bombay Shaving Company's 6 part kit (Feather) from Amazon. It had most of the items required and was available as a kit.

Well, motorpsycho! I too use Godrej shaving cup -- most convenient ! Tried many creams in youth, and came back to Godrej shaving stick -- was even more user friendly -- rub over wet face and apply wet brush. But when that was not available any more, I switched to the cup. I prefer boar bristles as they can be used with hot water in winter, having ruined my first nylon bristles that way !

And Wilkinson Sword is my favourite blade too, used with the chrome-plated brass one-piece I had purchased at a CSD canteen in 1970 or '71 for Rs.2.60 ! That razor is so precious that I do not take it out, and my travel kit has the standard sandwich blades with the black plastic handle.

I am on DE for the last few years. Gillette 7 O Clock Razor - Sterling, Wilkinson Sword blades, Godrej (now Cinthol branded) menthol shaving cream, Gillete brush and Biotique after shave. Have also tried Patanjali's shaving cream which is pretty good. Occasionally clean the face with an alum post a shave to cleanse the skin. Works nice for oily skins

Once you get the hang of it, DE gives a much closer shave than all the multi-blade stuff but it can be unforgiving. Super Max blades were good earlier but the quality has gone down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny (Post 4609517)
Well, motorpsycho! I too use Godrej shaving cup -- most convenient !

And Wilkinson Sword is my favourite blade too, used with the chrome-plated brass one-piece I had purchased at a CSD canteen in 1970 or '71 for Rs.2.60 .

I came across the cake soap on international forums, mentioning it to be very good. Unfortunately it is not widely available. Is it a norm that most armed forces personell use DE for shaving, my uncle, a Retd Wing Cdr also uses only DE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorpsycho (Post 4611542)
I Is it a norm that most armed forces personell use DE for shaving, my uncle, a Retd Wing Cdr also uses only DE.

Its definitely higher up on the manly scale, beaten only by the contraption used by professional barbers.

At the time your uncle started shaving, DE was all there was, not the 10 blade monstrosity we have now.

And once you go DE, you never go back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 4611570)
And once you go DE, you never go back.

Totally agree, nothing comes close to a DE, also way cheaper. I use a Shavette to shave, would love to have a proper straight razor, however I lack the honing skills necessary to maintain it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorpsycho (Post 4611620)
Totally agree, nothing comes close to a DE, also way cheaper. I use a Shavette to shave, would love to have a proper straight razor, however I lack the honing skills necessary to maintain it.

Well, I started with my father's retired straight edge (cutthroat) razor, relying on others to sharpen it on the back of a leather belt. Got a deep gash once, trying to trim the edge of sidelocks, hence bought the one-piece from the canteen. It was state-of-the-art then, as most razors for double edged blades came in three-pieces - the top and bottom supports for the blade had to be screwed into the handle. This design is still available in cheap plastic, sold by pavement hawkers for those who need a razor in an emergency, or while travelling.

The cutthroat's design has been preserved by the hairdressers who break and fit half a DE blade into the holder (only part different from the earlier re-polishable blade), to satisfy disposable-hygiene consciousness of modern times. Is it the same everywhere in the country ?

The height of economy was a guy I used to watch shaving in my youth -- a BHARAT blade (cheapest Indian brand those days) fitted on a twig serving as the razor, and LIFEBUOY soap lathered by hand ! And he used to do it with such dexterity !

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny (Post 4612483)
The cutthroat's design has been preserved by the hairdressers who break and fit half a DE blade into the holder (only part different from the earlier re-polishable blade), to satisfy disposable-hygiene consciousness of modern times. Is it the same everywhere in the country ?

Yes it is still the same in Mumbai and Pune with what I have experienced. But it is better to get a shave in the local hair cutting shop rather than an expensive salon. The expensive hair "stylists" do not have the necessary skills to shave properly using a straight edge razor (many people opting for beard styling only rather than a clean shave).

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny (Post 4612483)

I do not go to a barber, who cannot handle a Shavette/ Disposable balde Straight Razor. Most of the expensive barber shops do not use Shavettes, but electric trimmers. The smaller ones still use Shavettes, most of the rural area it is rare to see barbers use electric trimmers.

India, along with Pakistan are the biggest manufactueres of Shavettes. I have used Lalwani Brand and Mylove, both pretty decent.

I purchased boar bristle brush, but it shed like crazy and stopped using it. Also, Biotique Bio Palmyra was a amazing product now stopped.