Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2014, 12:55   #1
BHPian

The Sim (simulated) Racing Thread

Most of us have played Need For Speed and other arcade games, but today we are a setup ahead in simulation technologies. Tons of simulators are on the market right now which offer precise simulation.

There are simulator enviourments such as:
  • Assetto Corsa (Circuit Racing / Drifting / Drag Racing)
  • Project C.A.R.S.
  • LFS (Live For Speed) (Rallycross / Circuit Racing)
  • iRacing (NASCAR/INDY and a few more)
  • Richard Burns Rally
  • rFactor 2
  • RACE 07
  • Game Stock Car
  • F1 2013 (More like arcade, doesnt have real life physics.)
  • Gran Turismo (More like arcade, doesnt have real life physics.)
  • Forza (More like arcade, doesnt have real life physics.)

Logitech offers really high quality hardware at affordable prices for these simulators. To get started you need a PC and a racing wheel. Racing wheel costs between Rs. 2500 to Rs. 30000. There are high performance rigs too for industrial use but they cost upload 1 crore.

Anyone who is interested in motorsports and wants to learn, practice and race should look into this.

The racing simulation software's have a very complex physics engine which simulates almost everything including tire flexing, tire temp, body contact, traction. You can even modify the car setup to great lengths.

Anyone who wants to start sim racing can contact me. I will be happy to help and guide him to the sim racing scene.

I have a Logitech G27 racing wheel with H pattern stick shifter. I am currently active on two simulator softwares. Live For Speed & Assetto Corsa.

If someone here is already into sim racing, please contact me.

I will update this thread with more information as soon.

UPDATE 1: Here is a video of Assetto Corsa's technology preview

UPDATE 2: Formula SimRacing is a big racing league, here is a playback of a live broadcast of a raceday
Thanks

Last edited by muditgrover : 30th July 2014 at 13:03.
muditgrover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 12:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The Sim (simulated) Racing Thread

You have missed GTR. Used to play GTR and live for speed few years back with Xbox360 controller. These games are actually more fun if you try online multilayer.
Old 30th July 2014, 13:01   #3
BHPian

re: The Sim (simulated) Racing Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
You have missed GTR. Used to play GTR and live for speed few years back with Xbox360 controller. These games are actually more fun if you try online multilayer.
I have only listed a few which were on my mind. There tons of simulator softwares. Simulator racing can be only done well with a racing wheel.

Remember the Blackwood track of LFS? and the Formula BMW? We regularly do FB02 races on [MRc] server.

I will upload a recording of my LFS hotlap.

Cheers!

Last edited by muditgrover : 30th July 2014 at 13:05.
Old 30th July 2014, 16:07   #4
BHPian

Re: The Sim (simulated) Racing Thread

Great info, thanks for this thread. If anyone can advice on which racing wheels (like logitech g27 / logitech gt) would be good for home use , it would really help. I play on the ps3 regularly and would love to use this for games such as Grand Tourismo 5 & F1 2013. There are quite a few varieties of gaming wheels and it would be helpful if there are some pointers by simulation experts / game gurus on which one to go in for in terms of price & performance.
Old 30th July 2014, 16:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

I play Assetto Corsa with a G27 at home. Bought it at one of those steam sales for 15 bucks. Its a superb sim and the closest thing to the real deal I've experienced. The way the tyres behave and lose traction is just incredible. It also has the best 458 Italia experience out there beside being in the real car. The other game i'd love to try is iRacing. However the costs are a bit exhorbitant and thats what sways me away from it.

If you want a good sim racing wheel, the only realistically priced option is a G27. See if you can find one used. I got a 2 year old hardly used preowned one for 8k. Was a stunning deal.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 30th July 2014 at 16:23.
Old 30th July 2014, 17:40   #6
BHPian

Well this was something i was looking forward to starting a thread on. I use DGFT(previously) and the G27 nowadays. iRacing, RFactor, GTR2 are some of the sims i am using currently.
Old 30th July 2014, 20:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Great info, thanks for this thread. If anyone can advice on which racing wheels (like logitech g27 / logitech gt) would be good for home use , it would really help. I play on the ps3 regularly and would love to use this for games such as Grand Tourismo 5 & F1 2013. There are quite a few varieties of gaming wheels and it would be helpful if there are some pointers by simulation experts / game gurus on which one to go in for in terms of price & performance.
G27 is the best wheel at its price. Try to find a used one on olx/quickr. Also, you can try Live For Speed to get a feel of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I play Assetto Corsa with a G27 at home. Bought it at one of those steam sales for 15 bucks. Its a superb sim and the closest thing to the real deal I've experienced. The way the tyres behave and lose traction is just incredible. It also has the best 458 Italia experience out there beside being in the real car. The other game i'd love to try is iRacing. However the costs are a bit exhorbitant and thats what sways me away from it.

If you want a good sim racing wheel, the only realistically priced option is a G27. See if you can find one used. I got a 2 year old hardly used preowned one for 8k. Was a stunning deal.
8k for a barely used G27 is a DEAL! I paid 20k for mine.

Car handling is pretty good in Assetto Corsa no doubt, so are the graphics.

I tried iracing, didnt like the physics engine though and yeah, its pretty expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Well this was something i was looking forward to starting a thread on. I use DGFT(previously) and the G27 nowadays. iRacing, RFactor, GTR2 are some of the sims i am using currently.
Glad to see an active sim racer

Try the LFS Demo, if you guys want I can setup a Team BHP Racing League on LFS.

So happy to see people interested in sim racing on teambhp
Old 30th July 2014, 21:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

I too own a G27, bought a used one for 9K. Also, have made a PVC rig for it, just need a suitable car seat. Will be joining Assetto Corsa soon. Any tips?
Old 30th July 2014, 21:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I too own a G27, bought a used one for 9K. Also, have made a PVC rig for it, just need a suitable car seat. Will be joining Assetto Corsa soon. Any tips?
Best tip would be only use ABS as driving aid. Else it will be too easy to drive and you wont get a feel of it.

Download LFS Demo and pm me your handle. I will help you get started.

Whoever has assetto corsa, pm me.. I will send you a list of new tracks and cars which you can download.

Thanks and Regards

Last edited by muditgrover : 30th July 2014 at 21:25.
Old 30th July 2014, 21:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muditgrover View Post
Best tip would be only use ABS as driving aid. Else it will be too easy to drive and you wont get a feel of it.

Download LFS Demo and pm me your handle. I will help you get started.

Whoever had assetto corsa, pm me.. I will send you a list of new tracks and cars which you can download.

Thanks and Regards
Will PM you once I am on the above two games. Personally, I did'nt like Forza at all, it is too difficult to drift with controller, rest every other thing is boring, too much customizations makes the a part-timer loose interest. Will definitely be needing help with Assetto and LFS.
Old 1st August 2014, 11:35   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hi can you share some more details on the PVC rig, was interested to come up with a similar setup
Old 1st August 2014, 21:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Hi can you share some more details on the PVC rig, was interested to come up with a similar setup
Yes sure. You can google "Simul8r Gamin Rig" you will get every bit of information. If you find any difficulty then I will post you with the details.
Old 17th August 2014, 14:19   #13
BHPian

had to share this..
Old 19th August 2014, 09:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes sure. You can google "Simul8r Gamin Rig" you will get every bit of information. If you find any difficulty then I will post you with the details.
Thanks for the pointer - I went through the details and have built a PVC rig based on simul8r design (some variations). Details posted here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3507586
Old 19th August 2014, 09:38   #15
BHPian

Have played lot of race simulators but right now my favorite is "Spin Tires 2014" created by some unknown developers but gained lot of popularity with the full version release.

Major fun part is multiplayer capability where 4 other players can join and start offroading in heavy Russian trucks. One guy sucks and others help with available tools like motored winch etc. Though its equally fun in the single player as well.

Its a very realistic off roading simulator.
I am addicted to it

Not sure if offroading simulator is also eligible in this thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks