Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2014, 13:50   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Confessions of a novice trying to imitate a detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
You, sir, have created a legend here.
I propose, and most members here will agree, that this post should get a thread, and go for a battle for King of the hill with Mr. Hanky Panky.

PS: Also waiting for Rudra Sen's reply here. I'm sure its being drafted.
The Hanky-Panky thread was epic, not just for the OP but the responses. There were some 'death by ' ideas there.

Rudra isn't going to take this lying down now, is he?
Old 20th August 2014, 17:38   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Confessions of a novice trying to imitate a Detailer!

Mod Note: By popular demand, Secretariat's post (and replies) have been moved to a new thread
Old 20th August 2014, 17:51   #18
BHPian

So finally this topic gets its dedicated thread.

I am sure many who tried their hands on washing and applying wax leave alone a full detailing would resonate with what is mentioned above, right from firing the cleaning guy, to feeling every bone and muscle in the body.
Old 20th August 2014, 18:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
I guess I just wasn’t meant to be a detailer !
Reading this a tad late, i guess. I haven't recovered yet.
Thanks secretariat.

I know how it feels. Numerous times I have chased the apartment cleaner when he came forward to do the job. I actually have felt proud on doing this myself.
There is the other side of the coin too. Lucky that i didn't take rudra's cleaning post to the car itself. Some water, shampoo, cloth and newspaper does for me!
Old 20th August 2014, 19:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

I got to admit too, reading the thread from Rudra, I tried a little detailing on my own and ended up with a LOT of swirl marks than what as there earlier. Lesson learnt and I have stayed away from trying to be a detail-er even since.

Secretariat- you have a penache for humor and I was trying to control my laughter while reading your thread.

My wife thinks, I spend a lot more time taking care of cleaning my car than I take care of self.
Old 20th August 2014, 19:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

Haha, very well written.

I had been to the BMW-Rolls Royce Museum at Munich recently. I couldn't help but notice how bad the paint looked on these cars, I could have detailed those beauties for free.

Swirls and holograms on a Rolls in the museum :(

Confessions of a novice trying to imitate a Detailer!-img_20131124_154301001.jpg
Old 20th August 2014, 19:49   #22
BHPian

Lovely Lovely write up. I completely feel connected although thankfully I was not brave enough to buy this much amount of stuff. I realised that in our country the worst that thing that can happen to a man is 'Car Detailing phobia'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
This has to be the best joke of 2014 on TBHP.

I realised that I was not born to be a detailer long time ago and so happily pay 3M guys even though the prices seems high.

So is the basement boy with his rag manufactured in 1629 and a loo bucket with a black liquid of indeterminate origin back in business?
Get well Soon Secretariat
I did the same. Once or twice in a month I just go to 3M and spend the hard earned money on getting the car caressed. But a man has got to do what a man has got to do. If my dad gets to know of my car cleaning budget in a year he would simply faint. A lot of people dont have this much EMIs for their cars.

And mind you after all this, my car is so full of swirls that I have almost stopped posting her pictures on the forum out of shame.

Last edited by manson : 20th August 2014 at 20:37. Reason: Please limit yourself to two smilies per post.
Old 20th August 2014, 20:33   #23
BHPian

Once upon a time, many many months ago, bought a bottle of Meguiars Shampoo and decided to tell the watchman to stop his so-called 'washing' and try my hand with the stuff. Not being used to such labour, sacked the evil thought, and there lies the Meguiars filled just below the brim
Old 20th August 2014, 21:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Car paints are sensitive you know. In any case, hair shampoos have long disappeared from yours truly’s bathroom on account of the fact that the item of the anatomy they are supposed to clean has also vanished.
Hilarious!

Quote:

So armed with all the knowledge and waving a piece of plastic, I acquired Jopasu Duster, Armor all Wash and Wax, Carpro Ironx , Elastrofoam Clay, Scholls A15 Polish, Scholls W6 crystal wax , Scholls neo, ONR Wash and Wax, Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus, Meguiar Gold Class Leather Cleaner, Collinite 845, Wash Mitts, Water Magnet, and 57 separate Micro Fibre cloths. For good measure, I also bought a suitcase (with wheels) to carry all this stuff.
That's awesome! You really have all the stuff in there for professional detailing. I use the collinite 845, its difficult to work with (in summer especially) but its worth the effort. It lasts a long time. I have used Armor all, they are good but be careful of fakes out there.

ONR - Ah yes this is the one I use daily, simple and effective solution for most bird droppings.

Quick Question: I am considering getting the carpro ironx - Can you tell me where I can source it from? Can you please share pictures from its use, even though I have already seen some on several threads?

Quote:

There are 642 muscles in the human body. Every single one of them is aching as I lie prostrate on bed typing this post.

I guess I just wasn’t meant to be a detailer !
Good things have difficult starts, you will get along just fine. Thanks for your post, I enjoyed reading it.
Old 20th August 2014, 21:20   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Once or twice in a month I just go to 3M and spend the hard earned money on getting the car caressed.
Rachit Dogra, where do you get your 3M job done in Gurgaon Sir. Ball park what does it cost.Thanks.
Old 20th August 2014, 21:25   #26
BHPian

Quote:
If I ever see Rudra Sen in the flesh, I will sock him in the eye !
@ Rudra Sen - Run for your Life or Come and Face your destiny...

That is one hilarious Post.

I very firmly agree to the statement "Time is money". To relate to this thread, had Secretariat gone to a 3M showroom, he would have saved all the time and efforts put in by you (No credit being taken away for the efforts and the dedication for doing the detailing stuff yourself).

I am one of those persons who would just walk into a 3M showroom. Tell them to do all the stuff, pay them and walk out. I really don't have the patience and time to do the stuff myself.

P.S.: Can somebody please enlighten me why the Thanks button is missing on this thread?
Old 20th August 2014, 22:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Rachit Dogra, where do you get your 3M job done in Gurgaon Sir. Ball park what does it cost.Thanks.
The 3M center is on the Golf Course Road near to the Phase-4 traffic light.

Wash for a sedan costs around 450-500.
There UV package which basically includes wash and wax for vento comes around 1225 with taxes.
The higher rubbing buffing packages are around 3-4K.

Full Interior Germi Cleen is around 1500.

Regards
Rachit
Old 20th August 2014, 22:11   #28
BHPian

I liked your writing style. Rated 5 stars. I have begun my journey into detailing- this after a year of surviving without parking. I got to read up now and do what you did. Great job! DO post some pictures
Old 20th August 2014, 22:16   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
The 3M center is on the Golf Course Road near to the Phase-4 traffic light.
Thank you for your very prompt response. I assume you mean the signal that turns towards Galleria or are you referring to the next one with the one way coming from HUDA city Centre.
Old 20th August 2014, 22:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I ever see Rudra Sen in the flesh, I will sock him in the eye ! He started this thread called “A superb Car cleaning, polishing and detailing guide" .
Buddy, you have tried to imitate a veteran/ maverick car detail-er. This in itself is a achievement. I would like to share over here something that says "Why is Sir Rudra Sen a car detail-er par excellence"

Confessions of a novice trying to imitate a Detailer!-20120310-16.12.25-custom.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Look at Rudra's shiny Optra; it's kept so clean that each of the 20 alloy-wheel spokes looks brand new.
Rudra Sir's attention to detail for car detailing has surely made him an encyclopedia of car detailing.

Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-pawna-mh.html

Thanks

Most Viewed