Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2017, 14:37   #91
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 321
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: PIO/OCI Queries

How long is the OCI valid? On our cards it says it has a Lifelong validity, but I don't think so as our Passport numbers are printed along in the OCI cards. So if I renew my Passport, I would get one with a different number and I might not be able to retain the old one with me. So do I have to renew the OCI upon every Passport renewal? Any ideas?
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2017, 00:34   #92
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 8,829
Thanked: 11,178 Times
Default Re: PIO/OCI Queries

I think you should keep the old passport(s) with you.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2017, 01:24   #93
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 321
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: PIO/OCI Queries

So came across this piece of information regarding OCI validity:

https://www.immihelp.com/nri/overseascitizenshipindia/

The gist is this:

Even though that they say OCI is valid lifelong, for anyone under 21 years of age and over 50 years of age, you will have to apply for new OCI all over again every time you get a new passport if you are under 21 years and once if you are over 50 years of age.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2018, 23:22   #94
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 8,829
Thanked: 11,178 Times
Default Re: PIO/OCI Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It seems that spouse-of-Indian PIO conversions are taking an age, like 6, 9, 12 months. Also, some people are being asked to provide all original source documents as per original PIO application, like proving entitlement all over again.
Two years later, and no longer free. But...

PIO-conversion application to OCI issue: five weeks. Wow.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 19:18   #95
BHPian
 
ringoism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Himachal
Posts: 676
Thanked: 1,947 Times
Default Re: PIO/OCI Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
How long is the OCI valid? On our cards it says it has a Lifelong validity, but I don't think so as our Passport numbers are printed along in the OCI cards. So if I renew my Passport, I would get one with a different number and I might not be able to retain the old one with me. So do I have to renew the OCI upon every Passport renewal? Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think you should keep the old passport(s) with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
So came across this piece of information regarding OCI validity:

https://www.immihelp.com/nri/overseascitizenshipindia/

The gist is this:

Even though that they say OCI is valid lifelong, for anyone under 21 years of age and over 50 years of age, you will have to apply for new OCI all over again every time you get a new passport if you are under 21 years and once if you are over 50 years of age.
I too had understood that the OCI had to be re-generated after the age of fifty, but a staff member of the External Affairs Min. (formerly posted Azerbaijan, headed for Bahrain, cousin of a friend here), says it is not necessary, that it is indeed good for life, that one only need carry their old passport with the OCI in it, once renewing a passport.

Can anyone confirm / deny this (I'm 49 and wondering whether I should be doing something)?

And if I DO have to re-apply, when is that "once" post-50 renewal to be done? If I had just turned 50 and had to travel outside the country for whatever reason, is this to say I wouldn't be let back in without a fresh OCI? Do I have to start the process a day after my birthday, and hope it'll be processed soon enough that it wouldn't interfere with travel plans?

-Eric
ringoism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 19:35   #96
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: bangalore
Posts: 40
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: PIO/OCI Queries

Quote:
Can anyone confirm / deny this (I'm 49 and wondering whether I should be doing something)?

-Eric
Technically , younger than 20 and older than 50 needs a new OCI after every passport renewal. In practice, carrying old passport is enough. In case you are worried apply for new OCI, and carry the acknowledgement with you. From many folks I know, the immigration folks do not bother. Actually for my daughter, the immigration officer asked why you even applied.

Last edited by Samurai : 12th July 2018 at 19:40. Reason: quote fixed
asinghal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 19:43   #97
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Banglore-Udupi
Posts: 23,826
Thanked: 20,961 Times
Default Re: PIO/OCI Queries

My son will turn 18 in couple months, and I will have to change his into adult passport. I think I will visit the FRRO after that just to clear things up. If they simply endorse the new passport number to the OCI, that would be great.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 19:52   #98
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: bangalore
Posts: 40
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: PIO/OCI Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
My son will turn 18 in couple months, and I will have to change his into adult passport. I think I will visit the FRRO after that just to clear things up. If they simply endorse the new passport number to the OCI, that would be great.
There is no concept of endorsing new PP number on OCI, its basically new OCI.
While applying for new OCI, you keep your old OCI.

Also, what do you mean get "an adult" passport. You can wait till it expires. And next time you will get a 10 year US passport.

Again, not critical to get new OCI with new passport if you carry the old passport with you.
asinghal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 19:57   #99
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Banglore-Udupi
Posts: 23,826
Thanked: 20,961 Times
Default Re: PIO/OCI Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by asinghal View Post
Also, what do you mean get "an adult" passport. You can wait till it expires. And next time you will get a 10 year US passport.
He passport was renewed at 15, so he has a child passport (5 years). The adult (10 year) passport is available only after 16.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 12:33   #100
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Banglore-Udupi
Posts: 23,826
Thanked: 20,961 Times
Default Re: PIO/OCI Queries

Two OCI related queries:

1) My son renewed his passport recently, now he has adult passport. Do we need to inform/update his OCI at FRRO? This link says yes. But it is not a government website. I found OCI miscellaneous service, will try that.

2) We are trying to apply for learning license at sarathi.parivahan.gov.in site. Do OCI applicants pick Application For Foreigner Licence(LL) - Foreigners (But not Diplomats) category or just apply as Indian?

Last edited by Samurai : 17th June 2019 at 12:41.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 14:20   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
amtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai - The city of Sea Link!!!
Posts: 2,833
Thanked: 501 Times
Default Re: PIO/OCI Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Two OCI related queries:

1) My son renewed his passport recently, now he has adult passport. Do we need to inform/update his OCI at FRRO? This link says yes. But it is not a government website. I found OCI miscellaneous service, will try that.

2) We are trying to apply for learning license at sarathi.parivahan.gov.in site. Do OCI applicants pick Application For Foreigner Licence(LL) - Foreigners (But not Diplomats) category or just apply as Indian?
For 1 - OCI is co-terminus with the passport. Since he now has a new passport, the OCI needs to be updated to match with the details of the new passport. As a cardinal rule, any change in address/change of passport needs to be updated with the FRRO. The reason being, since your son is a foreign national, in cases of emergencies, consulates seek data from FRRO about their citizens and contacts them accordingly. So, it is advisable to keep the details up to date.

For 2 - Select Foreigners (but not Diplomats) category. His primary nationality is American. He is an OCI, but not a full fledged citizen of India.

PS: Another thing that you will have to consider soon is that India and USA do not have a SSA, so every-time when your son changes his job, he cannot withdraw his PF as he'll be treated as an international worker.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 14:32   #102
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,428
Thanked: 16,874 Times
Default Re: PIO/OCI Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Two OCI related queries:

1) My son renewed his passport recently, now he has adult passport. Do we need to inform/update his OCI at FRRO? This link says yes. But it is not a government website. I found OCI miscellaneous service, will try that.

2) We are trying to apply for learning license at sarathi.parivahan.gov.in site. Do OCI applicants pick Application For Foreigner Licence(LL) - Foreigners (But not Diplomats) category or just apply as Indian?
1: No need, carry the passport which was endorsed in the OCI card along with you

Edit - quote from FAQhttps://mha.gov.in/PDF_Other/FAQOCIM...s_25042017.pdf

Quote:
Whether OCI documents have to be re-issued each time a new passport is taken?

OCI registration certificate have to be got re-issued each time a new passport is issued up to the completion of 20 years of age and once after completion of 50 years of age in view of biological changes in face of the applicant.
Re-issuance of OCI registration certificate is not mandatory each time a new passport is issued between 21-50 years of age. However, if the applicant wishes to obtain new set of OCI documents, he/she can apply for the same. If the OCI card is issued at the age of 50 years, there is no need for re-issuance of OCI.
2: Apply as an Indian and use the Aadhar card

Last edited by ajmat : 17th June 2019 at 14:38.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 14:52   #103
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Banglore-Udupi
Posts: 23,826
Thanked: 20,961 Times
Default Re: PIO/OCI Queries

He is 18 years old, so OCI has to be re-issued I think. I tried to apply online, it took me on a ride and it somehow assumed I am applying for a fresh OCI. Some fields are really confusing.

Now it wants me to upload his PIO instead of OCI. I will retry some other day.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 15:22   #104
BHPian
 
s4ch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 114
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: PIO/OCI Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
For 1 - OCI is co-terminus with the passport. Since he now has a new passport, the OCI needs to be updated to match with the details of the new passport. As a cardinal rule, any change in address/change of passport needs to be updated with the FRRO. The reason being, since your son is a foreign national, in cases of emergencies, consulates seek data from FRRO about their citizens and contacts them accordingly. So, it is advisable to keep the details up to date.
Sorry but this is not correct. I have renewed my passport and travelled many times using my OCI that mentions previous passport details. I do always carry my previous passport but have NEVER been asked to show it.

The only time an OCI may need to be renewed is as mentioned below, even then I know several people who have travelled back and forth many times below 20 / above 50 with renewed passports and never had an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
s4ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 15:55   #105
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,428
Thanked: 16,874 Times
Default Re: PIO/OCI Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Sorry but this is not correct. I have renewed my passport and travelled many times using my OCI that mentions previous passport details. I do always carry my previous passport but have NEVER been asked to show it.

The only time an OCI may need to be renewed is as mentioned below, even then I know several people who have travelled back and forth many times below 20 / above 50 with renewed passports and never had an issue.
Corrects, its too much paperwork, whenI had to report to the police, before an FRO was set up, they merely said, carry the old passport.

Since everything is integrated on line, its not an issue.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ICE for Indica: Pio 3850, JBL 936 & CS 2104 SSJ In-Car Entertainment 3 13th July 2006 18:31
Sony GT350 or Pio 3850 or Blaupunkt Brighton SSJ In-Car Entertainment 2 27th June 2006 18:26
Pio casette Hu and MCD cooldude1988765 Shifting gears 6 10th April 2006 08:46
Help: Pio 4650's mp3cd drive-board needed! nitrous In-Car Entertainment 0 29th January 2006 13:43
review of Pio 12" sub navin In-Car Entertainment 5 11th October 2005 10:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2019, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks