Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2005, 12:11   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsanity
I work in the GIS(Geogrphical Information System) Team...
Ok, then a Q for you....

Why is it taking india so long to get the indian GIS info, maps et all for GPS devices... atleast in major cities it should have been done by now right??
Give me the lowdown on the GIS happenings in our country.

cheers
R
Old 5th February 2005, 13:39   #62
BHPian

Infact certaind digital maps are already available for some cities..
A company is giving CD's(for Rs400) of cities like B'lore with the digital maps in it.. So u need to enter or pick the pot you want to go and it'l trace out to you the easiest way to get there..
But with every road turning out to be oneways in B'lore, I donno how well it'l work.. They'l have to update every otherday depending on oneways n all..
India is slowly but steadyly coming into GIS.. But the way things look now, it'l take quite some time before we have GPS Devices on cars etc... Sad but true...
Chk this sitye for more updates.. Donno if u'r interested but just chk it out anyways..
http://gisdevelopment.net/
Infact Reliance Infocomm has prepared the GIS for the whole of India.. They are going down to each land parcel level of detail..
They have some more to do..
But GPS mounted vehicles will take time.. Infact our company is working towards it, lot of R&D is going on...

_Cheers_
Old 2nd March 2005, 14:50   #63
Senior - BHPian

2 yrs of dip in automobile engineering... 3 yrs in a garage ... BBM ... 2 yrs of retail, software & UI Design ... 5 yrs in software at my current firm ... PG in management from IIMK.
Old 2nd March 2005, 18:37   #64
Senior - BHPian

I am a software tester by profession
Old 3rd March 2005, 12:05   #65
BHPian

Quote:
PG in management from IIMK.
Is that Kozhikode(Calicut)?? Woah, u'r quite a brain, aren't u?!!

Quote:
I am a software tester by profession
The most popular profession of today.. Loads of oppurtunities.... wow guys.....
Old 3rd March 2005, 14:00   #66
BHPian

well here goes... studied mechanical engineering at PSG, coimbatore. got a family apparel export business. currently working for one of india's biggest IT companies in blore as a software tester.

tried my hand at building a two seater from a old fiat... but was major flop

planning to do a MBA from one of the ivy leagues before joining the family business.
Old 3rd March 2005, 15:58   #67
Team-BHP Support

An Engineer by Qualification (BE E&C), almost done with my distance MBA from EBS, Scotland. Software designer/developer by profession.

Moved back to India last year after a long stint in USA. Currently run the Indian operations of the software company I used to work for in USA. We design/develop telephony middleware for call centers and system software for medical industry.
Old 3rd March 2005, 16:26   #68
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
tried my hand at building a two seater from a old fiat... but was major flop
Harrie, care to tell us the experience? Would be a worthwhile thread.

Quote:
Currently run the Indian operations of the software company I used to work for in USA.
Let me guess, on an American salary on Indian soil? Some guys have all the luck!

GTO
Old 3rd March 2005, 16:39   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Let me guess, on an American salary on Indian soil? Some guys have all the luck!
No, not that much luck. More like 40%.

Even then you can't attribute it to luck alone. Roughly 75% of all our company products were designed by me. It is the revenue from these products/services that pays my salary.
Old 3rd March 2005, 17:36   #70
BHPian

yo'all,

production engineer from mumbai - member of A.E.S. - audio engineering society (U.S.A),

now designing and manufacturing speakers for the high end home audio segment - also consulting for home audio / industrial audio and acoustic projects from RTA meaurements to the basic home theatre consulting...

www.lithosindia.com
Old 3rd March 2005, 17:53   #71
BHPian

Did my Economics (trust me complete waste of time) from Loyola college in Chennai. RUnning a family business now. We manufacture industrial rubber sheets and hoses. Have been interested in ars ever since I was a kid and lucky enough to have freinds who live and breathe automobiles. Can't get too much time off work. Love to spend free time tinkering with the car.
Old 10th March 2005, 21:53   #72
Senior - BHPian

Doing my IB in Pathways Gurgaon www.pathways.ac.in
Planning on going to Coventry for Vehicle Design

Some Help

www.coventry.ac.uk
Old 10th March 2005, 22:06   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways
Did my Economics (trust me complete waste of time) from Loyola college in Chennai. RUnning a family business now. We manufacture industrial rubber sheets and hoses. Have been interested in ars ever since I was a kid and lucky enough to have freinds who live and breathe automobiles. Can't get too much time off work. Love to spend free time tinkering with the car.

Dude mind your language!!!LOLz
Old 10th March 2005, 22:15   #74
BHPian

hey GTO saw ur post just now... well basically i wanted something of the lotus super 7 type (catterham). the car was a total loss my uncle had an accident in it. the tyre of the bus coming opposite to him broke off and came and hit the car. so the car was scrapped.

it was a petrol fiat (padmini). i took it and scrapped the whole body. then tried reinforcing the chassis. then we elongated teh steering column and pushed the seats back to get that long bonnet look.

i spent a total of 3000 RS on the mechanicals!!! got everything from the chor bazaar sort of market here. but unfortunately here is where it all ended. the workshop guy had to shut down shop. he was letting me use his tinker and mechanics for free during the free time (he was my friend...)

so i didnt have enough dough to proceed. so wrote off the investment and got myself a palio 1.6 GTX!

he he must have been a very funny read i suppose! but that was my first attempt. i have learnt a lot of stuff from that. and i dont regret doing it. it was a learning experience.

any ideas what could be done with a chassis and engine with other mechanicals in place? i mean except for the body its in a reasonable condition. i didnt damage the chassis. knew enough to leave it alone.

any ideas guys?
Old 12th March 2005, 23:13   #75
BHPian

Any other dealer management/Staff on T-BHP?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks