Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2015, 16:16   #31
BHPian

re: Earthquakes hits Nepal - 25th April, 2015 & 12th May, 2015

All material has to be transported by plane or road to Nepal, gets very costly.

Nepal Govt has already requested that instead of various types of material send cash - this is the best way to get aid to them from places like Bangalore.

PayTM will match your contribution rupee for rupee, I donated 2K this morning.

https://paytm.com/blog/nepal-needs-your-help-now/
Old 28th April 2015, 16:23   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
All material has to be transported by plane or road to Nepal, gets very costly. Nepal Govt has already requested that instead of various types of material send cash - this is the best way to get aid to them from places like Bangalore.PayTM will match your contribution rupee for rupee, I donated 2K this morning.
Appreciate it, but then how exactly cash helps in such a situation when there is shortage of stuff itself?
Old 28th April 2015, 16:29   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Appreciate it, but then how exactly cash helps in such a situation when there is shortage of stuff itself?
Supply is not a problem, there are bulk tent, tarpaulin, blanket providers willing to sell by the 1000s in adjacent Bihar/UP/Delhi/Punjab etc. & send it by road or cargo. Money is short.

Best is to contribute to known agencies working on the ground there instead of materials from here.

More options here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...help/26361193/
Old 28th April 2015, 17:53   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys is there any organizations that are taking volunteers for relief operations in Nepal? Like the genuine ones who can provide good management and provide the overall plan of action? I am interested in spending some time of my life in doing voluntary work without expecting any gains from it. Hence I am interested in being a part of rescue operations. Do let me know if there are any non religious and non political leads out there.
Old 28th April 2015, 18:04   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Guys is there any organizations that are taking volunteers for relief operations in Nepal? Like the genuine ones who can provide good management and provide the overall plan of action? I am interested in spending some time of my life in doing voluntary work without expecting any gains from it. Hence I am interested in being a part of rescue operations. Do let me know if there are any non religious and non political leads out there.
I am having 3+ months in hand July onwards & was also searching for options, but then read this:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...volunteers-aid
Old 29th April 2015, 09:53   #36
BANNED

Quote:
All material has to be transported by plane or road to Nepal, gets very costly.

Nepal Govt has already requested that instead of various types of material send cash - this is the best way to get aid to them from places like Bangalore.
I do not understand the logic. They have to get the stuff into Nepal, and now the land routes are open. Unless there is some ulterior motive known as 'leakage' they should coordinate only to the extent of what they want, no more.
Old 29th April 2015, 09:58   #37
BHPian

Its not that material help is not welcome. Just that the further you are from Nepal, costlier it gets to get material there.

In my opinion, even the Golden Temple initiative to send packets of COOKED food, while laudable, is wasteful. They need support to cook in-situ.
Attached Thumbnails
Earthquakes hit Nepal - April & May, 2015-quakereliefdos.jpg  

Old 29th April 2015, 10:09   #38
BANNED

Quote:
In my opinion, even the Golden Temple initiative to send packets of COOKED food, while laudable, is wasteful. They need support to cook in-situ.
The NDRF base is in Bhatinda, and the Hindon base is where the main support is located. Also, they have the infrastructure in the Langar, and are ill equipped to cook on the spot. Also, I think food packets were air dropped in J&K, the same will be done here. I think a lot of raw stuff is being sent by UP and Bihar. The bi=uses are going in carrying this stuff.

I must commend you on the list.

I do not have faith in govt and quasi govt organisations, too much leakage and overheads. I am trying to donate to sewa international, (highly recommended by a dandewala colleague, totally dedicated and a bachelor) but their site is either down or overloaded. They already have 1700+ on the ground there.

Last edited by sgiitk : 29th April 2015 at 10:10.
Old 30th April 2015, 09:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

Do not donate to News Channels running their own schemes. Do not trust the money to reach anywhere. Just hope there is no spread of any disease due to the number deaths.

Maddy
Old 30th April 2015, 09:15   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Do not donate to News Channels running their own schemes. Do not trust the money to reach anywhere. Just hope there is no spread of any disease due to the number deaths.
I neither trust these guys nor any GoI body. Seems that PMO accepts donations only for India. So unless you hate them, go where I went - sewainternational.org. got an ack within 90 minutes of completing the card transaction. Like them or hate them, these chaps are dedicated, and one must accept that they were one of the first in Latur and the last to leave only after taking care of all the dead, irrespective how badly decomposed the bodies were. Did the same for Tamil Nadu in the Tsunami, and Kedarnath (some RSS fronts, with 100% tax exemption).

Last edited by sgiitk : 30th April 2015 at 09:17.
Old 30th April 2015, 14:18   #41
BHPian

Hi
This query may sound out-of context and selfish, but please advice

We were planning a road trip to Nepal in last week of September 2015.
Entering through Kakkarbhita border driving through Nepal to reach Kathmandu and exit Nepal after 3 days through Sunauli border.

Is this going to be possible considering the damage to the roads and slow pace of repair wors?

Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 15:14   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith_Mani View Post
Hi
This query may sound out-of context and selfish, but please advice

We were planning a road trip to Nepal in last week of September 2015.
Entering through Kakkarbhita border driving through Nepal to reach Kathmandu and exit Nepal after 3 days through Sunauli border.

Is this going to be possible considering the damage to the roads and slow pace of repair work?
My advice would be to wait and watch. I would still say that we do not know the extent of damage to road infrastructure as of now. Though, relief material is still being sent by road but time will make clear how things pan out for you as a traveler. September is good 4-5 months away, so wait and watch policy will be the best option.
Mods may please move the post to a relevant thread.

Regards.
Old 1st May 2015, 18:59   #43
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Flipkart has tied up with Goonj and will be sending materials to Nepal viticms based on donations received. I have already made my contribution through Flipkart's website. You can do so if you like.

Thanks all.
Old 2nd May 2015, 09:29   #44
BANNED

Some more shocking information:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-salaries.html
Old 2nd May 2015, 18:07   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Never trust the Daily Mail about anything ...Even when it's right!

Some charities are enormous organisations, handling huge amounts of money. If they can find highly competent managers who will do the job for love, well, good luck to them. I don't mind people being paid what they are worth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks