Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2017, 11:21   #1141
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai

Any outlets in Thane, Ghodbunder road area for typical North Indian snacks/dishes? Looking for Pani Puri, Vada Pav, Dahi Puri, Kebabs, Tandoori and Grill.
Old 24th December 2017, 11:57   #1142
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
West to Aaswad for the first time during my India trip; Enjoyed Misal and thalipeeth.. Absolutely delicious!
Which Aaswad is this? I'm a regular at the Shivaji Park one, and have visited the Ghatkopar outlet, but this doesn't look like either of them. Not seeing any other Aaswad on Zomato either.
Old 24th December 2017, 15:06   #1143
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Which Aaswad is this? I'm a regular at the Shivaji Park one, and have visited the Ghatkopar outlet,
Did you like the Misal at the Ghatkopar outlet? I didn't.

Quote:
but this doesn't look like either of them. Not seeing any other Aaswad on Zomato either.
There seems to be one as Kopar Khairne also.
Old 29th December 2017, 21:42   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
Which Aaswad is this? I'm a regular at the Shivaji Park one, and have visited the Ghatkopar outlet, but this doesn't look like either of them. Not seeing any other Aaswad on Zomato either.
This is the one near Dadar (West) On Gokhale Road. Closer to Kabutarkhana. Even I thought there is only 1 Aswaad and have been watching videos of kunal Vijaykar's YT to check out foodie joints.

https://goo.gl/maps/CJhSj3qZnjz

Off Topic: Sad to hear the incident of 1 Above and Mojo's. May those souls rest in peace. Looking at Zomato reviews/pics, the place looked nice spot for vegetarians.

Last edited by Fraz33r : 29th December 2017 at 21:46.
Old 30th December 2017, 00:02   #1145
BHPian

Quote:
Original one has been shifted to new location at Gokhale Road before Portuguese Church, due to building redevelopment.

Yes, and surely in misal Prakash takes the hat
Old 30th December 2017, 00:56   #1146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Off Topic: Sad to hear the incident of 1 Above and Mojo's. May those souls rest in peace. Looking at Zomato reviews/pics, the place looked nice spot for vegetarians.
I wish to express my deepest sympathies and condolences to the lives lost in the tragedy at 1 Above & Mojos. Young lives were lost in the prime of their youth. Nothing will compensate the families for the loss they are suffering and it is indeed a very sad way for 14 families to end the year and begin a new year.
May whichever God they pray to, give the families the strength and fortitude to persevere.
The inevitable blame game will commence, lot of other restaurants will be inspected, a few bad actors will be hauled up. I hope the unfortunate and untimely demise of these 14 souls will inspire the city and hopefully the nation to get its act together and ensure such tragedies do not occur in the future.

Rest In Peace, departed souls.
Old 1st April 2018, 01:11   #1147
BHPian

Mysore Cafe at Maheshwari Udyan has now started a fully AC joint a few doors down towards the flyover from the original establishment.
In the original establishment, you had to mountain climb to the upper floor which is Air conditioned. Elderly people like my parents have a tough time climbing up to the AC section.
So I am very happy that they have started another joint that is fully air conditioned. This joint has a ground floor and first floor too.
This place only opens at 1100 in the morning though.
Old 1st April 2018, 05:41   #1148
BANNED

For the South Mumbai lovers, the ambience of the US club at Colaba is wonderful. The location, the wide menu options and the rather inexpensive booze make it a 'must go to' place. The starters are excellent too.

For South Indian food, no place is better than Matunga. Rama Nayak's for the thali and Sharda Bhavan for very authentic fare.

For veg thaalis, Panchavati Gaurav at Metro is superb. So is Samrat at Churchgate.
Old 1st April 2018, 06:20   #1149
BANNED

My favourite South Indian veg place in Bombay is Cafe Udipi in Chembur between Ambedkar Udyan and Chembur Station. Their upma especially is the best I have ever eaten. And it's the same great upma for the last 30 years (the restaurant is much older than 30). They have everything from thalis to idlis, dosas etc.
Old 9th April 2018, 08:46   #1150
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Sharda Bhavan for very authentic fare
So happy to see a mention of Sharda Bhavan here - it's my favourite! Most people usually like Madras Cafe or the others. Have been going to Sharda Bhavan since my teens; love their mysore sada dosa and that amazing chutney (taste has remained the same since 25 years!).

Also wanted to put in a good word for 'The Roll Company' here. The best rolls I've had in Bombay, especially their Paneer Makhani & Chole Papdi ones.
Old 30th June 2018, 13:48   #1151
BANNED

Went to Aaswad at Ghatkopar/Vidyavihar today to get Misal takeout. They said I would have to bring my own vessel from home for takeout :-( They said they can pack the ghatia/onions etc in paper boxes but what will they pack the misal itself in?
Old 1st July 2018, 07:54   #1152
BHPian

Kath and Ghat

There is a new Maharashtrian place called "Kaath and Ghat" in Thane.

As the name suggests it's nothing but all Maharashtrian veg and non veg dishes you can think of under one roof. They have various types of Marathi pickles and sweet dishes. Kheer, Mastani, Halva to name a few. Food is not from just one region of Maharashtra. They have tried to cover multiple regional local dishes such as Konkan, Vidarbha and Khandesh.

Amazing ambience

Service slightly slow. May be due to the rush on Sat night but wait time was just 10 mins and food served quickly.

Price not so bad. Grossly justified for a five star like atmosphere.

We ordered Savji Chicken, Aagri Mutton, Tambda Rassa Soup, Rice and Kharvas. Just around 1700 Rs for 3 people.

It's right on the Mumbai Nasik highway on the East side. Opp side of Viviana mall (not exactly opposite). Another landmark Hyundai pre-owned show room just next to it .

You must give it a shot.
Old 27th December 2018, 16:05   #1153
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Was at Souk last night. Used to be my favourite at one time. Now, it's just another 'good' restaurant IMHO.

Independent restaurants have beaten the 5-star hotel ones black & blue when it comes to cuisine or experience. There was a time (say, 1990s) where one would frequent 5-stars once a week, or twice. Now, it's like once a month. I much prefer opening up Zomato and checking one of the awesome new places out. There's too much happening on the independent food scene now.
Old 28th January 2019, 12:35   #1154
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Was at Souk last night. Used to be my favourite at one time. Now, it's just another 'good' restaurant IMHO.

Independent restaurants have beaten the 5-star hotel ones black & blue when it comes to cuisine or experience.
See what I meant? Went to Bay Route @ Powai over the weekend. The food was exceptional, and so was the service. Would strongly recommend this restaurant. Same cuisine as the Souk, but much better and lower pricing too (although it's still expensive). The way items are presented will blow your mind.

They also have an outlet at Cuffe Parade which is smaller. Bookings recommended. They're always full.
Old 29th January 2019, 21:47   #1155

Hearsch bakery in bandra west!
The most mouth watering veg burger ever!!
It's been my favourite for close to 20 years now!
A big heads up! 👍🏻

Most Viewed