Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2018, 21:23   #631
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Oh My God Foxbat you managed to wrangle a Tupolev Crusty. Gosh I have been searching for a decent sized one (as in 1:200) for some time. Heartiest congratulations. Those three look swell together. Is your Foxbat 1:200 or 1:72. Old -134 didn't enjoy the visibility of the Tu-154M cousin but was as prolific in the Soviet & COMECOM skies 1960s to 1990s. Tu-134 & Foxbat. I am green with envy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Phoenix Diecast 1/200 Luftwaffe Tupolev Tu-134A Registration: 11+12

The Tupolev Tu-134 (NATO reporting name: Crusty) is a twin-engined, narrow-body, jet airliner built in the Soviet Union from 1966 to 1989.

The Russian 1:200 collection: Mig-25, Tu-154 and Tu-134. The Tu-154 is a much larger aircraft in comparison.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 18th December 2018 at 21:25.
Old 18th December 2018, 22:27   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Oh My God Foxbat you managed to wrangle a Tupolev Crusty. Gosh I have been searching for a decent sized one (as in 1:200) for some time. Heartiest congratulations. Those three look swell together. Is your Foxbat 1:200 or 1:72. Old -134 didn't enjoy the visibility of the Tu-154M cousin but was as prolific in the Soviet & COMECOM skies 1960s to 1990s. Tu-134 & Foxbat. I am green with envy.
Thank you Narayan. The Tu-134 was procured from an online model retailer in the UK at a very reasonable price(although shipping was 11 pounds) and no customs duty
I have sent you a PM with the link.

The Foxbat is huge and is 1:200, if it was 1/72 it would be nearly a foot long!

Last edited by Foxbat : 18th December 2018 at 22:49.
Old 20th December 2018, 13:47   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Fokker D.VII – World War I Fighter 1:48 scale; CORGI
The scale model has a wingspan of little over 7” and is just under 5” in length. A high quality of finish on this Corgi model.

Although the air war had turned inexorably in favour of the Allies by the late summer of 1918, the Germans were still able to introduce an aircraft which is generally considered to be the finest fighter of the World War I - the Fokker D.VII. German pilots had a saying that this new fighter could make a mediocre pilot good and a good pilot into an ace, but unfortunately this was to prove a case of too little, too late. The aircraft was stable to fly. Had gentle take-off and landing characteristics, did not break up in a steep fast dive (unlike many machines of that era) and had a very high angle of attack which unusually enabled its pilot to shoot 60 degrees upwards for a couple of seconds before a stall would set in.

Fokker D.VII 4649/18 was considered one of the most flamboyantly decorated fighters – adorning both sides of the aircraft’s fuselage, an elaborate scene featuring the ‘Seven Swabians’ from a famous Brothers Grimm German Fairy Tale must have made for an unusual sight. Showing an incredible level of artistic talent, the artwork was slightly different on both sides of the aircraft, however, despite all this decorative effort, this particular fighter was to achieve no more than two aerial victories during its short service career.

The D.VII was powered by a 180 shp Mercedes engine which gave it a top speed of 102 knots and arrange of 144 nautical miles. Armament was two 7.92mm air-cooled light machine guns with an effective range of 2000 metres and a combined rate of fire of between 1000 and 1200 rounds per minute.

The Red Baron had selected the D.VII as the next mainstay German fighter and was killed the week before it entered service.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-fokker-d.vii-2.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-fokker-d.vii-1.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-fokker-d.vii-b-3.jpg  

Old 20th December 2018, 23:26   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Fokker D.VII – World War I Fighter 1:48 scale; CORGI
A nice addition you your WWI collection Do to the the unique design of the top wing extensions at the rear and your pictures from the top of the plane, it appeared to me as a tri-plane instead of a bi-plane. I had to Google it to clarify my doubts.

Can we have a shot of your WWI collection?
Old 23rd December 2018, 12:45   #635
Distinguished - BHPian

ILYUSHIN IL-62; Air Koryo; 1:400 scale

The IL-62 was the main stay long-range large-capacity Russian airliner from the late 1960s to the late 1990s. It shared the 4 tail-mounted engine configuration with the VC-10. Tail mounted engines were popular in the designs of the 1950s and 1960s because – (i) it gave a clean wing and aided lift and stability; (ii) it significantly reduced yaw moment in case of an engine failure (which in that era did occur occasionally; (iii) it led to a much quieter cabin. These days we are so used to the relatively quiet turbofans that we forget the din a turbojet or low by-pass turbofan made.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-il62m-1.jpg
The IL-62 is still in service, albeit in very small numbers 55 years after the prototype flew in 1963. In the 1960s the Western press alleged that the drawings of the VC-10 had been stolen through espionage and that’s how the Soviets created the IL-62. It was a load of humbug and typical of the attitudes of the Cold War. Those making the allegations forgot that the Soviets built the first successful jet airliner – the Tu-104 (1955) and were the first to put the turbofan (albeit a low bypass one) into regular service with the Tu-124 (1958).

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-il62m-2.jpg
The dog tooth was to scrub the air over the wing and improve lift, give more authority to the flight control surfaces, increase angle of attack and delay a stall.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-il62m-3.jpg
Note the fourth hind leg – it was extended when stationary on the ground to prevent the tail heavy machine from tilting over on to its rear especially as loading-unloading and refueling is going on and the CoG is shifting all the time.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-il62m-4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-il62m-5.jpg
The real thing. Cockpit of the IL-62M. It was the last airliner to need a crew of 4 – Captain, Co-Pilot, Engineer and Navigator

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-il62m-6.jpg
My Ilyushin fleet: IL-76, IAF; IL-96, Aeroflot; IL-62M, Air Koryo

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-il62m-7.jpg
Air India’s IL-62M on lease from Aeroflot in the 1980s

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181223_113615.jpg
At Foxbat's request here is my collection of bi-planes. Only the two at the back are of WW-I vintage. The other two are from the 1930s. In clockwise order - Fokker D.VII and Fokker Dr.I Dreidecker - both 1:48, Gloster Gladiator and Hawker Hart - both 1:72. Missing is the yellow French SPAD fighter seen on page 2 of this thread. It has been put into the hangar for the time being.
Old 24th December 2018, 12:14   #636
BHPian

Quote:
ILYUSHIN IL-62; Air Koryo; 1:400 scale

At Foxbat's request here is my collection of bi-planes. Only the two at the back are of WW-I vintage. The other two are from the 1930s. In clockwise order - Fokker D.VII and Fokker Dr.I Dreidecker - both 1:48, Gloster Gladiator and Hawker Hart - both 1:72. Missing is the yellow French SPAD fighter seen on page 2 of this thread. It has been put into the hangar for the time being.
Another one in your Russian collection It does looks distinctive compared to all the normal twin wing mounted engine planes. I only wish it was 1:200. I feel the 1:400 and 1:500 models are way too small to include all the details and many times the assembly lines are way too prominent and ruin the smooth look of the real plane.

Thanks for posting the pic of the Bi-planes, why is the SPAD in the hangar? Periodic maintenance or a major overhaul?
Old 24th December 2018, 15:11   #637
Distinguished - BHPian

Airbus A300-600 Iran Air; Scale 1:200
Model is a little over 10 inches in length and has a wingspan of about 9 inches

The A300 needs no introduction being the first airliner of the Airbus family, the first wide body twin starting a trend that dominates today and being the first large capacity airliner designed for domestic and regional routes. It also set the fuselage frame that remained common through the A310, A330 & A340. Indian Airlines was one of the earliest customers of the A300. In c.1974 when this iconic airliner was introduced few gave Airbus a survival chance against the American Big 3. It was to the credit of France, West Germany, Spain & Netherlands that the company survived to become one of the Big-2. In those day Airbus used to advertise in magazines explaining it's philosophy and merits of the A300.

I picked Iran Air as the livery of choice in memory of the tragic flight 665 that, in 1988, was shot down by a SAM fired from USS Vincennes, an American AEGIS cruiser, despite the fact hat the A300 was (a) in Iran air space {it was the USS Vincennes that had illegally intruded into Iran’s territorial waters!!}; (b) the aircraft was transmitting its airliner code that USS Vincennes should have picked up – two sister warships definitely did and confirmed the radar blip to be a airliner; (c) the aircraft was climbing away from the war ship, having taken odd from Bandar Abbas – not diving in towards the warship; (d) all the sophisticated electronics abroad an Aegis warship is meant to be able to distinguish an large wide-body airliner climbing gently from a fast combat jet coming in at low level.

290 victims died including 10 Indians. The Captain of the US cruiser was awarded a ’Legion of Merit’ medal for his command of the warship.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-airbus-a300-1.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-airbus-a300-2.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-airbus-a300-3.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-airbus-a300-4.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 24th December 2018 at 15:26.
Old 24th December 2018, 16:40   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Model is a little over 10 inches in length and has a wingspan of about 9 inches

I picked Iran Air as the livery of choice in memory of the tragic flight 665 that, in 1988, was shot down by a SAM fired from USS Vincennes, an American AEGIS cruiser, despite the fact hat the A300 was (a) in Iran air space {it was the USS Vincennes that had illegally intruded into Iran’s territorial waters!!}; (b) the aircraft was transmitting its airliner code that USS Vincennes should have picked up – two sister warships definitely did and confirmed the radar blip to be a airliner; (c) the aircraft was climbing away from the war ship, having taken odd from Bandar Abbas – not diving in towards the warship; (d) all the sophisticated electronics abroad an Aegis warship is meant to be able to distinguish an large wide-body airliner climbing gently from a fast combat jet coming in at low level.

290 victims died including 10 Indians. The Captain of the US cruiser was awarded a ’Legion of Merit’ medal for his command of the warship.
Thats a wonderful model ! Diecast and very immaculately detailed. I have been looking for a diecast 1:200 A300 for sometime. I see the registration as EP-IBB, Flight 665 was EP-IBU. I have heard that models are usually not made of aircraft which crashed and lives were lost although I do have a Canadian Pacific 707 model which crashed and 1 person died.

The US never acknowledged their guilt or recklessness nor apologised, however:

In February 1996, the United States agreed to pay Iran US$131.8 million in settlement to discontinue a case brought by Iran in 1989 against the U.S. in the International Court of Justice relating to this incident,together with other earlier claims before the Iran-United States Claims Tribunal. US$61.8 million of the claim was in compensation for the 248 Iranians killed in the shoot-down: $300,000 per wage-earning victim and $150,000 per non-wage-earner. In total, 290 civilians on board were killed, 38 being non-Iranians and 66 being children. It was not disclosed how the remaining $70 million of the settlement was apportioned, though it was close to the value of a used A300 at the time.

An example of double standards of reporting in the US Media:
Name:  Screen Shot 20181224 at 4.39.26 pm.png
Views: 496
Size:  239.2 KB

Newsweek covers for 12 September 1983 (left) and 18 July 1988 (right), illustrating the KAL007 and Iran Air incidents respectively. The caption "Murder in the Air" framed the KAL incident as a deliberate act of war, whereas "Why It Happened" framed the Iran Air incident as a tragic mistake.
Old 29th December 2018, 10:39   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[b]Tupolev Tu-128 (Fiddler) Heavy Long Range Interceptor; 1:200
The Largest and heaviest fighter ever to see frontline service!!! Congratulations on this great addition to your fighter fleet.

Quote:
1/72 Diescast French Air Force Dassault Super Mystere B2
Fantastic looking model of the SMB.2. It had a striking similarity with the F-100 Super Sabre. Israeli SMB.2s(upgraded) had a unique extended tailpipes just like Israeli A-4H Ahits.

Quote:
Phoenix Diecast 1/200 Luftwaffe Tupolev Tu-134A Registration: 11+12
Great to see the Tupolev's together. Keep going, not many go after models like these.

Quote:
Lovely looking and greatly detailed model. Is it Infight brand? Iran Air's simple yet elegant livery makes the model look even nicer.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 29th December 2018 at 11:02.
Old 29th December 2018, 18:55   #640
BHPian

Scale Models - Aircrafts & Ships

1/200 SkyTeam (AeroMexico) Embraer ERJ-145LR XA-CLI

The Embraer ERJ family is a series of twin-engine regional jets produced by Embraer, a Brazilian aerospace company. Aircraft in the series include the ERJ135 (37 passengers), ERJ140 (44 passengers), and ERJ145 (50 passengers), as well as the Legacy business jet and the R-99 family of military aircraft. Each jet in the series is powered by two turbofan engines. The family's primary competition comes from the Bombardier CRJ regional jets.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181229_183650.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181229_183500.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181229_183349.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181229_183528.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181229_183756.jpg
The Real Aircraft.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-screenshot_20181229184338.png

I just wish HAL had developed passenger aircraft in the 60s and 70s and taken a prominent place in aviation like Embraer has done in smaller aircraft where Boeing and Airbus don't have products.

Last edited by Foxbat : 29th December 2018 at 18:58.
Old 29th December 2018, 19:20   #641
BHPian

TU 114 1:500

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img20181229wa0015.jpg

It was developed from tu 95 bomber at behest of soviet leader Nikita kruschev who wanted an aircraft to travel to USA. Prototype was developed in record time and was fastest prop aircraft of its day.
Old 30th December 2018, 08:43   #642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Israeli SMB.2s(upgraded) had a unique extended tailpipes just like Israeli A-4H Ahits.
Nice to learn this new point. Your intimate knowledge never ceases to amaze me.
Quote:
Great to see the Tupolev's together. Keep going, not many go after models like these.
What to do sir, we are like that only :-). I am also going after lesser known British aircrafts.
Quote:
Lovely looking and greatly detailed model. Is it Infight brand? Iran Air's simple yet elegant livery makes the model look even nicer.
This was JC Wings.
Quote:
1/200 SkyTeam (AeroMexico) Embraer ERJ-145LR XA-CLI
I just wish HAL had developed passenger aircraft in the 60s and 70s and taken a prominent place in aviation like Embraer has done in smaller aircraft where Boeing and Airbus don't have products.
Lovely ERJ. These are reliable machines. Especially the 195 series with engines under the wings. In 1968 HAL and Embraer were at the same level of development. Embraer, as you know, went step by step through the utility turboprop EMB110, then the bigger regional feeder turboprop EMB120 then the basic trainer EMB 312 and so on. Our Achilles heel has been a egoistic desire to go straight for projects of grandeur with big titles for the scientist-bureaucrat married to a PSU. In the same time ISRO went step by step from weather sounding mini rockets to the GSLV-F11 and HAL & DRDO cannot even design a primary trainer any more. A national shame.

Compared to the Bombardier CRJs the Embraer ERJs are easier to operate and way simpler to maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
TU 114 1:500
Prototype was developed in record time and was fastest prop aircraft of its day.
What a unique beauty. I could kiss it. We need more photos :-). Not only was it the fastest turbo prop airliner then it still is today! The Western authors always decried that a turbo prop cannot go fast enough to need swept wings. But like the bumble bee A.N. Tupolev did not know that and went ahead anyways. It must have been one noisy beast. The Tu-126 Moss was a development of the Tu-114. The debut of the IL-62 sadly led to the Tu-114 getting relegated to secondary routes within 10 years of its life.

AN Tupolev numbered it 114 to match with his first airliner the -104 thus setting the trend of all his airliners ending in a '4'.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 30th December 2018 at 08:45.
Old 30th December 2018, 09:48   #643
BHPian

Two of the Best fighters of korean War: MIG 15 and F 86

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img20181229wa0014.jpg

MiG 15 ruled the skies over Korea till F 86 from North American Aviation arrived. F86 was more advanced of the two with a radar range finder and a new centripetal compressor jet engine This new compressor design resulted in a narrow fuselage whereas MiG used old centrifugal compressor jet engine and the Radar range finder resulted in more accurate shooting of enemy fighter planes.No wonder F 86 had 10:1 kill ratio against the MiG

Another photo of Tu 114
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img20181229wa0013.jpg  

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 30th December 2018 at 09:51. Reason: Addition and some housekeeping
Old 30th December 2018, 11:37   #644
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1832367

MiG 15 ruled the skies over Korea till F 86 from North American Aviation arrived. F86 was more advanced of the two with a radar range finder and a new centripetal compressor jet engine This new compressor design resulted in a narrow fuselage whereas MiG used old centrifugal compressor jet engine and the Radar range finder resulted in more accurate shooting of enemy fighter planes.No wonder F 86 had 10:1 kill ratio against the MiG

Those two Korean war veterans look very nice, can we have some more pics? What scale are they?

I had posted a relatively unbiased documentary about the Mig-15 vs Sabre a few pages back. The Sabre was definitely not the more advanced of the two if you hear what the Sabre pilots are saying. The 10:1 ratio is just old propaganda which even the USAF later admitted was grossly exaggerated.Post war research showed it was more like 1.8 : 1. If it were true then more Migs were shot down than were deployed in Korea!
Old 30th December 2018, 12:32   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice to learn this new point. Your intimate knowledge never ceases to amaze me.
Here are screenshots of the tail pipe extensions on the A-4H and the Honduran SMB.2(Israel Upgraded) taken from the flight sim Strike Fighters 2:Israel.

A-4H Ahit
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-a4h.jpg

SMB.2(UPG)
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-smb.2upg.jpg

Flight simming itself is a great learning experience for any aviation enthusiast. I would not have known much about Military aviation had I not been flight simmer. Sadly, unlike the old days, not many flight sims are coming out these days and the genre is dying.

Quote:
The Tu-126 Moss was a development of the Tu-114.
Speaking of the Moss, I believe the Pakis and the Americans thought that the IAF airstrikes mounted by MiG-21s and Su-7s were guided by a sole Tu-126, as they were hitting targets day and night with accuracy. Our adversaries were left shell shocked when downed and captured IAF pilots revealed that there was no AWACS guiding them, rather it was their own good old eyeball Mk.2 and good navigation skills that were the reasons behind accurate strikes.

Quote:
I think this is the first time in the thread that someone has posted model pics of adversaries in the same scale. Congratulations. Look great, both of them. I assume both of them are Easy Model brand?

You should be proud that you have such a rare and historic model like the Tu-114 in your collection.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks