Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2018, 13:59   #646
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post

Flight simming itself is a great learning experience for any aviation enthusiast. I would not have known much about Military aviation had I not been flight simmer. Sadly, unlike the old days, not many flight sims are coming out these days and the genre is dying.

Can not really say much about flight simming in India. We have a flight sim thread on the forum, but I have not seen much activity.

Flight SIm is still popular in the west. With many flight SIM groups active all over the world. Most of it is aimed at commercial jet liners. There used to be dedicated military and fighter flight SIM groups. There are still some around but I get the impression their numbers are dwindling.

Recent changes at FAA ruling means that real life pilots can train and keep up their formal certification by training on relatively simply Flight SIMs, so if anything that is a whole new market opening up in the USA.

Jeroen
Old 30th December 2018, 16:34   #647
BHPian

re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Those two Korean war veterans look very nice, can we have some more pics? What scale are they?
Both are Easy model 1:72 scale.

Quote:

You should be proud that you have such a rare and historic model like the Tu-114 in your collection.
It indeed a rare model. TU 104 1/200 is available from Western Model but it's Uber expensive.

The French Alouette III or IAF chetak for Indian aorforce fans
a teaser:

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-20180615_113844.jpg

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 30th December 2018 at 16:35.
Old 30th December 2018, 20:44   #648
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
Two of the Best fighters of korean War: MIG 15 and F 86
Congratulations. Good stuff. We fight with such intensity and anger only to end up as discussion point two generations later.

Quote:
Here are screenshots of the tail pipe extensions on the A-4H and the Honduran SMB.2(Israel Upgraded) taken from the flight sim Strike Fighters 2:Israel.
Thanks. These extended tailpipes were used IIRC to reduce the ability of IR missiles in the 1960s and 1970s from homing in from even a slight angle to the left or right. It forced the attacker to launch a IR AAM from dead astern only. It is still valid today but to a much lesser degree as today's IR SAMs or AAMs can seek you and lock on even from dead ahead.

@Fronzenintime, eagerly waiting for the sheets to come off the Alouette.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 30th December 2018 at 20:45.
Old 30th December 2018, 21:02   #649
BHPian

Scale Models - Aircrafts & Ships

1/200 Bombardier Q400 Star Alliance (Tyrolean Airways)

The DHC-8 Dash 8 is a series of turboprop-powered regional airliners, introduced by de Havilland Canada (DHC) in 1984. DHC was later bought by Boeing in 1988, then by Bombardier in 1992; the program is to be resold to Viking Air parent Longview Aviation Capital by late 2019. Powered by two Pratt & Whitney Canada PW100s, it was developed from the Dash 7 with improved cruise performance, lowered operational costs but worse STOL performance. Three sizes were offered: initially the 37-40 seat -100 until 2005 and the more powerful -200 from 1995, the stretched 50-56 seats -300 from 1989, both until 2009, and the 68-90 seats -400 from 1999, still in production. The Q Series are post-1997 variants with quieter cabins.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181230_203820.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181230_203631.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181230_203618.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181230_203956.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181230_203849.jpg

The real plane.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-screenshot_20181230205422.png

Last edited by Foxbat : 30th December 2018 at 21:19.
Old 30th December 2018, 21:13   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Can not really say much about flight simming in India. We have a flight sim thread on the forum, but I have not seen much activity.

Flight SIm is still popular in the west. With many flight SIM groups active all over the world. Most of it is aimed at commercial jet liners. There used to be dedicated military and fighter flight SIM groups. There are still some around but I get the impression their numbers are dwindling.

Recent changes at FAA ruling means that real life pilots can train and keep up their formal certification by training on relatively simply Flight SIMs, so if anything that is a whole new market opening up in the USA.

Jeroen
Flight simming is popular yes, but no new titles are being worked on other than a couple of vague ones. The only good and accurate ones right now are DCS World, X-plane 11, fsx/P3D(on its last legs probably) and Falcon 4.0 (with BMS patch). Unlike the 90s where there were some great and fun military flight sim titles like Jane's USAF, IAF, Longbow, F-15E, F/A-18E, iF-16, Enemy Engaged etc, but now you are basically restricted to Falcon 4.0 BMS and DCS World if you want good and accurate military flight sims.

I used to fly Falcon 4.0 a lot online(team dogfights, co-op missions) during its SP3 and Free Falcon days, which now seems a long long time ago. I modded a lot on the now abandoned Strike Fighters 2 titles. Made some good friends doing so and those friendships continues till date.

The only titles I have now on my PC are Xplane 11, Falcon 4.0 BMS 4.33, Strike Fighters 2 and Enemy Engaged 1.16. DCS World and X plane have dedicated communities, so those titles will continue to evolve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Thanks. These extended tailpipes were used IIRC to reduce the ability of IR missiles in the 1960s and 1970s from homing in from even a slight angle to the left or right. It forced the attacker to launch a IR AAM from dead astern only. It is still valid today but to a much lesser degree as today's IR SAMs or AAMs can seek you and lock on even from dead ahead.
I had an e-book on Israeli Air Wars, which I lost in a HD crash. I vaguely remember reading about the extended tailpipes on A-4s and SMB.2s.

During and after the 1973 Yom Kippur War, where Israeli Skyhawk losses were quite high to SAMs, the surviving A-4Hs were fitted with extended jetpipes that were intended to make the aircraft less vulnerable to shoulder-launched SAMs. The logic was that any IR homing missile which would strike the aircraft, would explode at the end of the tailpipe rather than inside the engine, giving the plane a better chance to survive and return safely to base.

Not sure how accurate this was based on the vague memory I have of reading the logic behind fitment of extended tailpipes.
Old 30th December 2018, 21:19   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1/200 Bombardier Q400 Star Alliance (Tyrolean Airways)

The DHC-8 Dash 8 is a series of turboprop-powered regional airliners, introduced by de Havilland Canada (DHC) in 1984. DHC was later bought by Boeing in 1988, then by Bombardier in 1992; the program is to be resold to Viking Air parent Longview Aviation Capital by late 2019. Powered by two Pratt & Whitney Canada PW100s, it was developed from the Dash 7 with improved cruise performance, lowered operational costs but worse STOL performance. Three sizes were offered: initially the 37-40 seat -100 until 2005 and the more powerful -200 from 1995, the stretched 50-56 seats -300 from 1989, both until 2009, and the 68-90 seats -400 from 1999, still in production. The Q Series are post-1997 variants with quieter cabins.
I believe the Q400 is quieter, faster and has a better climb performance than the ATR-72, its chief competitor. There were quite a few landing gear collapse incidents on the Q400.

It is a great looking model and nice addition to your fleet. Get an ATR-72 to compliment it.

I would really love to see a Q400 in Spicejet colors. I assume you got this from DB Jets?
Old 30th December 2018, 21:33   #652
BHPian

Quote:

It is a great looking model and nice addition to your fleet. Get an ATR-72 to compliment it.

I would really love to see a Q400 in Spicejet colors. I assume you got this from DB Jets?
Thank you, will try to find a ATR-72 in 1/200 Scale.
No I got this from the US at less than the 50% of the price on DB Jets.
I'm a very price sensitive customer
Old 30th December 2018, 23:00   #653
Distinguished - BHPian

In a thread with such fine and impressive aviation military hardware I felt the following model would be an interesting addition:

The Little Nellie

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pc300038.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pc300039.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-pc300042.jpg

This little gyroscope was made immortal in one of the James Bond movies, you only live twice, featuring Roger Moore as 007.

https://jamesbond.fandom.com/wiki/Little_Nellie

Little Nellie packs quite a punch. In the movie that is.

She is actually a variant on the Wallis WA-116 Agile. In real life, I am not sure what these little aircrafts were used for. I have flown most type of aircrafts with fixed wings, any number, any sort of propulsion (and no propulsion), flown in balloon, hovercrafts, but I have yet to fly a gyro-copter. Must put it on my to do list!

I have just come back from a weekend away with my wife. We went to Groningen, way up north in the Netherlands. About 240km / 2.5 hours driving from were we live. Lovely town. We went into one of the many brocante/vintage/bric-a-brac shops. They had a series of models of just about every James Bond movie vehicle ever. From the moon buggy to the Triumph Stag, Toyata 2000, BMW etc. etc. For some of the models I had to think hard which movie they were in. They were all brand new, still in the box. But little Nellie was sitting on top of this pile of James Bond vehicle, without a box. They wanted Euro 4 for it, which is less than the price of cup of coffee at Starbucks these days. Bought two little fire trucks too.

But I am particularly pleased with little Nellie. It has great detail, the rotor blades fold as well!

Jeroen
Old 31st December 2018, 11:34   #654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In a thread with such fine and impressive aviation military hardware I felt the following model would be an interesting addition:

The Little Nellie

This little gyroscope was made immortal in one of the James Bond movies, You only live twice. She is actually a variant on the Wallis WA-116 Agile. In real life, I am not sure what these little aircrafts were used for.
Mama Mia. What a wonderful note on which to close the year for this thread of aviation nuts. This is the one Bond movie I have not seen. Must plug the gap. The model, I mean Nellie, not Akiko, looks very well detailed. A unique aircraft, Jeroen.

Photo below of the largest autogyro built - the Fairey Rotodyne - length 18m; rotor diameter 27m; MTOW 15,000 kgs; power from two 2800 shp turboprops and tip mounted jet pulsars (!!!) to assist in a short take-off and assisted landing.

Happy New Year to all the aviation enthusiasts on this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-1920pxsff_0021055526_fairey_rotodyne.jpg  

Old 31st December 2018, 14:24   #655
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Photo below of the largest autogyro built - the Fairey Rotodyne - length 18m; rotor diameter 27m; MTOW 15,000 kgs; power from two 2800 shp turboprops and tip mounted jet pulsars (!!!) to assist in a short take-off and assisted landing.
I do not know if any ready made model exist of the Fairey Rotodyne, but Airfix used to have a kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1225...airey-rotodyne

Apparently the helicopter museum in Somerset has a 1:1 version.

Jeroen
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:54   #656
BHPian

Quote:

The Little Nellie

Little Nellie packs quite a punch. In the movie that is.

She is actually a variant on the Wallis WA-116 Agile. In real life, I am not sure what these little aircrafts were used for. I have flown most type of aircrafts with fixed wings, any number, any sort of propulsion (and no propulsion), flown in balloon, hovercrafts, but I have yet to fly a gyro-copter. Must put it on my to do list!

I have just come back from a weekend away with my wife. We went to Groningen, way up north in the Netherlands. About 240km / 2.5 hours driving from were we live. Lovely town. We went into one of the many brocante/vintage/bric-a-brac shops. They had a series of models of just about every James Bond movie vehicle ever. From the moon buggy to the Triumph Stag, Toyata 2000, BMW etc. etc. For some of the models I had to think hard which movie they were in. They were all brand new, still in the box. But little Nellie was sitting on top of this pile of James Bond vehicle, without a box. They wanted Euro 4 for it, which is less than the price of cup of coffee at Starbucks these days. Bought two little fire trucks too.

But I am particularly pleased with little Nellie. It has great detail, the rotor blades fold as well!

Jeroen
Thats a very interesting model! what scale is it?
I wonder whats the advantage of an Autogyro over a conventional helicopter apart from the cost and size.

If the other models were also the price you had mentioned this model you should have bought all of them
Old 2nd January 2019, 12:45   #657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder whats the advantage of an Autogyro over a conventional helicopter apart from the cost and size.
No advantage as such. It was a step in between STOL aircraft and a true VTOL helicopter. One thing though - because the rotor is so big compared to weight an autogyro does not stall or crash. If all power fails the auto-spinning rotor will act as a provider of lift as well as a brake.

Boeing C-17 Globemaster; 1:200 scale, Hogan; mix of plastic and balsa wood (I think)

Needs no introduction on this thread. The IAF wanted a second squadron. By the time the MoD got around to finally placing the order Boeing informed them that the production line was being shut down! The British may have invented bureaucracy but we are the true global masters. I am hoping to find a C-130H and An-32 in IAF colours.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20190102_121051_bokeh.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20190102_121207.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20190102_121313.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20190102_121340.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20190102_121432.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20190102_121457.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2019, 13:16   #658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats a very interesting model! what scale is it?

If the other models were also the price you had mentioned this model you should have bought all of them
I am not 100% sure of the scale, but it is probably 1:43 or thereabouts.

The big advantage of gyrocopters was/is the fact that the main rotor is not powered. It essentially autorotates all the time. Which in theory makes it very safe.

All the 007 models were offered at Euro 7,50. Most other models at Euro 5. I did buy two more fire engines. I am not a model collector perse. I only buy specific models of stuff I really like. so my little collection is a completely odd one, different scales, different brands etc.

Jeroen
Old 2nd January 2019, 20:52   #659
Distinguished - BHPian

Airbus A400M; 1:200 scale, Luva make (a Netherlands product); plastic

Length about 9"; Wingspan about 8"; equipped with refuelling pods on outer wing pylons with hose-drogue streaming pipes

The Airbus A400M is positioned as an intermediate size and range between the Lockheed C-130 and the Boeing C-17, carrying cargo too large or too heavy for the C-130 while able to use rough landing strips. It has been advertised with the tagline "transport what the C130 cannot to places that the C17 can’t".

The partners involved in making it are France, Germany, UK, Italy, Spain, Turkey and Malaysia. 174 are on order with 72 delivered. The aircraft had a long a protracted development process mainly due to the slow development cycle for the engines.

The A400M is now fully established. Powered by four 11,000 shp turboprops it can transport a maximum of 37 tonnes. A 30-tonne payload can be moved 4500 kms and a 20-tonne payload 6400 kms. With a MTOW of 141 tonnes its closest comparable aircraft is the IL-76 Candid; though the IL-76 is larger and heavier. The A400M’s cruise speed of 780 kmph compares well with the Tu-114’s 770 kmph – both use 8 blades per shaft.

Countries such as Turkey & Malaysia thought ahead, stayed humble and became co-production partners in the programme and in return learnt something from the wealth of best practices Airbus brings to the table. It is a first step to being a bigger partner tomorrow in some other major programme. This was another bus we missed.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-airbus-a400m.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-a400m-2.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-airbus-a400m-3.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-b92c7ea580984c6ebe20f0e5b4d8f131-002.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2019, 09:33   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Countries such as Turkey & Malaysia thought ahead, stayed humble and became co-production partners in the programme and in return learnt something from the wealth of best practices Airbus brings to the table. It is a first step to being a bigger partner tomorrow in some other major programme. This was another bus we missed.
A400M is a beauty. Thanks for sharing the pics.

OT: as long as we do not build enough confidence around our quality (of manufacturing) there is no production opportunities coming our way.

Few private players have generated hope, let's see where it leads us in this and next decade.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks