Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2019, 00:01   #886
BHPian

re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

Drrrrrrrr...Drrrrrrr <Rolling Drums> Phantom says, "when jungle drums roll means big Indian entry coming tomorrow" Drrrrrrr...Drrrrrrrr....Boom Boom

Hint - it starts with a 'P' and ends with an 'I'
and belongs to the Navy Would like some nice pics showcasing its size!
Old 9th June 2019, 14:03   #887
BHPian

Quote:
it starts with a 'P' and ends with an 'I'
Sir eagerly waiting for photos your Indian Navy Poseiden P8i.

To foxbat, skanchan - How are you storing your models?
Old 9th June 2019, 15:29   #888
Distinguished - BHPian

Boeing P-8I, Long Range Maritime Patrol (LRMP) aircraft, Indian Navy :: 1:100 scale, made of resin & wood :: Toys & Models Corporation, Philippines under design permission from Boeing; probably custom built
Wingspan ~15”; Length over 16”. High quality of finish, markings, but with limited etchings for the flight surfaces.

I owe this master piece to our brother BHPian, Foxbat. As he was cruising over the internet terrain at Mach 2.8 at 85,000 feet his recce camera spotted this P-8I on sale. Nothing misses Foxbat’s eyes – not skanchan95’s missing probe nor this P-8I on sale :-) .Bravo Foxbat; many thanks for pointing me to it. It was rather expensive what with freight and customs but being a once in a flying hour opportunity my Su-30MKI emptied the piggy bank and dived onto the target with a long range R-77 shot. And here we are. This piece it seems to me, from the way it is made, that it was made for a potential buyer who did not use it and put it up for sale via ezToys. Toys & Models, Factory Direct Models specialize in making customized aircraft models for the OEMs to give out to customers. This piece seems to be one that became surplus.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-boeing-p8i-.jpg
Unlike borders on land which are well defined there are no borders at sea at least from a military point of view – except the few nautical miles of territorial waters along each country's coast. And as the oceans occupy over 2/3rds of the planet vast areas need to be monitored for activity that might be adversarial. I wonder why we call our home planet Earth as it would be more appropriate to call it planet Sea! The best way to monitor the oceans quickly is through large slow flying aircraft that can stay aloft for hours and search the sea surface and under-surface for mischief makers. Enter the Long Range Maritime Patrol aircraft. In peace time these long range patrol aircraft are our first gate guardians for tracking shipping, non-State mischief makers, pirates, naval vessels of our adversaries and submarine intrusions.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-boeing-p8i-b.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-boeing-p8i-b2.jpg
Range & endurance is classified but likely to be in the 12 hour bracket. As its uniquely capable sensors permit it to patrol at high altitudes it flies a lot faster on patrol and thus covers a larger expanse of the ocean in the same time. On station patrol speed is classified but could easily be 400 knots (725 kmph) at 30,000 feet versus 200 to 250 knots at 5000' for other LRMPs. This high speed high altitude patrol with the ability to launch weapons from 30,000' is unique amongst LRMPs.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-boeing-p8i-c.jpg
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-boeing-p8i-c2.jpg
The P-8I’s avionics-sensor suite can easily be assumed to be the most advanced of any military aircraft in India. The Indian P-8I carries BEL developed equipment such as the IFF (Identification of Friend or Foe) system and a datalink system so that ships, aircrafts and shore establishments acting in concert can all share the same picture from the sensors. The weapon systems are designed for offensive missions against surface and submarine targets as well as surveillance, electronic warfare and reconnaissance

Its weapon delivery is designed to operate at 30,000' glide down to sea level and then switch on. In this respect it is unique amongst LRMPs the world over. Some may say that the aircraft received by India have some equipment tuned down from the American configuration but even after that they remain very advanced and formidable machines. The Navy has 8 in service with 4 for delivery by 2020 and plans expressed for a further 12. Unit cost ~US$ 220 million.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-boeing-p8i-d.jpg
The Indian Navy’s P-8I, unlike other P-8’s also carries the Magnetic Anomaly Detector (MAD) ie the sting in the tail. This, as you may know, measures the disturbance in the Earth’s natural magnetic field when a large steel object passes through it. It is the last line or at times the first line of defence to detect a submarine moving underwater.

Going my longevity of LRMPs in service with the IN we could safely expect the P-8I, in continuous upgrades, to be in service with the IN till the 2050s. the P-8I was the first major acquisition of an American aircraft by India after the C-119 Packet transports in the mid-1950s.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-boeing-p8i-e.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-boeing-p8i-g.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-boeing-p8i-i.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-boeing-p8i-j.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-boeing-p8i-k.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-boeing-p8i-l.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 9th June 2019 at 15:37.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2019, 17:55   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post

My models are displayed in the living room which happens to have a lot of shelves for displaying models. Looks good but it acts as a dust magnet and its tedious to dust frequently. I have a few cabinets with glass doors which are much more suitable for displaying models but they have limited space. Currently my shelves are full and so not purchasing any big models anymore.

Name:  Screen Shot 20190609 at 5.30.17 pm.png
Views: 900
Size:  270.2 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 20190609 at 5.31.40 pm.png
Views: 869
Size:  124.6 KB

Quote:
Boeing P-8I, Long Range Maritime Patrol (LRMP) aircraft, Indian Navy :: 1:100 scale, made of resin & wood :: Toys & Models Corporation, Philippines under design permission from Boeing; probably custom built
Wingspan ~15”; Length over 16”. High quality of finish, markings, but with limited etchings for the flight surfaces.
Absolutely superb! Its huge and looks great in Indian Navy colors.
I like the fact they made it fully armed with harpoons and the base stand is huge and really high quality.

I wish the etchings were a bit more detailed but I guess its a rarity in models this size made of wood and resin.

There is a 1:100 747(USAF YAL-1A Airborne Laser Boeing 747 ) also on sale for just $25 more which is 2 ft long !
Old 10th June 2019, 10:02   #890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Jumping in nevertheless. Proper display is always a challenge. Over time I had two display pieces made to fit into unwanted nooks and corners of the apartment. But as you can see from the 6 aircraft displayed on the unit space remains a problem. Some pieces have started overflowing into the dining room much to my better half's consternation. She has a decently sized home-office and my suggestion that a few models be displayed there didn't go down too well. I wonder why:-). With units lying outside dusting is always an issue - and it is something you need to do yourself - cannot be delegated to a maid.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20190610_094045.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20190610_094357.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20190610_094803.jpg  

Old 10th June 2019, 11:46   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
My models are displayed in the living room which happens to have a lot of shelves for displaying models. .
Quote:
Jumping in nevertheless. Proper display is always a challenge. . ek:.
Thank you Foxbat and Narayan Sir for such a valuable inputs you both have given me.

Mandrain Airlines ERJ 190 1:200
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rps20190610_113910.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-rps20190610_114219.jpg
FrozeninTime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 13:17   #892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For the moment, they are stored in labeled cartons . I have 8-10 big cartons like that.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-20190610_130752.jpg

I've kept on delaying getting a display cabinet built mostly because of my laziness but I hope to have a biggish,dust proof display cabinet built soon.

Quote:
Fantastic!!! Another unique one in your collection.
I believe the P-8I has been christened "Neptune" in Indian Navy service. INAS 312 flying the P-8I has been renamed as "Sky Lions", after the Bears were retired. Earlier INAS 312 were known as Albatross. When the P-8Is came in and for a short time the P-8s and Tu-142s were part of the same squadron, the A flight flying the P-8I were known as Skylions and B Flight flying the Tu-142 continued using the Albatross name, till they were retired.

Rival Airbus's A319 based MPA never moved beyond the design stage I suppose. The P-8I is in service with the navies/air forces of US, India, Britain and Australia and as you say, it will continue flying till the 2050s easily.

One day I would like to visit Delhi just to have a look at the beauties you have in your collection. You collection is quite something.

Quote:
Very nice. Not many ERJs around. Hogan Wings is it?
Old 10th June 2019, 21:01   #893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Beautiful aircraft. The ERJ with that nose and tail plane is a classic good looker and now a very successful regional jet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
For the moment, they are stored in labeled cartons . I have 8-10 big cartons like that.
Aaarrgghh!!?!!
Quote:
I've kept on delaying getting a display cabinet built mostly because of my laziness but I hope to have a biggish,dust proof display cabinet built soon.
Yes sir. Do it.
Quote:
Another unique one in your collection.
Quote:
One day I would like to visit Delhi just to have a look at the beauties you have in your collection. Your collection is quite something.
A meal has been reserved for you.
Old 10th June 2019, 21:24   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
For the moment, they are stored in labeled cartons. I have 8-10 big cartons like that.
Very nice. Not many ERJs around. Hogan Wings is it?
I have kept my models in cupboard and wanted an idea to display/store these models.Thank you all - Sandesh, Foxbat and Narayan Sir for inputs

The ERJ is Hogan. Decent quality and price.

Quote:
A meal has been reserved for you.
What about me Sir?
Old 10th June 2019, 21:40   #895
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What about me Sir?
I see you are based on Delhi. Come over. Let's co-ordinate via the PM. I will be in town from 17th to 30th. It will be a pleasure to meet you.:-)
Old 10th June 2019, 22:04   #896
BHPian

Quote:
Come over. Let's co-ordinate via the PM. I will be in town from 17th to 30th. It will be a pleasure to meet you.:-)
Thanks for invitation Sir. Pleasure is mine to meet you sir. However I will not be able to meet you this month sir as I am out of station till end of July.
Sir if it's alright with you after July as per your convenience we can meet.
Old 18th June 2019, 18:02   #897
Distinguished - BHPian

My extra marital love affair with Russian aircraft continues....

Antonov An-225 Mriya, World’s heaviest commercial aircraft :: Herpa :: 1:400 scale, diecast
Thanks to its size in real life even at the 1:400 scale it is a decently sized model about 8+ inches in length and with a wing span just under 9 inches. Good finish as is to be expected from Herpa with flying surfaces etched in.

The An-225 is an ‘ever’ aircraft - the longest aircraft ever, aircraft with the heaviest take-off weight ever, the largest payload lifted ever, most powerful engine thrust ever, highest number of wheels ever……

The An-225 was designed using the An-124 as the base, adding fuselage plugs fore and aft of the wings and a new section of the wing at the wing root with one extra engine mounting on each side. The single tall tail plane of the An-124 was replaced by the twin tail planes to enable carriage of the Buran space shuttle. It retained the lifting visor like nose of the An-124 and the kneeling front landing gears to facilitate loading of large & heavy pieces of cargo.

Due to the collapse of the USSR only one aircraft got built and a 2nd was left 70% complete. It remains in full service transporting large cargo pieces to all parts of the globe. It is owned by Antonov Airlines. It has carried the longest air cargo ever – two 42-metre wind mill blades from China to Denmark. Compare this with the length of a Airbus A320, which we are familiar with, of 38 metres! It also set a world record for lifting 253 tonnes of cargo. Further it holds the world record of transporting the single heaviest piece of cargo – a generator weighing 188 tonnes.

In some ways it was the pinnacle of aircraft designing under the USSR. The Chinese are now interested in getting the incomplete 2nd airframe completed and buying out the design.

I am getting a bit tight on decorative display space so these smaller models only a few inches in length are a welcome relief. Now to go for the An-22 and An-32 and An-24/26 and An-2
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-an225-a1.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-an225-b.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-an225-c.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-an225-d.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-an225-e.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-an225-f.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-an225-g.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-an225-h.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-an225-i.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-an225-j.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-an225-k.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 12:49   #898
Distinguished - BHPian

Airbus A380, world largest commercial airliner :: 1:400 scale, Herpa :: diecast
Very good stenciling and paintwork; wheels roll; finish is of the good quality we expect from Herpa.

This came as a complimentary from Airbus painted in their house colours. Posting here a year plus after getting this model. I don't recall if I have posted it before and could not find it on this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-airbus-a380-1.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-airbus-a380-2.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-airbus-a380-3.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-airbus-a380-4.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-airbus-a380-5.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-airbus-a380-7.jpg  

Old 19th June 2019, 15:07   #899
BHPian

Quote:
My extra marital love affair with Russian aircraft continues....

Antonov An-225 Mriya, World’s heaviest commercial aircraft :: Herpa :: 1:400 scale, diecast
Thanks to its size in real life even at the 1:400 scale it is a decently sized model about 8+ inches in length and with a wing span just under 9 inches. Good finish as is to be expected from Herpa with flying surfaces etched in.

Thats one more rare model in your collection. and also the biggest 1:400 aircraft model possible ! You have to acknowledge Herpa's models, they make rare Russian aircraft and not just the common western airliners. I saw it online and its pretty expensive for a 1:400 but I guess the An-225 is huge making the model comparable in size to a mid size 1:200 model. Did it come with a stand? Two negative points about Herpa models is that many don't come with stands and they are not as detailed as a comparable InFlight or GeminiJets models in terms of aerials and fine printing.

Quote:
Airbus A380, world largest commercial airliner :: 1:400 scale, Herpa :: diecast
Very good stenciling and paintwork; wheels roll; finish is of the good quality we expect from Herpa.
Along with the largest aircraft we have the largest passenger aircraft
It would be good to place your 1:400 747-200 in the group and see the size comparisons.

I have two A380s in 1:200 but in plastic, both are huge and hard to find a decent place to display.

Last edited by Foxbat : 19th June 2019 at 15:09.
Old 22nd June 2019, 10:14   #900
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Fellow Aircraft Enthusiasts,

Need help. I am trying to complete the Antonov collection. So an An-22 1:500 has been ordered. As funds permit I'll find the right An-2 and An-24/26. The one I cant spot is our very own An-32. In case any of you know of one please do point me to it. Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes,
Narayan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks