Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2019, 17:57   #121
BHPian

Re: The Cashless Transactions Thread (apps, wallets etc.)

UPI is one of the best innovations in payment platforms and working quite robustly since 2016.
You can pay to even those not having a VPA using UPI platform using acno and IFSC.

PhonePe, Google Pay and Paytm are arguably most popular UPI apps but many others are good as well.
It's easy to write automation of payments form your own software systems using UPI. It's easy to raise UPI based invoices with QR code
having data that can help you reconcile transactions.

I prefer PhonePe. Google Pay sometimes gives strange "server busy" kind of errors and I am not really a great fan of Paytm.
I have not used any other means of payment in last 3 years (NEFT/IMPS) after launch of UPI because of its so many benefits.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th July 2019 at 17:09. Reason: line space edited
Old 12th July 2019, 12:40   #122
BHPian

Given today’s day and age this should have been a more active thread.

Was researching on UPI options due to a situation where I need to make payment on bank holidays. Such occurrence may keep arising in the future. Yes IMPS is an alternative but the transaction is charged. For that matter ICICI (which I use for house/utilities/sundry payments) charges me even for NEFT while the other two banks I use don’t.

Tried using ICICI for UPI. It turns out that as far as ICICI UPI is concerned, you need to have the Virtual Payment Address (VPA) to make a transfer/payment. It won’t work otherwise.

Have also concluded that with PhonePe you can make payments to bank account, phone number or VPA as well. At this time I am assuming UPI does not attract transfer charges, not sure if the assumption is true for all apps/merchant banks or not.
Old 12th July 2019, 16:21   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Now a few questions - how anonymous is UPI?

- Are both my UPI ids now linked to the same bank account?
Yes, you can link any number of UPI ids to single bank account.
Quote:
- When I send money to someone what will he see? Will he see my primary ID or other id or all ids?
Only the id from which you send it. Not other Ids.
Quote:
- Will he see my name or bank's name? Will see any account number?
Your name, yes. No for bank name or account number. That way UPI is pretty much anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Google Pay refuses to recognise my ICICI Bank account tied to my phone number, though it's been the registered contact on that account for a decade+.
Have been using GPay with my ICICI bank account for an year now. No such issues. Probably because of joint account as someone was saying.
Old 23rd July 2019, 20:25   #124
BHPian

So after a test transaction of transfer from one account into another which was executed/completed in like 2 seconds, the second transaction I did next day with “PhonePe” ran into a problem. While trying transfer to a Kotak bank current account of a company, PhonePe repeatedly gave a transaction error message. Gave up after about 6 tries over course of 1.5 hours.
Using the same details and a NEFT payee transfer route from my bank account, the transfer happened in one go.

Not sure why the repeated error in case of PhonePe. Shouldn’t be the case that UPI can’t be used for instances where receiving is a Current Account.

The other point is if you don’t want to give out your phone number to the receiver in PhonePe then click top left photo/avatar icon and select “my BHIM UPI ID”. In the next screen- enter an ID name that you want to use, and check it to make it your default ID. If this step is not performed then PhonePe by default will keep giving out your phone number to the receiver. I got to know after making the test transaction into my other bank account. The entry there was clearly mentioning my phone number.

Last edited by maven : 23rd July 2019 at 20:34. Reason: Added more details
Old 10th August 2019, 00:56   #125
BHPian

I have been using Paytm, Google Pay and PhonePe Apps quite regularly now for paying various utility and shopping bills. I maintain a minimum balance in the Savings Account linked to the UPI for safety reasons. Was just wondering about the Cashback concept, who exactly pays for/gives that? And what is the value apart from the Balance in the App Wallet?
Old 10th August 2019, 07:10   #126
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Was just wondering about the Cashback concept, who exactly pays for/gives that?
The venture capitalist in case of startups. Most of startups are loss making. All the losses are paid for by the venture capitalists. In case of Google, the losses are funded by profits from search. Google makes huge money in search which used to fund all other loss makers in the hope that one of them will eventually make it.

Last edited by carboy : 10th August 2019 at 07:11.
Old 11th September 2019, 11:45   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

I am having an issue with a payment made to Videocon D2H through Phonepe UPI.

So, I paid around Rs. 1100 to Videocon D2H a few days ago. The transaction was successful and was paid through Phonepe. The amount was deducted from my wife's account (as I used her account to make the transaction) but the D2H account was not recharged. On enquiring with D2H support, they reverted that they have not received any money. I contacted phonepe support, and they say that they have credited the money to d2h guys and their 'partner bank has confirmed the receipt'. All in all, I am stuck between these guys. I have tried speaking with the bank and they say that I need to wait for 3 days which is today. Also, by now, my D2H is disconnected due to non-payment.

How to get out of this deadlock, can anyone suggest?

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 12:35   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I am having an issue with a payment made to Videocon D2H through Phonepe UPI.
I have had similar issue last year with Tata Sky payment through Payzapp. The money was debited but the DTH provider said they have not received the amount. The Bank (HDFC in my case) asked me to get on mail from Tata Sky that they have not received the payment, which the Tata Sky team did and then forwarded the same to HDFC support, after due scrutiny they credited back the amount in my account. The whole loop took around 20 days to close, in the meantime Tata Sky was kind enough to extend my subscription on credit basis (the balance to be deducted as and when received) for 8 days and then I finally recharged again.

I would suggest you get in touch with Videocon and asked them give on mail that they have not received the payment and forward it to Phonepe. I do understand in the meanwhile you will not be able to continue watching TV but thats the only way I see of ending the deadlock.
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 13:34   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
I would suggest you get in touch with Videocon and asked them give on mail that they have not received the payment and forward it to Phonepe. I do understand in the meanwhile you will not be able to continue watching TV but thats the only way I see of ending the deadlock.
Thanks Prafful. I have mailed the Nodal officer of D2H informing them of the issue. So far, I have nothing from videocon in writing to pursue this forward.

Regards,
Saket
Old 14th November 2019, 16:10   #130
BHPian

Google Pay - ICICI Bank combo

Of late, I am observing a lot of failures for my Google Pay-ICICI Bank combination. Getting the "Bank sent an error" message for almost half the transactions :-(.

Anybody getting the same?
Old 14th November 2019, 16:48   #131
Team-BHP Support

Re: Google Pay - ICICI Bank combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Of late, I am observing a lot of failures for my Google Pay-ICICI Bank combination. Getting the "Bank sent an error" message for almost half the transactions :-(.

It's been happening quite a bit. In my case, both SBI and ICICI. Worst are instances where transactions fail after money is debited from the account. UPI support is atrocious, and getting your money back is quite a runaround.
Old 15th November 2019, 10:50   #132
Senior - BHPian

Re: Google Pay - ICICI Bank combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post

Yes, it happened to me. But via Citibank. I paid at a shop. The payment didn't go through. It said 'bank error' and it will take 3 days for the bank to approve. Neither I or the shop keeper was willing to wait for 3 days. I paid via cash and was planning to raise a dispute in case the amount was deducted. But no amount was deducted.
Old 15th November 2019, 11:19   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Happened around 10 days back to me. Gpay+HDFC combo. I paid for a stay at hotel. The amount was around 4K. Transaction failed but the amount was deducted. Waited till next day, neither the transaction went through, nor amount was refunded. Finally had to pay 4K in cash and move. Thankfully, the amount was refunded next day.

One thing I have noticed is that in Google Pay, if transaction fails and the amount has been deducted, it will not reach the beneficiary even later. The amount will be credited back. Anyone with any other experience?
Old 15th November 2019, 11:37   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
.... The amount will be credited back. Anyone with any other experience?
I disputed a transaction worth a few hundred rupees that never reached the recipient. Raised a dispute on the GPay app. A month later it still showed the same message it showed on day 1 (that the dispute is raised and I should get a response in 7 days or something). Changed phones and lost transaction history (weird), so if it was a big amount and I hadn't kept details, it would've been worse, finding transaction details on my bank account.

No response by reaching their listed support email either. Thankfully and surprisingly, SBI UPI support is very responsive and helpful and I got my money back within a day of reporting it to them. They only asked for transaction secrenshots and reversed the transaction.

I deleted GPay and if I ever need to use UPI as a last resort, I do it directly from my bank's app (most over the counter vendors these days keep an all-in-one UPI QR Code). I prefer to pay by credit card wherever possible. None of these unsupported payment modes nonsense for me anymore.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th November 2019 at 11:39.
Old 15th November 2019, 12:00   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I deleted GPay and if I ever need to use UPI as a last resort, I do it directly from my bank's app (most over the counter vendors these days keep an all-in-one UPI QR Code). I prefer to pay by credit card wherever possible. None of these unsupported payment modes nonsense for me anymore.
The support at UPIs are almost next to nil. I had an issue with payment at VD2H a couple of months ago for about 1100 rupees via Phonepe which dragged over for about 20 days to be resolved. I have posted the same above here in this page as well. D2H said they haven't received money and Phonepe said they have credited to D2H account. And I was made the scapegoat in between, dealing with both at a time. Dealing with Videocon D2H was so frustrating that Phonepe guys felt like at the pinnacle of service support in comparison!

Most Viewed