Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2017, 21:05   #31
Sip
BHPian

Re: Thanks-giving Criteria : What are yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Gentlemen, what are your "THANKS"'giving criteria for various posts by members on Team-BHP?
Gentleman i fully agree and often followed the most of your cited reasons for thanking. Though this for the first time I came across such full blown elaborations on the subject and thanks for this thread as it also provides a peep into the minds of guys about whom till now I knew by reading shared stuff.

I also like and think present format and quality control procedures on TBHP have been meticulously done And millions of people are benefitted from this forum
Old 23rd March 2017, 21:10   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

I am at just under 10,000 thanks given, which is actually *more* than my post count . The simple fact is there is nothing that gives as much pleasure as a well-earned thank you, on the forum or off it.

My criteria are simple:
  • A substitute for "like"- there is a certain type of post I prefer, typically crisp, funny or to-the-point (OP smartcat comes up with several)
  • Informative, useful posts, especially those which involve a fair amount of analysis and forethought.
  • Well-written travelogues and route information posts. I depend upon these to plan my own roadtrips!
  • Any post with fantastic pictures.
  • Any post moving my threads out from Assembly Line (this has reduced after making mod )
  • Ownership review updates especially those where significant milestones are crossed (e.g. 100,000 km, tyre change etc.)

I also confess that after thanking a post I enjoy pressing the + button to check who else has thanked the same post!
Old 23rd March 2017, 21:21   #33
BHPian

I'm usually the kind of bhpian who posts against the popular view in a given forum. So anyone who agrees with me gets a 'Thanks' from me.

Also, don't think adding a Like button makes sense. Thanks is basically serving the same purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You must miss the button in our shifting gears forum eh?
I don't know about other threads but the photography thread definitely deserves a Thanks button. Photography is a skill that needs to be appreciated.

Also, since Thanks doesn't affect the post count, it's most welcome in any forum.
Old 23rd March 2017, 21:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
My criteria is quite straight forward:
1) Something new
2) Something humorous
3) A brilliant piece of writing
4) A brilliant initiative

Hence, right now I am annoyed because I want to thank @smartcat for this thread, but I am unable to. You listening mods?
I second You on that!

I am a thanks giving miser myself, but would appreciate any creative or helpful posts that are good enough.

And Yes - Why is the "thank" button missing here? Just wanted to 'thank' few posts here
Old 23rd March 2017, 21:56   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

When I thank is when I feel:

- Yeah, right.
- Hahaha..
- Wow, is it?
- Thanks for the amazing post.
Old 24th March 2017, 01:17   #36
BHPian

Almost all my reasons for thanking someone (or someone’s post) have been covered here already and hence I won’t repeat them.

Since we are discussing about ‘Thanks’ feature here, it is also interesting to know how ‘Thanks’ helps while reading posts on Team-BHP.

Here is my answer:
When I am in real hurry and don’t have time to read everything in a thread, I usually just scroll down fast and read the posts which have been thanked more than once.

Disclaimer: It does not mean that other posts in the thread are of less value, it is just my way of going really fast through the thread while not missing any posts which I think are important.

EDIT: I just realized that my signature is contrary to what I am saying here.

Last edited by Hrishi_111 : 24th March 2017 at 01:20.
Old 24th March 2017, 02:54   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks --- I enjoyed your post

Thanks --- your post gave me information that I needed

Thanks --- your post said something that needed to be said, even if it wasn't a nice thing to say

Thanks --- for taking a lot of trouble

Thanks --- for answering my post but I mustn't post a 'thanks' single-liner

And probably other stuff as well.

(I thought this thread was going to be about that thing that Americans do, which I have never known why or what for or anything really, except... turkey)
Old 24th March 2017, 07:20   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thanks --- I enjoyed your post

Thanks --- your post gave me information that I needed

Thanks --- your post said something that needed to be said, even if it wasn't a nice thing to say

Thanks --- for taking a lot of trouble

Thanks --- for answering my post but I mustn't post a 'thanks' single-liner

And probably other stuff as well.

(I thought this thread was going to be about that thing that Americans do, which I have never known why or what for or anything really, except... turkey)
Good list. I follow the same rules, but seems I'm not consistent. I will try my best to keep your checklist when I read a post. (I'll create a post-it on my screen).

Oh! Google about Thanksgiving Day and draw your own conclusions about humankind.
Old 24th March 2017, 10:50   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me give a unique view on this, of course I won't be completely answering the original question of the thread given that a lot of views have been shared already, and also because it is what it is, a 'Thanks' button, let the mystery of why a post was thanked remain a mystery, obvious reasons aside.

My hobby has been to find different hobbies every few years, months perhaps, first it was drawing and painting, television shows, reading business journals, playing sports (except cricket) and languages. A few years ago it was automobiles, but I realized it was less about cars and more about the freedom and conveniences it brought to life, that is when I joined Team-BHP, a place about which I certainly had my reservations before applying, the cognitive dissonance about the site out in the internet is massive, including that of it being hard to get in, that unless one is truly all-knowledgeable one cannot survive.

The reason I mentioned the list of hobbies as above is because I have joined exactly 4 forums till date, this included. The others - one is about languages, one about horology (my latest fascination) and the last about American shows/popular culture.. each forum is so dreadfully managed that it stunned me, the horology site is only for the extremely knowledgeable and has no restrictions on attitude, I was nearly chewed up and spit out for just making simple/near-insignificant errors about brands or technicalities but that kind of taunting made me an expert in no time lol, of course it has a "Like" button but its not used for the most part. The others were also poorly managed with no history of posts of other users, bad classifications and of course nearly no identity of the posting profile (such as date joined, post count or Likes count).

Not that they matter, in the larger scheme of things nothing matters but three sites which have American parents/managed by Americans have little in terms of control on members, zero moderation (except very active in banning or deletion of posts without warning) and nothing to connect to, individually. That's the reason I hardly posted 5-10 times in them, and now I don't think I remember the accounts at all. Team-BHP simply works in every level, be it the classification of threads, the strict community rules, emphasis on clear communication, and a simple effective form of recognizing a post (Thanks button), for that I've always made sure GTO and the moderators know that their efforts have paid off. Forums without a feedback system (such as a button for Like or Thanks, wither away for some strange reason, perhaps because the members have no idea how their posts have impacted).

A sense of rules and decorum is very important and I've tried my best to accept any view, a view is afterall a personal opinion and everyone must have the right to express what they hate, like or absolutely regret about a brand without having to hear too many counter-arguments. That's the only way companies too, may learn to improve seeing that so many of them keep tabs on this site. I've seen others and I recognize exactly what Team-BHP has done to keep it as a community and a place where one can share experiences beyond the 4 wheels. This post is my 'Thanks' for that. As I've said before, cars no longer excite me as they did before, maybe its just me moving on to the next hobby, but I'll always come back here irrespective.
Old 24th March 2017, 13:31   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Good list. I follow the same rules, but seems I'm not consistent. I will try my best to keep your checklist when I read a post. (I'll create a post-it on my screen).
There is no need to be consistent. Just say "Thank you" when you feel like saying it.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 14:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

I would rather find a reason for NOT thanking a person or post. In my opinion, we do not need reasons to thank anyone.

Being graceful and thankful to human kind is one of the basic behavior of Human beings !

Having said that, I should now justify, why I will NOT thank a post. The reasons are

1. If the post is too long and loses my interest and concentration, I will not read entire post. So, I lose the authority to thank
2. If the post says same opinion which is told by many people earlier, I feel I should still thank the person for having the same opinion as others but, I donot thank
3. When a post completely contradicts my conviction(Not opinion), I will NOT thank such posts
Old 6th May 2023, 15:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

The Thanks button is, in most cases, an adequate means of acknowledgement, agreement and appreciation. It helps maintain the quality of discussion by eliminating the also ran posts.

However, there are times when hitting the thanks icon doesn't really cut it for me. Take for instance this very interesting repartee:

Responding to a post that mentioned how a passenger on board an Air India flight was stung by a scropion, Bhpian Mustang Swamy had this to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
Damn that’s scary. What next, snakes on the plane?

Hopefully it wasn’t a ScorpioN sent by Mahindra to sabotage Tata.
All I want to do is smile!

And tell him that his timely wit and veiled references have made me smile.

Will thanking the post be enough indication of that?

I think yes but I also think otherwise!
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks