Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2017, 12:22   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Big Money Fight! Mayweather vs McGregor boxing match

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
Most of Mayweathers previous fights went the whole distance of 12 Rounds. Maybe 1 or 2 KO or TKO (Last I think was Ortiz 2011) in the past 15 odd years (not including the one from yesterday).
Good point!

He's got only 5 KOs in the last 20 fights before this (dating back to 2003), and 21 KOs in the 30 fights before that! (dating back to 1996). Wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
He came over confident and brash that he could handle it. He was wrong and got taken out! Simple, really.
To quote McGregor: "I'm cocky in prediction, confident in preparation, but always humble in victory or defeat."

I'll also point out that if McGregor was a quiet MMA chap, who just came out of nowhere and defeated Mayweather in the boxing ring, it would be phenomenal -- BUT, most people wouldn't even hear about it.

My point: A large part of McGregor's "confident / brash" behaviour is showmanship. It's what creates youtube clips, fired comment sections and many news headlines leading up to the fight. It's marketing.

(Personally I cringed when I watched the face-offs before the fight. It was like a lame comedy show)

After the fight was over, publicity got and money earned, you see the 'humble in defeat' part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Main thing in a fight is fitness, he lost because he was not fit enough. Think about it, he was tired and could not go the distance.
I wouldn't say "main thing", as everyone does dream of that early KO.

In this case I wouldn't even say McGregor was less fit that Mayweather (though it's open to debate).

What I think happened was that Mayweather was smarter and more technical than McGregor, and he simply exhausted McGregor (who was expending way way more energy). That's what really tired him out, after which it was easy pickings for Mayweather.

Another thought: McGregor's best bet to win the fight was a KO. It's very very unlikely he'd win on points if they danced the whole 12 rounds. Mayweather on the other hand is the technical king. This also showed itself in how each fighter approached the fight.

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th August 2017 at 12:27.
Old 29th August 2017, 13:33   #17
BHPian

This is my personal feeling. One will only know if it really happened.

If a boxer as good as Mayweather is competing with a fighter like McGreggor in the octagon, I still feel that a Mayweather will have a slight advantage because a boxer instinctively has faster reactions. One can easily block or duck a kink. Specially someone with the experience of Mayweather. One can also hold the kicking leg and make the aggressor go off balance.

McGreggor vs Nate Diaz can be considered as a MMA guy Vs a Boxer. They fought twice.

First time McGreggor did land several nasty blows on Diaz but towards the end fatigue got to him, and similar to the Mayweather fight, lost all his defenses and finally fell to Diaz.

Second Fight, same story but different result. In this one McGreggor somehow managed to keep himself up for all 5 rounds and went to a split decision in favor of him. Many UFC followers who have seen this fight say McGreggor got lucky to have the decision in his favor. Then again we cannot contest split decisions.

Good news is that UFC is planning on a round 3 between these two before the end of the year. Will be very interesting.

Here is a video of the 2 fights.

Warning - Content is very graphic and there is use of profanity.

Last edited by discobiscuit : 29th August 2017 at 13:34.
discobiscuit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 15:15   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
What I think happened was that Mayweather was smarter and more technical than McGregor, and he simply exhausted McGregor (who was expending way way more energy). That's what really tired him out, after which it was easy pickings for Mayweather.
I think what happened was Conor did not have a defensive tactic as usual. In boxing it is very important to have one if you want to last the whole fight. Instead of using the classical body to the side stance, he came up with a very squared off stance and legs wide like one does in MMA to not fall down with leg kicks. The squared off stance is good but needs to be followed up with a defensive technique as well otherwise you are just leaving too much of your body open to take blows. That is my opinion. He just needed to study boxing more and understand how strategical it gets.

Quote:
This is my personal feeling. One will only know if it really happened.

If a boxer as good as Mayweather is competing with a fighter like McGreggor in the octagon, I still feel that a Mayweather will have a slight advantage because a boxer instinctively has faster reactions. One can easily block or duck a kink. Specially someone with the experience of Mayweather. One can also hold the kicking leg and make the aggressor go off balance.
Mayweather would not last more than two rounds in an MMA fight. No chance. The small gloves means that it is easy for fighters to break the guard especially Conor who is known for being able to do so with ease in MMA, MMA fighters also employ a more squared off stance with legs wide apart which will take Mayweather time to inculcate instinctively. They do this so that they remain stable throughout leg kicks and everything. Mayweather also has very brittle hands now so the small gloves would hurt him a lot. He simply has no other technique and in MMA you seriously got to mix it up or else you are screwed. There are so many people who have tried and failed miserably from Boxing, to wrestling. Even a big guy like Brock Lesnar had his MMA career shot to pieces because he did not have as many skills in his arsenal required to be competitive in an MMA fight. In MMA, using your whole body is what it's all about and Conor easily would have dominated Mayweather in an MMA fight. Check the stats 86% of Conors fights have been won by knockout or technical kockout. All of his losses except this last one against Mayweather, have only been by submission and Mayweather simply doesn't have the wrestling skills required to lock a man into submission.

Anyway eagerly looking forward to the next Conor vs Diaz fight. Its fun to see Conor have a tough time and get beaten up a bit. He usually wins his fights way too soon but Diaz certainly keeps it difficult.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 29th August 2017 at 15:18.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 15:17   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Just listen to Floyd speak (specially handling the press Q&A) in this conference;

Very inspiring

Last edited by karan561 : 29th August 2017 at 15:19.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 15:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I think what happened was Conor did not have a defensive tactic as usual. In boxing it is very important to have one if you want to last the whole fight. Instead of using the classical body to the side stance, he came up with a very squared off stance and legs wide like one does in MMA to not fall down with leg kicks. The squared off stance is good but needs to be followed up with a defensive technique as well otherwise you are just leaving too much of your body open to take blows. That is my opinion. He just needed to study boxing more and understand how strategical it gets.

Mayweather would not last more than two rounds in an MMA fight. No chance. The small gloves means that it is easy for fighters to break the guard especially Conor who is known for being able to do so with ease in MMA, MMA fighters also employ a more squared off stance with legs wide apart which will take Mayweather time to inculcate instinctively. They do this so that they remain stable throughout leg kicks and everything. Mayweather also has very brittle hands now so the small gloves would hurt him a lot. He simply has no other technique and in MMA you seriously got to mix it up or else you are screwed. There are so many people who have tried and failed miserably from Boxing, to wrestling. Even a big guy like Brock Lesnar had his MMA career shot to pieces because he did not have as many skills in his arsenal required to be competitive in an MMA fight. In MMA, using your whole body is what it's all about and Conor easily would have dominated Mayweather in an MMA fight. Check the stats 86% of Conors fights have been won by knockout or technical kockout. All of his losses except this last one against Mayweather, have only been by submission and Mayweather simply doesn't have the wrestling skills required to lock a man into submission.

Anyway eagerly looking forward to the next Conor vs Diaz fight. Its fun to see Conor have a tough time and get beaten up a bit. He usually wins his fights way too soon but Diaz certainly keeps it difficult.
: Good read.

But I personally feel it is not possible. Within two rounds as per your statement is highly impossible. It might go for 5 rounds. McGregor will have difficulty to take down Mayweather to try any submission moves. Smaller and lighter gloves means the speed at which Mayweather punches and the impact caused by it will open up McGregors head and all body punches will leave him breathless.

Anyways, like I said we would never know because that will not happen. Mayweather is now retired and we can leave it at that. Maybe there will be another world champion boxer who might take on the UFC Champion of the respective weight class one day and we can all put this to rest.

Really hoping all the rumors are true and there will be a fight with Nate before the end of the year. He wont get 100 Million for it like he did for this fight considering the fact that he got 1.5 Million for his last fight with Nate lol.

Now that he has seen the big money (knowing the fact that Mayweather banked 300 Million), wonder if McGregor will permanently go into boxing.
Old 29th August 2017, 16:01   #21
BANNED

Quote:
: Good read.

But I personally feel it is not possible. Within two rounds as per your statement is highly impossible. It might go for 5 rounds. McGregor will have difficulty to take down Mayweather to try any submission moves. Smaller and lighter gloves means the speed at which Mayweather punches and the impact caused by it will open up McGregors head and all body punches will leave him breathless.
If Conor can KO a seasoned MMA fighter like Eddie Alvarez in a championship fight in 2 rounds, it is easily possible. Check the stats. Conor's average fight time is less than 10 minutes. He knocks out or tkos his oponents in less than 1.5 rounds (feel free to check the stats). You honestly think a boxer who has no martial arts background and has only used his arms in a very technical sport filled with rules restricting movement, can actually last the whole 5 rounds? Only Nate Diaz who is a bigger fighter, has ever taken the fight to 5 rounds in Conor's entire fight career. Imagine that. Before Nate Diaz's second fight, Conor's longest fight was 3 rounds which he also won and that was only once. Otherwise it has all been either 1 or 2 rounds max. Again, please feel free to check the stats. Mayweather would be at a severe disadvantage facing Conor in an MMA fight. To last more than 1.5 rounds, he'd have to have higher odds than 86% of the seasoned MMA fighters Conor has faced in MMA.

MMA is way more aggressive; it's not just boxing it is boxing, elbowing, spinning elbows, kicks, flying kicks and whole bunch of other moves one can make with their entire body. Mayweather may have speed, but Mcgregor has a stronger core and higher power per punch. Mayweather can duck, but he can't save his shins. Mcgregor need not take Mayweather down and wrestle is what I'm saying. Majority of his fights have been won by KO/TKO. He is a stand up fighter. He made the critical mistake of taking the fight down with Nate Diaz in his 1st fight which lead to him losing. The smaller gloves may give Mayweather a stronger punch but at the end of the day Conor has the higher force per punch statistically speaking. Mayweather does not have the core strength, wrestling technique or skills from any other form of fighting to win a mixed martial arts fight. One can say we will never know but if you seriously follow these fights, techniques, stats and check the history, you would find it hard to believe Mayweather will last more than 2 rounds. I am not being arrogant in my judgment. Arrogance would be Conor saying that he'd win the fight inside 1 round, Infact I am being generous in assuming that Mayweather would last 2 rounds which is higher than the average fight span of any of Conor's opponents. Facts are facts Conor averages 1.5 rounds before a win against seasoned MMA fighters. Only two of his fights in his entire career have lasted more than 2 rounds. I have come to my conclusions based off of statistics. Nothing highly impossible here I invite you to please watch all the fights, go through the statistics, study the differences between the UFC and Boxing and then think about what may be highly impossible

Last edited by IshaanIan : 29th August 2017 at 16:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks