Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2007, 08:50   #16
BHPian

@TSK : I sure hope we don't turn into an Orwellian state! I for one would not want Big Brother to be watching my every move!

@Zappo: I emphatize with you. In fact seeing the way people drive in Hyd prompted me to think of the idea, as I every day I see atleast 3-5 near-misses and arguments between vehicles.

@P4C: It is certainly not possible to have 4 cameras at the 4 sides....I guess only James Bond would have such a car!!! I think the best position would be a forward looking camera, similar to the the set-up of the Police cars cams in the West. In anycase even if someone side-swipes you or kisses your bumper, the motion will be recorded in a shake in the forward viewing image.
Old 27th April 2007, 09:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

You would be spending more time in police stations trying to explain to the cops that you were not holding the cam while driving.
Old 27th April 2007, 09:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Think of implementing it practically, you'll need one mutha of a hard-disk in the car (heat/vibration/dust protected) to store one day's stream. If you plan to archive the footage, a daily transfer to PC and to DVD.

And as e_l said, you'd have a tough time proving you weren't holding a cam while driving.

BTW, you'd also be filming all the speeding, occasional 1-way and U-turn violations and misc. other stuff you do in moments of stupidity (even the most law-abiding of us have those moments). If you need to produce the footage in a court to prove innocence in one thing or to prove somebody did something to you, the entire shebang (including your minor violations which will become "shocking examples of rash & life-threatening driving" in the court, according to the opposition) will become public.

Sorry for being skeptical. I myself have felt the need for something like this from time to time, but it just isn't practical.
Old 27th April 2007, 11:11   #19
BHPian

The way I was thinking, it is more of a detachable dash or roof mounted camera (so that no one steals it at night!!!) that runs off the 9V/12V socket.
It would ideally be used only when driving. I don't know about others but in a day I am on the road for max 2 hours. So memory space may/should not be too much of an issue.
Plus at the end of the day, I have no intention or need to archive or even review the recording unless something happened. Hence I'll be reusing the same menory space the next time.
And yes....even my driving style will be captured...... So I would have to drive more carefully!!!!

But the main point was that I myself am not sure if such a thing would be feasible, practical and legal. I personally think it should feasible to rig some sort of equipment for this. It may/should have its practical use, but I have no idea whether it is legal. Infact I think it will most propbably be considered illegal for a ordinary citizen to install such a setup in the car..... And that then probably throws the whole idea out of the car window.
Old 27th April 2007, 12:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

If you want to just try, how 'bout using a laptop webcam (like the Logitech QuickCam Express) clipped on your dash facing forward, feeding the data into a laptop in the passenger seat? You'll get all forward action with the camera. Or even just a regular medium-end mobile cam-phone would do!

Last edited by hydrashok : 27th April 2007 at 12:02.
Old 27th April 2007, 12:40   #21
BHPian

You do get sport version of camcorders that have a helmet mounted cam attachment to the camcorder itself. It would work out cheaper than a Dedicated Laptop web cam camera. If you already are carrying a webcam on a daily basis then Hydrashok's solution is workable

Helmet Cameras from Bullet Cam. Helmet Cams for motorcycles, boating, hunting and virtually any activity

Amazon.com: Archos Helmet Camcorder (500876): Electronics

instructables : DIY: Bicycle - Steady Cam - mount

can give some ideas
Old 27th April 2007, 14:18   #22
BHPian

Well, this idea is already implemented in many commercial vehicles (especially public buses) in developed world.
Some buses have revolving camera which records inside of the bus (in case of any passenger misbehaving, it can be used as evidence in court) and also other cameras to record frontal traffic of the vehicle (with the purpose of any insurance dispute).
I don't see any reason why you can't do it. If you can fix a tiny camcorder on your dashboard, you can get a decent recording. You can reuse same cassette/disk everyday. Just remember to take it away with you every time you get out of the car You don't need to transfer footage anywhere everyday. It is required only in case of an accident.
The way modern technology is progressing, probably after sometime this will be offered as a factory fitted option.

Last edited by sbasak : 27th April 2007 at 14:19.
Old 27th April 2007, 14:19   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

It would be a unique idea and might work. Unless the camera gets stolen first - which it will.
Old 26th May 2009, 18:49   #24
BHPian

Bumping up this thread.

I had earlier mentioned about the feasibility of installing a dash-cam and got various valid practical responses. That was 2 years back. These days with security issues, I think it would not be possible to install a dash-cam, as cops would think it is being used to record routes and locations for terrorist activities.

I still think it would be good to have a dash-cam, if a practical, working installation and operation solution can be thought of. In the past 2 weeks, I've has two near misses for no fault of mine. I've been lucky that nothing happened.
Old 26th May 2009, 19:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

a solid state recorder, say on SDHC card will be perfect for this. 8 GB can easily store hours of data.

there is no device which can accept RCA input and write to SDHC as video? in endless mode?
Old 26th May 2009, 19:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
there is no device which can accept RCA input and write to SDHC as video? in endless mode?
Cant we get a cheap camera phone and mod it to do the job?
Old 26th May 2009, 20:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

I thought of that. there are solid state camcorders in market to do that too.

I wanted to have the camera in various locations and control+storage near driver's console. hence a need for RCA cable.
Old 27th May 2009, 14:39   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
...there is no device which can accept RCA input and write to SDHC as video? in endless mode?
Ofcourse its possible, i have seen quite a few of them on ebay. (Though im not sure about the "endless mode")

A pretty sweet (and easy) setup would also be a car PC + webcam. Assuming you already have a car PC.

One very important thing that needs to be kept in mind when getting a camera for the car is that the lens needs to be VERY wide angle.

cya
R

PS - I'm sure a readymade camera/device designed just for this purpose already exists -- infact i seem to remember reading about it years back.
Old 27th May 2009, 14:45   #29
Team-BHP Support

Why not a 2000rs DVR which takes SDHC cards. Record VGA and you will actually get hours of video on 8GB card.
The wide angle lens however could be the downer
Old 27th May 2009, 14:47   #30
BANNED

Master, teach me kung fu!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1294731

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks