Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2006, 12:06   #1
BHPian

Automobiles with Video Cameras to be used as Evidence/ feedback

Hi,

Was going through one of the threads started regarding the way accidents are reported by media and thought of sharing something I was discussing with my friends over the last couple of days. Here it is

We get to see/ read about a lot of accidents every day and its really difficult to understand what might have really happened when we go through the information that is there at our disposal.The media reporting, the eye witness acount etc..

Since technology is becoming cheaper and much more affordable, cant we have Video cam sort of devices in our vehicles( 2 wheeler, 4 wheeler, trains etc which can be mounted on every vehicle at some common place where it can give a picture of what is happening front and around). It can be a sort of an economical black box. If we could go through the last 10 minutes of footage lot of things could be revealed.

We spend lakhs together on our vehicles and to have this sort of technology inbuilt in the vehicles would not push the prices to an extent where you are gonna feel the pinch.
Here goes..

What we can have in these systems are
1) Have recording for some preset time and there on the memory could be used in a cyclic manner ( erase old and store the latest)
2) The recorded information should be secure/ tamper proof to an extent. Only authorized personnel can use this information
3) These systems need to be mounted in 3 different strategic places.

How it could help..

1) This recorded information could give a lot of feedback/ data to analyse accidents.
2) It could also give information about the driver’s capabilities/ reactions etc.
3) Also could be used to ascertain insurance/ legal claims.

Cant the manufacturers do something about this and start looking at making this a reality in the near future.

What do you think..

Hurry Home
-The Sage

Last edited by muni : 24th November 2006 at 12:08. Reason: Title change
Old 24th November 2006, 12:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

The above post was originally in the Modification section but the poster prefered to move it to Shifting gears.
Old 24th November 2006, 13:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

you have a very valid point there muni. but in a situation where ABS & air bags, which are such basic security are considered luxury & available only in top variants, where is the place for a camera/cameras to study reasons.
Old 24th November 2006, 16:20   #4
BHPian

hmm

What i felt was incase of casualties where there are deaths caused by reckless driving and there is no proper evidence, these could really helpful to near and dear ones of the affected. It helps in getting justice, insurance claims, analysig driver behaviour, mechanical failures of cars etc..

Am sure it would not cost more than what the ABS or the Airbags would cost.

Hope tis becomes a reality one day.

Last edited by muni : 24th November 2006 at 16:23.
Old 24th November 2006, 16:26   #5
BHPian

I dont think the technical challenges involved in fitting such a device are really huge - I mean reversing cameras are quite common right? But I wonder whether Indian courts (or courts anywhere else for that matter) would admit this sort of evidence into a trial.
Old 24th November 2006, 16:32   #6
BHPian

if u fix a video camera on ny vehicle muni most of the time the owners wud like to use it as a handycam shooting road side views or might even take their bikes for a photoshoot at their friend's party.

all in all its a very valid point in true case of need.
Old 24th November 2006, 17:29   #7
SRK
Senior - BHPian

I think you Idea is great and Possible too...
If car manufactures can give a camera at the back..why not in the front..

The front camera records say about a minute before the car stops...
In an accident case that 1 min can be enough to judge what & who was wrong...
Old 26th April 2007, 14:24   #8
BHPian

Car Cameras.... Realistic option?

Hope this is the correct section for this.

With the way people drive today, I was wondering is it possible and, more importantly, legal to install an in-car video recorder that can be used to prove guilt/innocense in the event of an accident?
The idea came to me while watching the reality clip from the US and European Police cars that normally have a video camera mounted on their dash to record their day to day actions, and it is often used as evidence in court for some cases.
Old 26th April 2007, 14:49   #9
Team-BHP Support

Nice idea.. but not practical, i feel.
In Indian city conditions, we would need cams all round, as we face the risk of being brushed by some auto, or rear ended by a bus/cabbie, or else, someone spitting from a passing bus.
Old 26th April 2007, 20:11   #10
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Right now there are some cameras installed on top of the signals..mostly where there is too much flow of vehicles.

Also I had seen one poilce van here with a street ligh thing on top of it..It was too high and covered..I think it was a camera too..used to capture video in a crowded place..like rock concerts..
Old 26th April 2007, 22:00   #11
Team-BHP Support

yeah.. those are mobile cameras.
Old 26th April 2007, 22:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

In chandigarh we have some traffic lights where we have camera installed and the people who jump the lights are sent pic with the challan
thier three picks i think so
1 the car before the light
2 the car and the light
3 the car crossing the light when the red light is still on

it is all triggered with some sensors under the road
Old 27th April 2007, 00:46   #13
Team-BHP Support

@DriverR, what a coincidence. Just today I experienced a moron in a WagonR who cut across my car, inches in front, at a speed of above 60kmph while overtaking from the wrong side. I swerved violently towrds the divider to avoid a collision. I was lucky... I knew even if I caught up with the bugger he will feign ignorance or will get into a bad verbal duel. Thats when I was thinking that it will be nice to have a camera on the dash to record such incidences which can serve as a proof against such ba**ards.
Old 27th April 2007, 00:54   #14
BHPian

Hi friends,

Idea is good......but how practical it is.....?? and where all would you put cameras ? 1 for front / 2 for rear / 3 for left side / 4 for right side ? and still then you will always find angles....which would have been missed as camera didnt cover it )

Thanks & regards
P4C
Old 27th April 2007, 01:03   #15
Team-BHP Support

So you are saying we need a nanny state watching every move made by the public. WEll we are getting closer to 1984, George Orwell would be proud!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks