Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2018, 15:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 'Standing Desk' Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
How about something like this, that can be used on existing table itself? I am curious to try this, but not fully committed to invest too much.
We are looking for something like this which can be fixed on the existing table. Anyone bought this or any other types?
Old 17th October 2018, 08:34   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Are any BHPians actually seeing benefits from using a standing desk? If so, please list them. Thanks!
Old 17th October 2018, 09:34   #18
BHPian

In our offices in Denmark and Germany, these are the standard equipment. The ones available there are sturdy and spacious. One difference is that these desks are complimented by a height adjustable chair, which has a really big range; comes up to the height of a bar chair. The chair also comes with different positions like lean-on, where you stand and rest your back to it, like standing against a railing. Some advantages that I find for these are:
  • You can get a comfortable sitting position as you can make minute adjustments, which is usually not possible with only an adjustable chair. There can be fine adjustments as they have a continuous movement with literally infinite steps.
  • You can stand up and work, once in a while. Many people, like myself, prefer to do this, without making adjustments to my other setup, like the keyboard, monitor or mouse. I'm very particular about the positioning of each item on my desk
  • If you have a short meeting with somebody at your desk, it's very convenient to do that as a standup meeting. Again, no adjustments need to be made and spraining of the neck to see the monitor etc.
  • Sometimes, I can work off the ground. Put the chair and the table at the maximum height and you are working as if sitting in a bar counter. For some people, it's a very comfortable sitting position.
  • Not unique, but still - The tables have very good cable organization capabilities. The power connectors are neatly concealed and there is a big area where you can route your wires through, at the back end. There are only 2 wires that comes out of the table, one to power the devices and one for the desk mechanism itself.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 21:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Some information for those who are interested in standing desk. I recently purchased one from urban ladder (see the product link below), and got it delivered yesterday. It is priced at 49,999/-. They have a sale going on now, and currently it is available for 39,999/-, a very good deal since not many options for standing table with warranty available in India.
Attachment 1705198

Urbanladder is selling this for 29,999 now, looks like a good price.

https://www.urbanladder.com/products...001&src=subcat
Old 25th November 2018, 22:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Are any BHPians actually seeing benefits from using a standing desk? If so, please list them. Thanks!
Yes absolutely! I work from home every day, and I have been using a standing desk for about 5 months now (brand is Mojo and dealer is in Mumbai; has 4 memory functions that can be preset for specific heights and goes all the way up to 155cm high). I now have absolutely no back pain when doing other tasks - such as washing dishes or washing the car, and find myself way more productive than before. My posture has also significantly improved. I highly recommend it; does take a while to get used to it but there is no going back for me. I use a memory foam anti fatigue mat to stand on and find it super comfortable.
s4ch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 14:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Yes absolutely! I work from home every day, and I have been using a standing desk for about 5 months now (brand is Mojo and dealer is in Mumbai; has 4 memory functions that can be preset for specific heights and goes all the way up to 155cm high). I now have absolutely no back pain when doing other tasks - such as washing dishes or washing the car, and find myself way more productive than before. My posture has also significantly improved. I highly recommend it; does take a while to get used to it but there is no going back for me. I use a memory foam anti fatigue mat to stand on and find it super comfortable.
Can you please list the link to the product that you are using? Is it available online? Details would be welcome and very helpful for others- I am also looking to invest in a good standing desk, but have found most of them to be quite expensive and not worth it quality wise.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 26th November 2018 at 14:58.
Old 26th November 2018, 15:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Aren't there issues talked about if you stand for a prolonged period of time ? I use these when I visit abroad but need to look at the cons. A small walk now and then would do a world of good than standing and working.
Old 26th November 2018, 18:31   #23
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venks View Post
Urbanladder is selling this for 29,999 now, looks like a good price.

https://www.urbanladder.com/products...001&src=subcat

yes, it is a good price. They will keep increasing the price (or rather reduce the discounts) as the sale proceeds. So if you have decided to buy, dont delay too much.
Unfortunately we dont have IKEA in bangalore yet. they have a manual version for 16000/- https://www.ikea.com/in/en/p/skarsta...ite-s79084964/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yes, it has benefits. I purchased a standing desk because of my back pain. But it is not for just easing back pain. You might have already read a lot of research into the ill effects of sitting for long time. Basically, standing uses more muscle groups in your body compared to sitting.
Personally for me it has helped ease the back pain. Please note that you have to watch your posture while standing (like you should be upright and not lean on the table), just like you have to watch your posture while sitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Aren't there issues talked about if you stand for a prolonged period of time ? I use these when I visit abroad but need to look at the cons. A small walk now and then would do a world of good than standing and working.
Yes, standing for prolonged period in not good, just as sitting for prolonged period is not good. Which is why sit-stand desk is better than a tall table. Where you can alternate between sitting and standing -eg Sit for 20-30 mins, then stand for 45 mins.

We can always walk but not always possible for some because of the kind of work we do. I had to sometimes sit for hours before I could take a walk. But with sit-stand desk, I can work and alternate between sitting and standing.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th November 2018 at 09:57. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 26th November 2018, 19:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Sharing a related ny times article
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/19/u...overrated.html
Quote:
Dr. David Rempel, a professor of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, who has written on this issue, said, “Well-meaning safety professionals and some office furniture manufacturers are pushing sit-stand workstations as a way of improving cardiovascular health — but there is no scientific evidence to support this recommendation.”

Last edited by greenhorn : 26th November 2018 at 19:13.
Old 27th November 2018, 09:45   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thank you, guys! Much appreciate the inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
We can always walk but not always possible for some because of the kind of work we do.
Says who? Say hello to the Treadmill Desk:
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 12:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Can you please list the link to the product that you are using? Is it available online? Details would be welcome and very helpful for others- I am also looking to invest in a good standing desk, but have found most of them to be quite expensive and not worth it quality wise.
Their website is: https://mojodesk.co.in/ and they are based in Parel East, Mumbai. Product listing and contact details available on their website.

I bought the Dual Motor Electric Height Adjustable Desk, and as I had ordered 3 the owner himself drove down to Pune to deliver and install. Installation took about 20 mins for them to assemble each desk structure (can easily also be done DIY) - this is without a top. It took me about another 30 mins the next day to attach my own top to the desk (1 inch ply with laminate cover). The maximum load limit is 120Kg so you could even add a glass or marble top if you wanted. The desk width can also be easily adjusted as per your requirements.

All in all the desk is of great quality and very sturdy. It moves very fast with the dual motor setup. Extremely happy with it.
Old 2nd April 2019, 19:55   #27
BHPian

For last one year I have repurposed a bathla iron board with adjustable height for this. Advantages are many -

- I have a 1.8 year old, so laptop and all other equipment stays tall when he's around and awake. Goes down when he's sleeping or out.

- I can sit or stand whenever I please. I sit until bottom heats up, I stand till leg hurts. Then I go for a walk

- This iron board comes with cable management, so no low hanging wires. Look at it.

- It's light, I can move my table (if I can call it that) around when maid comes to sweep and if I am not ready to leave laptop yet.

If you are using laptops, I don't see any negatives on this. But if you have a proper desktop, you may be better off with real tables.
Old 27th June 2019, 15:39   #28
Team-BHP Support

Came across this one which i thought was an interesting (and more affordable) bridge solution:
The 'Standing Desk' Thread-1_ac26239ceebf477b8af9dd658ca40e6c.jpg

The 'Standing Desk' Thread-3_cf1bf80901bf422284776cc8c171fb3d.jpg
Old 30th June 2020, 14:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
How about something like this, that can be used on existing table itself? I am curious to try this, but not fully committed to invest too much.
Did you get this or receive any review?
Old 28th September 2020, 18:39   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Had a carpenter at home for some other work, so got a cheap standing desk made from him. Cost maybe 1500 bucks in total.

Keyboard is exactly at elbow level:
The 'Standing Desk' Thread-20200928-09.41.09.jpg

Very solid folding mechanism:
The 'Standing Desk' Thread-20200928-09.44.31.jpg

Another look:
The 'Standing Desk' Thread-20200928-09.41.22.jpg

Folded away when not in use:
The 'Standing Desk' Thread-20200926-15.15.06.jpg

After talking to Rehaan, I'm going to get a laptop stand to bring the screen to eye level, and a separate keyboard down at the elbow level.

I like my chair & seating position and my comfy recliner, so am planning to split the standing, sitting & recliner in a 33:33:33 ratio.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks