Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2017, 20:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Senior Citizen Mobility: Stair-Climbing Wheelchair Review

Excellent . Never know that this type of wheelchair exists. It will be very useful for the elderly.
Thanks GTO for improving my knowledge.
Old 20th December 2017, 11:20   #17
BHPian

Very interesting review. I never knew that a wheel chair like this existed, I've seen stair climbing walkers before.

Was there any reason that you chose this over a stair lift system?
Old 20th December 2017, 13:01   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the appreciation, guys. I know that, with Team-BHP's reach, this thread will help many other senior citizens & the disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The only drawback I see (dangerous as well) is that it doesn't have a seatbelt or a strap to hold back the passenger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I was going through their website. They have the option of seatbelt and harness available for this model.
It has a 4-point seatbelt. Here's a clearer picture of the same:
Senior Citizen Mobility: Stair-Climbing Wheelchair Review-20171220-12.49.47.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
I am sure you would have considered all possible options, but something I really liked was this
Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
Was there any reason that you chose this over a stair lift system?
I had deeply researched on this option too and it was available in India (IIRC, even Vingrace has it).

Off the back of my head, the disadvantages of deploying that from the ground to 3rd floor were:

1. Cost was in the region of 10 lakhs or more (for 3 floors).

2. No flexibility. Our stairclimber chair can be used on flat ground or packed in a car's boot for offsite locations.

3. The walls of the staircase needed to be beefed up to hold the extra weight & stress on them.

4. Maybe because of our building's design, but it was not possible to have one continuous mechanism for all floors. Mom would have to get up at each floor and take the next chair up. That's why you usually see the type you showed in your post at single floor restaurants / houses only.

5. Theft! In India, anything & everything gets stolen. Imagine someone stealing this from the staircase at night. Not like you can dismantle it and park it in your house.

6. Makes the staircase much narrower (useable area).
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 13:38   #19
Team-BHP Support

Every journey begins with the first STEP

Definitely pricey... and easy to compare it to the cost of an actual vehicle...

But the fact is, without this, there wouldn't even be an opportunity for a lot of elderly people to enjoy that small hatchback, or anything else outside of their house. At least not as frequently as this enables.

Great long-term review! Hope it helps mobilize some senior citizens.

On a related note:

I'm still mind-blown that this invention by Dean Kamen (same guy who invented the Segway) called the iBot Wheelchair didn't become incredibly successful.

It was on sale in 1992, and was just wayyyyyy ahead of its time!

It was also ridiculously expensive at the time ($25,000).

However, with todays affordable technology, they should really consider manufacturing it again. It's got a lot of phenomenal advantages over a regular wheelchair or stair climber.

(Skip to 00:20 & 00:35 to watch it climb stairs)

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th December 2017 at 13:40.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 14:19   #20
BHPian

Really crisp review as expected from GTO! A useful vehicle for elderly people at home. I'll consider it too for my grandmother. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 20th December 2017, 16:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Every journey begins with the first STEP

On a related note:

I'm still mind-blown that this invention by Dean Kamen (same guy who invented the Segway) called the iBot Wheelchair didn't become incredibly successful.

It was on sale in 1992, and was just wayyyyyy ahead of its time!

It was also ridiculously expensive at the time ($25,000).
Wow - this is a segway with 4 wheels, it is self balancing, such tech way back in 92 is amazing.

Also one of our relatives have installed the lift chair (the one that slides down - and needs to be attached to walls) at their home in the States. They say life has changed for the elders in the house.

Great thread GTO.

cheers,
ac
Old 20th December 2017, 21:20   #22
jpm
BHPian

This is such a clever piece of engineering. Didn't know such a thing existed.

Like many others, did some research for my parents - considered the stair climber but rejected it for the very reasons stated above in this thread.

Last year, got a semi-outdoor home elevator that has actually increased the number of elders visiting our navaratri golu!
Old 20th December 2017, 22:18   #23
Team-BHP Support

Thanks GTO for this awesome piece of info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
Last year, got a semi-outdoor home elevator that has actually increased the number of elders visiting our navaratri golu!
Could you please elaborate more on this? Thanks.
Old 21st December 2017, 08:35   #24
BHPian

Thanks GTO for sharing. This is indeed very very useful. Thankfully, I don't need something like this right now for my parents even though they are both into their 70s but it's nice to know something like this exists. Really appreciate the share.
Old 21st December 2017, 13:27   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

When I was in Germany, I saw many of these used by people with mobility problems. Words can't explain the independence that these kind of machines bring to life of such people.

It was just a matter of time that it came to India. some days ago, I got a Whatsapp video of one elderly lady in Pune shopping for veggies and driving such a thing. Then last week, I saw one person using it near my home at a restaurant. And now we have an official TBHP review.

Along with this, our country needs some infrastructural changes. The Tendersure project in Bangalore is one such move. Although there are many people who hate it. I'm a big fan of that. I just love to drive around areas in Bangalore where this project has been completed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We didn’t even know something like it existed (one of the reasons behind this thread)!
It's only when there is a special need for us or our folks, we realise such things. Even if this thread helps once person, the intent is served.

Quote:
what the heck – is there a price one can put on mobility?

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 21st December 2017 at 13:28.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 13:51   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
That is one incredible product . Seems to be slower on stairs though if you see actual user videos (link).

Hope Toyota brings it out again - related news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklist View Post
I'll consider it too for my grandmother.
Feel free to ask any questions at all here. And ring Vingrace to set up a test-drive at your place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
Last year, got a semi-outdoor home elevator
Please share pics etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Along with this, our country needs some infrastructural changes.
Well said.

What I really like about this chair is the flexibility it offers. Can go up & down stairs, use it on a flat ground or pack it up in your car's boot. There is no place that it can't take its occupant. Restaurants, malls or outstation holiday homes pose no problem at all.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 14:33   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, it is definitely overpriced, but then, I'd rather Mom enjoys her life (versus keeping that money in an FD).
Completely agree with you. Very few options are available in India for disabled people. Thanks for sharing this.

My mom was suffering from neurological disorder and I was searching for options to keep her mobility going. I did not have problems of stairs at my place but for me transporting her in stock car was a problem. We needed to lift her from wheelchair and shift her to car seat which was very low and vice versa. This whole task was very difficult both for her and for us.

I got front seat of my Jazz changed to something like what has been mentioned in this video. I got it done from Rogers at Rajkot. Though the video is of powered seat, my installation was manual but worked in similar way and I did not have to make any changes to the structure of my car.

In India Toyota Corolla used to come with easy car seat for elders. I was ready to buy a second hand corolla. However when I inquired no such seats were available and so I searched locally and got similar set up in my Jazz.

My post may be offtopic but still I am posting this hoping that others may be able to get necessary info for their elders/disabled family members.
rutvij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 08:52   #28
BHPian

Kudos for starting this thread, sure everything on wheels got to be on Team-BHP

While engineering will keep happening to improve the quality of Life, engineering on these aspects are truly incredible and equally incredible are people like you who believe and invest to enhance the quality of Life for Seniors citizens.

Quote:
What I like:

• Greatly enhances a senior citizen's quality of life
Inspiring and Humbling.

Reading this makes me more Happy about my decision to go for a Sedan instead of a mini SUV, purely on the basis that seniors in my family would find it difficult to travel in a raised tall stance car.
Old 22nd December 2017, 12:08   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
I got front seat of my Jazz changed to something like what has been mentioned in this video. I got it done from Rogers at Rajkot.
That is just fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
In India Toyota Corolla used to come with easy car seat for elders
I remember. Here are two pictures I'd shot of it at the Auto Expo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahen_narang View Post
Inspiring and Humbling.
Thanks!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 23:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:

1. Cost was in the region of 10 lakhs or more (for 3 floors).

2. No flexibility. Our stairclimber chair can be used on flat ground or packed in a car's boot for offsite locations.

3. The walls of the staircase needed to be beefed up to hold the extra weight & stress on them.

4. Maybe because of our building's design, but it was not possible to have one continuous mechanism for all floors. Mom would have to get up at each floor and take the next chair up. That's why you usually see the type you showed in your post at single floor restaurants / houses only.

6. Makes the staircase much narrower (useable area).
Friend of mine wanted to find a solution to his mother’s mobility a few years back and had a discussion with me as he is ‘technically challenged’!
We had arrived at the same problems written here as his is a large haveli with many small and large staircases, ranging from 5 steps down to the garden and a further 3 steps to the driveway to 30 steps to the next floor (high ceilings in old havelis). He used to move his mother only in case of dire emergencies as getting her from her room on the first floor to the car involved traversing 5 staircases in all!
I had read about this kind of a chair but had no idea that it was available in India. This chair would have been ideal and most cost-effective as it can be deployed everywhere. I have already shared the link of this article with my friend.
After experiencing mobility issues of my own mother, who now moves around with the help of a walker, I have come to realise that even a small step of 3 inches can be a big obstacle.
The infrastructure around us is extremely unfriendly to the elderly and disabled.
Hope T-BHP keeps coming up with more such ‘test reviews’.

Last edited by Alfresco : 24th December 2017 at 23:41.
Alfresco is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks