Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2018, 15:51   #31
BHPian

Re: How do you watch TV?

I have an Apple TV 4k as my primary media device with a 100mbps ACT broadband connection. Works well for streaming 4k

Movies & Series:
Netflix, Prime (India), Hotstar (free streaming) and Sony LIV (paid)
Sports:
Sony LIV
News etc:
2. Youtube, Haystack and TED

Once in a while, i do rent movies from iTunes for the picture and sound quality

PS: Had switched to Apple TV 4 years ago with 2nd gen device
Old 5th April 2018, 20:42   #32
BHPian

I barely watched any television (DTH) in the last 4 years. There are two reasons for this, nothing really appealed to me and my work hours.
But with a change in my schedule now I consume contents from Netflix/Prime/Hotstar. I was using Chromecast, but the lack of Amazon Prime support just killed it for me. So I have moved on to Fire TV (which was what Amazon is counting on I guess). I have not disconnect my DTH service though, its F1 season and Tour de France a is just a few months away (keeping my fingers crossed, is there any coverage this year?).

I do think that a lot of folks (70's - 80's born) may have moved away from traditional TV, but are not ready to give up DTH just yet.
Old 6th April 2018, 05:39   #33
BHPian

Plex has gotten my attendtion for quite some time - as a media player and multimedia library in general.
With Plex adding TV streaming and DVR capabilities it is a compelling option. Does anyone has any experience using Plex for their live TV and DVR capabilities?
Old 6th April 2018, 13:08   #34
BHPian

Well, with the Internet prices going South and data size going up (for both broadband is 400 GB for Rs.999 with 50 Mbps speed and mobile which gets 75 GB per month), watching online has become the norm. Back here in Kochi, Kerala, I have the mandatory cable TV 'just in case' but it's a normal standard definition and costs just 4k a year. But off late dad being using the Fire stick, mom and wife uses the Chrome Cast for her Hot star serials, Kid uses both for Netflix. I'm mainly using the mobile for viewing as I'm hardly at home. So yeah, things have changed drastically. Only the pet dog at home if left to stream.
Old 9th April 2018, 10:39   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I have been a Tata Sky DTH subscriber for the last 10 years - infact ever since the service was introduced in my city (Jalandhar,PB).
Good to know cord cutters is a growing club here in india. Decided to move away from cable/ DTH back in 2015, Thanks to matricom G-BOX Q requisition. Only thing I miss occasionally is live sports as streaming is not always reliable and many links don't work.

Stopped watching news since level of journalism in country has dropped to abysmal low levels.

Amazon Prime addition has sweetened the experience even further.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding. Also please avoid typing like... this...

Last edited by ampere : 16th April 2018 at 08:58. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 11th April 2018, 11:00   #36
Senior - BHPian

My cord cutting exercise happened by accident. I didn't want to spend 40 EUR for a Sky subcription in Italy. So after watching the USB-DVD player way, chanced upon Plex and haven't looked back since. I did have Sky and Infinity for about 2 years to watch F1.

In India, the DTH provider that was already home (Videocon) was pathetic. I bought the additional HD connection, the DVR functionality was useless and could never get HD channels to work. Disconnected them in 2 months.

Android TV has native apps for Prime Video, Hotstar, Plex. Plus a TB of bandwidth/month from Hathway helped make the switch easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queryanalyzer View Post
its F1 season and Tour de France a is just a few months away (keeping my fingers crossed, is there any coverage this year?).
F1 is on Hotstar, the stream appears just 5 mins before the qualifying/race start though. You don't get the pre-race talks, but get the qualifying/race ad free. Not sure of Tour de France.
Old 11th April 2018, 13:49   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I was using Chromecast, but the lack of Amazon Prime support just killed it for me. So I have moved on to Fire TV (which was what Amazon is counting on I guess).
What is the issue in using Prime on chromecast? I routinely stream the same albeit from my mac/laptop but yes not from my phone.
Old 11th April 2018, 19:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
What is the issue in using Prime on chromecast? I routinely stream the same albeit from my mac/laptop but yes not from my phone.
Google Chrome allow you to cast, but for me its too much of a hassle to navigating the video (pause/play) using my laptop, and not to mention to keep the laptop handy in the living room.
Old 11th April 2018, 19:16   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
F1 is on Hotstar, the stream appears just 5 mins before the qualifying/race start though. You don't get the pre-race talks, but get the qualifying/race ad free. Not sure of Tour de France.
Can't have it all I guess. And that's a big limiting factor for me. I often DVR it and watch it later in the day.
Old 11th April 2018, 20:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I often DVR it and watch it later in the day.
Replay of the just finished qualifying/race (Bahrain) is very much there.
Old 13th April 2018, 08:47   #41
BHPian

I have cut the cord 1 year ago by using amazon fire stick.
Advantages of cutting cord:
1.1080p/ 4k streaming on Netflix, amazon, hotstar compared to outdated 1080i telecast on dth
2. Uncensored content(how the shows and movies are intended to be watched by directors prespective) on streaming platforms compared to censored content
on dth.
3. Absolute zero ad breaks on streaming platforms
4. Watching at your convenient time on Streaming platforms.
5.Some of the best tv shows are available only on streaming platforms(amazon, netflix originals).

My usage:

Tv shows/ movies:
Amazon prime, hotstar( got offer of Rs 600 for yearly premium subscription ), netflix(occasionally) ,sunnxt
News: sunnxt, youtube
Sports: hotstar

The above pretty much covers my entire usage.

My guess is that all premium channels will bring out a streaming app in the near future.
So cord cutting is the future

My conclusion:
Streaming is the future. Next big disruption will happen in the dth space similar to mobile revolution. With amazon, netflix becoming producers, there is going to be disruption in the way we watch movies both at home and in theatres
Old 14th April 2018, 01:04   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramb View Post
hotstar( got offer of Rs 600 for yearly premium subscription )
How did you get Hotstar Premium at that price?
Old 16th April 2018, 08:45   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How did you get Hotstar Premium at that price?
There was an offer in October 2017, during diwali time I guess. Could not resist the offer
Old 16th April 2018, 11:32   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramb View Post
There was an offer in October 2017, during diwali time I guess. Could not resist the offer
Lucky Bro.

Have subscribed to all sports pack for 1 year at 300. Believe its worth for IPL and premier league
Old 16th April 2018, 13:56   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Lucky Bro.

Have subscribed to all sports pack for 1 year at 300. Believe its worth for IPL and premier league
As of now the best content is with hotstar in Indian market.
Only downside is the app design and lack of 5.1 audio support.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks